Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573246 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8645 on: June 03, 2022, 08:00:31 PM »
And I’ll even concede that the album does end a bit like Return of the King (“Wait…is it over? Oh good there’s more. Oh but now I’m sure it’s over…oh wait there’s still more. Ok but THAT was a great ending…oh wait there’s more??? etc etc) But I love Return of the King as well, so I think it works.

:lol

Sorry, I had to quote this...it had me laugh pretty hard. That's SO true. You pretty much had people at the theater getting up once or twice thinking the end credits were about to roll  :rollin

(Love the movie too, btw)
Then there's the Director's Ultra Extended Cut. I think that clocked in at almost 4 1/2 hours.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8646 on: June 03, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »
Only just noticed today for the first time…

Does Nicko say “God I missed him!” at the end of TTLBLAH? I thought that was quite touching.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8647 on: June 03, 2022, 08:19:42 PM »
Yeah, he says something like that. I think there's an F-bomb in there. Such a great song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8648 on: June 03, 2022, 08:33:27 PM »

Does Nicko say “God I missed him!” at the end of TTLBLAH? I thought that was quite touching.

He says I think 'Oh, I fucking missed it.' 

I think the story is he thought near the end of the song he missed a drum part, but the laughter I think from Steve and Bruce afterwards was that he didn't miss what he thought he missed at all.  I'd have to look it up but something along those lines.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8649 on: June 03, 2022, 08:36:14 PM »

He says I think 'Oh, I fucking missed it.' 

I think the story is he thought near the end of the song he missed a drum part, but the laughter I think from Steve and Bruce afterwards was that he didn't miss what he thought he missed at all.  I'd have to look it up but something along those lines.

That would still be funny…but it was sweeter when I thought he was bromancing his returning singer.  :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8650 on: June 03, 2022, 08:38:16 PM »
You can still think that if it makes you feel all warm. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8651 on: June 04, 2022, 02:49:43 AM »
You can actually hear Nicko continuing to play the drums once the guitars stop. He missed the part where he was supposed to stop. I guess they left it in because of his comment afterwards.  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #8652 on: June 04, 2022, 03:32:03 PM »
Went through Maiden England and No Prayer for the Dying the last two days. Maiden England is a release I haven't paid enough attention to. It's a really good performance, really good setlist (with little that is duplicative of Live After Death—just four songs) and has a very enthusiastic crowd. I enjoyed it a lot.

No Prayer for the Dying remains an album that I mostly enjoy on its own terms, but definitely think of as one of their weakest albums and a huge step backward from Seventh Son. What struck me this time is how much two of the better songs, the title track and Mother Russia, have in common with two of the best songs on Seventh Son, Infinite Dreams and the title track. Maiden, of course, are no strangers to repeating ideas, and it never really detracts from my enjoyment of a song as such, but compared to a lot of their repetitions, it doesn't feel like there's a lot that's new and interesting here. In fact, NPftD and MR sort of just feel like lesser versions of ID and SSoaSS. So there's a strange dynamic on this album where a lot of the songs feel very self-consciously stripped back and rougher, and then a couple of songs just feel like pale imitations of what they did on the previous album.

Of course, NPftD also has a few of their weakest songs. Besides the one about female offspring and the one about devices used to suspend objects in midair, I think The Assassin is notably weak. The verses are pretty good, and I started out this time feeling like I might have misjudged it, but oh that chorus is a major miss.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8653 on: June 04, 2022, 04:38:00 PM »
But Run Silent Run Deep is the BEST Maiden song about submarines!  :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8654 on: June 04, 2022, 04:40:34 PM »
Run Silent Run Deep rules! Great song.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8655 on: June 04, 2022, 05:11:01 PM »

It is. And yet it's ranked 139th on my list :omg:

Ranking these tunes is almost impossible. It's an utterly fruitless task. Aside from the final three or four songs, eg Bayswater Blues, there are literally no bad songs no matter what some might have you believe (about the Blaze era), and despite my previous utterances regarding Dance of Death exhibiting a couple of turkeys. Maiden's output is incredibly consistent and really rather astonishing.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #8656 on: June 04, 2022, 05:17:09 PM »
Besides the one about female offspring

That song's actually one of my Iron Maiden guilty pleasures :) I'm a huge fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street films and Bruce's solo recording of the song is used in Part 5. Steve Harris apparently heard it and told Bruce that Maiden needed to re-record it for NPFTD. It's a song that is so gloriously silly it gets my seal of approval. Won't make my top 75 though, not a chance.

Offline 425

« Reply #8657 on: June 04, 2022, 05:20:36 PM »

This is easily my favorite song on that album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8658 on: June 04, 2022, 06:44:01 PM »

It does. Contains the only Maiden mosh part! Great solos in that song too.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8659 on: June 04, 2022, 06:45:49 PM »
There was an interview where Bruce said Run Silent Run Deep is the worst Maiden song in his opinion.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #8660 on: June 04, 2022, 06:49:12 PM »
There was an interview where Bruce said Run Silent Run Deep is the worst Maiden song in his opinion.

Apparently Bruce is not a fan of the Somewhere In Time album (per that album's Wiki page), which is by some distance my favourite album of theirs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8661 on: June 04, 2022, 06:52:12 PM »
Went through Maiden England and No Prayer for the Dying the last two days.

What struck me this time is how much two of the better songs, the title track and Mother Russia, have in common with two of the best songs on Seventh Son, Infinite Dreams and the title track. Maiden, of course, are no strangers to repeating ideas, and it never really detracts from my enjoyment of a song as such, but compared to a lot of their repetitions, it doesn't feel like there's a lot that's new and interesting here. In fact, NPftD and MR sort of just feel like lesser versions of ID and SSoaSS. So there's a strange dynamic on this album where a lot of the songs feel very self-consciously stripped back and rougher, and then a couple of songs just feel like pale imitations of what they did on the previous album.

First off, I have criminally underlistened to Maiden England. That needs to change.

Regarding the two songs you mentioned, I have never made any connection to the previous songs you also mentioned. I thought the "Iron Maiden epic" jumped the shark when I heard Mother Russia. But listening to Mother Russia now, I can definitely see while you'd see that. I just never thought that song was up to snuff.

But I have considered Tailgunner to be a pale imitation of Aces High.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8662 on: June 04, 2022, 06:53:17 PM »

Apparently Bruce is not a fan of the Somewhere In Time album (per that album's Wiki page), which is by some distance my favourite album of theirs.

Well, they didn't use any of Bruce's ideas for it. He had in his mind a different direction for that album.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #8663 on: June 04, 2022, 07:04:23 PM »

Well, they didn't use any of Bruce's ideas for it. He had in his mind a different direction for that album.

Interesting, I didn't know that. What were his ideas for it?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8664 on: June 04, 2022, 07:14:20 PM »

Everyone went in different directions when they took time off after the World Slavery Tour, When they reconvened, Bruce said "hey, why don't we go on a complete opposite direction and do an acoustic album?". He presented some songs, but Rod and Steve were like "WTF, man?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8665 on: June 04, 2022, 07:18:28 PM »
Well, I believe he came in with a lot of acoustic stuff, and Steve clearly wasn't going in that direction.  I don't think Bruce even has a writing credit on it.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8666 on: June 04, 2022, 07:21:55 PM »

This is easily my favorite song on that album.

Yes, same here. That may be the one thing we agree on when we get into the countdown  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8667 on: June 04, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »
Well, I believe he came in with a lot of acoustic stuff, and Steve clearly wasn't going in that direction.  I don't think Bruce even has a writing credit on it.

This is correct. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8668 on: June 04, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »
Pretty sure one of his ideas would become the beginning of Moonchild.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8669 on: June 04, 2022, 07:45:46 PM »
Pretty sure one of his ideas would become the beginning of Moonchild.

Sounds plausible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8670 on: June 04, 2022, 07:52:57 PM »
Just to go back to No Prayer... I agree, it's likely their worst album. I get it. You simply can't make your fans wait that long, and in those days 2 1/2 years between releases was a long time) and come back with this album.
And you can't even blame Janick. he was brought in the night before they started recording.

But I do want to say that I enjoyed that tour as much as any previous one. Still one of my favorites. I loved the stage with the wall of Marshalls. And the energy Janick brought was incredible. He brought so much out of Dave. And I love the way that setlist was built.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8671 on: June 04, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »
My thoughts at the time on the No Prayer album stem from the fact I was devastated when Adrian left. He was my favourite member of Iron Maiden (at that time, probably still is) and I just had no love for Janick at all and the No Prayer album didn't help this. I don't blame Janick for anything to do with the album specifically but it did take me a long time to warm to him being part of Maiden. So much so that when I heard about Bruce and Adrian coming back, I actually hoped that meant Janick was out - so I was still upset he stayed in the band! This seems really weird to say now when I know he has made such an awesome contribution to the reunion era.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8672 on: June 04, 2022, 08:10:06 PM »
My thoughts at the time on the No Prayer album stem from the fact I was devastated when Adrian left. He was my favourite member of Iron Maiden (at that time, probably still is) and I just had no love for Janick at all and the No Prayer album didn't help this. I don't blame Janick for anything to do with the album specifically but it did take me a long time to warm to him being part of Maiden. So much so that when I heard about Bruce and Adrian coming back, I actually hoped that meant Janick was out - so I was still upset he stayed in the band! This seems really weird to say now when I know he has made such an awesome contribution to the reunion era.

I agree with the bolded. I literally know exactly where I was when I read the news in the CMJ Journal, but the blurb also stated that Janick was joining the band, which I was so happy about. Janick was Bruce's guitarist on TM, and I saw him on that tour. I thought that they were at least keeping it in the family.

I'm glad the never booted Janick. I think one the underrated things about Reunion Era Iron Maiden is the off stage chemistry, and I really think Janick is a glue guy for the band.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #8673 on: June 04, 2022, 09:31:58 PM »

Word is that he wanted to do more acoustic stuff (his reference was Led Zeppelin 3 IIRC). I wonder if he presented them something like Son of a Gun and the fact that it starts out acoustic ticked them off (even though it gets heavy and electric pretty soon).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8674 on: June 05, 2022, 01:23:20 AM »

No way. I absolutely love it.

Still, tastes. Bruce also put out Tattooed Millionaire that year, and I always thought that was poop.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8675 on: June 05, 2022, 02:41:09 AM »

I agree with the bolded. I literally know exactly where I was when I read the news in the CMJ Journal, but the blurb also stated that Janick was joining the band, which I was so happy about. Janick was Bruce's guitarist on TM, and I saw him on that tour. I thought that they were at least keeping it in the family.

I'm glad the never booted Janick. I think one the underrated things about Reunion Era Iron Maiden is the off stage chemistry, and I really think Janick is a glue guy for the band.
The split happened before I was aware of Maiden however the reunion I remember vividly to this day. I was at a computer in our library at school browsing a news site when I saw the headline that Bruce AND Adrian had reunited with Maiden along with Jannick staying. I printed out the news article and saved it for months. Such an awesome comeback!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8676 on: June 05, 2022, 08:54:34 AM »
Happy 70th :omg: birthday, Nicko!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8677 on: June 05, 2022, 07:31:17 PM »

Wow, and still destroying shit.  :metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #8678 on: June 05, 2022, 07:33:03 PM »

Wow, and still destroying shit.  :metal

:metal Indeed

He's pretty amazing, that way...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8679 on: June 05, 2022, 09:31:32 PM »
Hard to believe Nicko is 70.