Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573356 times)

Offline bobzor

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8680 on: June 06, 2022, 12:42:43 AM »
Saw them live here in Finland on Saturday. A few remarks:

- Senjutsu tracks work great live!
- Bruce was absolutely on fire, hitting those high notes without any problems. Tight performance by the whole band.
- In some tracks, it is somewhat noticeable that the tempo has dropped a bit, but in my opinion it just gives the songs a bit more groove and doesn't ruin them at all. Hats of to the 70-year old Nicko for doing a fucking world tour, playing 2-hour shows every other night at that age. We sang happy birthday to him, by the way. And he apparently got a nice snare drum cake made by some local bakery.
- The set list could have been a bit better with more changes, I think continuing with the Legacy brand was a mistake, as opposed to going full on Senjutsu tour. But perhaps they'll do that next year?

Up the irons!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #8681 on: June 06, 2022, 06:05:23 AM »
I'm glad the never booted Janick. I think one the underrated things about Reunion Era Iron Maiden is the off stage chemistry, and I really think Janick is a glue guy for the band.

A lot of those sharp, monster riffs are actually Janick's, even in the songs he'd not getting a credit for. His soloing is incredible, perfectly off-setting Dave and H. He's never tried to copy them, he's always tried to bring his own thing. There's a lot of hate for Jan in the IM community, but people really don't see what he brings to this band.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8682 on: June 06, 2022, 06:44:34 AM »
Empire of the Clouds Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is very good and there are truly fantastic moments in it, although I feel there was excessive hype around it, due to "OMG, it's the longest Maiden song evah!"

:lol

I was waiting for it  :rollin

I think TAC is sleep deprived.  Rime is as good as the hype.  Empire is interesting, and I'd love to hear more along those lines, but IMO not one of their more standout tracks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8683 on: June 06, 2022, 06:53:10 AM »
Went through Maiden England and No Prayer for the Dying the last two days.

What struck me this time is how much two of the better songs, the title track and Mother Russia, have in common with two of the best songs on Seventh Son, Infinite Dreams and the title track. Maiden, of course, are no strangers to repeating ideas, and it never really detracts from my enjoyment of a song as such, but compared to a lot of their repetitions, it doesn't feel like there's a lot that's new and interesting here. In fact, NPftD and MR sort of just feel like lesser versions of ID and SSoaSS. So there's a strange dynamic on this album where a lot of the songs feel very self-consciously stripped back and rougher, and then a couple of songs just feel like pale imitations of what they did on the previous album.

First off, I have criminally underlistened to Maiden England. That needs to change.

Regarding the two songs you mentioned, I have never made any connection to the previous songs you also mentioned. I thought the "Iron Maiden epic" jumped the shark when I heard Mother Russia. But listening to Mother Russia now, I can definitely see while you'd see that. I just never thought that song was up to snuff.

But I have considered Tailgunner to be a pale imitation of Aces High.

I love Tailgunner; I love how the guitars mimic diving planes.

I am frustrated with Mother Russia; it's got the place of album and the subject matter of an epic, but it's 5:30 long.  It's got great parts, but it never seems to go anywhere.  If there's any song in the Maiden catalogue where they didn't repeat things ENOUGH, it's that one.

I also really like Hooks In You; the lyrics are dumb and Bruce's raspy voice does it no favors, but that's a killer riff.

In listening to SSOASS and NPFTD, I'm amazed that I heard TWO things - one each album - that I totally did not remember:  the acoustic interlude at the end of The Prophecy, and the choral/chant part at the end of BYD...TTS.   And it's not like I haven't heard those songs a brazilian times before.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8684 on: June 06, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
Another Tailgunner fan here. Can’t see a thing wrong with it except it’s not as good as Aces High. Also really like Mother Russia, great solo section and Bruce sings without the rasp. My 2 favorites of that album by a long shot. 

Offline 425

« Reply #8685 on: June 06, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »
I think Tailgunner is fine musically, although not anything special in the context of Maiden's discography. I don't really like the lyrics. Compared to Aces High, which is heroic, Tailgunner feels at times like it's going out of its way to be crude: "Nail that Fokker, kill that son / Gonna blow your guts out with my gun."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8686 on: June 06, 2022, 12:23:26 PM »
I think Tailgunner is fine musically, although not anything special in the context of Maiden's discography. I don't really like the lyrics. Compared to Aces High, which is heroic, Tailgunner feels at times like it's going out of its way to be crude: "Nail that Fokker, kill that son / Gonna blow your guts out with my gun."

That's a knock on the whole album.   "Holy Smoke" has a couple clever lyrics, but honestly I feel like rock stars taking shots at preachers is like shooting fish in a barrel. It's low-hanging fruit.  I think "Public Enema Number One" is silly, the "concrete" line in "Hooks In You" is, well, weird, and while it's tongue in cheek, BYD...TTS is also not typically Maiden.  Coupled with Bruce's singing style, it's got a whole different vibe.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8687 on: June 06, 2022, 12:29:01 PM »
Holy Smoke would've been a very fine B-side, which is what it feels like. But the only thing wrong with Public Enema Number One is the title. That's a cool song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8688 on: June 06, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »
Holy Smoke would've been a very fine B-side, which is what it feels like. But the only thing wrong with Public Enema Number One is the title. That's a cool song.

It's a brilliant song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8689 on: June 06, 2022, 03:57:58 PM »

It's a brilliant song.

It's the Sea Of Madness of the No Prayer album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8690 on: June 06, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »

It's a brilliant song.

It's the Sea Of Madness of the No Prayer album.

I can get on board with that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8691 on: June 06, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »

I love this picture. Has a real Lynyrd Skynyrd style to it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8692 on: June 06, 2022, 09:51:19 PM »
That's the pic on the Essentials CD set that was my first real serious introduction to the band's material.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #8693 on: June 06, 2022, 11:41:10 PM »
I'm crazy about Tailgunner and slightly resent them for softly alluding to the track with the "Shoot that Fokker" t-shirt design in this tour's merch. Got my hopes up there for a bit.

==========

What do you guys think about the will-they-or-won't-they of them playing Alexander the Great before calling it quits? I'm of two minds about it:

1) Something tells me they'd leave the first lead guitar part in the intro (at the 1min6s mark) to Janick and it'd sound beautiful with him playing. It'd be amazing overall to hear them do it, absolutely. But...

2) I think Bruce is really not that crazy about the lyrics. I've seen people describe it as too... history book-y, and while that doesn't detract from the experience for me, I'd bet it's one of the reasons why he might not be that emotionally attached to it at this point.

Plus, if they were having a hard time with Paschendale on the first leg of the Final Frontier tour, I can imagine they could fumble the instrumental break at the 3min53s mark. Though the burden on that part lies mostly with Adrian and he seems to be well-rehearsed most of the time.

Still think it'd be a hoot if they decided to include it in the set JUST for Athens next month.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8694 on: June 06, 2022, 11:56:20 PM »
I do not see them breaking the “if we didn’t play it on the original tour, it’s never being played” rule.

It’s a dumb rule, but Steve still runs the show and I don’t think he’ll ever break from that rule.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8695 on: June 07, 2022, 12:09:17 AM »
Sorry, I don't see them ever playing Alexander The Great.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8696 on: June 07, 2022, 05:30:20 AM »
There is zero chance ATG will ever be played live.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8697 on: June 07, 2022, 05:48:41 AM »
I seem to remember they did rehearse it but it didn't feel good so they cut it or maybe that was another song?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8698 on: June 07, 2022, 06:50:19 AM »

I love this picture. Has a real Lynyrd Skynyrd style to it.

The Allman's at the Fillmore East in '69:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8699 on: June 07, 2022, 07:25:54 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking more Allman Brothers than Skynyrd  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8700 on: June 07, 2022, 08:12:31 AM »
Ok maybe that’s it then. Allman’s. You all know what I mean though.  ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8701 on: June 07, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8702 on: June 07, 2022, 09:07:23 AM »
I heard they were nuts.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8703 on: June 07, 2022, 10:34:10 AM »
Been listening to B-sides a lot. There are some tunes that I'm surprised never made it to actual albums. King of Twilight is one of the better Maiden tunes and was released as the flip side for Aces High.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #8704 on: June 07, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »
King of Twilight is a Nektar cover though. The album that it was on (A Tab In the Ocean) is a prog rock gem.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8705 on: June 07, 2022, 01:29:36 PM »
King of Twilight is a Nektar cover though. The album that it was on (A Tab In the Ocean) is a prog rock gem.

Most of the b-sides are covers, even if they are obscure.  I think Burning Ambition and Total Eclipse are the only (serious) b-side songs written by the band.

Offline 425

« Reply #8706 on: June 07, 2022, 02:33:28 PM »
There are also the X Factor ones: Judgment Day, Justice of the Peace and I Live My Way. Also worth mentioning Virus, which was an A-side, but was not on an album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8707 on: June 07, 2022, 03:01:23 PM »
There are also the X Factor ones: Judgment Day, Justice of the Peace and I Live My Way. Also worth mentioning Virus, which was an A-side, but was not on an album.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Blaze b-sides are the best IM b-sides.  I actually don't think I like ANY of the cover song bsides that are included on the best of the bsides CDs from Eddies Archive.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8708 on: June 07, 2022, 03:05:38 PM »
Wow! I've Got The Fire? Rainbow's Gold?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8709 on: June 07, 2022, 03:08:50 PM »
Wow! I've Got The Fire? Rainbow's Gold?

I forgot about I've Got The Fire.  I like that one alot but that was a Dianno one initially so I forgot about it (although the Bruce version is also really good).  Don't care for Rainbow's Gold.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8710 on: June 07, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »

I meant their version, sorry. I also love cross eyed Mary. They make these songs their own to me. I like Invasion too! Dianno kicks ass on it!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8711 on: June 07, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »
I never cared for Cross Eyed Mary.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8712 on: June 07, 2022, 05:34:53 PM »
I never cared for Cross Eyed Mary.

Bruce sounds excellent on it!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8713 on: June 07, 2022, 05:48:45 PM »
Rainbow's Gold and King of Twilight are both 2 of their best, even though they are covers.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8714 on: June 08, 2022, 12:10:12 AM »
Meta(l) observation:

I love that the are two threads about Maiden here and every day I can drop in and find a new post on both. Brilliant!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.