Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557960 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7595 on: November 04, 2021, 03:30:14 PM »
The last three tracks of Marillion's "Holidays In Eden" make reference to that.

This Town
The Rake's Progress
100 Nights

(Though I think in substance, only the middle piece - an interlude - is really any direct reference.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Lupton

« Reply #7597 on: November 04, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
The last three tracks of Marillion's "Holidays In Eden" make reference to that.

This Town
The Rake's Progress
100 Nights

(Though I think in substance, only the middle piece - an interlude - is really any direct reference.)

Cool. I didn't know about that. I knew about the Stravinsky opera, but not the Marillion tune.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7598 on: November 05, 2021, 02:53:18 AM »
Fencing to an international level isn't something that money can buy - the equipment isn't prohibitively expensive for most people, and fencing clubs will have stuff that beginners can borrow. It's not like it's a rich man's sport, it took him a huge amount of training and dedication to get that good. His Iffy Boatrace novels aren't exactly high literature (and the fact they've been out of print for years says much about their quality) but they're bad enough to have been written by Bruce alone without a ghost writer while still barely good enough to merit publication on their own merits. The aviation thing may have started as a hobby, but there's a tremendous amount of work and dedication needed to become a qualified airline pilot - if he were just a dilettante he'd have stopped at light aircraft or helicopters like most rock stars do. He also runs his own aviation company, which is where he spends most of his efforts. I can see how people find him irritating, but he is a true polymath and not just some rich hobbyist.

And +1 on This Town/The Rake's Progress/100 Nights being a great tune, but can't see how it's relevant.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7599 on: November 05, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »
I'm sorry, but this video is awesome, and it doesn't even have Iron Maiden in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bEvIj-BQRY
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7600 on: November 19, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »
I just love longhaired and bearded Bruce!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7601 on: December 01, 2021, 08:52:49 AM »
Fall US tour in 2022.  Trivium will be the support in the September shows.  Within Temptation in the October shows.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-2022-north-american-tour-dates/

SoCal show is in Anaheim.  I'll definitively keep my eye on that one.  Trivium as main support is a huge bonus.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #7602 on: December 01, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »
Getting to Anaheim from SFV on a friday sounds miserable, hard to plan for this one so far out.  Haven't missed a maiden tour since final frontier, so hopefully I can make it work  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7603 on: December 01, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
Definitely need to rejoin the fan club for the presale, looking to go to NJ with Within Temptation (awesome choice for opener IMO).  Maybe I can get to another show, but it's too far out for me to plan for a 2nd right now, just need to secure the NJ show.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7604 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:44 AM »
Definitely a logistical problem. My hunch is that they'll add more dates. Skipping Dallas and Houston is certainly uncommon. That said, they're playing the Foro Sol in Mexico, as opposed to three nights in an arena. I definitely want to catch Maiden in a stadium down there. Wednesday sucks, though. Not to mention I'd be right back down there 3 weeks later for R+. Also, it's listed as "special guests to be announced," and they've been known to pick up good acts as support for Mexico shows. Seeing Anthrax open for them a few years back was bad ass.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7605 on: December 01, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
They aren't playing NYC either, but I think this is because it's still the Legacy of the Beast tour and may be trying to hit up areas they didn't do (such as NJ) from the last time around for the same tour. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7606 on: December 01, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
Ugh..A Monday night in Worcester really doesn't work.

And WTF at buying tickets a year in advance?

Are these really Legacy Of the Beast shows? Are they going to tour the new album?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7607 on: December 01, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »
Ugh..A Monday night in Worcester really doesn't work.

And WTF at buying tickets a year in advance?

Are these really Legacy Of the Beast shows? Are they going to tour the new album?
Smallwood said they were adding a couple of Senjitsu songs to bring it up to date. Normally I'd call it a little of both, but since they'll be removing some of the deeper cuts from LotB and keeping all of the staples, I'd call it a new album tour with an old theme and stage design.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7608 on: December 01, 2021, 10:03:22 AM »
Fall US tour in 2022.  Trivium will be the support in the September shows.  Within Temptation in the October shows.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-2022-north-american-tour-dates/

SoCal show is in Anaheim.  I'll definitively keep my eye on that one.  Trivium as main support is a huge bonus.

Playing at the Pond is a BIG plus since it's 5 minutes down the street from my office.  The show being on a Wednesday is a big minus, but since it's at the Pond, I'll seriously consider it.

Getting to Anaheim from SFV on a friday sounds miserable, hard to plan for this one so far out.  Haven't missed a maiden tour since final frontier, so hopefully I can make it work  :metal

The Anaheim show is listed on Wednesday, Sept. 21 (not that getting from SFV to Anaheim on a Wednesday evening is much better than doing it on a Friday).  However, I noticed that the next date listed after Anaheim is four days later (Sunday, Sept. 25 in Chula Vista), so I'm wondering if they might add a Los Angeles date on Friday, Sept. 23.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7609 on: December 01, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »
Well, looks like I'm going to South Dakota.

I have seen Trivium plenty of times. I am not going to miss my chance to see Within Temptation, even if it is only for 50 min.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7610 on: December 01, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »
I registered for tickets, even though the Chicago show is on a Wednesday night.  We'll see how that works out - I have a week to decide if I want to buy a ticket.  Seeing Within Temptation for the first time is a big draw for me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7611 on: December 01, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
I MUST bring my daughter to see Maiden before they retire. She will be 8 years old by the time this tour hits Toronto...maybe the time has come.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7612 on: December 01, 2021, 12:46:57 PM »
By the way, how about those European tour dates?

https://www.ironmaiden.com/tours/legacy-of-the-beast-tour-2022-2022

Iron Maiden are coming to Belgrade for the first time in eight years.  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7613 on: December 01, 2021, 01:16:23 PM »
Well, looks like I'm going to South Dakota.

I have seen Trivium plenty of times. I am not going to miss my chance to see Within Temptation, even if it is only for 50 min.

I'll be there too! Will be my 5th Maiden show in different state. Also super stoked to see WT for the first time!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7614 on: December 01, 2021, 04:51:14 PM »
I finally get into this band and they aren't coming here on the tour, damn it.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7615 on: December 01, 2021, 05:06:45 PM »
I'm also really happy the band decided to pick some legit bands for support and not a Harris child.  I'd be totally cool seeing Trivium (again, just saw them over the summer) but WIthin Temptation is a huge win for my tastes albeit kind of an odd pairing.  Elevates this concert from just a Maiden gig to a legit metal show you don't want to miss a minute of.

Offline 425

« Reply #7616 on: December 01, 2021, 05:16:47 PM »
I did not expect them to bring LotB back to the United States. While I wish they'd get on with a Senjutsu tour, I do think the LotB setlist is one of their best ever. I missed it last time because I was sick, so it's cool to get another chance. Just please keep at least one of SotC and FtGGoG...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #7617 on: December 01, 2021, 06:21:39 PM »
DEFINITELY hitting the NJ show :metal I have LESS THAN ZERO interest in Within Temptation though :tdwn

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #7618 on: December 01, 2021, 06:32:36 PM »
I’m very surprised that they’re continuing the Legacy tour, rather than do a full-on Senjutsu tour. Not that I’m complaining, I missed the last show in my city. Bring it on!  :metal

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7619 on: December 01, 2021, 10:32:01 PM »
IIRC Bruce mentioned in a few interviews that they planned to play a couple of songs from Senjutsu in the new Legacy tour – I'm almost positive he mentioned Writing on the Wall and the title track, but I can't locate the quote right now.

I wonder whether the subtle re-theming means they plan on including more new tracks than that. The band's official FB page definitely noticed the popularity of Hell on Earth through Youtube views, so I wonder if they'll swap one of the longer songs for that.

Still rooting for a Senjutsu tour proper after this, but it's nice that they're slightly changing things around for this next leg.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7620 on: December 01, 2021, 10:38:59 PM »
That Seattle show is tempting. But damn, WT takes over on the very next show. Which is in...

Sept. 30 - Spokane, Wash. @ Spokane Arena

Whoa. There is an arena in Spokane?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7621 on: December 01, 2021, 11:21:00 PM »
That Seattle show is tempting. But damn, WT takes over on the very next show. Which is in...

Sept. 30 - Spokane, Wash. @ Spokane Arena

Whoa. There is an arena in Spokane?

Yeah, I believe they are home of junior league hockey team, the Spokane Chiefs.  Metallica even played there for their US arena run in 2018.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7622 on: December 01, 2021, 11:25:19 PM »
Just a subtle jab at my neighbors to the East.  :) Glad they are getting some big names to play in that neck of the woods.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online WardySI

« Reply #7623 on: December 02, 2021, 04:23:50 AM »
Doubt they'll make it to our shores for a long while yet but considering the costs for me to travel to these shows and having seen Maiden a few times now, it would take a proper Senjutsu tour to get me there.

And if they were to finally  show some love and take Blaze and his excellent War Within Me as support I'd absolutely make that show!🤘

Offline MrMike

« Reply #7624 on: December 02, 2021, 09:49:32 AM »
I caught the Legacy tour in Houston and am thrilled they're coming to Austin this time, so no travel required.  It is surprising that they're continuing the Legacy theme in America instead of just starting a full blown Senjutsu tour.  I'm guessing the guys just really love the current show and set and I would agree.  I haven't seen Maiden a ton of times, but the 2019 show was probably my favorite (or at least tied with Somewhere Back In Time).  And not being a huge fan of modern era Maiden, getting just a few new tracks sprinkled in is perfect IMO.

From the tour promo art, I'm hoping we're going to see an Eddie battle on stage.  Senjutsu Eddie versus Classic Eddie would be a riot!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7625 on: December 02, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
I made a comment on Within Temptation's facebook tour announcement post about them hating Arizona and they liked my comment.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7626 on: December 02, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »
IIRC Bruce mentioned in a few interviews that they planned to play a couple of songs from Senjutsu in the new Legacy tour – I'm almost positive he mentioned Writing on the Wall and the title track, but I can't locate the quote right now.
This makes perfect sense. They're not going to skip the single, and Senjitsu would fit in with the war part of the show. How it works into the setlist will be interesting. My best guess would be 2MtM gets the axe from the first part of the show. They get to leave the spitfire on stage for Where Eagles Dare. I think Arry gets off hearing crowds shout FREEDOM. Trooper's obviously not going anywhere. My hunch is that they drop 2M and move everything up, tacking on Senjitsu at the end of the war set. Nice segue into the religion part.

Writing on the Wall is tougher. It's not really religious themed. It'd make sense to put it where Icarus is now, but there's no way they cut Icarus. The staging is just way too cool. Best bet would be to drop Wicker Man and put WotW after Icarus, which leads to the typical standards part of the show.

Doctor Doctor
Churchill
Aces
Eagles
Clansman
Trooper
Senjitsu
Revelations
Greater Good
Sign of the Cross
Icarus
Writing
FotD
Number
IM

Encore

That said, he may well decide to drop one of the Blaze songs, and that probably means 2MtM stays and Clansman's out.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7627 on: December 02, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »
I would not be happy if they played Senjutsu and over the other songs on the album.  It's my least favorite and it's pacing would make it not the greatest live song IMO.  I could be wrong and hope to be proven wrong if they do perform it (just to be clear).  If it were the album tour, I'd be sure they'd perform it, but for this, I almost feel like Stratego makes more sense being a single and can replace a shorter song. 

However, if they bring out Samurai Eddie, Senjutsu makes more sense.  I could see that being the angle, use that song for an epic Eddie battle as the song itself may not keep the audience engaged (and we all know from the AMoLaD tour, the audience's don't always respond well to the new songs).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7628 on: December 02, 2021, 03:12:33 PM »
in one of the videos Adrian did leading up to the release, he basically said that Senjutsu was going to be played live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7629 on: December 02, 2021, 03:15:50 PM »
While I'd rather Lost, Hell or Parchment, I reckon the title track comes across pretty well live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.