Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 558138 times)

axeman90210 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9205 on: October 24, 2022, 04:38:32 AM »
It really is a great show, the only people who seem to be complaining about it are idiots who've watched some dodgy cell-phone footage on YouTube. I'd defy anyone to sit in an arena and absorb this with their own eyes and ears and not be blown away by the sheer bombastic spectacle of it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9206 on: October 24, 2022, 04:41:43 AM »
Glad that you had such a great time, 425!  :tup

In indsight, I can't believe it took them 40 years to put a rope for Hallowed Be Thy Name, it was the most logical thing to do ever since its release, and it's a prop that takes little to no effort  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9207 on: October 24, 2022, 06:43:01 AM »
My show is finally here tonight! Only my second time seeing them (after Maiden England 2012), since I've often just failed to be living in the right place at the right time. I'll be the weirdo who gets more excited for Sign of the Cross than for any other song.

This would be me also.

Yeah, that's not weird at all.

I went to the first Legacy show for the express purpose of seeing Bruce sing Sign Of The Cross.  It's a highlight of the set, IMO.  I think it's the most "Bruce-like" song from the Blaze era ("Bruce-like", meaning, most like the material that they are putting out today).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9208 on: October 24, 2022, 06:57:33 AM »
Okay, whoa. Take as a grain of salt that I am very much not a heavy concertgoer, having gone to probably somewhere in the range of 8-10 shows in my teenage and adult life. But that was my favorite concert I've ever been to.

Pretty much every element has been spoiled to me by the internet, from the setlist to the stage show, but so much of it still blew me away.

First, the performance was excellent. Sure, someone missed a phrase in a solo here or there, but who cares? They absolutely brought it tonight, all the energy and intensity I love Maiden for. Bruce was particularly incredible. I think he's somehow become more energetic and theatrical on stage over time, or at least that's how he came across to me. And I know the general review has been that he's lost a step this tour, but I thought his singing was great. Maybe if I listened back to the soundboard recording I'd spot all sorts of imperfections, but from the audience perspective, he really delivered, all the way from Senjutsu through Aces High. I can't imagine complaining after seeing and hearing him go out there and give his absolute all, with those results.

Second, I'm a really big fan of the setlist. Would I have wanted to hear For the Greater Good of Good? Absolutely. Where Eagles Dare? For sure. But count me in the minority faction that really liked Senjutsu as an opener. Now, I don't think every opener necessarily needs to be super up-tempo (I've long thought Face in the Sand would be a cool opener) and I really like the song, so I was probably primed to like it. But I thought there was plenty of energy even in front of an American audience with the usual mixed reaction to the album. Having Eddie show up during this song was a stroke of genius, because it was unexpected and helped get the crowd more into it. And then the kick into Stratego amped things up well into the high-energy gear that people expect in a typical opener. Did people react even bigger when Revelations started? Yeah. But that's obviously going to happen whenever a classic gets played. I, at least, was really happy with the Senjutsu-Stratego opening.

On the other hand, I think The Clansman fell flat with a lot of the audience. Part of it was that it was so late in the show, so people were starting to get tired, and then it not being a classic compounded to make some people even sit down during it (and pop back up for Run to the Hills). Again, I think it's unavoidable when you put a non-popular song in that spot in the setlist. Still, I really appreciate the band believing in that song enough to keep it in there for us diehards who love it. The lame crowd response to it was the largest blemish on the show, but I can't care that much when I got to see them absolutely nail THE song that got me into Iron Maiden (and really metal, and prog), a song that a few years ago I thought was surely on the shelf for good.

It was the other Blaze-era piece that was my highlight of the night, though, as you probably could have predicted given my earlier posts. I love Sign of the Cross dearly, and it carries a lot of personal emotion for me. I'm so grateful that they not only played it, but pulled out all the stops to make it a special part of the show. I don't know how it came across to others there—people were obviously less into it than the classics but maintained pretty high energy because it was early in the show—and I could be biased, but it really came across to me like it was meant to be one of the pillars of the set. It's the first part of the show where I can remember seeing pyro, Bruce has a dedicated costume for it, it got a dedicated backdrop that wasn't just repurposed album art... it was really given the pride of place that it deserves.

Over the years I've complained some about the way they sped up Sign of the Cross on Rock in Rio and how I feel like that loses a lot of the sense of The X Factor. I couldn't swear to the tempo they played it at tonight, but seeing it person really did feel like the emotion of The X Factor brought back to life onstage 27 years later. The thing is, almost no one really cares about The X Factor, and they could just as easily not have done it. Hell, Bruce could just say "Those aren't my songs, I'm not singing them." But they did, and not only did they play it, but they created a special experience for fans of the album. I'd say that was the closest thing I've had to a religious experience at a concert (even beating out seeing Ghost Love Score earlier this year).

I can also finally check off Hallowed Be Thy Name. The only other time I saw them was the 2012 Maiden England tour, on which they did not play it. Really liked the setup with the cell and the noose.

I could say a lot about the stage show and the props, too, but I'll just mention a few favorites: the HBTN noose and all of Sign of the Cross, which I mentioned already; the Icarus statue and the melting of his wings; the green light Bruce held for Fear of the Dark; the HBTN noose; Bruce shooting Eddie during The Trooper; and obviously the plane during Aces High.

Alright, I'll stop going on, just wanted to get my thoughts down tonight while it was all still fresh.

WOW.  I could have written all of that, word for word, from my show.  I too noticed the slowdown at "The Clansman", even with the "FREEDOM!" chant; it would have been better earlier, but it wouldn't have made sense earlier, either, so there's that. 

I think the degree to which Bruce has not just tolerated, but embraced the Blaze material - I mean, rough numbers, he's dedicating 20 full minutes to a maligned period of the band - is one of the things I love most about him.  TSOTC IS one of the more theatrical numbers; and the song benefits from it.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9209 on: October 24, 2022, 07:05:00 AM »
Another fan here of Signs of the Cross sang by Bruce. Have loved the live renditions of it since I heard it in the Rock in Rio live album.

Online Mladen

« Reply #9210 on: October 24, 2022, 08:09:36 AM »
Sign of the cross was even more the centerpiece of the tour on the previous leg. Outfits, props, backdrop, pyro, everything just indicated that the song was this tour's Seventh son, Rime or Wild wind. The crowd does seem to be into it as well, which makes me happy.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #9211 on: October 24, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »
Another fan here of Signs of the Cross sang by Bruce. Have loved the live renditions of it since I heard it in the Rock in Rio live album.

Same. TBH, with no disrespect to Blaze, I always wished Maiden would have re-recorded some of those two Blaze records with Bruce, Sign of the Cross being one of them (and The Clansman). I respect the hell out of Blaze Bailey. But those songs come to life when sung by Bruce.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9212 on: October 24, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »
I couldn't see the stage head on this last time, but the first leg, when the stage lit up in blue stained glass...   glorious.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9213 on: October 24, 2022, 02:24:26 PM »
SNIP

WOW.  I could have written all of that, word for word, from my show. 

Yup. Same here other than this was closer to my 18th time seeing IM (I'd have to count) but the sentiment remains the same.  I saw them last Friday and while having seen 3 shows on the previous leg and knowing basically everything they were going to do, it still came off as an epic performance.

Let me start by saying the Prudential Center was PACKED.  It was sold out, but I can't recall ever seeing so many people at this venue before.  I was on the floor, in the back, and even the back of the floor was packed.  It wasn't like many concerts where you can see people all up close on the floor and the back empty, NOPE, the floor was jammed and even the folks in the back were singing and rocking out (like myself). 

I still think Sign of the Cross is also the highlight of this tour.  Senjutsu itself was just as I expected it, an extremely boring opener.  I actually don't think the crowd cared much at all for this song as once they hit the stage and got their "coming out" pop, the crowd was dead for this track until Eddie came out to bring some more life to the song. I hope they do not play this on the next tour.  Having said that, Stratego (here's my full recording of the song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDK4rDsoHf8) and The Writing on the Wall were both really good live.  I had initially also ranked Stratego fairly low on the album, but it came off sooo much better live.  The Writing on the Wall finally got the crowd going a little bit though.  I think people have come to really like this song (including myself).

Bruce had a few good lines throughout the night.  "Is it old fucking jersey or new fucking jersey?!"  :lol Bruce is also on another level.  He sounded pretty damn good to me that night and his energy is just through the roof.  Also, Within Temptation were awesome.  Great opener IMO. 

Iron Maiden & Within Temptation LIVE @ Prudential Center Newark NJ 2022

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9214 on: October 24, 2022, 06:32:20 PM »
My favorite Bruce quote from the Chicago show was during his intro to Blood Brothers.  He went into how there were people from all over the world and started naming off the countries on the banners that fans had made.  In the front row was a banner that said those fans were from Florida.

"...Mexico, that's a country.  Brazil, that's a country.  Florida...well, they think they're a country, but they're really not."   :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #9215 on: October 25, 2022, 02:59:54 AM »
My favorite Bruce quote from the Chicago show was during his intro to Blood Brothers.  He went into how there were people from all over the world and started naming off the countries on the banners that fans had made.  In the front row was a banner that said those fans were from Florida.

"...Mexico, that's a country.  Brazil, that's a country.  Florida...well, they think they're a country, but they're really not."   :lol

:laugh:

Having seen Maiden a number of times and preferring to save my dollars to put towards bucket list bands well you folks are making it extremely hard to say no to any further Maiden shows.  Ya had me at the Sign Of The Cross writeup...

About the only number I would love for them to include (if they've not?) is Hell On Earth which has grown to be one of my all time Maiden faves! :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9216 on: October 25, 2022, 03:20:35 AM »
I'm quite confident Hell on Earth will be played in 2023!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9217 on: October 25, 2022, 04:06:59 AM »
Yeah, will be very surprised if HOE isn't played next year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9218 on: October 25, 2022, 08:10:07 AM »
Yeah, I think Hell on Earth will be played.  I'm pretty sure the band recognized the fan love for it after release.  Now I would really like to see The Parchment too and I'm more iffy if they would play that. 

Online Mladen

« Reply #9219 on: October 25, 2022, 02:40:17 PM »
Yeah, I think Hell on Earth will be played.  I'm pretty sure the band recognized the fan love for it after release.  Now I would really like to see The Parchment too and I'm more iffy if they would play that.
All of this.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9220 on: October 25, 2022, 05:07:53 PM »

I'll be gutted if they don't play the Parchment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9221 on: October 25, 2022, 08:00:05 PM »
Been watching some clips of the current US leg and Bruce sounds amazing. He's been really strong on this tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9222 on: October 27, 2022, 06:31:36 AM »
Since we all are waiting for the next Somewhere on Tour, here's an amazing live tribute to SIT (with Raphael Mendes on vocals):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6YDNGX8QJs&t=965s
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9225 on: December 20, 2022, 03:24:50 PM »
Glad they caught it early.  Sad to see another IM member battle with cancer though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9226 on: December 20, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »
Oh gosh. Dreadful news. Glad he was very smart about it and contacted a doctor immediately. Best of wishes to him!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9227 on: December 20, 2022, 03:49:59 PM »
Wow.  Props to him for getting it checked right away.  Can't say I've really heard of that type of cancer before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9228 on: December 20, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »
It's weird that both Nicko and Bruce had cancer in their throat area.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9229 on: December 20, 2022, 04:38:09 PM »
Smoking eventually kills.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9230 on: December 20, 2022, 04:43:58 PM »

Bruce was a smoker?

Also was thinking about a Nicko/ribs/restaurant/smoking joke but got nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9231 on: December 20, 2022, 04:46:29 PM »
I wasn't aware of either being smokers

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9232 on: December 20, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »

Bruce was a smoker?

Who really knows but even being around it on tours since the late 70,s isn’t healthy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9233 on: December 20, 2022, 04:49:40 PM »

Bruce was a smoker?

Who really knows but even being around it on tours since the late 70,s isn’t healthy.

I guess, but it's a stretch to say it's a reason behind both of them getting mouth related cancers.

I know Dave is/was a smoker.  I'm sure one of the old concert vids you can see him puffing on a cig before the show.  Or maybe it was one of the backstage documentaries.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9234 on: December 20, 2022, 04:57:21 PM »
I was just speculating. Who knows but it sucks.

Online Mladen

« Reply #9235 on: December 21, 2022, 01:24:02 AM »
Good Lord. Horrible news. But still, here's to another confirmation that these guys are indestructible.  :tup

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #9236 on: December 21, 2022, 02:04:15 AM »
Bruce was not (necessarily) wrong when he stated oral sex caused it. His case was due to a viral HPV infection. An HPV infection can cause a lesion that lingers and that can turn cancerous even decades later.

But yes terrible news, hopefully another case of a metal star pulling through and rocking again soon!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9237 on: December 21, 2022, 04:55:39 AM »
Uuuum. Did anyone actually read the article at all? Dude's in remission and out on tour. That was a feel good fluff piece and y'all are ready for a funeral. Plus, all the gossip about a causes...smoking...oral sex. You do know what the number one cause of death is, right? Being born...100% guaranteed. Enjoy it while it's here.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Mladen

« Reply #9238 on: December 21, 2022, 07:21:19 AM »
He might be in the clear for a year now, but it's still news to us. And horrible piece of news at that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9239 on: December 21, 2022, 08:52:34 AM »
Uuuum. Did anyone actually read the article at all? Dude's in remission and out on tour. That was a feel good fluff piece and y'all are ready for a funeral. Plus, all the gossip about a causes...smoking...oral sex. You do know what the number one cause of death is, right? Being born...100% guaranteed. Enjoy it while it's here.

Huh, yeah I read it.  I don't recall the article stating the origin of the cancer.  They aren't even on tour, the tour is over which the article made it seem like was about to happen.