Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573330 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8365 on: May 18, 2022, 03:42:55 PM »
I skipped through it.  His scream was pretty decent.  The guitarists were shit in the solos but their tones were really nice.  The drummer was solid.

The guitar player on the right annoyed me more than the singer; every time there was any sort of unison passage, he would look over with this ridiculous "WE DID IT!" look on his face. 

There's a local band my friend plays in once in a while and the singer has one of those big elementary school music stands in front of him with all the words and I mock him unmercifully.   At least this guy is using a phone sort of on the down low.   And yes, without the phone, I imagine it sounds exactly the same!  :) :) :)

:lol  They are not very good at playing guitar so if they did it, it's quite an accomplishment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8366 on: May 18, 2022, 04:51:09 PM »
And Brand New!!

Where Eagles Dare  :metal :metal :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIEtHR9NtE

And that's pretty much what my intro to it sounds like too. :lol

There's a shot of the bass player early in the video where he rolls his eyes and smiles, as if to say, "I can't believe these are the best guitarists in the area."

Wah bagus kak!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #8367 on: May 18, 2022, 05:03:39 PM »
I like how the drummer plays the beginning of the intro correctly, then just kind of slams around on his kit.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8368 on: May 18, 2022, 10:50:31 PM »
You're all being so mean :lol I kind of like watching them :biggrin:

Although I do indeed need to know the answers to pg1067's questions!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:14:36 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8369 on: May 19, 2022, 12:07:43 AM »
Just watched the Where Eagles Dare clip. Can't believe I got through it but anyway....I think my biggest question is why does the 'singer' need to look at the lyrics on his phone when he doesn't sing them anyway?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8370 on: May 19, 2022, 07:17:58 AM »
I like how the drummer plays the beginning of the intro correctly, then just kind of slams around on his kit.

I'm going to gently suggest that you're only correct if by "the beginning of the intro" you mean the very first drum hit.  That was HORRIBLE.

As for the singer, he's not even giving the right number of syllables; it's one thing if you have the rhythm and flub the actual phonetics, but he's just apparently making shit up as he goes.

And if anyone needed a time stamp for that look by the guitar player, it's at 1:42.  He just finished that chord break and you can see his face: "Fuckin' NAILED IT!"   :) :) :) :)

Having said all that, any link provided for these guys and I'm going to watch. That is priceless entertainment, in my book.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8371 on: May 19, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
I'm confused why this is getting so much attention so I clicked... and turned it right off and back to being confused.   :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8372 on: May 19, 2022, 10:03:56 AM »
You're all being so mean :lol I kind of like watching them :biggrin:

I'm confused why this is getting so much attention so I clicked... and turned it right off and back to being confused.   :lol

I had a hard time not watching.  It's the same reason why traffic slows to look at the remains of a car accident where everyone has pulled off the road.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8373 on: May 19, 2022, 10:37:28 AM »
That kid is doing better than both Jon Bon Jovi and David Coverdale.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #8374 on: May 19, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »

Yes this, even more puzzling when I post links to a very talented IM YouTuber, who gets no replies in this thread :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8375 on: May 19, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »
That kid is doing better than both Jon Bon Jovi and David Coverdale.

Bon Jovi is so bad right now.  He wasn't perfect like 4 years ago when I last saw him, but the clips I saw recently are atrocious.  At least Coverdale knows he can't do it and lets the band take over.  (although I haven't seen any clips from their current tour to see if he's even worse now like Bon Jovi).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8376 on: May 19, 2022, 12:55:28 PM »

Yes this, even more puzzling when I post links to a very talented IM YouTuber, who gets no replies in this thread :rollin

I find folks who do note-for-note play-along videos to be monumentally uninteresting.  If I want to see/hear someone play along with The Trooper note-for-note, I'll watch or listen to the real thing.  These Indonesian guys are (unintentionally) funny (comically bad?) and have a bit of charm and character to them.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #8377 on: May 19, 2022, 01:46:16 PM »

I find folks who do note-for-note play-along videos to be monumentally uninteresting.  If I want to see/hear someone play along with The Trooper note-for-note, I'll watch or listen to the real thing.  These Indonesian guys are (unintentionally) funny (comically bad?) and have a bit of charm and character to them.

As a guitar player who is interested in seeing how to play the songs, getting the breakdown of the parts, these video's are fantastic.
While a band of hacks butchering a Maiden song, is 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8378 on: May 19, 2022, 02:40:58 PM »

Well, and I'm being fairly serious here, I don't think we're interested in this for the same reasons.  We can all mock that whether we like Maiden or not; it's a higher bar as to whether everyone will like your friend, regardless of whether he is or is not really great.  Does that make sense?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8379 on: May 19, 2022, 02:45:34 PM »
I think there's a place for note for note videos, but I kind of doze off with some of those.

Sorry Gaz, but I may have missed the links you posted..

These Indonesian guys are (unintentionally) funny (comically bad?) and have a bit of charm and character to them.

This.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8380 on: May 19, 2022, 03:17:23 PM »

As a guitar player who is interested in seeing how to play the songs, getting the breakdown of the parts, these video's are fantastic.
While a band of hacks butchering a Maiden song, is 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

I'm a bass player, and I have, on occasion, watched bass play-throughs to help me figure out songs (especially with stuff that has the bass buried in the mix).  They're fine for that purpose, but there are already 493 videos of people playing [fill in song name], and I have no interest in sitting around watching them just for funsies.  Even when there's some hook -- "guy with no arms plays flawless cover of Enter Sandman on the subcontrabass flute" -- I'm going to be hard pressed to be interested.

Offline 425

« Reply #8381 on: May 19, 2022, 03:18:54 PM »

Well, and I'm being fairly serious here, I don't think we're interested in this for the same reasons.  We can all mock that whether we like Maiden or not; it's a higher bar as to whether everyone will like your friend, regardless of whether he is or is not really great.  Does that make sense?

I think the "your friend" here is relevant to the motivations people can have, even if it's not directly relevant to this case. As someone who is not a musician, I'm only interested in seeing videos of someone else's covers of a band I know if I have some special reason to care. Usually, that's going to be that they did something interesting and different somehow (for example, I found the video TAC posted recently of the drummer who played essentially a long medley of every Maiden song interesting because that was different). If it's not materially different from the original version, the main reason I can think I would be interested is if it was a friend of mine who played it. But that's going to be interesting to me because I'm interested in that person. Otherwise, yeah, I'd rather see/hear Iron Maiden do it if it's basically the same thing.

This is also definitely not new to this forum. I bet there are a number of people who do good note-for-note Dream Theater vocal covers sounding a lot like JLB, but who is this forum's favorite singer of DT covers? Nicky Spanjaards.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8382 on: May 19, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »
Yeah, you probably have to play guitar or bass to really appreciate note for note covers.  That's not an insult but I get what you guys are saying in regards to that too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8383 on: May 19, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »
Unless of course that it's Wolfking playing Tipton.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8384 on: May 19, 2022, 07:42:30 PM »
Unless of course that it's Wolfking playing Tipton.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #8385 on: May 20, 2022, 02:46:42 AM »

I'm a bass player, and I have, on occasion, watched bass play-throughs to help me figure out songs (especially with stuff that has the bass buried in the mix).  They're fine for that purpose, but there are already 493 videos of people playing [fill in song name], and I have no interest in sitting around watching them just for funsies.  Even when there's some hook -- "guy with no arms plays flawless cover of Enter Sandman on the subcontrabass flute" -- I'm going to be hard pressed to be interested.

I'm only interested in the one guy 'Licks Of The Beast' and I am not interested in what he plays, I am into how he plays it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #8386 on: May 20, 2022, 02:51:39 AM »
Hey, remember the good old days when if you were really great at playing an instrument, you used to go out, form a band and play to audiences? Now you just stay in your bedroom and post videos to the hinterwebs. Some of these guys are great musicians, but they're just clones, they're not innovating and developing their own style.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8387 on: May 20, 2022, 06:09:21 AM »
Hey, remember the good old days when if you were really great at playing an instrument, you used to go out, form a band and play to audiences? Now you just stay in your bedroom and post videos to the hinterwebs. Some of these guys are great musicians, but they're just clones, they're not innovating and developing their own style.

This.

YouTube is really good for how-to play videos, IMO. Was great when I was playing in a covers band. I tried to learn songs I was interested in by ear and put my own twist on arrangements etc but if I was under time pressure or lazy I went to the the how-to-play vids. SO much quicker than the old tab books I had back in the mid-80s!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8388 on: May 20, 2022, 07:34:08 AM »
I NEVER watch these videos without a purpose:  to learn a song, to see Wolfking or Coz kill it (meaning, to watch a friend play something), or in a thread like this to see what people are talking about.   I am otherwise not really interested in some band from Corning, New York or Salinas, Puerto Rico who can play 2 Minutes To Midnight relatively flawlessly.  I'd rather go to my local bar and watch one of the regional cover bands.  At least they are playing live without a net.

And in fact, I'm going to a local place tonight to watch a regional Judas Priest cover band.  I would NEVER watch them on YouTube.  I would rather listen to the real thing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8389 on: May 20, 2022, 08:10:46 AM »

I'm only interested in the one guy 'Licks Of The Beast' and I am not interested in what he plays, I am into how he plays it.

I'm with you...the Licks of the Beast guy is awesome!

Anyway...tour starts on Sunday in Croatia. Can't wait to see what they'll play!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #8390 on: May 20, 2022, 08:29:34 AM »
In case you are interested, the setlist is already at setlistfm.com (from the future?!). It's fake or someone heard the rehearsals and posted there. It's a very realistic one, so, let's see.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8391 on: May 20, 2022, 08:32:37 AM »
In case you are interested, the setlist is already at setlistfm.com (from the future?!). It's fake or someone heard the rehearsals and posted there. It's a very realistic one, so, let's see.

I think it's been removed. Do you have it? I heard it had Hell on Earth.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8392 on: May 20, 2022, 08:34:11 AM »

Yeah, I don't see it, but I would be 99% sure it's a guess and probably pretty easy to make a realistic guess. IM have shown time and time again to be a pretty sealed lipped group to let thinks leak out like that.  We will know soon enough though.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #8393 on: May 20, 2022, 10:38:09 AM »

I didn’t save it, but Hell on Earth wasn’t there, only the expected songs from Senjutsu.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8394 on: May 20, 2022, 03:24:01 PM »
I have a feeling we'll all be let down by the set.  Can see a generic run of the mill set to be honest.

Offline 425

« Reply #8395 on: May 20, 2022, 03:33:36 PM »
As someone who didn't see the first LotB run and finds that to be an incredible setlist, I'm hoping to see as much of it kept intact as possible while getting the three Senjutsu songs in.

Specifically, I'm hoping they keep at least one of Sign of the Cross and For the Greater Good of God, and at least one of Revelations and Where Eagles Dare.

I suspect at least one of the epics goes to get Senjutsu in; my choice would be Clansman, but I suspect it will be Greater Good. I suspect one of the mid-length songs goes to get Writing on the Wall in; my choice would be 2 Minutes, but since that seems to be immovable, I suspect it will be Eagles. I suspect one of the short songs goes to get Stratego in; I don't have a preferred choice (I mean, I guess The Trooper because I don't need to see that again, but that's not going to happen), but I suspect it will be The Wicker Man.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8396 on: May 20, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
I saw the leaked setlist and remember much of it. PM me if you want to know, as I don’t want to spoil it in case it’s accurate.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8397 on: May 20, 2022, 06:03:21 PM »

If you're on Reddit, there's a post in the Iron Maiden sub.  Spoilers ahead (or not since we don't know if it's real):

"Senjutsu Theme"
- Senjutsu
- Stratego
- The Writing on the Wall
- Hell on Earth

"War Theme"
- These Colours Don't Run
- The Trooper
- 2 Minutes to Midnight

"Heaven and Hell Theme"
- Revelations
- Sign of the Cross
- Flight of Icarus
- Fear of the Dark
- Iron Maiden

Encore
- Aces High
- Blood Brothers
- Sanctuary

Frankly, I have a hard time believing a set with none of Beast, Hallowed or Hills

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8398 on: May 20, 2022, 07:04:46 PM »
As the VH countdown will be finishing up here shortly, that means Iron Maiden is next, so if anyone wants to PM me the list of every one of their songs (in chronological order) that I can list in the eventual thread I will start, that'd be awesome.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8399 on: May 20, 2022, 07:08:28 PM »
I'll just PM you my list as it will be the definitive selection of songs! :neverusethis: