Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573425 times)

DoctorAction and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8820 on: June 15, 2022, 08:50:32 PM »
Live After Death is iconic and I can see why many people would rank it high or at the top, but I didn't live through that so it doesn't have that soft spot for me

Same here.

2. Book Of Souls: Live Chapter

It sounds great, but beyond that, the live versions of The Book Of Souls (which did surprisingly well in my rankings), The Red And The Black, and the underrated The Great Unknown, which was fantastic live, are all amazing.

Good to know. I don't think I've ever given this a listen, and I really like that album!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8821 on: June 15, 2022, 09:55:02 PM »
Live After Death is iconic. I did live through it and watched the VHS hundreds of times. It was just the greatest thing ever for the teenage me. I still think it is the greatest live album ever but yeah I get that it doesn't have the same impact on everyone.

My next favourite is Maiden England, I also had the VHS of this and also just loved it. Not as iconic but has iconic moments for me which are probably a bit weird for everyone else. I just love Bruce's 'intro talk' over the beginning of The Evil That Men Do, just something about it. Bruce sings the wrong lyrics in Still Life, Adrian hits a bung note in Wasted Years intro riff in the middle breakdown part (he misses the high E and hits the E flat). I also think Bruce may have had a 'few beers' before the show as he is kind of in a crazy mood in the performance.

Beast Over Hammersmith is also awesome, just a great vibe and 'youthful energy' on this and Bruce is an absolute powerhouse.

All the others have their moments. I don't enjoy the latest live albums as much because Bruce sounds as if he is really struggling/straining vocally. I saw The Book of Souls tour live and thought Bruce was awesome but listening to Live Chapter is a struggle and Legacy of the Beast is even worse.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #8822 on: June 16, 2022, 05:04:05 AM »
Maiden England has the best set list.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8823 on: June 16, 2022, 05:54:41 AM »
Maiden England has the best set list.

Yeah, I've always thought it's their most unique, creative set.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8824 on: June 16, 2022, 06:55:35 AM »
Yes Maiden England is a great setlist.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8825 on: June 16, 2022, 07:27:24 AM »
Can I just say that I like the live albums past Rock In Rio more because Bruce sounds in much better shape? He sounds fine in Beast on the Road and then Live After Death and Maiden England sound like late tour fatigue big time!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8826 on: June 16, 2022, 07:29:07 AM »
Rock in Rio is an essential Maiden DVD for me. It's the Live after death of my generation.  :metal

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8827 on: June 16, 2022, 07:36:15 AM »
Can I just say that I like the live albums past Rock In Rio more because Bruce sounds in much better shape? He sounds fine in Beast on the Road and then Live After Death and Maiden England sound like late tour fatigue big time!
Sorry but I disagree big time in relation to Live After Death and Maiden England.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #8828 on: June 16, 2022, 08:11:21 AM »

It's because their touring schedule was insane back then. It would kill most singers.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8829 on: June 16, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »
As much as I love Live after Death and how important that live VHS was for me growin up he does sound aweful and fatigued at times.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8830 on: June 16, 2022, 10:52:17 AM »
Live After Death is a great record and transports a lot of energy, but Bruce doesn't sound good.

Same goes for Maiden England, the chorus to Run To The Hills is almost painful to hear.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8831 on: June 16, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »
Beast over Hammersmith is by far the best live Maiden that represents the early days.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8832 on: June 16, 2022, 04:32:19 PM »
Beast over Hammersmith is by far the best live Maiden that represents the early days.

Great album

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8833 on: June 16, 2022, 04:45:18 PM »
While doing my list for the top 75, I used the ranking system and listened to songs that I was unfamiliar with. Which was the entire discography of Iron Maiden. I found some great songs in all of their albums, and those songs ranged from the reunion, the Blaze, and classic eras.

Iron Maiden has so many great songs that it's a shame they do not play these songs much at all live. To me, I feel it's a waste that Iron Maiden, or more the state of the music industry, has made these great songs to go by the wayside and never played live. That music industry idea of pleasing the casual fans and bringing in cash.

I would be all in for a reunion era set, or more, a set containing nothing but songs that are not the hit singles.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8834 on: June 16, 2022, 05:01:36 PM »

Great album

You have 2 days to rank your fav 75 Maiden songs mate.  Chop chop!!

Offline 425

« Reply #8835 on: June 16, 2022, 05:06:29 PM »
While doing my list for the top 75, I used the ranking system and listened to songs that I was unfamiliar with. Which was the entire discography of Iron Maiden. I found some great songs in all of their albums, and those songs ranged from the reunion, the Blaze, and classic eras.

Iron Maiden has so many great songs that it's a shame they do not play these songs much at all live. To me, I feel it's a waste that Iron Maiden, or more the state of the music industry, has made these great songs to go by the wayside and never played live. That music industry idea of pleasing the casual fans and bringing in cash.

I would be all in for a reunion era set, or more, a set containing nothing but songs that are not the hit singles.

I wish they would play more deep cuts, too, but they genuinely do get a lot of backlash and a lot less crowd engagement, especially in the United States, when they don't play the same set of songs that they've played hundreds of times before. It's hard for me to blame the music industry when a sizable portion of the audience has made its attitude toward hearing deep cuts quite clear.

But do I read you correctly in saying that you'd never heard any of their music before, and listened to the whole discography to do this list? If so, that's really impressive dedication, and I'm glad to hear you found so much to enjoy!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8836 on: June 16, 2022, 05:34:06 PM »
Every time I listen to the red and the Black I can’t help but think that the opening versus sound so awkward and “busy” for lack of a better term. But once you get past the first few minutes, it gets better and better and ends really strong. I just think the opening verses are a bit meh. Bruce doing those fast lines that don’t do anything but mirror the guitar riff just doesn’t work at all. But the rest is amazing!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8837 on: June 16, 2022, 06:13:25 PM »

I wish they would play more deep cuts, too, but they genuinely do get a lot of backlash and a lot less crowd engagement, especially in the United States, when they don't play the same set of songs that they've played hundreds of times before. It's hard for me to blame the music industry when a sizable portion of the audience has made its attitude toward hearing deep cuts quite clear.

But do I read you correctly in saying that you'd never heard any of their music before, and listened to the whole discography to do this list? If so, that's really impressive dedication, and I'm glad to hear you found so much to enjoy!

I have only heard bits and pieces from all their albums, and not enough to remember much how they sounded like. So listening to those songs again was like listening to them for the first time. And being into them since the release of The Wicker Man (single version), I never really took the time to get more into the albums. I did get into Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (album), I did buy Piece of Mind and A Matter of Life and Death (it was the new album at the time), I also bought Brave New World and Dance of Death. I stopped buying cd's and started listening to the rest on Spotify whenever I would remember or feel in that mood. I have also seen them live a quite a few times and loved some of the songs like The Clansman, Sign of The Cross, and some of their casuals like Fear of The Dark, Wrathchild, and Iron Maiden.

The ranking gave me that opportunity to give their songs a good listening and I found some fascinating gems in all their albums, some of which are surprising for the hardcore Iron Maiden fan. I do think they're good songs, and I will also reveal along as the rankings go. It'll be fun I think to get a sort of newer fans perspective on their songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nick_z

« Reply #8838 on: June 16, 2022, 06:46:27 PM »
Just a thought..

I feel like The Red And The Black is the Reunion Era's version of The Duellists. I rate both tracks fairly high, but being honest, they're both just ok tracks, but both have this amazing lose-yourself-in long magical musical passages. I wish we had a live version of The Duellists.

Every time I listen to the red and the Black I can’t help but think that the opening versus sound so awkward and “busy” for lack of a better term. But once you get past the first few minutes, it gets better and better and ends really strong. I just think the opening verses are a bit meh. Bruce doing those fast lines that don’t do anything but mirror the guitar riff just doesn’t work at all. But the rest is amazing!

Yep, agree with both. The main appeal of The Red and the Black for me is the instrumental stuff. There are some beautiful leads/riffs in there.

And yes, Bruce/the guitars following the same melodies is a bit baffling. It's one of the very few things that annoy me about Senjutsu (the album), actually.  They do that in a few instances (most egregiously in Hell on Earth, which I love, BTW) and I'm not quite sure why. It mostly sounds awkward...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8839 on: June 16, 2022, 06:58:00 PM »
I don't mind that comparison to The Duellists and TRATB, not bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8840 on: June 16, 2022, 07:04:45 PM »
I don't mind that comparison to The Duellists and TRATB, not bad.

I thought it was damn insightful, myself.  :lol

Both tracks have excellent ratings from me in the upcoming countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8841 on: June 16, 2022, 07:22:43 PM »

Great album

Me? I sent my list already.   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8842 on: June 16, 2022, 07:26:15 PM »

Great album

Me? I sent my list already.   :)

No, Jason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8843 on: June 16, 2022, 08:03:28 PM »
Somewhere in Time is such as amazing album

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8844 on: June 16, 2022, 10:15:38 PM »
Somewhere in Time is such as amazing album

I love it as well. It stands alone. Nothing sounds like it before or after.

Offline 425

« Reply #8845 on: June 16, 2022, 11:59:55 PM »
AMOLAD and TFF tonight, in hopes of having my list done by Friday. This run only reinforces these two as my #2 and my #1. There was a time when I thought that Senjutsu was a serious threat to AMOLAD's place, but now I don't think it's like—I think it will land third or fourth.

I say this, and I feel confident at the time, and then I come back to Senjutsu, and it's all even better than I remembered... it would be a tough, tough choice. Fortunately I don't really have to choose!

The Book of Souls was obviously in between these. I stand by my view that this album is a dip in quality. I had a hard time evaluating it until its successor came out. It was the first Maiden album that came out after I was a fan, so it was hard for me to tell whether I was being fair to it or whether it wasn't clicking with me because it wasn't one of the ones I already knew and loved. Once Senjutsu came out and I fell in love with it immediately, I realized I wasn't being unfair to TBoS. But interestingly enough, that took some of the pressure off it, and I was able to enjoy it for what it is. And it still is a really good album. There are a few songs that aren't up to the standard they set on the preceding two albums, but there's still a ton of superb material on there, including some that I don't see people mentioning a lot. I love Shadows of the Valley and The Man of Sorrows.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8846 on: June 17, 2022, 12:26:25 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of The Book of Souls. I have mentioned previously that this album hasn't aged well for me and I do think it is easily the weakest of the reunion era albums. My biggest problem with it is that many of the songs are bloated and overly long. You mention Shadows of the Valley as a good song, but it just never ends. It should have been 5 minutes not 7+. The biggest offender is The Red and the Black, that is an awesome 7 minute song that goes for 13 minutes! I do have 3 songs from the album in my top 75 though so there is that.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8847 on: June 17, 2022, 04:59:34 AM »
Empire of the Clouds is the worst culprit for going on and on, and without much variation. The melody is great but it's repeated ad nauseum.

I don't think Book of Souls is a bad album (although Shadow of the Valley, Great Unknown and Man of Sorrows are real snoozers) but not a single track from it made my 75.

Opinions, opinions.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #8848 on: June 17, 2022, 05:16:30 AM »
The Book of Souls should have been a single disc. We can argue and disagree on exactly what we would have edited out, but surely we can all agree that ANYTHING that got it down to a single disc length would have been an improvement?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Dream Team

« Reply #8849 on: June 17, 2022, 06:00:29 AM »
The Book of Souls should have been a single disc. We can argue and disagree on exactly what we would have edited out, but surely we can all agree that ANYTHING that got it down to a single disc length would have been an improvement?

That applies even more to Senjutsu. Could have trimmed any of the endless repetition like the middle of LIALW.

Offline 425

« Reply #8850 on: June 17, 2022, 09:23:07 AM »

I think the problem is that if we disagree on what to remove, it wouldn't be an improvement. For example, nobloodyname would want to get rid of three songs that I think are indispensable. My very first cut would be Death or Glory, which I know a lot of people love. It's fine as it is.

And absolutely do not touch one single note of Senjutsu.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8851 on: June 17, 2022, 09:26:23 AM »

That applies even more to Senjutsu. Could have trimmed any of the endless repetition like the middle of LIALW.

No.  Senjutsu is perhaps my favorite Iron Maiden album at this point.

EDIT:  I'm seriously worried that my first 10 songs are all going to be from Senjutsu.   :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 04:40:17 PM by Stadler »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #8852 on: June 17, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »
Book of Souls? More like Encyclopedia of Souls!  Yeah, listening to that one recently was kind of a chore.  Only Maiden albums of the ones I own that I can say that about.  Senjutsu, on the other hand, is fine just the way it is.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8853 on: June 17, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »
Yeah. I think I'd leave Senjutsu alone. Only thing I'd change is the really weird transition in... I think it's in Death of the Celts. Sounds like they came back and recorded it the next day and someone had moved the amps. It's quite jarring.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Dream Team

« Reply #8854 on: June 17, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »

No.  Senjutsu is perhaps my favorite Iron Maiden album at this point.

Okay,  but the point is you couldn't live without a couple of bars of the repetitive sections? (also repetitive in the sense they've used the exact same sequence of notes on many prior songs).