Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572354 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8995 on: June 30, 2022, 07:57:16 AM »
Blood and Belief is criminally underrated.

You're probably right. I'm just listening to it now, funnily enough. It's far more similar stylistically and sonically to the first two albums than I remember.

Its like the third part of the trilogy.  The title track might be my favourite Blaze track.

Yea, those first three Blaze albums may be his best.  I don't know, but they are like classics for Blaze.  Obviously he still makes great music, but I hold those three more highly.

I definitely prefer the first 2-3 Blaze albums to any of his recent albums.  Silicon Messiah is still my favorite.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8996 on: June 30, 2022, 08:57:34 AM »
Blood and Belief is criminally underrated.

You're probably right. I'm just listening to it now, funnily enough. It's far more similar stylistically and sonically to the first two albums than I remember.

Its like the third part of the trilogy.  The title track might be my favourite Blaze track.

So far as the album goes that would be Soundtrack Of My Life fer me  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8997 on: June 30, 2022, 09:12:03 AM »
I was inspired to open a Blaze Bayley thread by the recent discussion:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57553.0

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8998 on: June 30, 2022, 03:40:59 PM »
I was inspired to open a Blaze Bayley thread by the recent discussion:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57553.0

This is the Blaze Bayley thread, isn't it?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9000 on: June 30, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »
So if there's already two, do we need a third? I guess we do!

Offline 425

« Reply #9001 on: June 30, 2022, 04:22:05 PM »
I mean, there are clearly some people who hate Blaze enough to try to derail any conversation about him that goes on too long in an Iron Maiden thread, so if a separate thread solves that problem, I'm fine with it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9002 on: June 30, 2022, 04:29:39 PM »
I mean, there are clearly some people who hate Blaze enough to try to derail any conversation about him that goes on too long in an Iron Maiden thread, so if a separate thread solves that problem, I'm fine with it.

haha, we are clealy just taking the piss mate, the separate thread is a good idea.

Offline 425

« Reply #9003 on: June 30, 2022, 05:22:37 PM »
I think 90% of people are taking the piss, and 10% are definitely not.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9004 on: June 30, 2022, 06:29:42 PM »
Feels like my ears are burning :lol :P, but I will just say that I do not hate Bayley; I just don't like him as a singer. I will see myself out now.  :tup :tup

Edit: fixed that to make it sound a little nicer.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9005 on: July 09, 2022, 06:48:43 AM »
Is it controversial to say Beast over Hammersmith is the best Maiden live album? Live After Death is iconic and I love it, other releases like Maiden England, Rock in Rio and Death on the Road are superb as well but I'm listening to Beast over Hammersmith right now and it just feels like the band is on fire. 1982, The Number of the Beast isn't even out yet until a few days, and the band delivers killer live versions of most songs on the album as well as fantastic versions of songs from the debut and Killers. I forgot how much I love a song like Drifter because they just don't play that anymore.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #9006 on: July 09, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
Is it controversial to say Beast over Hammersmith is the best Maiden live album? Live After Death is iconic and I love it, other releases like Maiden England, Rock in Rio and Death on the Road are superb as well but I'm listening to Beast over Hammersmith right now and it just feels like the band is on fire. 1982, The Number of the Beast isn't even out yet until a few days, and the band delivers killer live versions of most songs on the album as well as fantastic versions of songs from the debut and Killers. I forgot how much I love a song like Drifter because they just don't play that anymore.

Nope! Beast over Hammersmith is easily their best live album to me. Next up is Live After Death.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #9007 on: July 09, 2022, 04:47:10 PM »
Live after Death is number 1 for me but I totally agree with everything else you said about Beast over Hammersmith. No doubt the band is on fire and Bruce especially is amazing and delivers some blistering vocal performances especially in some of the Dianno tracks. Awesome album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9008 on: July 17, 2022, 08:52:22 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9009 on: July 17, 2022, 04:05:05 PM »
 :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9010 on: July 17, 2022, 04:07:15 PM »
I think Bruce was upset because an ...um...Blaze showed up. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9011 on: July 17, 2022, 04:12:35 PM »

Oh dear.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9012 on: July 17, 2022, 04:19:51 PM »

It was a sign for him to be ...cross.

Sorry. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9013 on: July 17, 2022, 04:34:25 PM »

:lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #9014 on: July 17, 2022, 04:40:10 PM »
Sucks that Bruce got so upset, but this might be the first time they performed most of the intro as an instrumental!

And then when Bruce comes back (singing from the backstage, apparently) he starts with the second post-intro verse (Torches blazed etc.) and sings the whole thing out of sync with the rest of the band. What a weird, unique event! Then he comes back to the stage, but takes a while to settle into the song.

Another lyrical change: "I'm coming back, I will return/And I'll possess your body and YOU'LL MAKE ATHENS FUCKING BURN"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjg5UNU7tbI

Then he goes into "scream for me athens" like nothing ever happened, hahah

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9015 on: July 18, 2022, 02:11:05 AM »
I don't know what it is with Greece and flares. This isn't the first time this has happend. Back in 1999, someone in the audience in Greece lit the fire, making it impossible for Bruce to breathe. He was ready to stop the concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhYTOkdcUxI&ab_channel=csdrunks

It's interesting that it's the same thing 23 years later.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9016 on: July 18, 2022, 07:15:31 AM »
Now I wanna go see Iron Maiden.  They are so much fun live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9017 on: July 18, 2022, 07:48:49 AM »
I saw another video from that Greek concert and there were 5 flares going in that crowd.  I don't know how they get in with those and how security doesn't get them to put it out.  It certainly looks cool from the stand view, but I'm not sure I want to be standing next to someone on the floor who's holding one of those. 

I don't think it's just a Greek thing, but in En Vivo you can see people have flares and I think in some of the Flight 666 videos from South America there are some. 

Offline 425

« Reply #9018 on: July 18, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »
Yeah, I definitely would not want to be next to a (likely drunk) person holding a flare. Boggles my mind seeing comments on the videos basically saying he shouldn't have minded because "it's a rock concert!" Yeah, it's a rock concert, where the point is to see the band, not smoke up the venue so much that the singer can't perform or worry that the idiot next to me is about to set me on fire.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9019 on: July 19, 2022, 01:50:44 AM »
I cannot see a scenario in which it would be justified for a fan to light up a fire in the middle of the audience during a rock concert. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9020 on: July 19, 2022, 03:52:49 AM »
Yeah, I definitely would not want to be next to a (likely drunk) person holding a flare. Boggles my mind seeing comments on the videos basically saying he shouldn't have minded because "it's a rock concert!" Yeah, it's a rock concert, where the point is to see the band, not smoke up the venue so much that the singer can't perform or worry that the idiot next to me is about to set me on fire.

You'd think that one of the seminal songs of the genre, Smoke on the Water, would have taught something to people....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #9021 on: July 19, 2022, 04:11:06 AM »
You'd think that one of the seminal songs of the genre, Smoke on the Water, would have taught something to people....

Burn down a venue, recklessly endangering life and they might just write a classic rock song about YOU!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9022 on: July 19, 2022, 05:03:25 AM »

Burn down a venue, recklessly endangering life and they might just write a classic rock song about YOU!

Hey, you have a point  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9023 on: July 19, 2022, 07:16:10 AM »
Which is sort of fascinating, since Jannick played with Ian Gillan, and all of them - especially Bruce - have cited Deep Purple as a primary influence.  Plus, Martin Birch...   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9024 on: July 19, 2022, 08:08:16 AM »
I cannot see a scenario in which it would be justified for a fan to light up a fire in the middle of the audience during a rock concert. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know.

It's celebratory for Greek people  :facepalm:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-lighting-flares-at-concerts-is-a-celebratory-thing-for-greek-people

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9025 on: July 20, 2022, 10:30:01 PM »
Bruce's best rant is still The Ice Cube Incident. "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!" :lol
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 05:51:14 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9026 on: July 20, 2022, 10:34:01 PM »
Bruce's best rant is still The Ice Cube Incident. "Fuck you and horse you rode in on!" :lol

I don't recall that one.  I'll have to look it up.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9027 on: July 21, 2022, 05:55:16 AM »
I think I've got the bootleg but... I've just moved house and left all my bootlegs behind. They're scheduled to be thrown into a skip but maybe I'll make an attempt to rescue that one since not much comes up in an internet search. There's a thread about it at https://maidenfans.com/2004/the-ice-cube-incident but it's not a full transcription, alas.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9028 on: July 21, 2022, 06:09:38 AM »
He has two rants at two separate points in Providence in 1991. I'll try and transcribe them when I get a chance, but I think he called a guy a "scumsucking fuck brain"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9029 on: July 25, 2022, 08:47:33 PM »
The Daily Doug did The Thin Line Between Love And Hate today..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6fw72mbKM