Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 564768 times)

Anguyen92 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #9100 on: October 06, 2022, 05:56:46 AM »
WOW!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9101 on: October 06, 2022, 05:58:49 AM »
This BETTER come to Australia. They still haven’t rebooked dates for Asia or Australia!s legs from Legacy of the Beast, so we pretty much deserve this.

Yeah, I really hope so too mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9102 on: October 06, 2022, 06:33:31 AM »
I'll predict Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner MIGHT get an airing, but Alexander the Great WON'T.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9103 on: October 06, 2022, 06:34:47 AM »
That's a cool idea for a tour - Somewhere in Time was under-represented in the 2008 tour, with just Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait being played.

I saw Maiden last night in Chicago and the show was amazing.  I echo the statements in this thread that opening with Senjutsu is a total bore, and the mix not being very clear, but aside from that, the band was completely on fire, the stage show was amazing and Bruce sounded incredible.  Seeing them in a huge arena was different for me, since I was high up in the balcony and it was more of an experience, rather than being close and going bonkers all night.  But it was nice to just take the whole show in and listen, rather than spend the night singing along and losing my voice too. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #9104 on: October 06, 2022, 06:47:19 AM »
That's a cool idea for a tour - Somewhere in Time was under-represented in the 2008 tour, with just Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait being played.

I saw Maiden last night in Chicago and the show was amazing.  I echo the statements in this thread that opening with Senjutsu is a total bore, and the mix not being very clear, but aside from that, the band was completely on fire, the stage show was amazing and Bruce sounded incredible.  Seeing them in a huge arena was different for me, since I was high up in the balcony and it was more of an experience, rather than being close and going bonkers all night.  But it was nice to just take the whole show in and listen, rather than spend the night singing along and losing my voice too.
I was there too, it was an excellent show! Was my only my 2nd IM show but it kicked ass!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9105 on: October 06, 2022, 06:53:33 AM »
I'll predict Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner MIGHT get an airing, but Alexander the Great WON'T.
Considering that Nicko himself wants to play AtG, I beg to differ. Nevermind that's the song fans have really been gunning for Maiden to play. If they don't play it on this tour, they're gonna hear a lot of complaints. Almost positive it's gonna get played.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #9106 on: October 06, 2022, 06:55:33 AM »
I reckon Caught Somewhere in Time needs to be the opener. Because of that, I reckon Aces High needs to be bumped out.
I’d kinda like to see Wasted Years close again, or something else unexpected like that was then.

If they only play two of the trio of closing epics from Senjutsu, I want it to be Celts and Hell. Parchment is kinda boring imo.

I am really hoping Sea of Madness makes an appearance. I’m fairly confident Stranger in a Strange Land will make it, given that’s the song in the tour promo ad.

Trooper might be out? It was out of the OG SiT tour and I’m kinda feeling it or Fear if the Dark can bounce.

This is the tour where Maiden will finally play Alexander the Great. It’ll be awesome.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9107 on: October 06, 2022, 07:20:29 AM »
Can't wait to hear Wasted Years, Heaven Can Wait, AND the title track.

Seriously though, that's all I'm expecting as they've always disappointed with how they represent that album.

If they do Sea of Madness and/or Stranger in a Strange Land I will be shocked and happy. If they do Alexander that would be groundbreaking and amazing. If I recall my Maiden history correctly they've never brought out a song live they didn't play in the album's original touring cycle.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9108 on: October 06, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »
If I recall my Maiden history correctly they've never brought out a song live they didn't play in the album's original touring cycle.

This is indeed true. And it’s a crap statistic that I’m hoping they break on this tour.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #9109 on: October 06, 2022, 07:34:51 AM »

Seriously though, that's all I'm expecting as they've always disappointed with how they represent that album.

If they do Sea of Madness and/or Stranger in a Strange Land I will be shocked and happy. If they do Alexander that would be groundbreaking and amazing. If I recall my Maiden history correctly they've never brought out a song live they didn't play in the album's original touring cycle.
Isn’t that some type of strict rule of theirs?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9110 on: October 06, 2022, 07:38:06 AM »

Isn’t that some type of strict rule of theirs?

It has always been. And the announcement does not say specifically that they are going to play things from SiT that have never played…but it seems to imply that that might be the case.

I hope they follow through on that implication, but a lot of people are reading into it at this point.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9111 on: October 06, 2022, 07:46:17 AM »
The video says Samurai 5 - Cyborg 5

So 5 songs from each album - Senjutsu, Stratego, WOTW, Days of Future Past (because it's part of the name of the tour) and Hell on Earth maybe? From SIT: Wasted Years, Heaven Can Wait, Stranger in a Strange Land and...Sea of Madness or Caught Somewhere in time.

And FOTD, Hallowed be thy Name, TNOTB, The Trooper and Iron Maiden. 15 songs in total.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9112 on: October 06, 2022, 08:14:06 AM »
If I recall my Maiden history correctly they've never brought out a song live they didn't play in the album's original touring cycle.

This is indeed true. And it’s a crap statistic that I’m hoping they break on this tour.

Yeah, with this news, I actually think this is finally possible.  This is awesome news, but I hope this isn't a limited run tour.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9113 on: October 06, 2022, 08:19:19 AM »
Alright, how about a hypothetical set list? This is a combination of realistic expectactions and a dream:

1. Caught somewhere in time
2. Can I play with madness?
3. The Writing on the wall
4. Days of future passed
5. The Trooper
6. Stranger in a strange land
7. Heaven can wait
8. The Parchment
9. Hell on earth
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the dark
12. Iron Maiden
---
13. The Number of the beast
14. Run to the hills
15. Wasted years

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9114 on: October 06, 2022, 08:23:01 AM »
I'm totally in for this tour! I'm hoping they don't play the three songs from the latest record they played on this tour. Hell on Earth is a must for the name alone!  :lol :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9115 on: October 06, 2022, 08:27:40 AM »
I think it might be something like this:

Senjutsu
Stratego
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Trooper
The Writing on the Wall
Darkest Hour
2 Minutes to Midnight
Hell on Earth
Heaven Can Wait
Alexander the Great
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
===========
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Wasted Years
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9116 on: October 06, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »
Alright, you’re on.

00. Blade Runner Theme (it was the intro on the original SiT tour)
1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Days of Future Past (let’s get the title track of the way early)
3. 2 Minutes to Midnight
4. Children of the Damned
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. Sea of Madness
7. Death of the Celts
8. The Trooper
9. Hell on Earth
10. Alexander the Great
11. Heaven Can Wait
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. The Number of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Wasted Years

I feel like the way that Steve has talked about it, they’re not gonna do the songs they’ve already done.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9117 on: October 06, 2022, 08:34:32 AM »
Setlist aside though, what do you think the stage will look like? Which Eddie will be walking out and which will be inflated?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9118 on: October 06, 2022, 08:35:03 AM »
Yeah, I guess I'm the only one, but this doesn't do much for me. I found Senjutsu boring, and they'll only play the same songs they always have from SiT. At the same time, I wouldn't bet on it coming to the US anyway. It honestly seems a bit too esoteric for their US "fans."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 425

« Reply #9119 on: October 06, 2022, 08:35:12 AM »
Interesting! I was skeptical of the rumors of SiT, just because I didn't think they'd omit a Senjutsu tour, but doing both makes sense.

I, too, read 'Arry's statement to mean that they're not going to repeat the first three songs. So I think from Senjutsu we definitely see Hell on Earth, very likely Days of Future Past, and hopefully two of the other three 'Arry epics including The Parchment.

From SiT, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait are practically a given. Strange in a Strange Land is very likely. Before Steve's statement, I would have said they'll never play Alexander the Great, but now I'd say it's 50-50. I'd also call CSiT 50-50.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9120 on: October 06, 2022, 08:36:26 AM »
Setlist aside though, what do you think the stage will look like? Which Eddie will be walking out and which will be inflated?

How about Eddie cyborg and Eddie samurai having a fight on stage?

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9121 on: October 06, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »
I feel like the way that Steve has talked about it, they’re not gonna do the songs they’ve already done.

I think they will, as not every country has seen them, and they are the cornerstone of the new album. My guess:

Senjutsu
Stratego
The Writing On The Wall
Wrathchild
Days of Future Past
The Trooper
Death of the Celts
Hell On Earth
Caught Somewhere in Time
Stranger in a Strange Land
Heaven Can Wait
Iron Maiden
----
Wasted Years
Fear of the Dark
Number of the Beast

That way, everyone leaves disappointed

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9122 on: October 06, 2022, 08:48:37 AM »
This is a first for them. So unusual that I was completely skeptical of all the hints the band was dropping (mainly Bruce making a point of stating "see you SOMEWHERE ON TOUR next year").

I mean, they never played a classic album in its entirety, or concentrated a set about a 30th / 40th/ whateverth anniversary, they couldn't even bother to live up in 2007 to the promise of "5 songs from AMOLAD and 5 songs from Number of the Beast" (they only played four), and now, after new album tours alternated with historical tours based on a specific previous tour, they just "play some songs off Somewhere in Time" just because?

I'm also curious about the wording of the press release:

The Future Past Tour will feature previously unperformed songs from the band’s most recent studio album, Senjutsu

And

Following the release of our latest album, Senjutsu, we updated the current Legacy of the Beast Tour a little by opening the show with the first 3 songs from it, with the Japanese Palace stage set. As it doesn’t make a lot of sense to repeat this for a Senjutsu album tour, we thought about other options and we’ve decided to revisit Somewhere In Time

Do they mean that they will play MORE SONGS from Senjutsu, along with the first three, or they'll just skip those three songs to concentrate on the remaining six that are unplayed? the wording is unclear and it feels weird to think of Stratego and The Writing on the Wall already dropped.

So.... does that mean that the tour on which they play the entire Senjutsu album is off?  I may be the only one, but I was looking forward to that.  I LOVE the new album - still - and I'm looking forward to seeing the three songs from the new record on the current tour (though I'll go to the just-announced tour if it comes to America). 

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9123 on: October 06, 2022, 08:50:33 AM »
I think they will, as not every country has seen them, and they are the cornerstone of the new album.

I doubt the countries they missed on Legacy are gonna get this anyway. Meaning me and wolfking. Ever.

Offline 425

« Reply #9124 on: October 06, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
This is a first for them. So unusual that I was completely skeptical of all the hints the band was dropping (mainly Bruce making a point of stating "see you SOMEWHERE ON TOUR next year").

I mean, they never played a classic album in its entirety, or concentrated a set about a 30th / 40th/ whateverth anniversary, they couldn't even bother to live up in 2007 to the promise of "5 songs from AMOLAD and 5 songs from Number of the Beast" (they only played four), and now, after new album tours alternated with historical tours based on a specific previous tour, they just "play some songs off Somewhere in Time" just because?

I'm also curious about the wording of the press release:

The Future Past Tour will feature previously unperformed songs from the band’s most recent studio album, Senjutsu

And

Following the release of our latest album, Senjutsu, we updated the current Legacy of the Beast Tour a little by opening the show with the first 3 songs from it, with the Japanese Palace stage set. As it doesn’t make a lot of sense to repeat this for a Senjutsu album tour, we thought about other options and we’ve decided to revisit Somewhere In Time

Do they mean that they will play MORE SONGS from Senjutsu, along with the first three, or they'll just skip those three songs to concentrate on the remaining six that are unplayed? the wording is unclear and it feels weird to think of Stratego and The Writing on the Wall already dropped.

So.... does that mean that the tour on which they play the entire Senjutsu album is off?  I may be the only one, but I was looking forward to that.  I LOVE the new album - still - and I'm looking forward to seeing the three songs from the new record on the current tour (though I'll go to the just-announced tour if it comes to America). 

I don't think the full-album tour was ever a confirmed thing. As I recall, it was something Bruce talked about wanting to do and something he thought maybe they would do on a smaller tour.

I, too, want to see that, and would even consider traveling significant distances at significant expense to see it if it actually happens, especially if they don't play The Parchment on the regular tour.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9125 on: October 06, 2022, 08:53:36 AM »
Actually, why the hell am I excited about this? This has potential for massive floppage and I already know I’m going to just be upset when they don’t bring it to me, so why should I care?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9126 on: October 06, 2022, 09:05:19 AM »
Actually, why the hell am I excited about this? This has potential for massive floppage and I already know I’m going to just be upset when they don’t bring it to me, so why should I care?

Well so far they aren't coming to the US, but I'm very excited because that means even if I can't see the show, the live videos of these songs will surface and that's better than more live videos of the same songs.  I also just think it's cool that the band is starting to embrace Somewhere in Time because I thought for sure they weren't coming back to it after it mostly being ignored from the past history tours.  Unless you dislike these two albums, I think it's really cool news regardless if the show comes to your town or not. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9127 on: October 06, 2022, 09:10:23 AM »
Also, it's a first for them, regardless of what one thinks of those two albums, it's the first time they basically "tour for two different albums".

I still think it's done just because, with no reason and even no anniversary, just "hey, I guess we can pay more attention to Somewhere in Time", but hey, it's still something new and daring so late into their carrer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9128 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:47 AM »

I'm good with that.  :metal

My hope overall is for Caught Somewhere in Time and Alexander the Great to be played, along with the standards Heaven Can Wait and Wasted Years. This could be a very cool tour if it makes it to the U.S.

I think this is being done because of two reasons:

1. Senjutsu didn't really move the needle like past releases (their mgmt pays attention to ALL the commentary).
2. People have been asking for Somewhere in Time to get more love, particularly Alexander the Great.

Combine those, they are thinking massive visuals and they get to play stuff that they haven't done that much, which should be a no-brainer for fans, and satisfying for them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9129 on: October 06, 2022, 09:13:44 AM »
They’ll hit the US in 2024. That’s a given. For Australia and Asia that have been oil a drought for Maiden since Book of Souls in 2016? This I should’ve been ours first. But of course, the priority is Europe in 2023, US in 2024 and we might wave to Australia with a connecting flight somewhere in 2026.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9130 on: October 06, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »
My worry is the US crowd wasn't so accepting to when they did AMOLAD full that they may not come here for another more "rare" type of setlist show.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9131 on: October 06, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
They will not stage a massive arena production and NOT take it to the US - that's the primary market, it makes no sense to not tour there. When was the last time these guys toured and missed out America?

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #9132 on: October 06, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
And what exactly do you call that first leg of Legacy featuring Where Eagles Dare, Icarus, two Blaze songs and For the Greater Good of God? As I recall, for a classic rarities tour, it was eaten up!

The difference is classic versus new. I don’t think anyone wanted AMOLAD in full apart from the hardcore fans in 2006. Nowadays I’d kill just to hear one song off of it and they dropped that for the 2022 Legacy, so I doubt that’ll ever happen again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9133 on: October 06, 2022, 09:37:49 AM »
And what exactly do you call that first leg of Legacy featuring Where Eagles Dare, Icarus, two Blaze songs and For the Greater Good of God? As I recall, for a classic rarities tour, it was eaten up!

Other than For the Greater Good, all of those songs are much more loved, generally, than the deep cuts on Somewhere in Time and I'd also say the new songs on Senjutsu.  I know this forum likes those songs a lot (as do I), but I don't get the sense the general US audience loves them as much.  I hope I'm wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9134 on: October 06, 2022, 09:39:56 AM »

I'm good with that.  :metal

My hope overall is for Caught Somewhere in Time and Alexander the Great to be played, along with the standards Heaven Can Wait and Wasted Years. This could be a very cool tour if it makes it to the U.S.

I think this is being done because of two reasons:

1. Senjutsu didn't really move the needle like past releases (their mgmt pays attention to ALL the commentary).
2. People have been asking for Somewhere in Time to get more love, particularly Alexander the Great.

Combine those, they are thinking massive visuals and they get to play stuff that they haven't done that much, which should be a no-brainer for fans, and satisfying for them.

I think that last part is important.  Maiden has, over the past couple of tours, really ramped up the stage-craft and that's such a big part of their presentation over that time.  I think you're right; SiT is probably the best combination of "uncharted territory" and "potential for big presentation".   I'm in. I think this might have been an internal compromise between Bruce and Steve/Rod; remember that this was a follow-up to the World Slavery tour, and Bruce was exhausted and contributed little to the writing and recording of SiT.  This isn't "his" album, like Senjutsu is.  Bruce was the one that said he wanted to do the album-only tour.  I think this is a way of doing the fill on stage presentation, putting on a spectacle, but not relying SOLELY on the music from Senjutsu.