Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572267 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #8015 on: April 08, 2022, 01:33:16 AM »
Somewhere in Time is definitely a top 1 album by the band.
Absolutely.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8016 on: April 08, 2022, 01:34:54 AM »
It's a close 2nd for me, with only Seventh Son topping it. I love that era of the band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8017 on: April 08, 2022, 06:45:40 AM »
Somewhere in Time is definitely a top 1 album by the band.

HAHA.  "Top 1" (and I'm laughing because of the way you wrote it, not that it's number 1).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 11:56:36 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8018 on: April 08, 2022, 10:22:20 AM »
I did give Somewhere in Time a whirl on the ear buds today at work, and I feel like that is definitely a top 3 album by the band.

Awesome Kev! Yes, it is one of my favourites too. I can still remember the day in 86 when I got the cassette on the first day of release, I was blown away by the cover and also the music. I know some have said it hasn't aged well but I disagree, I still love the album to this day. To me it is the pinnacle of Adrian and Dave's guitar playing, just some awesome guitar solos on the album.

I was born in 84 so I didn't live through the era of listening to these albums in real time, but I always thought SIT was ill received and that it aged better. I could be wrong. 

I don't think that's the case.  I recall some initial head scratching about the synths, BUT I think that partially a result of Judas Priest's use of synths on Turbo, which had been released five months earlier and which definitely was not well received.  I think any concern about Maiden doing the same thing was quickly put aside because the song were quite strong, and the synth use was very much for accent.

The thing about SIT for me is that it just doesn't have a "signature song."  Powerslave has Rime and Aces High.  POM has The Trooper and Icarus.  Beast has the title track and Hallowed.  Wasted Years and Stranger got a bit of airplay, but for me they don't really rise above everything else.  But every time I go back and listen to SIT, I definitely enjoy it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #8019 on: April 08, 2022, 10:34:19 AM »
For me, SiT is a very close third among the 80s albums, behind Seventh Son and Piece of Mind. That puts it sixth overall because I'm such a hardline reunion fan, but that's still very good in this discography.

I agree that the album doesn't have a "signature song," but it has a lot of very good songs. Caught Somewhere in Time, Alexander the Great and Stranger in a Strange Land are all fantastic, Wasted Years is excellent, and Sea of Madness is the most underrated 80s Maiden song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8020 on: April 09, 2022, 07:36:25 AM »

I do plan on revisiting Seventh Son of a Seventh Son here soon, as that has been the odd man out as far as their 80s albums go.  I have barely touched that one since running through their whole discography last fall.

Spun this one at work yesterday. Good album, but, for my ears, it is definitely the least best of their 80s albums (including the first two).  Almost everything is good, but almost none of it is like, "hot damn, this is great."

Online nick_z

« Reply #8021 on: April 09, 2022, 07:40:47 AM »

I do plan on revisiting Seventh Son of a Seventh Son here soon, as that has been the odd man out as far as their 80s albums go.  I have barely touched that one since running through their whole discography last fall.

Spun this one at work yesterday. Good album, but, for my ears, it is definitely the least best of their 80s albums (including the first two).  Almost everything is good, but almost none of it is like, "hot damn, this is great."

Hmm, Moonchild and Infinite Dreams would like a word... ;D

I have a soft spot for this album...actually, I remember not loving it the first time I heard it, but in time it's become one of my favorites. There's just a special atmosphere that makes it pretty unique within Maiden's catalog.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8022 on: April 09, 2022, 08:02:01 AM »

Fair enough. What are your thoughts on the title track? That's one of my top Maiden songs with killer vocals and instrumental section.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8023 on: April 09, 2022, 08:04:07 AM »

I have a soft spot for this album...actually, I remember not loving it the first time I heard it, but in time it's become one of my favorites. There's just a special atmosphere that makes it pretty unique within Maiden's catalog.

As would Only The Good Die Young and The Clairvoyant !Those four? Essential Maiden :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8024 on: April 09, 2022, 11:04:11 AM »
Those are all good songs. I don't think anything stood out to me as being forgettable or average, but as a whole it just feels like a good record with all good songs, just nothing really great.  Feels like all of their other albums from the 80s have much higher highs. 

Offline 425

« Reply #8025 on: April 09, 2022, 01:08:57 PM »
I think every song is great except Can I Play With Madness, and the title track is at least my third-favorite 80s Maiden song, but I suppose opinions will vary.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8026 on: April 09, 2022, 05:32:59 PM »
To each our own and all that but personally Seventh Son usually makes any Top10 'albums' list I compile.

Was actually a latecomer to the catalogue too, not by today's standards but not succumbing to the Maiden magic until the early 90's when fell hard for Bruce's Tears Of A Dragon and Seventh Son was the one that stood out from them all.  It probably helped holding original vinyl and being engrossed with that tremendous Seventh Son cover art etc, but while loved them all (Piece Of Mind and Somewhere In Time have remained faves too) think Seventh Son captures everything I have come to loved about 80's Maiden. 

Even Can I Play With Madness has its place \m/

Offline 425

« Reply #8027 on: April 09, 2022, 05:36:08 PM »
I don't think CIPWM is a bad song; in fact, I think it's the best "worst song" on any of the 80s albums. It's just a cut below the rest of the album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8028 on: April 09, 2022, 05:51:55 PM »
Not including anything off of The Number Of The Beast album and Caught Somewhere In Time, the next 80's Maiden songs I take are Infinite Dreams and SSOASS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8029 on: April 09, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »

See...for me, SSOASS sits in stark contrast to SIT.  Your comment is exactly how I see SIT.  However, with SSOASS, the title track and Moonchild are exceptional, but the rest of it is no better than average.

The only word for Infinite Dreams is "overrated."  And The Clairvoyant, which someone else mentioned, is one of the laziest songs Steve Harris has ever written.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8030 on: April 09, 2022, 08:18:47 PM »
I would call Infinite Dreams underrated as opposed to overrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #8031 on: April 09, 2022, 08:21:42 PM »
Infinite Dreams is one of their very best songs. Top 10.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8032 on: April 09, 2022, 08:22:11 PM »
So I will definitely agree with Paul that I never saw the fascination with The Clairvoyant.

To me, the only thing that SSOASS is really missing is an epic closer. Only The Good Die Young is just too...short. Maybe that's the point.

Infinite Dreams rules!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8033 on: April 09, 2022, 08:32:00 PM »

See...for me, SSOASS sits in stark contrast to SIT.  Your comment is exactly how I see SIT.  However, with SSOASS, the title track and Moonchild are exceptional, but the rest of it is no better than average.

The only word for Infinite Dreams is "overrated."  And The Clairvoyant, which someone else mentioned, is one of the laziest songs Steve Harris has ever written.

Laziest? Just the chorus alone proves that wrong. ANY Maiden where the chorus is just a single phrase repeated 8x (and I’m being generous…because it’s often 16 or even more) is lazier than The Clairvoyant.

I’m in the crowd that thinks SSOASS was much better effort than SIT.   I think the title track suffers a bit from the over repetition syndrome that became so prevalent starting with SIT, but most of the rest of the songs have far stronger choruses than SIT did.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8034 on: April 09, 2022, 08:33:02 PM »
So I will definitely agree with Paul that I never saw the fascination with The Clairvoyant.

To me, the only thing that SSOASS is really missing is an epic closer. Only The Good Die Young is just too...short. Maybe that's the point.

Infinite Dreams rules!

I think OTGDY is definitely pretty under appreciated too. No issues with it as a closer for me.  Love the ending.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8035 on: April 09, 2022, 08:58:17 PM »
Another big Infinite Dreams fan here. It is probably my number 1 track on the album, but it is tough to beat the title track.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8036 on: April 09, 2022, 09:10:20 PM »
Count me in again, as great as Moonchild was remember being blown away on first listen to Infinite Dreams.  I'd argue for its time Infinite Dreams was rather unique, inspired, and creatively speaking was a huge step for them at that time.

Regards Only The Good Die Young, yes it was short but frankly after the progressive path a lot of the album had already taken by then, found that made it the perfect closer leaving us wanting more, and songwise, it's often a forgotten gem of the Maiden catalogue, love it! \m/

2c and all IMO of course 😁
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 10:22:09 PM by WardySI »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8037 on: April 09, 2022, 09:13:54 PM »
Listened to some of the first two albums tonight when driving to and from hanging with a buddy to watch the hockey game.  Strange World is still so darn good, and I really like Prodigal Son as well. Something about that one just sparkles.  :coolio

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8038 on: April 09, 2022, 09:28:44 PM »
Listened to some of the first two albums tonight when driving to and from hanging with a buddy to watch the hockey game.  Strange World is still so darn good, and I really like Prodigal Son as well. Something about that one just sparkles.  :coolio

One of the bands greatest solo sections, both Adrian and Dave.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8039 on: April 10, 2022, 05:45:32 AM »

Yeah it’s kind of a shame they largely abandoned that facet of their sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8040 on: April 10, 2022, 08:10:02 AM »
Dipping into some of the newer stuff again as well. Feels like A Matter of Life and Death is the best of the bunch in this century.

Online nick_z

« Reply #8041 on: April 10, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »

One of the bands greatest solo sections, both Adrian and Dave.

Couldn't agree more. Prodigal Son is such a unique song for them. Killers is kind of funny, that way. I can't say I love all of it - some songs just come and go (Another Life, Innocent Exile, Drifter...), but then there are some absolute gems (Murders in the Rue Morgue, the title-track - Di'Anno is perfect for those - Prodigal Son and Purgatory). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8042 on: April 10, 2022, 09:22:47 AM »
Dipping into some of the newer stuff again as well. Feels like A Matter of Life and Death is the best of the bunch in this century.

Not to go all TACRanger on you but I believe it’s pretty much regarded as the centerpiece of the Reunion Era.

Online nick_z

« Reply #8043 on: April 10, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »

Not to go all TACRanger on you but I believe it’s pretty much regarded as the centerpiece of the Reunion Era.

That's why I gather too, but I'm not quite sure there's "hard" data to back this feeling up.

My personal favorite of the Reunion Era still is Dance of Death.

You know, I haven't quite figured out yet where I'd rank Senjutsu among the reunion albums. It was such a pleasant surprise last year, in that I expected to enjoy it, but not necessarily to like it as much as I did. So, I think it would land in the top half of the six, but haven't firmed up a position (I know, important decisions  :biggrin:)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 02:29:17 PM by nick_z »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8044 on: April 10, 2022, 10:15:10 AM »
RYM used to be a useful guide for rankings, but it feels like they get less and less traffic, as albums in the last decade get far less reviews than ones from, say, the 2000s.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/iron-maiden

Looks like Brave New World has a pretty big lead over A Matter of Life and Death there, but those being the top two rated ones of the newest six makes sense to me.  I still need to give the two newest ones more listens, but I dinged both from the start due to a) both sounding muddy as all get-out, and b) both having too many songs that seemed excessively long.  It was a chore to get through both.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8045 on: April 10, 2022, 02:15:43 PM »
It absolutely is in my opinion. However, many people prefer Brave new world or even The Book of souls.

Offline emtee

« Reply #8046 on: April 10, 2022, 02:58:23 PM »
Book Of Souls
The Final Frontier
A Matter Of Life And Death

Also, I put the headphones on last night and spun SSoaSS. Such a great album from beginning to end.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8047 on: April 10, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »

Laziest? Just the chorus alone proves that wrong. ANY Maiden where the chorus is just a single phrase repeated 8x (and I’m being generous…because it’s often 16 or even more) is lazier than The Clairvoyant.

TBH, I was mostly thinking of the bass intro when I wrote "laziest."  That said, the chorus sounds like something kids on a kindergarten playground would sing (albeit without the dark lyrics).

Offline 425

« Reply #8048 on: April 10, 2022, 04:06:11 PM »
RYM used to be a useful guide for rankings, but it feels like they get less and less traffic, as albums in the last decade get far less reviews than ones from, say, the 2000s.

Looks like Brave New World has a pretty big lead over A Matter of Life and Death there, but those being the top two rated ones of the newest six makes sense to me.  I still need to give the two newest ones more listens, but I dinged both from the start due to a) both sounding muddy as all get-out, and b) both having too many songs that seemed excessively long.  It was a chore to get through both.

BNW being the most popular one fits with my experience. I'm pretty sure that's because a lot of people who aren't big fans of the reunion era nevertheless really like that one, and reunion fans still like it a lot. So it makes sense that if you asked all Iron Maiden fans to rate the six albums, BNW would be highest. On the other hand, if you took a poll only of people who think highly of the reunion era as a whole, I think AMOLAD would win.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online nick_z

« Reply #8049 on: April 10, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »

BNW being the most popular one fits with my experience. I'm pretty sure that's because a lot of people who aren't big fans of the reunion era nevertheless really like that one, and reunion fans still like it a lot. So it makes sense that if you asked all Iron Maiden fans to rate the six albums, BNW would be highest. On the other hand, if you took a poll only of people who think highly of the reunion era as a whole, I think AMOLAD would win.

This is a very reasonable assessment, I think.

In my own experience (read: circle of friends), when BNW came out in 2000, there was (understandably) a lot of initial excitement for the return of Bruce and Adrian, and the album was generally VERY well received. When that waned a bit, looking at the album a little more "coldly", some started "complaining" about certain issues (songs that were longer than they needed to be, chorus repetitions etc.). I then remember people (again, people I knew) being quite happy with the songs on Dance of Death - sure, the cover art was terrible and some production choices questionable, but the songwriting was there. By the time A Matter of Life and Death came out, I didn't have that same circle for feedback - in my own view, the album was a great accomplishment for the band, but a little more of a chore to get through, for some reason. I saw them on that tour and, while I found the decision to play the whole thing admirable, I can't say I was super-happy with it.

Like I said, DoD is my personal favorite in the Reunion Era, but I still like BNW a lot. I think I might rank them this way (today, at least):

Dance of Death
Brave New World
Senjutsu
A Matter of Life and Death
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls

...but Senjutsu and A Matter... could easily be flipped. I don't know, Senjutsu is still pretty fresh. The Final Frontier has grown on me a lot over the years. Didn't particularly care for it when it came out, I very much enjoy it now. And I consider TBOS a very good album too (If Eternity Should Fail is one of my favorite reunion songs) - it's the one, however, that feels too long to me.