Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572854 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9240 on: December 21, 2022, 10:18:12 AM »
Plus, all the gossip about a causes...smoking...oral sex. You do know what the number one cause of death is, right? Being born...100% guaranteed. Enjoy it while it's here.

Yeah. That was just... odd :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9241 on: December 21, 2022, 11:55:38 AM »
Plus, all the gossip about a causes...smoking...oral sex. You do know what the number one cause of death is, right? Being born...100% guaranteed. Enjoy it while it's here.

Yeah. That was just... odd :lol

I mean, the oral sex thing wasn't gossip. Bruce came out and said the cancer was from HPV that he believes he got from oral sex.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9242 on: December 21, 2022, 02:14:12 PM »
Uuuum. Did anyone actually read the article at all? Dude's in remission and out on tour. That was a feel good fluff piece and y'all are ready for a funeral. Plus, all the gossip about a causes...smoking...oral sex. You do know what the number one cause of death is, right? Being born...100% guaranteed. Enjoy it while it's here.

Do you mean that as soon as you're born, you're dying?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #9243 on: December 21, 2022, 02:25:47 PM »
Uuuum. Did anyone actually read the article at all? Dude's in remission and out on tour. That was a feel good fluff piece and y'all are ready for a funeral. Plus, all the gossip about a causes...smoking...oral sex. You do know what the number one cause of death is, right? Being born...100% guaranteed. Enjoy it while it's here.

Well played, my friend...well played  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9244 on: December 21, 2022, 02:48:38 PM »

Wow!  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9245 on: December 21, 2022, 04:15:46 PM »

That must be an Iron Maiden reference I'm not aware of, so in true TAC fashion...

WTF?!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline nick_z

« Reply #9246 on: December 21, 2022, 04:26:40 PM »

That must be an Iron Maiden reference I'm not aware of, so in true TAC fashion...

WTF?!

:lol

Yeah, it's a line from the chorus in The Clairvoyant  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9247 on: December 21, 2022, 04:51:41 PM »

WTF?!

:lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9248 on: December 24, 2022, 06:46:28 AM »
On to merrier things, AMAZING behind-the-scenes with Bruce during the Legacy of the Beast tour!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj4-4v0pKSI&ab_channel=IronMaiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBn7PHpevfI&ab_channel=IronMaiden

This is the kind of video I've always wanted to see, a complete discovery of what happens inbetween songs and how do they organize for all the changes of sceneries and clothes. Brilliant choice for a video, especially from the point of view of the singer!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9249 on: December 24, 2022, 08:31:50 AM »
That was just fantastic.  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9250 on: December 24, 2022, 11:27:42 AM »
First of all, super cool!

Second, at the 26 second mark of the part 2 video, Bruce is standing in front of a rack of guitars, and there are two 5-string basses.  When does Steve use a 5-string bass??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9251 on: December 24, 2022, 09:01:23 PM »
I loved those videos and couldn't believe how busy Bruce is during the show.  Hats off to Maiden for creating one hell of a concert/tour. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9252 on: December 25, 2022, 02:51:55 AM »
I loved those videos and couldn't believe how busy Bruce is during the show.  Hats off to Maiden for creating one hell of a concert/tour.

When he did his book tour, I got the chance to ask him a question (through the written cards he was collecting), and mine was "what is your stream of consciousness during a concert? what do you think about during a show?", and he started by recalling all the steps he had to do as coming out, change, get the prop for The Trooper etc (it was early 2019, the LotB tour already started so he used the first songs of the set as an explanation), to make a point of how he was so concentrated on everything he had to do and what would come after, "and you don't even notice it because you're all there YEEEEEEH  :metal". "Sometimes they ask me what it's like to play in front of 40K people and I say I don't really know, I'm too concentrated on what I'm doing". Not verbatim, but that was his point. This video only demonstrates how he REALLY has to be focused the entire time on what he's doing, and what he's about to do next (see even the details as having to wear the flamethrower before the end of Sign of the Cross and then having to sing the end in a way that disguises it).

I chuckled at how sometimes he panics when Nicko starts Fear of the Dark too soon while he's still changing, I totally understand that  :lol sometimes I thought about these details and wondered how they must race against time in certain moments. That's the rock n' roll equivalent of being late for work and knowing the subway train is about to arrive, but you can't find your keys or something else and you start to curse the lack of time  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9253 on: December 25, 2022, 09:36:07 AM »
That's awesome!  I was amazed to see that he's preparing for Flight of Icarus during the instrumental section of Sign of the Cross, then has to go back out, not fall down the stairs, finish the song, then use the cross to distract from the Icarus prop going up behind him, then tossing off the cloak, all within a matter of minutes, and all while trying to relax his breathing and throat muscles.  The guy is absolutely amazing at what he does along with understanding what is required of him to entertain the audience. 

Offline krands85

« Reply #9254 on: December 26, 2022, 07:54:44 AM »
Agreed, those videos were a great insight. Sadly I've never seen them live, but it looks like they really go all out to put together a great experience for the fans. Bruce must be absolutely shattered after every show  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9255 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:48 PM »
I bought the Senjutsu "gift pack," which comes with 3 bottles of Sun and Steel beer and a branded glass.  I was disappointed that Total Wine didn't have any of the other Maiden branded beer.  We'll see how the S&S is once it's been properly refrigerated.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9256 on: December 29, 2022, 07:51:07 PM »
I bought the Senjutsu "gift pack," which comes with 3 bottles of Sun and Steel beer and a branded glass.  I was disappointed that Total Wine didn't have any of the other Maiden branded beer.  We'll see how the S&S is once it's been properly refrigerated.

I had that exact same pack on my Christmas list. Didn't get it...

But I did get this from my stepson!

Total Wine usually has the Troopers. I've gotten The Red And The Black there a few times as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9257 on: December 29, 2022, 07:58:29 PM »
That's fucking sweet, Tim!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9258 on: December 29, 2022, 08:46:24 PM »
Indeed, that's epic!  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #9259 on: December 30, 2022, 02:13:35 PM »
Love it!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9260 on: January 03, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
So...I tried the Sun and Steel beer over the weekend with a burger.  It was very meh (unlike the song it's named after, which is awesome).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9261 on: January 03, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »
That's a cool beer mug, but I agree, Sun & Steel is not a very good beer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9262 on: January 03, 2023, 01:36:33 PM »
I had heard a lot of complaints about Sun And Steel. I wouldn't get it again on purpose, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it had been made out to be.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9263 on: January 03, 2023, 01:43:21 PM »
10 years late to the party on this side issue, but:  One of my kids was scrolling through my Amazon wish list and decided to give me the En Vivo! CD set.  I've had the DVD for a long time, but have wanted it on CD so I could listen to the audio whenever I want.  So glad to finally have this after all this time.  This is easily my favorite official live performance from the band.  And it's nice to have Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier as separate tracks as well.  Anyway, I'm going to go listen to El Dorado on auto repeat for the next few hours...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9264 on: January 03, 2023, 01:53:12 PM »
10 years late to the party on this side issue, but:  One of my kids was scrolling through my Amazon wish list and decided to give me the En Vivo! CD set.  I've had the DVD for a long time, but have wanted it on CD so I could listen to the audio whenever I want.  So glad to finally have this after all this time.  This is easily my favorite official live performance from the band.  And it's nice to have Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier as separate tracks as well.  Anyway, I'm going to go listen to El Dorado on auto repeat for the next few hours...

Agree on how good that set is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9265 on: January 03, 2023, 01:55:28 PM »
10 years late to the party on this side issue, but:  One of my kids was scrolling through my Amazon wish list and decided to give me the En Vivo! CD set.  I've had the DVD for a long time, but have wanted it on CD so I could listen to the audio whenever I want.  So glad to finally have this after all this time.  This is easily my favorite official live performance from the band.  And it's nice to have Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier as separate tracks as well. Anyway, I'm going to go listen to El Dorado on auto repeat for the next few hours...

I have the blu-ray, not the CD set and didn't realize they were smart enough to fix that mistake on the album.  I almost never listen to the title track because of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9266 on: January 04, 2023, 03:07:21 AM »

Bah!  You stole my comeback right at the end there.    ;D

The Talisman here could be my fav Bruce performance ever.  It's just unbelievable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9267 on: January 04, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »
Yep. Those high notes are unbelievable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9268 on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:28 PM »
Yep. Those high notes are unbelievable.

I think it's better than the studio version.

TFF took a long while to grow on me but now it's right up there.  I remember revisiting En Vivo and really enjoying it.  I was never that keen on the set to be honest, but don't really have an issue with it now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9269 on: January 04, 2023, 04:42:44 PM »
The Talisman is my favorite Reunion Era song and TFF is my favorite Reunion Era album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9270 on: January 05, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »
Blimey! :omg:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64173882

Iron Maiden release limited edition postal stamps with Royal Mail
By Imogen James
BBC News

Members of the iconic heavy metal group Iron Maiden have joined a select few musicians with the honour of having their own postage stamps.

The new collection, available for pre-order from Thursday, includes 12 stamps.

Eight stamps feature pictures from their tours across the world over the years, and feature all current members of the band.

The band's popular mascot Eddie is also pictured on four of the stamps.

They are only the fifth group to be honoured with a stamp issue, following on from The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen and the Rolling Stones.

The images used in the collection range from 1980 to 2018 and include a photo from their 1983 gig in Hammersmith, and a 2008 gig at Twickenham Stadium.

There are also group shots, such as one of Dave Murray, Bruce Dickinson and Janick Gers in Rio de Janeiro, January 2001.

A stamp of Eddie shows an image from the cover of the band's first album, while another depicts him as a Samurai warrior echoing the cover art of the latest album.

The eight stamps of the band are priced at £11.70, and the four of Eddie at £5.60.

Both sets have a mixture of first class and £1.85 stamps, and will be available from January 12.

Other items are being released as part of the collection, including postcards.

Founding member and bassist, Steve Harris, said the band was astounded with the project and were speechless when they saw the stamps for the first time.

He continued: "They look superb and I think they really capture the essence and energy of Maiden. We're all very proud that Royal Mail has chosen to honour the band's legacy like this and we know our fans will feel the same way."

Formed by Steve Harris in east London in 1975, Iron maiden have sold more than 130 million copies of their albums worldwide and are considered one of the most influential rock bands of all time.

They have received Grammy's, Brit Awards and recently finished their Legacy Of The Beast World Tour where they played to over 3 million fans.

The band's last album Senjutsu was released in September and debuted at number one in 27 countries.

Iron maiden recently announced their next tour, The Future Past Tour, which will kick off in Europe this summer.

David Gold, director of external public affairs and policy at Royal Mail, added: "Few bands in the history of rock music can be called bona fide rock legends - but Iron Maiden are just that - and more.

"With legions of devoted fans of all ages and from every corner of the globe, not only have they changed the way rock music sounds, but they have also changed the way it looks. We fully expect their fans will love these stamps as much as we do."
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9271 on: January 05, 2023, 08:58:46 AM »

They are only the fifth group to be honoured with a stamp issue, following on from The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen and the Rolling Stones.

That's shocking to me; no Zeppelin? 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9272 on: January 05, 2023, 09:53:02 AM »
Stamps are a big deal, right?  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9273 on: January 05, 2023, 02:25:59 PM »

That's shocking to me; no Zeppelin?

Seems like the Royal Mail have a decent taste in music then.  ;D

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #9274 on: January 08, 2023, 04:00:41 PM »
This is fantastic!  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.