Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 566707 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9170 on: October 19, 2022, 09:10:34 AM »
Were you behind me, or on the other side?  I suspect you were behind me, because Bruce spent a lot of time on my side back stage (his little cubicle was to Nicko's right hand, right below where the "bars" were for Hallowed....

No, I live in Chicago, but saw them 2 weeks ago on this same leg of the tour when they came through town.   :)  My seats were a little further out in front, so my perspective wasn't straight sideways.  In the pic below, I caught someone's head blocking the left side of the stage.  But I could see the backstage area behind that side.

Funny anecdote about Chicago - Sharon den Adel had the drummer for Within Temptation stand up and show that he was wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey.  She said he's a big fan and bought the jersey that day.  They were playing at the United Center where the Bulls play, and where the championship banners are hung along with Michael Jordan's retired number.  It's pretty cool that a European basketball fan can be thrilled to play a concert in the same arena where Michael Jordan and the Bulls won their titles. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9171 on: October 19, 2022, 03:30:45 PM »
Decent performance from Bruce on that one.

When I saw them a few weeks ago, Aces High was the one song where I felt he struggled a little.  On other songs like Revelations, he sounded just like he did in 1983 and I was just blown away.

That's why I posted that comment.  He's always struggled with Aces High IMO, so I was quite surprised what he was able to pull off here.  No doubt then the rest of the songs would have been fantastic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9172 on: October 19, 2022, 03:33:31 PM »
Decent performance from Bruce on that one.

When I saw them a few weeks ago, Aces High was the one song where I felt he struggled a little.  On other songs like Revelations, he sounded just like he did in 1983 and I was just blown away.

That's why I posted that comment.  He's always struggled with Aces High IMO, so I was quite surprised what he was able to pull off here.  No doubt then the rest of the songs would have been fantastic.

He kicked the ever-living shit out of Hallowed Be Thy Name on Monday night.  I know it's not a popular song, but same with Senjutsu.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9173 on: October 19, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »
I gotta admit, I haven't paid much attention to this leg. I thought it was ridiculous that they came back with the Legacy Of The Beast show, but adding 3 of the worst songs off the new album.
Plus, Ticketmaster literally priced me out of even thinking about going.

The stage is still incredible, and the new Senjutsu stage set is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9174 on: October 19, 2022, 03:43:04 PM »
Knowing what they are doing next, continuing this current tour just feels like the biggest cock tease.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9175 on: October 19, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
Well, they come to the US like every 3 or 4 years, and to tour basically the same show is annoying.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9176 on: October 19, 2022, 03:48:44 PM »
Well, they come to the US like every 3 or 4 years, and to tour basically the same show is annoying.

We are still waiting for them to come back after cancelling for COVID when it all started.  This tour at least should have come to places like us.  I would have no complaints this show coming.  I'll happily wait if the next one comes to us, seems like too much of a novelty tour for us.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9177 on: October 20, 2022, 01:39:53 AM »
Fascinating discussion in the latest posts about the crew at work, and enjoying glimps of behind the scenes.

Iron Maiden is my favorite band and I would pay to stand backstage during a concert.

I'd like to be on tour with them for a week or so, and seeing a show from every angle - One night, I get granted a slot in the middle of the front row. Another night, I stand backstage and see the crew at work, seeing all the stuff going on behind the scenes. Another night.... well, I have to think about it, I guess those would be my two main dreams  :D

Also, I'm sure I already talked about it, but I'd love to walk around all those stages. I'd pay for entrance in the "Iron Maiden museum" and walk around exact replicas of all their stages, and seeing all the little details from all angles, with the luxury of time that the excitement of a concert doesn't allow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9178 on: October 20, 2022, 05:55:30 AM »
I gotta admit, I haven't paid much attention to this leg. I thought it was ridiculous that they came back with the Legacy Of The Beast show, but adding 3 of the worst songs off the new album.

I get tastes and all but the three songs don't present as the worst live.  TWOTW is actually pretty good live and it's not a favorite of mine on the record.   Senjutsu - which IS a favorite - is REALLY good live (though oddly, the drum part at the beginning wasn't quite as epic as I had hoped; might have been my vantage point, since the sound wasn't great where I was as compared to out front when I snapped the pic during Aces High).

I will say this, it felt more... slapdash pieced together than the previous leg.  The previous leg was GLORIOUS; three segments, with three essentially different stages, thematically related... it didn't have that coherence Monday, I will give you that.  The three songs felt sort of stuck on.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #9179 on: October 20, 2022, 06:30:27 AM »

I didn't see the previous leg, so I bought tickets to this one.  I'd prefer the setlist from the previous leg though, with Where Eagles Dare.  I at least got to see the Legacy tour with the big stage show, even if it wasn't exactly the same as when the tour started.

[I will say this, it felt more... slapdash pieced together than the previous leg.  The previous leg was GLORIOUS; three segments, with three essentially different stages, thematically related... it didn't have that coherence Monday, I will give you that.  The three songs felt sort of stuck on.

Kind of.  Instead of opening with the war themed songs, those got moved to the encore.  So it was Senjutsu / Cathedral (religious songs) / Hell / War, except that the stage wasn't really re-dressed after the Cathedral set.  They just changed backdrops.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9180 on: October 20, 2022, 08:39:27 AM »
Maiden on Sweden Rock Festival 2023!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9181 on: October 20, 2022, 01:15:43 PM »

I didn't see the previous leg, so I bought tickets to this one.  I'd prefer the setlist from the previous leg though, with Where Eagles Dare.  I at least got to see the Legacy tour with the big stage show, even if it wasn't exactly the same as when the tour started.

That's definitely cool. I wasn't trying to sound like a snobby dick.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9182 on: October 20, 2022, 01:20:43 PM »
I'm with TAC on wishing this wasn't another Legacy of the Beast tour, but at the same time, even with costs of tickets going way up, I have a hard time not going to see my favorite band when they play locally.  I'm actually really looking forward to this show tomorrow and it also helps that I'm a big Within Temptation fan so this show ends up being really worth it in my eyes to attend.  The NJ show is also sold out! (or was the other day, I think they may have released some tickets for the floor).  I'm also going with my best friend so I think it's going to be one of the most fun concerts of the year for me.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #9183 on: October 20, 2022, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm with TAC on wishing this wasn't another Legacy of the Beast tour, but at the same time, even with costs of tickets going way up, I have a hard time not going to see my favorite band when they play locally.  I'm actually really looking forward to this show tomorrow and it also helps that I'm a big Within Temptation fan so this show ends up being really worth it in my eyes to attend.  The NJ show is also sold out! (or was the other day, I think they may have released some tickets for the floor).  I'm also going with my best friend so I think it's going to be one of the most fun concerts of the year for me.

Having Within Temptation open helped justify the cost, since I had never seen them before.  I paid at least $100, if not more, for 300 level/balcony seats in a large arena.  There was no way in hell I was paying the price for floor tickets, which was around $130 to $150. 

If I had seen the prior leg, I'd have skipped this go-around.  But I hadn't seen Maiden since 2008, so it was worth it to see the Legacy show with the added new songs, plus Within Temptation as an opener. (I'd skipped two tours for new albums - Final Frontier and Book of Souls, as well as the Maiden England retro tour). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9184 on: October 20, 2022, 01:41:07 PM »
My tickets came out to $120 each after fees for the floor.  Ticketmaster's price scaling has made tickets really expensive for well sold arena shows so I got mine during the fan club presale which was before any price raises. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9185 on: October 20, 2022, 01:48:30 PM »
My tickets came out to $120 each after fees for the floor.  Ticketmaster's price scaling has made tickets really expensive for well sold arena shows so I got mine during the fan club presale which was before any price raises.

Fuck Ticketmaster and that bullshit. $200 to sit in the lower arena halfway back? Ridiculous.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9186 on: October 20, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »

Fuck Ticketmaster and that bullshit. $200 to sit in the lower arena halfway back? Ridiculous.

The problem is... people pay it.  I think it's ridiculous but what can you do when people actually buy those?

I saw Smashing Pumpkins last night, it was far from sold out, but they were releasing day of tickets for $200+ for the lower level.  I thought it was insane to pay that much, but I saw as the day went on, people bought them! Not all of them of course, but people were willing to pay that much.  I paid $80 for the last row in the building which I also thought was a bit too much, but I wanted to go.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #9187 on: October 20, 2022, 04:51:56 PM »
  When I won the Heaven Can Wait contest, the instructions were to meet in the side section next to the stage during the song before so we were waiting in a similar spot as that picture and that's when the power went out at The Garden during Powerslave. 

This would kinda suck if you were avoiding spoilers though. Like it’s one thing to know about Heaven Can Wait, but did they tell you Powerslave was gonna be the song before, or did you just sorta feel it?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9188 on: October 20, 2022, 05:34:51 PM »
  When I won the Heaven Can Wait contest, the instructions were to meet in the side section next to the stage during the song before so we were waiting in a similar spot as that picture and that's when the power went out at The Garden during Powerslave. 

This would kinda suck if you were avoiding spoilers though. Like it’s one thing to know about Heaven Can Wait, but did they tell you Powerslave was gonna be the song before, or did you just sorta feel it?

Kind of a pretty small price to pay to get on stage with the band during HCW IMO.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #9189 on: October 20, 2022, 05:55:42 PM »

The problem is... people pay it.  I think it's ridiculous but what can you do when people actually buy those?

I saw Smashing Pumpkins last night, it was far from sold out, but they were releasing day of tickets for $200+ for the lower level.  I thought it was insane to pay that much, but I saw as the day went on, people bought them! Not all of them of course, but people were willing to pay that much.  I paid $80 for the last row in the building which I also thought was a bit too much, but I wanted to go.

The FOMO is really real when it comes to concert-going these days.  I'm really hoping as time passes beyond the "pause" of concerts that things will calm down when it comes to ticket prices or people can take a impactful stand in not paying horrifying prices or Ticketmaster/Live Nation gets into legal issues that forces them to stop their dynamic pricing BS.

I guess me seeing Rammstein for $30.00 at a stadium in LA last month was a really rare oddity when it comes to price.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9190 on: October 21, 2022, 07:19:42 AM »

Kind of a pretty small price to pay to get on stage with the band during HCW IMO.

It was during the Somewhere Back in Time tour celebrating the Powerslave Era, I dont think there was any real spoiler for members of the fan club here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9191 on: October 21, 2022, 08:21:37 AM »

People sure as hell paid it in Worcester.  We stayed off the floor on purpose because of my friends surgery, but for a minute or so I was going to try to talk him into floor tickets and we'd stand way back of the pack (I figured about halfway back or so.  NOPE.  The floor was PACKED all the way back to the sound board.   There were some restricted view seats available in my section and the one across the way, but honestly, I think those tickets were sold and people walked, because there was a LOT of crowding into aisles and such that I saw.  That was a mostly full house Monday night.

(And not for nothing, but shirts were $50, and they had a lot of other stuff; I don't think I've ever seen a crowd wearing that much "gear" at a show.  I mean, you had entire aisles of people wearing current tour Maiden stuff.  14,000 in Worcester, at $50 per, if even HALF buy (I did) that's $350k in merch alone.   Steve Harris can buy his own footie team!  :) )

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9192 on: October 21, 2022, 08:24:25 AM »
Yeah, it is kind of cool how the IM shows have such a significant amount of fans wearing their tshirts.  I plan on wearing my Senjutsu shirt tonight!  I'm not sure I'll buy a new tshirt, but if they have one that is calling my name, I won't think twice.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #9193 on: October 21, 2022, 08:26:14 AM »
I bought the USA tour shirt, with Eddie on the truck.  I liked the back, though I almost wish I bought a different one instead.  I wasn't going to buy multiple shirts at $50 each.  Even Within Temptation had theirs priced the same. 

A lot of the shirts are online in Maiden's official store for the same price.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9194 on: October 21, 2022, 08:31:04 AM »
I love my shirt, but I was kind of bummed it didn't have the dates on the back and I didn't realize it until I got home.  Oh well, it's still cool.  It's the one with the neon colors on the front. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9195 on: October 23, 2022, 03:06:06 AM »
For those into bootleg shows, YouTube suggested me this complete show from the Somewhere in Time tour in Paris, 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jju1d0wsImU&ab_channel=%C3%81lex5erna

Just to get a feel of what the tour was like, and maybe guess which elements from the stage show they will bring back.

Looking at the setlist.... I know you had to be there to enjoy the feel of the show, but I think they could have been more daring.

First of all, it's glaringly split in two: the first half is for new stuff and the occasional rarity (Children of the Damned), from the second half onwards, it's all classics back to back, in a time when they could still afford to keep two "epics" in the set (Phantom of the Opera and Hallowed be Thy Name, we all know which song "won" once the songs to play and the albums to pick from were becoming too many). And the encore is the most predictable set of songs.

Also, I'm conflicted about Rime being in the set, followed by a guitar solo. I guess that was a new thing for them and they wanted to go for it, they never really done a solo spot before or ever since, but Rime takes so much of the set.... I assume they were so proud of the song that it seemed a waste to shelve it after just one tour, and they kept it for the next one, but Rime and the solo are 18 minutes of show that could have been spent playing two other songs, three if you keep them short - one should have been Alex the Great of course, and then something off Piece of Mind to honor that album. Flight of Icarus was played in that tour, since it's a short song, just add Wrathchild, which was not still overplayed to death back then, and you have a setlist where every album so far is represented.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 04:41:59 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9196 on: October 23, 2022, 04:08:58 AM »
That's weird, I have actually just watched a lot of that show the last couple of days.  I like the set.  Rime is a strange choice but makes sense since they purposely avoided Alex.  That and Phantom seemed like east roll-overs from the last tour.

I think Walking on Air is brilliant.  Some tasty stuff both both lads on that one.  Dave had done solos spots in the past but this was something different.  Really fit the vibe of SIT.

Offline 425

« Reply #9197 on: October 23, 2022, 11:04:34 AM »
My show is finally here tonight! Only my second time seeing them (after Maiden England 2012), since I've often just failed to be living in the right place at the right time. I'll be the weirdo who gets more excited for Sign of the Cross than for any other song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9198 on: October 23, 2022, 11:50:36 AM »
I was that weirdo as well.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9199 on: October 23, 2022, 03:40:03 PM »
My show is finally here tonight! Only my second time seeing them (after Maiden England 2012), since I've often just failed to be living in the right place at the right time. I'll be the weirdo who gets more excited for Sign of the Cross than for any other song.

This would be me also.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9200 on: October 23, 2022, 03:44:49 PM »

This would be me also.

Yeah, that's not weird at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9201 on: October 23, 2022, 04:20:59 PM »
For those into bootleg shows, YouTube suggested me this complete show from the Somewhere in Time tour in Paris, 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jju1d0wsImU&ab_channel=%C3%81lex5erna

Just to get a feel of what the tour was like, and maybe guess which elements from the stage show they will bring back.

Looking at the setlist.... I know you had to be there to enjoy the feel of the show, but I think they could have been more daring.

First of all, it's glaringly split in two: the first half is for new stuff and the occasional rarity (Children of the Damned), from the second half onwards, it's all classics back to back, in a time when they could still afford to keep two "epics" in the set (Phantom of the Opera and Hallowed be Thy Name, we all know which song "won" once the songs to play and the albums to pick from were becoming too many). And the encore is the most predictable set of songs.

Also, I'm conflicted about Rime being in the set, followed by a guitar solo. I guess that was a new thing for them and they wanted to go for it, they never really done a solo spot before or ever since, but Rime takes so much of the set.... I assume they were so proud of the song that it seemed a waste to shelve it after just one tour, and they kept it for the next one, but Rime and the solo are 18 minutes of show that could have been spent playing two other songs, three if you keep them short - one should have been Alex the Great of course, and then something off Piece of Mind to honor that album. Flight of Icarus was played in that tour, since it's a short song, just add Wrathchild, which was not still overplayed to death back then, and you have a setlist where every album so far is represented.

Andrea, I posted a link to the Paris show in my Concert Thread here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57735.440#lastPost

It's good, but there's way too much Bruce, but at least you get good audio.

I actually prefer the Troy NY bootleg. It's my all time favorite concert boot, and it really shows you what an Iron Maiden concert in 1987 really looked like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu64ESskzR4&t=1s

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9202 on: October 23, 2022, 04:51:16 PM »
I'll check that one out tonight Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9203 on: October 23, 2022, 04:55:45 PM »
I'll check that one out tonight Tim.

It's a fair dated video, but it's legit. One thing I like about it is that you get a pretty good view of Nicko when the camera pans to him.

Offline 425

« Reply #9204 on: October 23, 2022, 10:49:24 PM »
Okay, whoa. Take as a grain of salt that I am very much not a heavy concertgoer, having gone to probably somewhere in the range of 8-10 shows in my teenage and adult life. But that was my favorite concert I've ever been to.

Pretty much every element has been spoiled to me by the internet, from the setlist to the stage show, but so much of it still blew me away.

First, the performance was excellent. Sure, someone missed a phrase in a solo here or there, but who cares? They absolutely brought it tonight, all the energy and intensity I love Maiden for. Bruce was particularly incredible. I think he's somehow become more energetic and theatrical on stage over time, or at least that's how he came across to me. And I know the general review has been that he's lost a step this tour, but I thought his singing was great. Maybe if I listened back to the soundboard recording I'd spot all sorts of imperfections, but from the audience perspective, he really delivered, all the way from Senjutsu through Aces High. I can't imagine complaining after seeing and hearing him go out there and give his absolute all, with those results.

Second, I'm a really big fan of the setlist. Would I have wanted to hear For the Greater Good of Good? Absolutely. Where Eagles Dare? For sure. But count me in the minority faction that really liked Senjutsu as an opener. Now, I don't think every opener necessarily needs to be super up-tempo (I've long thought Face in the Sand would be a cool opener) and I really like the song, so I was probably primed to like it. But I thought there was plenty of energy even in front of an American audience with the usual mixed reaction to the album. Having Eddie show up during this song was a stroke of genius, because it was unexpected and helped get the crowd more into it. And then the kick into Stratego amped things up well into the high-energy gear that people expect in a typical opener. Did people react even bigger when Revelations started? Yeah. But that's obviously going to happen whenever a classic gets played. I, at least, was really happy with the Senjutsu-Stratego opening.

On the other hand, I think The Clansman fell flat with a lot of the audience. Part of it was that it was so late in the show, so people were starting to get tired, and then it not being a classic compounded to make some people even sit down during it (and pop back up for Run to the Hills). Again, I think it's unavoidable when you put a non-popular song in that spot in the setlist. Still, I really appreciate the band believing in that song enough to keep it in there for us diehards who love it. The lame crowd response to it was the largest blemish on the show, but I can't care that much when I got to see them absolutely nail THE song that got me into Iron Maiden (and really metal, and prog), a song that a few years ago I thought was surely on the shelf for good.

It was the other Blaze-era piece that was my highlight of the night, though, as you probably could have predicted given my earlier posts. I love Sign of the Cross dearly, and it carries a lot of personal emotion for me. I'm so grateful that they not only played it, but pulled out all the stops to make it a special part of the show. I don't know how it came across to others there—people were obviously less into it than the classics but maintained pretty high energy because it was early in the show—and I could be biased, but it really came across to me like it was meant to be one of the pillars of the set. It's the first part of the show where I can remember seeing pyro, Bruce has a dedicated costume for it, it got a dedicated backdrop that wasn't just repurposed album art... it was really given the pride of place that it deserves.

Over the years I've complained some about the way they sped up Sign of the Cross on Rock in Rio and how I feel like that loses a lot of the sense of The X Factor. I couldn't swear to the tempo they played it at tonight, but seeing it person really did feel like the emotion of The X Factor brought back to life onstage 27 years later. The thing is, almost no one really cares about The X Factor, and they could just as easily not have done it. Hell, Bruce could just say "Those aren't my songs, I'm not singing them." But they did, and not only did they play it, but they created a special experience for fans of the album. I'd say that was the closest thing I've had to a religious experience at a concert (even beating out seeing Ghost Love Score earlier this year).

I can also finally check off Hallowed Be Thy Name. The only other time I saw them was the 2012 Maiden England tour, on which they did not play it. Really liked the setup with the cell and the noose.

I could say a lot about the stage show and the props, too, but I'll just mention a few favorites: the HBTN noose and all of Sign of the Cross, which I mentioned already; the Icarus statue and the melting of his wings; the green light Bruce held for Fear of the Dark; the HBTN noose; Bruce shooting Eddie during The Trooper; and obviously the plane during Aces High.

Alright, I'll stop going on, just wanted to get my thoughts down tonight while it was all still fresh.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time