Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573349 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8750 on: June 13, 2022, 08:44:46 PM »
In listening to my FOTD-Senjutsu run the last two weeks, I have a few more thoughts.

Fear of the Dark - I find myself rather enjoying some parts, but on the whole it’s just so disappointing for a Maiden album. I never use the word “pedestrian” in an artistic sense, because I feel it makes you sound pretentious when you say it. But I just can’t come up with a better descriptive term for the album.  It feels like when you go to see a fairly cool local bar band that’s been around awhile, and they have a CD, and they are tight, and you singalong to some of their catchier tracks and you wonder why these guys aren’t bigger…then you get home and put on the CD *without* the beer and you go…”meh, there’s a couple of good tracks here, but it’s really not as good as I remember it being in the bar.”  I think most of us have had that experience, and that’s what this album feels like.  Yes…there are a couple of really fantastic tracks, but most of the rest is just either OK, or downright klunky. The Apparition sounds like an AC/DC idea that even Malcolm would have turned into a b-side. Meanwhile, the opener, the title track, and maybe a couple of others save it. ATSS is really excellent, and I love the chorus for FHTE even if the verses are a bit klunky. Wasting Love is surprisingly good considering the hate I see it get. There’s far worse songs here. The rest is mostly forgettable.

BNW just keeps getting better and better with each listen. Lately I’ve been hooked on Dream of Mirrors (in spite of the fact that I usually hate that much repetition) and the title track is also excellent.

DoD is leaving me flat. The opening track, Paschendale, and Face in the Sand are my only standouts at the moment.

AMOLAD is still probably my favorite. Every song on this album is incredible. Don’t see how it’s not top 5 Maiden in everyone’s book. It might be their greatest front to back album since NOTB.

TFF also improves with every listen. I’m starting to come around to the idea that the intro should have been a separate track, but the response it gets baffles me. I think it absolutely kicks all kinds of booty seven ways to Sunday. All 4 1/2 glorious minutes of it. A great follow up album to AMOLAD

TBOS - this took a huge drop in my book. 2-3 great tracks and the rest just doesn’t grab me at all.

Senjutsu - much more like it! My “new car smell” makes me want to say it’s easily their 2nd best reunion album…possibly even better than AMOLAD, but it’s so new that it’s hard to say. This is going to be the hardest one to put through the ranker just because of the new-ness of it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #8751 on: June 13, 2022, 09:02:17 PM »
In listening to my FOTD-Senjutsu run the last two weeks, I have a few more thoughts.

Fear of the Dark - I find myself rather enjoying some parts, but on the whole it’s just so disappointing for a Maiden album. I never use the word “pedestrian” in an artistic sense, because I feel it makes you sound pretentious when you say it. But I just can’t come up with a better descriptive term for the album.  It feels like when you go to see a fairly cool local bar band that’s been around awhile, and they have a CD, and they are tight, and you singalong to some of their catchier tracks and you wonder why these guys aren’t bigger…then you get home and put on the CD *without* the beer and you go…”meh, there’s a couple of good tracks here, but it’s really not as good as I remember it being in the bar.”  I think most of us have had that experience, and that’s what this album feels like.  Yes…there are a couple of really fantastic tracks, but most of the rest is just either OK, or downright klunky. The Apparition sounds like an AC/DC idea that even Malcolm would have turned into a b-side. Meanwhile, the opener, the title track, and maybe a couple of others save it. ATSS is really excellent, and I love the chorus for FHTE even if the verses are a bit klunky. Wasting Love is surprisingly good considering the hate I see it get. There’s far worse songs here. The rest is mostly forgettable.

I pretty much agree with this, unfortunately. I listened to it last week for the first time in years, wondering if I would hear it differently than I always had, and... I didn't. The songs just aren't there, with a couple of notable exceptions. To me, it feels like an album that doesn't know what it wants to be. No Prayer for the Dying had more of a direction, more of a focus. I didn't particularly enjoy that direction, but it was there, and some of the results were pretty good. Fear of the Dark feels like an album that wants to do a lot of different things, and doesn't do many of them particularly well.

What it does well is Maiden's brand of prog-infused heavy metal, which it does on two tracks: Fear of the Dark and Afraid to Shoot Strangers. That's exactly the side of the band's songwriting that it feels like they're repressing both here and on No Prayer, but those times when it partially breaks through are among the brightest spots on those two albums. The "best of the rest" on FotD might well be Fear is the Key, which is the third-proggiest song there. Wasting Love is solid, but it would be toward the bottom of most of their other albums. And yes, yes, Judas Be My Guide is a good song, but it's not THAT good. A lot of the rest of this is songs that have a section or two that I enjoy, but don't coalesce into something that I want to go back to.

Listening to this album in the context of a discography run really gives me the feeling that, yes, there badly needed to be a shake-up of some kind at this point. And while I don't have a behind-the-scenes insight into what wasn't working, it's not surprising to me that Bruce is the one who left. The approach he started taking on No Prayer is bizarre and misses far more often than it hits, but at least it made some sense given the direction of that album. On FotD it comes across as even more bizarre, and I think it's the closest he will probably ever come to delivering a bad performance.

I don't want to take anything away from those who love this album. I wish I could love it, too, and I'm glad y'all get joy from it. But my experience is mainly frustration. Which is not really the case with any other Maiden album, even No Prayer for the Dying.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8752 on: June 13, 2022, 09:15:18 PM »
When SiT came out, I was convinced it was their best album so far. At the time...
It still is!   :yarr
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8753 on: June 13, 2022, 09:22:01 PM »
I don't think the modern, muddy as hell sound helps either of the last two albums (I can't comprehend how anyone doesn't hear how muddy those albums are), but there are a few good tunes on both that are pretty worthy, mud and all.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #8754 on: June 13, 2022, 09:58:17 PM »
I don't think the modern, muddy as hell sound helps either of the last two albums (I can't comprehend how anyone doesn't hear how muddy those albums are), but there are a few good tunes on both that are pretty worthy, mud and all.
I agree, the production on Book of Souls and Senjutsu are not great. However they both have some amazing songs.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline 425

« Reply #8755 on: June 13, 2022, 10:01:44 PM »
Dance of Death is the only reunion album where the production routinely bothers me (although I agree that the others could be much better), but I still love it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8756 on: June 13, 2022, 10:07:59 PM »
I agree, the production on Book of Souls and Senjutsu are not great. However they both have some amazing songs.

Agreed but they are more than audible. Senjutsu sounds like they released the demo versions of the album. But I actually find it gives it its charm. Love it. Book of Souls is fine but I would love to get a shot at remastering it from the original files. I would brighten it up a bit.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8757 on: June 13, 2022, 11:41:20 PM »
Probably random and likely a degree of being new, but I find BOS a bit bloated and a slog while can play Senjutsu front to back no problems...

Nice writeup jammindude, would agree with most those thoughts although could squeeze a couple more FOTD tracks into a lost of faves no probs ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8758 on: June 13, 2022, 11:56:30 PM »
Probably random and likely a degree of being new, but I find BOS a bit bloated and a slog while can play Senjutsu front to back no problems...

Nice writeup jammindude, would agree with most those thoughts although could squeeze a couple more FOTD tracks into a lost of faves no probs ;)

425 mentioned Fear is the Key and I would say that’s a fair addition. Throw Childhoods End on the pile as well. But again, they don’t really blow my mind like so many other IM songs do. When I do get my final list together, I’d be shocked if anything other than BQOBD, ATSS, and FOTD made the final list.  EDIT - and BQOBD is iffy.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8759 on: June 14, 2022, 12:47:52 AM »

BNW just keeps getting better and better with each listen. Lately I’ve been hooked on Dream of Mirrors (in spite of the fact that I usually hate that much repetition) and the title track is also excellent.

DoD is leaving me flat. The opening track, Paschendale, and Face in the Sand are my only standouts at the moment.

AMOLAD is still probably my favorite. Every song on this album is incredible. Don’t see how it’s not top 5 Maiden in everyone’s book. It might be their greatest front to back album since NOTB.

TFF also improves with every listen. I’m starting to come around to the idea that the intro should have been a separate track, but the response it gets baffles me. I think it absolutely kicks all kinds of booty seven ways to Sunday. All 4 1/2 glorious minutes of it. A great follow up album to AMOLAD

TBOS - this took a huge drop in my book. 2-3 great tracks and the rest just doesn’t grab me at all.

Senjutsu - much more like it! My “new car smell” makes me want to say it’s easily their 2nd best reunion album…possibly even better than AMOLAD, but it’s so new that it’s hard to say. This is going to be the hardest one to put through the ranker just because of the new-ness of it.

Great write up. Most of your reunion album analysis I agree with.

TBOS - totally agree. This album has not aged at all well for me. I struggle to even get through it these days, easily the weakest reunion album.

AMOLAD - is also probably my fav reunion album and I do really like every song.

TFF - this album took me a while but I do really like this one.

Fear of the Dark - yeah I can see what you are saying. It is a really up and down album but I do appreciate it much more today then I did upon release. I have let go of the baggage I associated with this one when I first picked it up on release day. When I started doing my top 75 I thought at most I would only get 2 songs from this album in the top 75 but more than that have actually crept into my final list.

Offline 425

« Reply #8760 on: June 14, 2022, 01:56:09 AM »

425 mentioned Fear is the Key and I would say that’s a fair addition. Throw Childhoods End on the pile as well. But again, they don’t really blow my mind like so many other IM songs do. When I do get my final list together, I’d be shocked if anything other than BQOBD, ATSS, and FOTD made the final list.  EDIT - and BQOBD is iffy.

I can't stand Childhood's End, but I think that's more of an idiosyncratic, personal thing—I really dislike whatever that percussion sound under the chorus is.

I found this time that I enjoyed Be Quick or Be Dead a lot less than I used to. I think I'm becoming more annoyed by Bruce's vocal approach on that one. For me, it's going to just be the obvious two. Way too many deserving songs on so many of their other albums.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8761 on: June 14, 2022, 03:45:24 AM »
You guys are missing the boat on Childhood’s End.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8762 on: June 14, 2022, 03:53:07 AM »
I haven't heard an Iron Maiden song that I enjoy less than Childhood's end. Everything about it is nails on the chalkboard to me.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8763 on: June 14, 2022, 04:06:21 AM »
Mladen clearly hasn’t heard The Apparition yet.

Man, Childhood’s End is actually a highlight in that album by the time you’re finished. Wasting Love is one of the worst ballads in their discography is my biggest take away from today’s listen through of FOTD.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8764 on: June 14, 2022, 05:32:27 AM »

I really notice it when I listen to the band on shuffle.  When anything from the last two albums comes on, it is like someone threw a blanket over my speakers.  Even the first four reunion albums, all of which could also sound better when compared to the 80s albums, sound quite a bit better than the last two.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8765 on: June 14, 2022, 06:43:02 AM »

I really notice it when I listen to the band on shuffle.  When anything from the last two albums comes on, it is like someone threw a blanket over my speakers.  Even the first four reunion albums, all of which could also sound better when compared to the 80s albums, sound quite a bit better than the last two.

Pretty sure this is an intentional Steve Harris decision. He wants a "live" feel but then the live albums end up sounding better than the studio ones.  ::)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8766 on: June 14, 2022, 09:28:19 AM »
They're at it again!

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Tears Of The Dragon

I don't want to watch, but something draws me there; I don't know what to do!

lol that response just reminded me of...

Now it's clear and I know what I have to do
I must take you down there to look at them too

I should hope so!   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8767 on: June 14, 2022, 09:39:45 AM »
I guess I meant, the lyrics I quoted seemed to also relate.  I didn't word that right, obviously you quoted the Still Life, but I felt the quote I used related to Tim dragging the rest of this thread down to those videos so more of a follow up quote from the same song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8768 on: June 14, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »
They're at it again!

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Tears Of The Dragon

I don't want to watch, but something draws me there; I don't know what to do!

lol that response just reminded me of...

Now it's clear and I know what I have to do
I must take you down there to look at them too

I should hope so!   :biggrin:

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" delivered everything I could have hoped for.  :) :) :) :) :) That intro!  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8769 on: June 14, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" delivered everything I could have hoped for.  :) :) :) :) :) That intro!  :)

:lol

Why didn't Maiden think of using that note in the intro? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8770 on: June 14, 2022, 01:38:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to a new live album from this tour! It would be cool if they only played songs from reunion era. Obviously that wouldn't happen but how cool would that be to hear live versions of songs they probably even forgot how to play since recording them?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8771 on: June 14, 2022, 01:55:42 PM »
I dont expect one since they already released a live album for the Legacy of the Beast tour, but I would love if they made a live video.  This tour is all about the visuals.  Add in the 3 Senjutsu songs and it would be worth it IMO to purchase.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8772 on: June 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
I dont expect one since they already released a live album for the Legacy of the Beast tour, but I would love if they made a live video.  This tour is all about the visuals.  Add in the 3 Senjutsu songs and it would be worth it IMO to purchase.

I was watching parts of the Donnington show last night. The Senjutsu stage set is incredible. The whole entire production is next level. The Legacy show was stunning to see live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8773 on: June 14, 2022, 02:04:51 PM »

I was watching parts of the Donnington show last night. The Senjutsu stage set is incredible. The whole entire production is next level. The Legacy show was stunning to see live.

I've seen a few pictures of the set, it looks great.  But I'm trying to avoid watching the videos until after I see them in October.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8774 on: June 14, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »

How did Bruce sound?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8775 on: June 14, 2022, 02:07:09 PM »

I've seen a few pictures of the set, it looks great.  But I'm trying to avoid watching the videos until after I see them in October.

I am passing on the October show, but even if I was going....I'D STILL WATCH!! ;D

How did Bruce sound?

I thought he sounded fantastic.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8776 on: June 14, 2022, 02:44:15 PM »
I’m starting to wonder if we will get a proper Senjutsu tour. They are currently still technically putting a delayed finish to the Legacy tour with 3 new tracks thrown in for good measure.

Do you guys think they will still do a proper Senjutsu tour when this is done? I’d rather see a live video of that. I wouldn’t even mind if they played the full album!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8777 on: June 14, 2022, 02:52:39 PM »
I love much of the album, but not enough of it for them to play the entire thing. This album doesn’t play that way for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8778 on: June 14, 2022, 03:00:12 PM »
I love much of the album, but not enough of it for them to play the entire thing. This album doesn’t play that way for me.

Even if they did a full-blown tour with five or six of the songs and then released a live video of that I would be happy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8779 on: June 14, 2022, 03:01:52 PM »
I thought someone in the band said a full senjutsu tour was going to happen after this tour and that the full album being played was on the table. 

And yes, I'd be happy with any professional live video from Maiden be it from Legacy of the Beast or a future Senjutsu tour, or both!  En Vivo was so well done, that I really would like another live video similar to that. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8780 on: June 14, 2022, 03:06:22 PM »
I'm looking forward to a new live album from this tour! It would be cool if they only played songs from reunion era. Obviously that wouldn't happen but how cool would that be to hear live versions of songs they probably even forgot how to play since recording them?

Big +1 to the bolded.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8781 on: June 14, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »

Even if they did a full-blown tour with five or six of the songs and then released a live video of that I would be happy

Oh definitely. They've done it for every album except AMOLAD.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8782 on: June 14, 2022, 03:31:28 PM »

Oh definitely. They've done it for every album except AMOLAD.

Much to my chagrin.

That would be my #1 IM wish. A complete pro shot release of the AMOLAD tour where they played the album in full.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8783 on: June 14, 2022, 03:39:43 PM »
Luckily there are so many great boots from the tour, and honestly, I enjoy those more than most pro shots.

Offline 425

« Reply #8784 on: June 14, 2022, 10:00:16 PM »
AMOLAD and TFF tonight, in hopes of having my list done by Friday. This run only reinforces these two as my #2 and my #1. There was a time when I thought that Senjutsu was a serious threat to AMOLAD's place, but now I don't think it's like—I think it will land third or fourth.

I commented back when I listened to SiT that I think Adrian just tears it up on that album, and I think TFF may be the second-most noticeable album in this regard. He has a lot of great solos, including just... Starblind, and some great songs to his credit (Isle of Avalon, Starblind, Coming Home, Mother of Mercy).
And if spirit's a sign,