Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572375 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9450 on: April 29, 2023, 05:19:28 PM »
I think that cover is great to be honest, it works for me.

I don't think it's bad, it's just a unique studio song for me.  It's one of those magic ones that never reproduces live.  Even Maiden live have never gotten anywhere near the atmosphere and feel of the studio version live.  You can't.  I would love to know how many layers of vocals there are in the chorus.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9451 on: April 29, 2023, 08:15:23 PM »
Tommy Johansson's Friday song today..
Aces High :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatyaop0Sxo

Speaking of unlistenable backing tracks....

To me the whole thing is horrendous and virtually unlistenable even the vocals.

I turned it off before the vocals started.  All the unnecessary pinch harmonics in the intro reminded me of Zach Wylde, whom I cannot stand - especially when he plays the Rhoads and Lee material.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9452 on: April 29, 2023, 09:43:19 PM »
While my biases for this song was high. I still enjoyed his version of the song. It sounds like Majestica, and I don't fault his vocals being in his style. I actually prefer when singers use their own voice, rather than trying to imitate/copy the original vocals.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9453 on: April 30, 2023, 02:48:41 AM »
While my biases for this song was high.

:P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9454 on: April 30, 2023, 04:19:01 AM »
Had no problem with Tommy's cover. His voice, his style and his tribute...end of story.  :P

The original is not sacred ground for me even though they're my childhood heroes but of course hard to beat the nostalgic feeling I get listening to it. This cover just sounds like 99% of all modern metal productions, kinda generic but we all still listen to it with various bands we like so I don't fault him for that. It's all these generic plugins that emulate the same generic crap that so many uses when doing one man projects at home. It's generic but at the same time it works and sounds whatever you might think....solid.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9455 on: May 01, 2023, 07:57:27 AM »
Tommy Johansson's Friday song today..
Aces High :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatyaop0Sxo

While this guy is super talented, this just shows what an incredible and unique voice Bruce has.

Yeah, I just threw it it there. It's really hard to hear the song any other way than the original.

That's me.   The guy is talented, surely good at what he does, but I'll probably never listen to that again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 09:03:42 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9456 on: May 01, 2023, 09:03:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/aF--clMvNFc

Could have gone in the Queen thread (Brian May) but Bruce just destroys this (in a good way!).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #9457 on: May 02, 2023, 02:42:18 PM »
I think that cover is great to be honest, it works for me.

I don't think it's bad, it's just a unique studio song for me.  It's one of those magic ones that never reproduces live.  Even Maiden live have never gotten anywhere near the atmosphere and feel of the studio version live.  You can't.  I would love to know how many layers of vocals there are in the chorus.

Oh I do agree nothing tops the original, including live Maiden. It is one of the best of its kind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9458 on: May 24, 2023, 08:34:41 AM »
There's been lots of trying to figure out the setlist for the new tour.

Believe it or not, the tour starts in just 4 days. We'll know on Sunday!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9459 on: May 24, 2023, 08:43:34 AM »
I'll be there on Sunday. By the time I get back and have internet access, the set list will already be on the web. I absolutely cannot wait.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9460 on: May 24, 2023, 08:44:10 AM »

Yeah, I've seen some fakes on reddit.  We'll know soon enough.  Still bummed we haven't gotten any US dates for this besides the festival.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9461 on: May 24, 2023, 10:46:53 AM »
I think U.S. dates will happen. I know these guys can fly in and out as they choose, but it makes zero sense to play just the festival.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9462 on: May 24, 2023, 12:35:14 PM »
I think they probably would have announced those dates by now. They've also started selling merch with all the dates (including the Canadian dates and the festival) so take that for what you will. North America will prob get a full tour in 2024.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9463 on: May 24, 2023, 02:37:27 PM »

I'm very excited for the set but know I'll be disappointed.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #9464 on: May 25, 2023, 07:36:15 AM »
If Caught Somewhere, Alexander and Hell on Earth are in there, I’ll be a happy man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9465 on: May 25, 2023, 08:08:55 AM »
If Caught Somewhere, Alexander and Hell on Earth are in there, I’ll be a happy man.

Yeah, this will make me very happy.  If somehow The Parchment also made it, I'd be over the top, but I don't expect it to make the cut if those other three also make it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9466 on: May 25, 2023, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm hoping for the appearance of the mighty Deja Vu!   :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9467 on: May 25, 2023, 09:49:35 AM »
I'm hoping for the appearance of the mighty Deja Vu!   :metal

I've LOVE this, probably more so than Alexander but I see this at effectively 0% chance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9468 on: May 25, 2023, 06:06:55 PM »
I'll be gutted if The Parchment isn't in there.  I don't like my chances, but I think we are safe when it comes to HOE.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9469 on: May 25, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »
I'll be gutted if The Parchment isn't in there.  I don't like my chances, but I think we are safe when it comes to HOE.

I think Hell On Earth is more likely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #9470 on: May 25, 2023, 06:09:40 PM »
The Parchment is definitely the make-or-break song for me in terms of whether I think this is a good setlist. I put it at a 50-50 chance of being included. Five years ago I would have put the chances much lower, but the revival of For the Greater Good of God and Sign of the Cross makes me believe a bit more in Bruce as setlist creator.

I would be shocked if Hell on Earth isn't in there.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9471 on: May 25, 2023, 06:10:27 PM »
The Parchment is definitely the make-or-break song for me in terms of whether I think this is a good setlist. I put it at a 50-50 chance of being included. Five years ago I would have put the chances much lower, but the revival of For the Greater Good of God and Sign of the Cross makes me believe a bit more in Bruce as setlist creator.

You're not getting BOTH The Parchment and Hell On Earth.

Offline 425

« Reply #9472 on: May 25, 2023, 06:11:05 PM »
In 2018 I would have said "you're not getting two Blaze-era epics."

I think it could happen.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9473 on: May 25, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »
Would be keen for an Aus show regardless but if Hell On Earth is indeed on the setlist there'd be no question  :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #9474 on: May 25, 2023, 06:41:20 PM »
In 2018 I would have said "you're not getting two Blaze-era epics."

I think it could happen.

Just to bolster my point, looking at the tour announcement, Steve is quoted as saying: "It will also be particularly satisfying to finally get to play some of the more epic tracks on Senjutsu, it's been a long wait!" and Rod is quoted as saying: "We know fans want to hear those epic cuts on Senjutsu for the first time live and we think that by combining it with an iconic album like Somewhere In Time it will make for another really special tour for fans old and new!"

To me, this implies a strong chance of there being more than one epic from Senjutsu in the set. I think Hell on Earth is a virtual lock; the band knows how well it's been received. Let's say there's just one other; that could be any of the other ones on the album, but Bruce seems to really like The Parchment. So why couldn't it be that one?

The tour poster at least hints at five SiT songs and five Senjutsu songs (the "Samurai 5 Cyborgs 5" ticker). I think Writing on the Wall comes back, and maybe Stratego, but not the title track. So what are the others? My prediction is Hell on Earth, Days of Future Past and one other epic.

(My prediction for the SiT songs is: Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years, Heaven Can Wait, Stranger in a Strange Land, Alexander the Great.)
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9475 on: May 25, 2023, 09:09:18 PM »

You're not getting BOTH The Parchment and Hell On Earth.

Hmmm.....maybe, however I think there's a chance.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9476 on: May 26, 2023, 01:39:42 AM »
As much as I love The Parchment now (it used to be my least favorite on the album), I still don't think it will be played. It's way too slow for a live show. If they perform one more epic other than Hell on earth, it will probably be Lost in a lost world. Maybe Death of the Celts. Also, lets not forget there might be a chance they're counting Darkest hour or The Time machine as epics. They're just as long as Phantom and Hallowed.

When it comes to Somewhere in time... Well, Alexander has to be played. It just has to. Period.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9477 on: May 26, 2023, 09:26:38 AM »
As much as I love The Parchment now (it used to be my least favorite on the album), I still don't think it will be played. It's way too slow for a live show. If they perform one more epic other than Hell on earth, it will probably be Lost in a lost world. Maybe Death of the Celts. Also, lets not forget there might be a chance they're counting Darkest hour or The Time machine as epics. They're just as long as Phantom and Hallowed.

When it comes to Somewhere in time... Well, Alexander has to be played. It just has to. Period.

To be fair, Senjutsu (the track) is even slower than Parchment and it still made it. Of course, it gets title track privileges (and was used in a one-two punch of Senjutsu->Stratego last tour), but considering that Bruce even mentioned the concept of Parchment being played live (outside of the context of a "Senjutsu-only tour", he just said it was one of his favorites in the album and that he liked the idea of getting to take a break in the middle), I wouldn't rule it out.

Definitely agree with Alexander having to be played. Lifting the curse of "we won't play tracks we didn't play in the original tour" would feel so good (maybe it'd give them a confidence boost, like "alright, we CAN work on new arrangements for tracks we didn't play before"). Maybe not, but this is definitely Alexander's time to shine.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9478 on: May 26, 2023, 09:46:20 AM »
I'm not quoting anyone because I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but given a choice of any of the epics on Senjitsu, and "Alexander the Great", I'm taking the Senjitsu tunes all day long.  I just don't share the affection for that tune; there are six other tunes on that record I'd much rather hear, maybe seven (I don't like TLOTLDR either, but the twin guitar harmonies in that tune are something to behold).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9479 on: May 26, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »
I used to love Alexander.  I think I had it ranked top 5 back when we did the Maiden top 50 thread.  I've since come to realize that it's kind of clunky and doesn't work that well in a lot of respects, so I don't rate it as high as I used to.  But I do still like it and wouldn't mind seeing it live.  I just don't feel like it is a "must see" for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #9480 on: May 26, 2023, 10:42:52 AM »
I agree that it is not their most well-constructed epic, and I don't think the vocal parts are as great as they could have been. But the incredible stuff Adrian does on that song is enough to make up for that and put it in my top 15 Maiden songs.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9481 on: May 26, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
I used to love Alexander.  I think I had it ranked top 5 back when we did the Maiden top 50 thread.  I've since come to realize that it's kind of clunky and doesn't work that well in a lot of respects, so I don't rate it as high as I used to.  But I do still like it and wouldn't mind seeing it live. I just don't feel like it is a "must see" for me.

Only really "must see" because they haven't played it before IMO.  I agree, it's a good song but it's really nothing special and kind of clunky. I'd rather The Parchment if it some how became up to playing one of those two epics.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9482 on: May 26, 2023, 12:43:24 PM »
And Alexander did some really cool stuff.
And then he marched and marched to somewhere else.
And then he did some other cool stuff.
He was a really cool dude!

Alexander kicked some guy's ass.
And then he went and fought another guy.
And then he kicked the first guys ass again.
Whoa...what a great guy he was.

The lyrics are clunky, but it's a really cool song, and, IMO, its miles and miles better than anything I've heard from Senjutsu.  Everything I've heard has been a massive snoozefest.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #9483 on: May 26, 2023, 04:28:21 PM »
The lyrics to Alexander the Great are awesome when you are playing trivial pursuit and you get the question: "Where did Alexander the Great die?"

I'm pretty sceptical it will be played but it would be awesome even though I think the SiT songs will be the obvious ones..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9484 on: May 26, 2023, 04:46:55 PM »
...IMO, its miles and miles better than anything I've heard from Senjutsu.  Everything I've heard has been a massive snoozefest.

Outside of the band and Stadler, I don't think there are many that love that album.  (and Stadler's team will probably have an estimated 5 fewer players once the next album drops)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."