Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573531 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7420 on: October 16, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »
Yep, it happens.  Even though Powerslave is my favorite album of theirs so far, I think Alexander the Great is their best album closer from the 80s.

I saw them on that tour, and when they busted out Rime again, I was like WTF??

Alexander is a great tune, but even that gets lost on me when I rank their Classic Era tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7421 on: October 16, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
Yep, with that many good songs, it can be easy to overlook or forget about some.  I am sure as I revisit them a lot over time, I am sure some will grab me that maybe haven't yet.  13 albums is a lot to revisit (7 from the 80s and the 6 reunion albums; the 90s albums I will not bother with again), but I have time. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7422 on: October 16, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »
Yep, with that many good songs, it can be easy to overlook or forget about some.  I am sure as I revisit them a lot over time, I am sure some will grab me that maybe haven't yet.  13 albums is a lot to revisit (7 from the 80s and the 6 reunion albums; the 90s albums I will not bother with again), but I have time. :lol

That's a lot of music to digest in a short time. I give you credit for getting through it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7423 on: October 16, 2021, 09:19:27 PM »

That's a lot of music to digest in a short time. I give you credit for getting through it.

:tup :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7424 on: October 17, 2021, 04:38:57 AM »
Had a crack at both Adrian's and Dave's Darkest Hour solos.  Did this a few weeks ago but only just had the time now to finish it off and upload it.  A few little nuances not quite right, but I think it's decent.  Check it out.

Edit:  I'll have to reupload.  I didn't switch the video around so it looks like I'm left handed.  D'oh!  Didn't even give that a thought.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:47:51 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7426 on: October 17, 2021, 01:20:07 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-loving-principal-can-stay-despite-parents-petitioning-for-her-removal/

:facepalm:

What is the fucking point of having an instagram? If you want to put your shit out there for the world to see, then you get what you get, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7427 on: October 17, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »
Instawhat?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7428 on: October 17, 2021, 02:22:32 PM »
Sometimes I chuckle at the amount of Luddites that I find in an online forum on the Internet. It seems ironic somehow. :rollin :rollin

I mean that term affectionately
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7429 on: October 17, 2021, 02:24:42 PM »
What is a Luddite? Sounds like a brand of cough drops.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7430 on: October 17, 2021, 02:58:58 PM »

From the dictionary:

“someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change.”

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7431 on: October 17, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »

From the dictionary:

“someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change.”

What's a dictionary? ;D

I'm not a luddite. I have an iPhone.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7432 on: October 17, 2021, 03:09:27 PM »

From the dictionary:

What's a dictionary? ;D

Dude….NEW technologies. Using a cell phone doesn’t make you a non-Luddite.  :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7433 on: October 17, 2021, 03:13:25 PM »
But it has apps and shit. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7434 on: October 17, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »

From the dictionary:

I have never heard that term before.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7435 on: October 17, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »

From the dictionary:

What's a dictionary? ;D

Dude….NEW technologies. Using a cell phone doesn’t make you a non-Luddite.  :rollin

What's newer than a Samsung Android?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7436 on: October 17, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-loving-principal-can-stay-despite-parents-petitioning-for-her-removal/

At least it turned out well in the end, but damn. I thought the "evil metal music coming after your children" narrative would've been long since dead by now, but I guess human stupidity is immortal.

Ten bucks says at least half the people who signed the original petition have asked to speak to the manager at some point. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7437 on: October 18, 2021, 12:54:03 AM »

At least it turned out well in the end, but damn. I thought the "evil metal music coming after your children" narrative would've been long since dead by now, but I guess human stupidity is immortal.

Ten bucks says at least half the people who signed the original petition have asked to speak to the manager at some point. :lol
Yea I thought so too. I guess that's the weird side effect of social media. Pre-internet peoples social life stayed locally and within a circle. So heavy metal loving principals could roam freely without the world to judge. These days when people are being open and social about their personal life they risk getting judged for being themself by angry mobs with digital pitchforks. It's funny because it's kinda in reverse,  instead of an angry mob showing up at your house like the good 'ol days the mobs roam in secrecy online and sign petitions in the comfort of their own homes.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7438 on: October 18, 2021, 06:00:15 AM »

I know this was Canada rather than the US, but on behalf of every single person in Europe and the rest of the world, can I just say that we really don't understand this shit.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7439 on: October 18, 2021, 06:06:11 AM »
This is a surprise to you people?  Something like this happens probably three or four times a week THAT WE HEAR OF, and probably three times that that we don't.  This is culture in North America; you're judged indiscriminately based on the shifting mores of the mob.   

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7440 on: October 18, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
And it's Iron fucking Maiden for fucks sake.  These people would really loose their shit if it were some black metal band.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7441 on: October 18, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
Imagine the principal with an Anal C*** shirt on.  :) :metal :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7442 on: October 18, 2021, 03:47:18 PM »

I heard they have a surprisingly large fanbase among educators.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7443 on: October 18, 2021, 03:49:09 PM »

I heard they have a surprisingly large fanbase among educators.

Mainly physiology and anatomy teachers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 04:23:32 PM by wolfking »

Online pg1067

« Reply #7444 on: October 18, 2021, 04:05:20 PM »

"The petition, titled 'Eden High School Principal, Sharon Burns, Needs to Be Transferred Immediately!' read, 'We are deeply disturbed that the principal assigned to the school blatantly showed Satanic symbols and her allegiance to Satanic practices on her public social media platforms where all the students can see them under @edenprincipal (not her personal account).'"

Didn't we move past this shit 35 years ago?

"More than 500 people signed the petition to transfer Burns. . . .

[P]

Meanwhile, a counter-petition supporting Burns garnered over 20,000 signatures."

At least there's that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7445 on: October 19, 2021, 08:37:30 PM »

"The petition, titled 'Eden High School Principal, Sharon Burns, Needs to Be Transferred Immediately!' read, 'We are deeply disturbed that the principal assigned to the school blatantly showed Satanic symbols and her allegiance to Satanic practices on her public social media platforms where all the students can see them under @edenprincipal (not her personal account).'"

[P]

Meanwhile, a counter-petition supporting Burns garnered over 20,000 signatures."

At least there's that.

This almost sounds like a joke. I'm embarassed for those people. I really hope there's more to the story than just that fucking picture. I don't have FaceBooger or any other "public social media platforms" otherwise I'd check out these alleged "Satanic practices" that were displayed.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7446 on: October 20, 2021, 05:40:39 AM »

[P]

At least there's that.

This almost sounds like a joke. I'm embarassed for those people. I really hope there's more to the story than just that fucking picture. I don't have FaceBooger or any other "public social media platforms" otherwise I'd check out these alleged "Satanic practices" that were displayed.

Don't use me as a guide, but all I saw was the "666" that she put in the picture.  Which, of course, is symbolic not of Satanic practices, but arguably their biggest album (certainly their breakthrough) and one of their biggest (certainly most iconic) songs.

Online pg1067

« Reply #7447 on: October 20, 2021, 10:02:08 AM »
Seems to be only the picture.

I have an Instagram account (primarily for keeping an eye on my teenager), and I checked her page, and it looks like she removed the photo.

I wonder what Tipper Gore is doing these days.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7448 on: October 20, 2021, 03:24:05 PM »
I think with this story, it's actually more refreshing seeing the 20000 against these other muppets.  Definitely a positive there.

Online pg1067

« Reply #7449 on: October 20, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
I think with this story, it's actually more refreshing seeing the 20000 against these other muppets.  Definitely a positive there.

Exactly, although I assume both of these things are online "petitions" of the sort that may make some folks feel good, but which are rarely (if ever) taken seriously by the person(s) or entity(ies) to whom they're directed.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7450 on: October 20, 2021, 11:17:47 PM »
Yet in this case expect the person to whom one petition was directed / ultimately served did in fact feel good to such a point they may well have celebrated with a wee small cry of 'Up the Irons'🤘

I certainly did 😉

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7451 on: October 21, 2021, 08:19:48 AM »
Redirecting . . . Kev did you end up liking IM more than you thought you would?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7452 on: October 21, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »
Note: I’m listening to the 1998 EMI remasters, and this is the first album I’ve had a problem with – the remastering is brickwalled to death and is truly, truly horrible, it’s a screech of clipped cymbals and actively hurt my ears. I wish I’d still got the original 1988 CD to compare it to. I note the booklet doesn’t include any remastering credits, all the albums so far have, but after this they don’t. This version is all but unlistenable - Does anyone know if the new remaster is any better?

I've got Somewhere on Time on vinyl (and I think it's one of the earlier pressings, i.e., not a "new because vinyl is cool again" press). And I also have Number of the Beast on vinyl (a recent re-issue). Both albums sound superb, much better than those remastered CDs which were my first exposure in the 00s.

Not that the CDs were bad... I suspect they were being remastered and compressed to sound good on headphones, but everything does sound squashed. The biggest giveaway is the drums - seems like a lot of life was sapped out of them in those CD remasters. Listening to the vinyl loudly on my stereo system is awesome, I hear so much detail I never heard before.
Anyway, I like both. Those CDs were perfect for a new kid trying to hear the music over a loud school bus, especially with all the linear notes and pictures. The vinyls are great for a guy who just wants to play them loud in the living room on the weekends.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7453 on: October 22, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »
I fucking love the Senjutsu title track. So mighty!  :hefdaddy
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns