Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572978 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8960 on: June 28, 2022, 10:57:30 PM »
Bruce has nailed Futureal on the Ed Hunter stour, so I’d be keen to see that come back. Maybe after Senjutsu if they’re still a while away from calling it quits, they could do a 90s history tour for a change. Not that that will happen but we I’d be in for it. I remember it was nice rumoured as a Japan and Australia exclusive after Maiden England before Book of Souls. Didn’t happen, but I hope it does someday.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8961 on: June 28, 2022, 11:25:44 PM »
Bruce has nailed Futureal on the Ed Hunter stour, so I’d be keen to see that come back. Maybe after Senjutsu if they’re still a while away from calling it quits, they could do a 90s history tour for a change. Not that that will happen but we I’d be in for it. I remember it was nice rumoured as a Japan and Australia exclusive after Maiden England before Book of Souls. Didn’t happen, but I hope it does someday.

Huh, that's the first I've heard of that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8962 on: June 29, 2022, 05:01:08 AM »
I think if Maiden had been open to tuning down, Blaze would’ve done a lot better. Seeing as though they lowered the key of Lord of the Flies for Bruce on Death in the Road though, what does that tell you?

They did?  To be fair, I've never paid attention to Bruces version.  I didn't think Maiden ever did this.

They would have just played it in a different key instead of detuning.  The original from memory is in F# I think.  Maybe they just dropped it to E?  I'm not at home so I can't confirm.

I've always said they should have played in E flat live for Blaze, but I don't think Steve would have a bar of it so I'm shocked they did this for LOTF.

Can now confirm this.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8963 on: June 29, 2022, 05:24:45 AM »
So in this thread I just learned that David Lee Roth was not a good singer. LOL

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #8964 on: June 29, 2022, 06:04:13 AM »
... they lowered the key of Lord of the Flies for Bruce on Death in the Road though, what does that tell you?

Tells me that Bruce has more say in the band than Blaze had. It's well known that one of Bruce's demands for returning was that he had a greater say.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8965 on: June 29, 2022, 06:13:34 AM »
I think if Maiden had been open to tuning down, Blaze would’ve done a lot better. Seeing as though they lowered the key of Lord of the Flies for Bruce on Death in the Road though, what does that tell you?

They did?  To be fair, I've never paid attention to Bruces version.  I didn't think Maiden ever did this.

They would have just played it in a different key instead of detuning.  The original from memory is in F# I think.  Maybe they just dropped it to E?  I'm not at home so I can't confirm.

I've always said they should have played in E flat live for Blaze, but I don't think Steve would have a bar of it so I'm shocked they did this for LOTF.

Not like I can assign you homework or anything, but can you weigh in on this?  I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but it's a fairly bold statement given that Harris has taken so much criticism for "never" doing it.  I think even Bruce made comments to that effect at one point.

In any event, I agree with Samsara (except for the knocks on Ozzy and especially David Lee Roth.  Neither man's voice really held up over the years, and there have always been sort of rumors that Roth sings everything one line at a time in the studio, since he can't string together a complete song in one go, but I think he's got some really good vocal parts in the VH catalogue.  Same with Ozzy.  As good as Dio and Ozzy are, neither one could really do justice to their predecessors material, IMO.)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8966 on: June 29, 2022, 06:24:58 AM »
Lovely new interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt3lG1TuKYQ

Iron Maiden discussion from around the 21 minute mark. Couple of titbits I never knew about regarding material that ended up on Silicon Messiah.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8967 on: June 29, 2022, 06:38:25 AM »

Not like I can assign you homework or anything, but can you weigh in on this?  I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but it's a fairly bold statement given that Harris has taken so much criticism for "never" doing it.  I think even Bruce made comments to that effect at one point.

In any event, I agree with Samsara (except for the knocks on Ozzy and especially David Lee Roth.  Neither man's voice really held up over the years, and there have always been sort of rumors that Roth sings everything one line at a time in the studio, since he can't string together a complete song in one go, but I think he's got some really good vocal parts in the VH catalogue.  Same with Ozzy.  As good as Dio and Ozzy are, neither one could really do justice to their predecessors material, IMO.)

Weigh in on what?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8968 on: June 29, 2022, 06:39:12 AM »
... they lowered the key of Lord of the Flies for Bruce on Death in the Road though, what does that tell you?

Tells me that Bruce has more say in the band than Blaze had. It's well known that one of Bruce's demands for returning was that he had a greater say.

Tuning to Eb these days wouldn't hurt Bruce either just quietly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8969 on: June 29, 2022, 06:41:41 AM »

Weigh in on what?

Whether they dropped the key of TLOTF for Bruce.

EDIT:  Forget it; I just saw your post.  So did they detune a half step, or change the key entirely?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8970 on: June 29, 2022, 06:44:09 AM »

I don't know if he has THAT kind of say, but he does have a lot of pull in the band at this point.  It's my understanding that he's got carte blanche for the stage show aspect.  I always thought Steve kept the reigns on the studio work and the live MUSIC aspect, but I'm pretty sure Bruce choreographed the whole Legacy of the Beast show.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8971 on: June 29, 2022, 06:52:39 AM »
  It's my understanding that he's got carte blanche for the stage show aspect.  I always thought Steve kept the reigns on the studio work and the live MUSIC aspect, but I'm pretty sure Bruce choreographed the whole Legacy of the Beast show.

Stads, don't take this as I'm doubting you at all, because I am not, but I would love to see any reference to this somewhere. I actually find this very interesting and would love to hear more about it.

And seriously, other than the TFF stage, from (and including) Dance Of Death on, their stage shows are fucking amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8972 on: June 29, 2022, 06:56:15 AM »
  It's my understanding that he's got carte blanche for the stage show aspect.  I always thought Steve kept the reigns on the studio work and the live MUSIC aspect, but I'm pretty sure Bruce choreographed the whole Legacy of the Beast show.

Stads, don't take this as I'm doubting you at all, because I am not, but I would love to see any reference to this somewhere. I actually find this very interesting and would love to hear more about it.

And seriously, other than the TFF stage, from (and including) Dance Of Death on, their stage shows are fucking amazing.

I don't take it that way at all; I'll look to see if I can find some sources.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8973 on: June 29, 2022, 07:03:57 AM »
For what it's worth, from reading interviews here and there I was too under the impression that the Legacy of the Beast tour is Bruce's idea, from the setlist to the stage set.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8974 on: June 29, 2022, 07:05:13 AM »
Whoever is responsible for the stage presentation is a fucking genius. It's like a Broadway show at a rock concert. And they make it all work.

For what it's worth, from reading interviews here and there I was too under the impression that the Legacy of the Beast tour is Bruce's idea, from the setlist to the stage set.

Awesome! Thanks Andrea!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8975 on: June 29, 2022, 08:42:59 AM »
Lovely new interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt3lG1TuKYQ

Iron Maiden discussion from around the 21 minute mark. Couple of titbits I never knew about regarding material that ended up on Silicon Messiah.

Very cool interview cheers.

War Within Me is an incredible album, fantastic songs and back to excellent production and fantastic artwork. Had it at #2 and just behind Senjutsu in my 2021 year end rankings but tbh could've gone either way but will probably end up up my second favorite of his solo catalogue behind Silicon Messiah but ahead of Tenth Dimension before too long \m/

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8976 on: June 29, 2022, 08:50:35 AM »
Tim - the reason you can't hear it when a band downtunes is because you're an old fogey with bad ears after all those shows in the 80s my friend. LOL. I don't know how to explain it, other than by just hearing it. I'm an...okay singer, and I can absolutely hear when things are either downtuned or in a different key. I just listen to where my voice goes, and I can tell based on the original album. I am sure some of the more polished singers and the great musicians on here can tell you more.

re: DLR and Ozzy come on folks. I'm not saying I dislike their vocal performances. Obviously, I love some Sabbath/Ozzy solo and I love early VH. But Ozzy and DLR aren't blowing anyone away with their range and vocal control. In their prime, they were average, at best. Doesn't meant they weren't great for their respective bands at the time. But if you put Dio next to Ozzy, and Sammy next to DLR, there's no way on God's green Earth you could convince ANYONE that Sammy and Dio don't blow those two away in all aspects of pure SINGING.  :lol

Anyway, again, much respect for Blaze. I have yet to see him live. I am hoping that at some point, he'll be able to play a few shows on the West Coast.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8977 on: June 29, 2022, 08:55:21 AM »
I saw him three times and he knocked it out of the park every single time. He once performed an acoustic gig and the entire place was trembling, his voice was enough to fill the room. I also enjoyed how, both times when he came back with the full band, the majority of the set list featured his solo songs, which absolutely should be the case.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8978 on: June 29, 2022, 08:58:56 AM »
Tim - the reason you can't hear it when a band downtunes is because you're an old fogey with bad ears after all those shows in the 80s my friend. LOL. I don't know how to explain it, other than by just hearing it.

Hah.. truth, brother! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8979 on: June 29, 2022, 09:37:48 AM »

re: DLR and Ozzy come on folks. I'm not saying I dislike their vocal performances. Obviously, I love some Sabbath/Ozzy solo and I love early VH. But Ozzy and DLR aren't blowing anyone away with their range and vocal control. In their prime, they were average, at best. Doesn't meant they weren't great for their respective bands at the time. But if you put Dio next to Ozzy, and Sammy next to DLR, there's no way on God's green Earth you could convince ANYONE that Sammy and Dio don't blow those two away in all aspects of pure SINGING.  :lol

I just think it's more complicated than that.  Dave, technically, has a five octave range.  Can he scream like Sammy for two hours a night?  Nope.  But he's got a broad palate of sounds to choose from and if that's your thing as a singer, then that's your thing. I sang in bands as well (though not in a while) and I'd rather sing Sammy than Dave.  Ozzy less so, but his problem is more his nasally tone than an inability to sing.  In his prime, he held notes and had a fairly reasonable range for a singer.

In both cases, the one distinguishing feature is, Sammy and Ronny both took care of their voices and had little drop off as they got older.  You can distinguish between the 20's Ozzy/Dave and the 50's Ozzy/Dave even with TAC's ears. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8980 on: June 29, 2022, 09:51:53 AM »
Haha, I can vouch for that.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8981 on: June 29, 2022, 09:58:48 AM »
Silicon Messiah is not one of my go to Blaze albums. Those would be Promise & Terror and The Man Who Would Not Die. But I busted it out for the first time in a long time.
I can definitely see Maiden playing parts of this.

Also, is it me or does the beginning of The Launch sound like the beginning of Kill The King from On Stage?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8982 on: June 29, 2022, 04:24:09 PM »

Weigh in on what?

Whether they dropped the key of TLOTF for Bruce.

EDIT:  Forget it; I just saw your post.  So did they detune a half step, or change the key entirely?

It's down a whole step for Bruce, so the band didn't detune, they just transposed it and played it in their go to key of E for Bruce.  Again, I never picked up on this and I think this maybe the only time they have ever changed a key.

Offline 425

« Reply #8983 on: June 29, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »
That might explain part of why I don't love that version. I cited that I don't think the song is great for Bruce's voice and that the tempo is faster, both of which I think are true and part of it, but I also definitely feel like something is a little different about it that I don't love and that is hard to attribute to either of those factors.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8984 on: June 29, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »
Silicon Messiah is not one of my go to Blaze albums. Those would be Promise & Terror and The Man Who Would Not Die. But I busted it out for the first time in a long time.
I can definitely see Maiden playing parts of this.

Also, is it me or does the beginning of The Launch sound like the beginning of Kill The King from On Stage?

For all my love of Silicon and Tenth etc I can't argue with this, both The Man and Promise And Terror were fantastic and speak volumes of the man's tenacity after being unceremoniously kicked from Maiden (no doubt made all the more difficult to swallow while enthusiastically working towards the next Maiden record), failing to launch ( ;)) a solo career (always wondered why he was never offered a support slot for a Maiden tour about that time!?), not just once but twice!  And of course the sad loss of his partner and ending up financially ruined all about that time...

Yeah, lots of love and respect for The Man Who Would Not and Promise, lots of life reflection in both (the finale of Promise And Terror is particularly outstanding in this aspect) yet class metal albums too boot!

Love his stuff or not, gotta hand it to the man to finally be going so strong after all that (and I might add releasing what is arguably one of the finest records of his career in 2021) is quite something \m/

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8985 on: June 29, 2022, 08:25:26 PM »
Hey how about that great solo work of Bruce Dickinson? :smiley:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8986 on: June 29, 2022, 09:21:42 PM »
The Man Who Would Not Die has always been my fav album.  Something about it.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8987 on: June 29, 2022, 09:35:26 PM »
Hey how about that great solo work of Bruce Dickinson? :smiley:

Now don't get me started on that  :rollin

That stuff's elite! :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #8988 on: June 29, 2022, 09:37:37 PM »
I bought Promise and Terror last year but got distracted with other styles of music and didn't listen to it. Listening for the first time now, and yeah, this is really good stuff. Strong songs and Blaze sounds great.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8989 on: June 29, 2022, 10:18:34 PM »
I bought Promise and Terror last year but got distracted with other styles of music and didn't listen to it. Listening for the first time now, and yeah, this is really good stuff. Strong songs and Blaze sounds great.

This one took a long time to grow for me, but it's nice and heavy.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8990 on: June 29, 2022, 11:02:56 PM »
For me, you can't beat Silicon Messiah and The Tenth Dimension although I think the only weak album in his catalogue is The King of Metal. Last album wasn't bad at all, nor was the William Black trilogy. Although I thought the over the top operatic style was hilarious at first :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8991 on: June 30, 2022, 06:15:00 AM »
Blood and Belief is criminally underrated.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8992 on: June 30, 2022, 07:10:50 AM »

You're probably right. I'm just listening to it now, funnily enough. It's far more similar stylistically and sonically to the first two albums than I remember.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8993 on: June 30, 2022, 07:15:45 AM »

You're probably right. I'm just listening to it now, funnily enough. It's far more similar stylistically and sonically to the first two albums than I remember.

Its like the third part of the trilogy.  The title track might be my favourite Blaze track.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8994 on: June 30, 2022, 07:54:37 AM »

Its like the third part of the trilogy.  The title track might be my favourite Blaze track.

Yea, those first three Blaze albums may be his best.  I don't know, but they are like classics for Blaze.  Obviously he still makes great music, but I hold those three more highly.