Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572821 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8190 on: April 19, 2022, 08:03:04 AM »
Why do you think Back In The Village is so unloved?  I think that opening riff is just SICK, and there isn't much like it in the catalogue, but no one seems to rate it like I do.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8191 on: April 19, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »
Why do you think Back In The Village is so unloved?  I think that opening riff is just SICK, and there isn't much like it in the catalogue, but no one seems to rate it like I do.

Oddly, when I got the album, Back In The Village was my favorite song at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8192 on: April 19, 2022, 08:06:59 AM »

I think the chorus sucks.  The good riffage can't save it IMO.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8193 on: April 19, 2022, 08:19:05 AM »

I love the whole song. Yes, the chorus is repetitive but Bruce sounds kinda maniacal on it.

I have never understood what people see in Powerslave. For a band that sounds so damn original on all of their albums, Powerslave is so formulaic.

Interesting. From my perspective, Aces High, Back In The Village, Powerslave and ROTAM stick out and sound different from anything else they'd done at that point. I'm not sure of the formula you're feeling there.

I'm not a fan of 2MTM, mind, and it sticks out as not very Maiden to me.

My wife always jokes that all Maiden sounds the same, anyway. There is a LOT of E minor C-D-E across their catalogue. :lol

My brain had an error 404 cascade failure trying to comprehend this.

:lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8194 on: April 19, 2022, 08:43:13 AM »
The thing is, plenty of people that weren't there rate Powerslave very highly.

To me, there's something too "straightforward" about the album. Other than a very long song, it feels...ordinary to me. Yes, I love the title track now, but back then, I thought the middle section felt a little forced.

That said, it's an album that has aged fairly well for me, mostly due to its sound, but it's still not an upper echelon Maiden album for me.

Like many bands in those days, they were on a relentless record-tour-record-tour cycle that was burning them out which I think explains some of the recycled riffs and ideas. But I was there too and I remember the hype about the album and specifically ROTAM. I don't recall it being better received than the 2 previous albums but it was definitely the one that made them a worldwide sensation.

Offline 425

« Reply #8195 on: April 19, 2022, 08:48:04 AM »

I think it's a very good song. When I criticize the middle of Powerslave, I do not include this one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8196 on: April 19, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
Are the middle songs in Powerslave that weak, or are the 4 bookend songs just that good?  Personally I think the 4 weaker tracks are better than the lesser material on Beast and Mind.

Offline 425

« Reply #8197 on: April 19, 2022, 10:18:24 AM »
In my opinion, tracks 3-5 on Powerslave are stronger than Gangland and Quest for Fire, but that's it. A big part of why I put Piece of Mind so high is that it's at least seven songs deep, and I would be inclined to add on Sun and Steel and make it eight, while Powerslave is just five songs deep.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8198 on: April 19, 2022, 10:56:27 AM »
In my opinion, tracks 3-5 on Powerslave are stronger than Gangland and Quest for Fire, but that's it. A big part of why I put Piece of Mind so high is that it's at least seven songs deep, and I would be inclined to add on Sun and Steel and make it eight, while Powerslave is just five songs deep.

Now…total up the actual minutes of good music on each album and what do you come up with then? (I’m a nerd)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #8199 on: April 19, 2022, 11:27:21 AM »
It depends on how exacting "good" is. I don't think that there are any outright bad songs on those albums, but if we set the bar at "songs that I would go out of my way to listen to..."

I would put everything but QFF from PoM on there, so that's 42 minutes.

I would put tracks 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 from PS on there, so that's 37 minutes. I could be talked into putting Flash of the Blade on there, too, which would bump it up to 41.

But I think the percentage also matters. 42/46 is a lot better by my lights than 41/51.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8200 on: April 19, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »

Now…total up the actual minutes of good music on each album and what do you come up with then? (I’m a nerd)

The only song on any of TNOTB, POM or Powerslave that I skip is Village.  Of the 25 songs on those three albums, there really isn't a BAD track.  As for the five songs mentioned, I'd say Duelists is the best, then Quest, Losfer, Flash and Gangland, but the four other than Duelists are probably interchangeable.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8202 on: April 19, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »

The only song on any of TNOTB, POM or Powerslave that I skip is Village.  Of the 25 songs on those three albums, there really isn't a BAD track.  As for the five songs mentioned, I'd say Duelists is the best, then Quest, Losfer, Flash and Gangland, but the four other than Duelists are probably interchangeable.

To me, the weakest track by far out of TNOTB, POM and Powerslave is Sun and Steel. I've always loved Back in the Village. Quest for Fire doesn't get a lot of love but it has a great instrumental section and overall vibe. I'm not a huge fan of Losfer Words, it would be the weakest track on Powerslave by a fair margin for me. Flash and The Duellists and Gangland I have also always loved.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8203 on: April 19, 2022, 07:52:24 PM »
Gamgland is all kinds of awesome and I have no idea why it gets the hate it does.

As much as I love The Duellists, and I do, it's really the extended instrumental part that makes the song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8204 on: April 19, 2022, 07:59:54 PM »
I was really hoping that Kev’s next attempt at a top 100 thread was going to be Iron Maiden. That would be freaking epic!

Kev, are going to do IM once VH is done?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8205 on: April 19, 2022, 08:02:17 PM »
I was really hoping that Kev’s next attempt at a top 100 thread was going to be Iron Maiden. That would be freaking epic!

Deadeye is going to run it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8206 on: April 19, 2022, 08:05:43 PM »
Unless I do a swerve and swipe it back (which I am considering :P).  Given the Maiden kick I have been on lately, I am kind of anxious to get VH over and to move on to IM.  :metal :metal

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8207 on: April 19, 2022, 08:08:55 PM »
Yes, a Maiden countdown is going to pretty epic. Should get a fair few onboard as well. Has to be Top 100 (might get Gangland in there then! haha!)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8208 on: April 19, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »
Likely would be 75, as not sure I can justify doing 100 for Maiden after doing only 75 for Rush, but we shall see.  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8209 on: April 19, 2022, 09:19:11 PM »

Yeah dunno, it fucking rips.  Adrian's riffing on this one is sublime.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8210 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:01 PM »
Unless I do a swerve and swipe it back (which I am considering :P).  Given the Maiden kick I have been on lately, I am kind of anxious to get VH over and to move on to IM.  :metal :metal

You can just cancel the VH one and start right away on the Maiden one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8211 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:49 PM »
Likely would be 75, as not sure I can justify doing 100 for Maiden after doing only 75 for Rush, but we shall see.  :biggrin:

I'd be in for 100 but whatever the consensus says is fine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8212 on: April 19, 2022, 09:21:39 PM »

Deadeye is going to run it.

And do all of our individual lists too.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8213 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:31 PM »
I love Back in the Village. But do wish the chorus was a bit better.

Offline 425

« Reply #8214 on: April 19, 2022, 11:03:07 PM »

I'd be in for 100 but whatever the consensus says is fine.

I really think it should be 100. Their discography is so large and there are so many great songs in there. Seriously, as someone who did a Maiden list a couple of years ago, you'll be surprised at what songs end up in your 30s and 40s that you thought for sure were top 25. For DT we did 100 when the band has ~150 songs; I say Maiden deserves 100 when they have >170 songs.

(For the record, I thought Rush should also have been 100, even though I didn't participate in that one... I do keep meaning to keep listening through that list.)
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8215 on: April 19, 2022, 11:04:17 PM »

Yeah... virtually no-one outside the US cares about Van Halen, anyway ;) :biggrin:

Top 100 for Maiden.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8216 on: April 20, 2022, 12:07:21 AM »

Yeah... virtually no-one outside the US cares about Van Halen, anyway ;) :biggrin:

Finally, vindication :biggrin:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8217 on: April 20, 2022, 07:31:45 AM »
I think if anyone wants to get the picture of what Maiden live is all about, it would be hard to top The Clansman from the Rock in Rio DVD. Just watched it and everyone is dialed up to 11, just the quintessence of what they are all about on stage.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8218 on: April 20, 2022, 07:47:00 AM »
I agree, that's one fine representation of the band.  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8219 on: April 20, 2022, 10:52:51 AM »

To me, the weakest track by far out of TNOTB, POM and Powerslave is Sun and Steel. I've always loved Back in the Village. Quest for Fire doesn't get a lot of love but it has a great instrumental section and overall vibe. I'm not a huge fan of Losfer Words, it would be the weakest track on Powerslave by a fair margin for me. Flash and The Duellists and Gangland I have also always loved.

I really dig Sun and Steel.  The guitar solo is EXCELLENT (anyone know if it's Dave or Adrian?).

Gamgland is all kinds of awesome and I have no idea why it gets the hate it does.

As much as I love The Duellists, and I do, it's really the extended instrumental part that makes the song.

I agree about Gangland.  I think most people have it last on Number, but being the "worst" song on an album like that isn't a terrible thing.  I rank it higher than Children and Hills.  I also like Quest for Fire.  The only song on POM that I find kinda "meh" is Still Life (but, again, being last on an album like that...).

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/iron-maiden/products/iron-maiden-seventh-son-playmate-cooler?ranMID=46441&ranEAID=Via2VsmyFkg&ranSiteID=Via2VsmyFkg-YuUkyk7j_raZidHAMpwnjw&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=RakutenMarketing

Seventh beer, it's my seventh beer!

Looking forward to a Maiden countdown (esp. since I'm not participating in the VH countdown).  It'll give me a good reason to become better acquainted with the reunion era.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8220 on: April 20, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
The only meh song for me on POM is Die With Your Boots On. It's probably my least favorite song of their entire 80s output. Horrible chorus.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8221 on: April 20, 2022, 01:02:02 PM »
Gangland is all kinds of awesome and I have no idea why it gets the hate it does.

I agree about Gangland.  I think most people have it last on Number, but being the "worst" song on an album like that isn't a terrible thing.  I rank it higher than Children and Hills.

The worst song on TNOTB IMO is Invaders, by a large margin.
Children Of The Damned is Top 10 material for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8222 on: April 20, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »
How about this ranking, 5 least favorite songs (top is least favorite) from TNOTB, POM, Powerslave, SiT, and SSOASS:

Back in the Village
Quest for Fire
Gangland
Invaders
Die With Your Boots On

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8223 on: April 20, 2022, 01:25:57 PM »
Invaders
The Lonliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Losfer Words
Flash Of The Blade
Sea Of Madness

Offline 425

« Reply #8224 on: April 20, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »

I really dig Sun and Steel.  The guitar solo is EXCELLENT (anyone know if it's Dave or Adrian?).

According to Iron Maiden Commentary, the first part, at 1:52, is a unison, and from 2:14 and on, it's Dave.

The only meh song for me on POM is Die With Your Boots On. It's probably my least favorite song of their entire 80s output. Horrible chorus.

I love Die With Your Boots On. Great chorus.

How about this ranking, 5 least favorite songs (top is least favorite) from TNOTB, POM, Powerslave, SiT, and SSOASS:

Back in the Village
Quest for Fire
Gangland
Invaders
Die With Your Boots On

Starting with the worst:

Gangland
Quest for Fire
Losfer Words
The Duelists
Deja Vu

I think Invaders gets more hate than it deserves. It's still in my bottom ten for this period, but I always enjoy it.
And if spirit's a sign,