Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572641 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8505 on: May 29, 2022, 03:12:11 AM »
I am working to give Fear of the Dark a fresh listen to see if maybe there is a bit more than I thought at first, but while Be Quick or Be Dead is good musically, why does Bruce spend the whole song trying to sound like Angus Young? I can't get past how annoying the vocals are in that one.

It's a mess of an album, imo, and Bruce's approach was only one of a handful of issues with it.  :lol

Judas Be My Guide is classic Maiden, though.

The very definition of a Hidden Gem, this song doesn't get mentioned anywhere near enough \m/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8506 on: May 29, 2022, 03:20:13 AM »
I am working to give Fear of the Dark a fresh listen to see if maybe there is a bit more than I thought at first, but while Be Quick or Be Dead is good musically, why does Bruce spend the whole song trying to sound like Angus Young? I can't get past how annoying the vocals are in that one.

It's a mess of an album, imo, and Bruce's approach was only one of a handful of issues with it.  :lol

Judas Be My Guide is classic Maiden, though.

110%.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8507 on: May 29, 2022, 06:21:53 AM »
You guys probably will be surprised at how high up my list Judas Be My Guide will be when we do the Top 75 countdown :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8508 on: May 29, 2022, 06:23:13 AM »
You guys probably will be surprised at how high up my list Judas Be My Guide will be when we do the Top 75 countdown :P

Good chance not as high as on my list  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8509 on: May 29, 2022, 12:42:55 PM »
The boys are back!!

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son  :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPOJgDZA0o
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8510 on: May 29, 2022, 01:44:15 PM »
Imagine having the luxury of having 07th Son in your back catalogue and deciding NOT to play it on every show. I mean, this would be many band's best song of their entire career!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8511 on: May 29, 2022, 03:16:14 PM »

Good chance not as high as on my list  ;D

You both may have some competition.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8512 on: May 29, 2022, 03:19:45 PM »
The boys are back!!

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son  :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPOJgDZA0o

Why am I watching this?

His 'ooohhhs'  are wrong and fucking terrible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8513 on: May 29, 2022, 03:23:28 PM »
Learn the solos properly for fucks sake before you play them live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8514 on: May 29, 2022, 07:39:41 PM »
Imagine having the luxury of having 07th Son in your back catalogue and deciding NOT to play it on every show. I mean, this would be many band's best song of their entire career!

That is not even a top 3 song from that album.  And that is not sarcasm.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8515 on: May 29, 2022, 07:41:01 PM »

That is not even a top 3 song from that album.  And that is not sarcasm.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

How can it be when it's the second best song of the classic era?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8516 on: May 29, 2022, 07:44:50 PM »

How can it be when it's the second best song of the classic era?

That feels like what Doc Brown would call a paradox.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8517 on: May 29, 2022, 07:47:22 PM »

Every post of yours is sarcasm.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8518 on: May 29, 2022, 07:54:12 PM »

Every post of yours is sarcasm.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8519 on: May 29, 2022, 07:54:45 PM »
What show is that from?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8520 on: May 29, 2022, 07:58:23 PM »
Family Ties.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8521 on: May 29, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »
Oh cool. I love Arnold Drummond.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8522 on: May 29, 2022, 08:06:37 PM »
Jokes aside, the top 75 is getting me to listen to some of the stuff I hadn't listened to as much since last fall, so that is good. 

Deja Vu was kind of an afterthought for me at first on an otherwise stellar Somewhere in Time, but I am starting to really dig that one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8523 on: May 29, 2022, 08:09:48 PM »
What show is that from?

It's not important to you Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8525 on: May 29, 2022, 08:24:02 PM »
Boy who cried wolf.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8526 on: May 29, 2022, 09:02:21 PM »
Boy who cried wolf.  Lol

My ears were burning.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8527 on: May 30, 2022, 05:40:11 AM »
Jokes aside, the top 75 is getting me to listen to some of the stuff I hadn't listened to as much since last fall, so that is good. 

Deja Vu was kind of an afterthought for me at first on an otherwise stellar Somewhere in Time, but I am starting to really dig that one.

Yes, there’s no weak moment on SiT (my fave).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8528 on: May 30, 2022, 09:15:10 AM »

Yes, there’s no weak moment on SiT (my fave).

I think what really helps Somewhere in Time is the production.  It has a bit more air than their other albums, like you are listening to it in the middle of a giant room where that bit of echo and reverb give it a bigger feel, to where it has an almost atmospheric vibe, yet it still rocks its balls off.  That is something I have really noticed with that record.

Online nick_z

« Reply #8529 on: May 30, 2022, 02:17:57 PM »
Revisiting some of the reunion albums as additional homework for the ranking (very pleasant homework, may I add)...

Given the discussion a few posts earlier - my two cents on Final Frontier. As I said, I like this album so much more now than I did when it was released. However, it looks like my appreciation of it might be a little different than what I'm reading here. Not a big fan of the opening numbers - neither Satellite 15...The Final Frontier (appreciated the attempt of doing something cool and different with the intro, though) nor El Dorado do a whole lot for me. But then things start getting real interesting. In particular, the run from Coming Home to The Talisman is really, really good. I'll have more to say about the individual songs when the countdown begins in the other thread (assuming they will make it to the aggregate top 75, of course), but there's so much interesting stuff going on in there. The solo section in Isle of Avalon, for example, is SO cool (and different!).

BUT - I can't say I'm in love with The Man Who Would Be King and When the Wind Blows. They have are not bad, for sure, and there are great moments in them, but as overall songs...I don't know, I've never fully connected. So, overall, the album doesn't end on a super-high note for me. I enjoy it very much as a whole, though. It's "colorful" and a bit different.

Offline 425

« Reply #8530 on: May 30, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »
I've just gotten to Somewhere in Time in my discography run. I still really like this album. It represents a big step toward more ambitious, progressive songwriting, with songs like Caught Somewhere in Time, Stranger in a Strange Land and Alexander the Great.

I think this is also the album where, and no offense to Dave, it becomes really clear that Adrian Smith is something special as a guitarist and songwriter. I'd posit that this is the most Adrian-heavy album, and still his best full album worth of work. Stranger in a Strange Land has my favorite-ever Maiden guitar solo, but it's only one of several great ones by H on this record (see: Caught Somewhere in Time, Alexander the Great multiple times). He also has, count them, THREE solo songwriting credits here, which are all excellent songs: Wasted Years, Sea of Madness and Stranger in a Strange Land.

Going back a couple of albums, since I made posts about the first three, but not any of the albums since: I really think there's a bigger step forward from TNotB to Piece of Mind than a lot of people do. First, I know Clive Burr has his fans, and I think he's a good drummer, but to me it just sounds right having Nicko behind the kit. Then, I think the songwriting leveled up quite a bit between those two albums. The whole of side A is just excellent, and I really think the only weak song overall is Quest for Fire.

I also think the lyrics are a step up here. This is the album where they fully enter the now-familiar territory of writing mainly about history and literature, as opposed to a mixture that includes a lot of crime/horror/sex lyrics. With the obvious exception of the dinosaurs walking the earth, I think the lyrics here are better suited to the music and more to my liking.

Powerslave... I remain convinced is a step down. Coming back to this album after years of not hearing it, Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade and The Duelists still just don't do it for me. I think we're past the point where those would be likely to grow on me. The other five songs are really good, and there is still a sense of progression on this album. I just think it's far less consistent than its predecessor.

I'm also kind of over 2 Minutes to Midnight. I still think it's a good song, and I like the instrumental section a lot, but the verses and chorus are just decent. Probably doesn't help that it uses that one riff that every metal band used around this time, either.

Live After Death is an album that I've probably overplayed at this point, but I still think it's one of the best live albums ever made. There was a fantastic energy on that tour, a lot of the songs have more life than they do on the album, and it includes so many of their best songs (especially if you include the extra tracks from Hammersmith).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8531 on: May 30, 2022, 04:14:09 PM »
Powerslave... I remain convinced is a step down.

I felt the same way when it was released.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8532 on: May 31, 2022, 06:44:40 AM »
So a lot to catch up on...

I don't know how you can mention "Fear Of The Dark" - the album - and not mention "From Here To Eternity".  I LOVE that song and I can see it making my list.

I relistened to SiT twice this weekend and I forgot how good it was, and I really recognized how GREAT the guitar playing is on that record.  I always dismissed "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner" (when I transferred the album to cassette, it got cut and so I've heard that far less than the rest of the album) but while I still think the verses suck and the lyrics are dumb, the guitars in that song are out of this WORLD.  (Though, quick question: did they use that intro melody somewhere else? It sounds so... familiar).

I think there are big differences between AMOLAD and TFF.  I thought AMOLAD was really dense, dark and heavy when I first heard it, and as good as it is (it's grown on me) it's still a hard album to listen to all the way through.   TFF seemed... lighter and more melodic.  I remember hearing it for the first time and being BLOWN AWAY.  I was living in Philly at the time and used to sit on my stoop and drink wine after dinner.  A dude walked by with a Maiden shirt and we got to talking.  Long story short I told him "there'll be a present when you come back" and I ripped a copy of the record, because I wanted people to hear it.  I still think it's one of the better reunion albums.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8533 on: May 31, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
Yes, TFF is still my favorite reunion album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8534 on: May 31, 2022, 08:49:07 AM »
I will probably enter my list extremely late. But I entered all the reunion albums and FOTD into my music player so that I could spend the next couple of weeks just getting really familiar with them.

Of all the Bruce albums, FOTD is probably the one I’m the least familiar with. And as previously mentioned, I don’t even own NPFTD… but sometime in the next couple of weeks I will find it online and give it a spin. Maybe I will even pick it up at the local cd shop just because I am a completist.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #8535 on: May 31, 2022, 03:00:26 PM »
I relistened to SiT twice this weekend and I forgot how good it was, and I really recognized how GREAT the guitar playing is on that record.  I always dismissed "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner" (when I transferred the album to cassette, it got cut and so I've heard that far less than the rest of the album) but while I still think the verses suck and the lyrics are dumb, the guitars in that song are out of this WORLD.  (Though, quick question: did they use that intro melody somewhere else? It sounds so... familiar).

I think there are big differences between AMOLAD and TFF.  I thought AMOLAD was really dense, dark and heavy when I first heard it, and as good as it is (it's grown on me) it's still a hard album to listen to all the way through.   TFF seemed... lighter and more melodic.

I agree with both of these points. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is one of my least favorite songs on the album because I don't care much for the vocal melodies, but the guitars are extremely good. And TFF is amazing.

I ended up also going through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son last night, and I definitely stand by my opinion that this album feels like the culmination of everything they were moving toward over the previous six albums. While I really disagree with the choice to strip their sound way back on the next album, I can understand why Steve might have felt at the time that there was nowhere for them to go beyond Seventh Son. It just feels like a pinnacle. And Only the Good Die Young even feels, knowing the context, like the end of more than the concept.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8536 on: May 31, 2022, 05:15:29 PM »
I think it is entirely possible that I may over overrating The Loneliness... right now simply because of how great that intro is. 

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8537 on: May 31, 2022, 05:16:51 PM »
I think it is entirely possible that I may over overrating The Loneliness... right now simply because of how great that intro is.

Yeah that intro is absolutely fabulous.

Online nick_z

« Reply #8538 on: May 31, 2022, 05:26:26 PM »
I absolutely LOVE The Loneliness...I wasn't surprised how high it is in my (almost final) ranking

But, yes, the whole Somewhere in Time album is fantastic.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8539 on: May 31, 2022, 05:29:28 PM »
Of course SIT is fantastic. It’s the second greatest album of all time after Images and Words. :)