Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573201 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8715 on: June 08, 2022, 01:02:29 AM »
Meta(l) observation:

I love that the are two threads about Maiden here and every day I can drop in and find a new post on both. Brilliant!

Exactly! The only negative is that you have to remember what you said in one thread v what you said in the other and keeping track of it all but you can obviously never have too much Maiden talk going on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8716 on: June 08, 2022, 06:58:57 AM »
So... my musical was life changed forever on this day 30 years ago.

I went to see this show. After Iron Maiden played L'Amours in Broooklyn in 1988, my college roomate, who was from northern NJ, and I vowed that if they ever did something like that again, we'd be there. Sure enough, in the summer of 1992, they scheduled a show at The Ritz, and we were not missing it.

I've told this story before, but we got there early to get a good spot for Iron Maiden. But that meant having to stand for some lame local no name band.
Well, one minute into Dream Theater's set and I was BLOWN AWAY. This was the most incredible band I've ever seen. I really wished I'd taken some pics of DT, but I did not want to chance getting busted before Iron Maiden.
My two immediate thoughts about DT were...
1. the drummer was amazing, and
2. the bass player was insane. Yes I said that! JM was a head thrashing satin shirt wearing madman in those days.

The video boot to the Iron Maiden set is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SoofegTwk

In spots down in front of Dave, you can see my flash going off from my camera in a few spots. This video can also be a bit shaky, but it does settle down to be quite watchable.

Seems the full Dream Theater set isn't on youtube, but Learning  To Live is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvSWzXSD42Y

James is ridiculous at this show too.

DT's setlist was:
Pull Me Under
Under a Glass Moon
Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
A Fortune in Lies
Learning to Live

Dream Theater would basically become the soundtrack to my adult life. I was 23 on June 8th, 1992.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8717 on: June 08, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
What a friggin' bargain for $22.50.

EDIT:  My brother had that Zappa shirt.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 07:20:51 AM by Stadler »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #8718 on: June 08, 2022, 07:18:29 AM »

I went to see this show. After Iron Maiden played L'Amours in Broooklyn in 1988, my college roomate, who was from northern NJ, and I vowed that if they ever did something like that again, we'd be there. Sure enough, in the summer of 1992, they scheduled a show at The Ritz, and we were not missing it.

I've told this story before, but we got there early to get a good spot for Iron Maiden. But that meant having to stand for some lame local no name band.
Well, one minute into Dream Theater's set and I was BLOWN AWAY. This was the most incredible band I've ever seen.

Nice story. Hadn't even occurred to me it was 30 years ago this summer since I discovered DT - a band I still describe as "what the music in my head sounds like." That intro to PMU grabbed me in the same way. I was also 23 in 92...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8719 on: June 08, 2022, 07:19:01 AM »
What a friggin' bargain for $22.50.

Yeah, but that $2.75 service charge was a bitch. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8720 on: June 08, 2022, 09:48:16 AM »
I never cared for Cross Eyed Mary.

Bruce sounds excellent on it!

That was the first time I heard the song.  I had the Piece of Mind picture disc, which had CEM as an extra track (and to this day, it still sounds odd to have The Trooper play immediately after Boots).  Love the cover.  I was actually a bit disappointed when I heard the original, although I now like it (but still prefer the Maiden cover).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8721 on: June 08, 2022, 09:49:57 AM »
You'd never heard the original Cross Eyed Mary before the Maiden cover? I'm surprised at that. They played the Tull version all the time on the radio.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8722 on: June 08, 2022, 09:53:01 AM »

Well, one minute into Dream Theater's set and I was BLOWN AWAY. This was the most incredible band I've ever seen.

Nice story. Hadn't even occurred to me it was 30 years ago this summer since I discovered DT - a band I still describe as "what the music in my head sounds like." That intro to PMU grabbed me in the same way. I was also 23 in 92...

We're less than a month from the 30th anniversary of the release of I&W (I was a few months shy of turning 25).  Pretty wild to think about that!

You'd never heard the original Cross Eyed Mary before the Maiden cover? I'm surprised at that. They played the Tull version all the time on the radio.

"They"?  No radio station around here was playing any Tull other than Aqualung and the radio edits of Thick as a Brick and Locomotive Breath.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8723 on: June 08, 2022, 10:26:19 AM »
I love reading TACs story  :yarr

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8724 on: June 08, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »

That was the first time I heard the song.  I had the Piece of Mind picture disc, which had CEM as an extra track (and to this day, it still sounds odd to have The Trooper play immediately after Boots).  Love the cover.  I was actually a bit disappointed when I heard the original, although I now like it (but still prefer the Maiden cover).

I can't find the cite for this, but they famously recorded it in a higher key than Bruce was expecting.  He still sang the shit out of it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8725 on: June 08, 2022, 01:46:08 PM »

I can't find the cite for this, but they famously recorded it in a higher key than Bruce was expecting.  He still sang the shit out of it.

I mean...the verses are in E and the chorus is in A, which is both pretty standard fare for Maiden and the same as the original.

EDIT:  I just listened to Doug Helvering's reaction video for The Trooper and CEM.  He confirmed that the Maiden version is in the same key but said that Bruce's vocals were an octave higher than what Ian Anderson had done.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 04:59:18 PM by pg1067 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8726 on: June 08, 2022, 09:21:45 PM »
Definitely love hearing someone recount the exact date and place their musical journey was significantly altered forever.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8727 on: June 09, 2022, 12:23:53 AM »
Definitely love hearing someone recount the exact date and place their musical journey was significantly altered forever.

A great read for sure and what a double bill!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8728 on: June 10, 2022, 06:41:14 PM »
I remember being in high school with all the talk among my friends about what to expect when Maiden releases Somewhere In Time. I had heard they were going to add synths so I was nervously optimistic. When MTV released the Wasted Years video I loved it, then a local radio station played Stranger in a Strange Land and I loved where the album was going as it was a cool change for them. Back then radio stations had more leeway to play pre-releases so I also heard Deja-Vu before it came out. Bottom line I went straight to the record store on the release day and bought the album/record and I loved every single song, yes even Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, haha! I miss the old days when you had to find a ride to buy albums and hope it wasn't sold out when you got there having to wait a week to get it and going to a lucky friends house who did have it. I feel we all just appreciated music "differently" being it was not quick easy access. Old school forever!!!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8729 on: June 10, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
I remember being in high school with all the talk among my friends about what to expect when Maiden releases Somewhere In Time. I had heard they were going to add synths so I was nervously optimistic. When MTV released the Wasted Years video I loved it, then a local radio station played Stranger in a Strange Land and I loved where the album was going as it was a cool change for them. Back then radio stations had more leeway to play pre-releases so I also heard Deja-Vu before it came out. Bottom line I went straight to the record store on the release day and bought the album/record and I loved every single song, yes even Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, haha! I miss the old days when you had to find a ride to buy albums and hope it wasn't sold out when you got there having to wait a week to get it and going to a lucky friends house who did have it. I feel we all just appreciated music "differently" being it was not quick easy access. Old school forever!!!  :metal

When SiT came out, I was convinced it was their best album so far. At the time...

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #8730 on: June 10, 2022, 07:11:11 PM »

A huge plus 1 on this post. I miss those days too, the sense of mystery and discovery that happened when a new album was released. And yeah, Somewhere In Time is by a long distance (!) my favourite Maiden album, and the much-maligned Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner has a very healthy chance of making my #1 in the top 75 thread.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8731 on: June 10, 2022, 07:12:24 PM »
Jeez, TLOTLDR wasn't even one of the 106 songs that made the nomination process for the Top 75.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8732 on: June 10, 2022, 07:12:47 PM »

When SiT came out, I was convinced it was their best album so far. At the time...

I was a Powerslave fanboy but I still rank SIT very high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8733 on: June 10, 2022, 07:18:11 PM »
See, I didn't care for Powerslave when it came out. At all. I thought SiT sounded so fresh. They did something new, where I thought Powerslave sounded so tired and cliched.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8734 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:05 AM »
I love Powerslave. Maiden may actually be my all time favorite band. I am always in the mood to listen to them where other bands I can go months without listening.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8735 on: June 12, 2022, 04:11:25 PM »
Great story and pix, Tim :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8736 on: June 12, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »

A huge plus 1 on this post. I miss those days too, the sense of mystery and discovery that happened when a new album was released. And yeah, Somewhere In Time is by a long distance (!) my favourite Maiden album, and the much-maligned Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner has a very healthy chance of making my #1 in the top 75 thread.

Wow, I have it ranked high, but not that high.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #8737 on: June 12, 2022, 09:33:45 PM »
Just reached Brave New World on my now-highly-accelerated discography run, and I think I may have somehow failed to properly appreciate The Thin Line Between Love and Hate for literally ten years.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8738 on: June 12, 2022, 11:23:32 PM »
Just reached Brave New World on my now-highly-accelerated discography run, and I think I may have somehow failed to properly appreciate The Thin Line Between Love and Hate for literally ten years.

I'm reasonably confident I'll have one of the highest placed rankings for that tune. Never seems to get mentioned much here but for me, it's quintessential reunion Maiden.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8739 on: June 13, 2022, 08:04:09 AM »

I can say that for the entire album.  I consistently rank it as the least of the reunion era records, but I listened to it twice over the weekend and it is WAY better than I remember it being.   It might still be last, but it's because everything else is so strong not because it is weak. I can see five songs making the top 75 list.    I also was surprised at how well Virtual XI has aged; I'm going to go out on a limb and say a) TAATG is the best song on the album, and b) I will likely have the highest ranking of TAATG in the list (though it won't be number one). 

I still have no idea what my No. 1 will be, which is unusual for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8740 on: June 13, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »

I can say that for the entire album.  I consistently rank it as the least of the reunion era records, but I listened to it twice over the weekend and it is WAY better than I remember it being.   It might still be last, but it's because everything else is so strong not because it is weak. I can see five songs making the top 75 list.    I also was surprised at how well Virtual XI has aged; I'm going to go out on a limb and say a) TAATG is the best song on the album, and b) I will likely have the highest ranking of TAATG in the list (though it won't be number one). 

Motion to disqualify Stadler’s list.

;D :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8741 on: June 13, 2022, 08:27:25 AM »

Motion to disqualify Stadler’s list.

;D :angel:

Yeah seriously  :lol gtfo with that opinion!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8742 on: June 13, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »
Stadler takes pride in having the highest ranking of TAATTG. If only by the simple fact the he’s the only one that has it on their list. Could have it 75 and still qualify for the highest ranking.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8743 on: June 13, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »
Stadler takes pride in having the highest ranking of TAATTG. If only by the simple fact the he’s the only one that has it on their list. Could have it 75 and still qualify for the highest ranking.

I don't know if "pride" is the right word; I just listened to it again twice this weekend, and I LOVE the sound of the guitars, I love the "The angel on one side..." part, and I found myself singing that song the rest of the day.  It's not anything conscious, it's just the song that stuck with me the most.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8744 on: June 13, 2022, 09:27:10 AM »
I hear you.  It had been ages before I listened to it last week and it does have a lot going for it.

Offline 425

« Reply #8745 on: June 13, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »

I've also been surprised lately at how much I love VXI. I listened to it a few times last year, and then again this past weekend, and I honestly would put it on par with TXF if you asked me today, which is something I never would have said before. There are a ton of candidates for my list on there. 75 is so, so selective, so I don't know if The Angel and the Gambler will quite make it for me, but if it misses, it won't be by much. The more I listen to that song, the more I like it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8746 on: June 13, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8747 on: June 13, 2022, 05:16:34 PM »
They're at it again!

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Tears Of The Dragon

I don't want to watch, but something draws me there; I don't know what to do!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8748 on: June 13, 2022, 05:18:01 PM »
They're at it again!

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Tears Of The Dragon

lol that response just reminded me of...

Now it's clear and I know what I have to do
I must take you down there to look at them too

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8749 on: June 13, 2022, 05:42:42 PM »

lol that response just reminded me of...

Now it's clear and I know what I have to do
I must take you down there to look at them too

You’re in the right track. The quote is from Still Life, just a fair bit earlier in the song.
Hours I spend out just gazing into that pool
Something draws me there, I don’t know what to do.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.