Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572972 times)

Offline DTA

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7315 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:24 AM »

Yeah, there are. It's loaded with great tunes. The Nomad and The Thin Line are the two standouts for me, but the Death On The Road version of Brave New World and the En Vivo version of Blood Brothers launch both tracks into the stratosphere.

Yep, The Nomad is a major standout, along with Ghost of the Navigator and Blood Brothers.  The Thin Line... is still one that is iffy for me.

I always thought Out Of The Silent Planet was a really good one from BNW that doesn't get a lot of mention. Dream Of Mirrors would be fantastic too if the middle didn't go on endlessly.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7316 on: October 13, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »
For The Greater Good Of God is my 3rd favorite of the Reunion Era behind The Talisman and Coming Home. Although The Parchment is knocking on its door.

The Parchment might crack my all time Maiden top 5.  I can't get enough of it.

Hmmm... while I agree with your thoughts on Hell On Earth below The Parchment is one of the three songs on this that I just can't quite love like most the rest the album? :-\

ETA Actually it's your thoughts on Hell On Earth ABOVE now I've posted this right? Weird... :P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:52:38 AM by WardySI »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7317 on: October 13, 2021, 07:54:23 AM »
Dream Of Mirrors would be fantastic too if the middle didn't go on endlessly.

This. How many times can he sing "I only dream in black and white"?

I generally don't jump on the repeated lines wagon, though I do understand it. And Dream Of Mirrors is the one song for me that suffers. It's too bad because there's a huge song here that just doesn't get there for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7318 on: October 13, 2021, 08:38:02 AM »
Dream Of Mirrors would be fantastic too if the middle didn't go on endlessly.

This. How many times can he sing "I only dream in black and white"?

I generally don't jump on the repeated lines wagon, though I do understand it. And Dream Of Mirrors is the one song for me that suffers. It's too bad because there's a huge song here that just doesn't get there for me.

Funny, because I will admit that I looked at the Maiden survivor polls here from like 5-6 years ago as useful guides (as knowing what are supposedly the better songs helps me a little when going in blind to a new album), and I saw that Dream of Mirrors finished 2nd for BNW and The Nomad finished 6th, but when I listened, I was like, "What?? The Nomad is way better!!!"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7319 on: October 13, 2021, 08:40:13 AM »
I'd say I like Dream of Mirrors more than The Nomad.  When I first heard DoM (from RiR) I was floored.  I'd say it doesn't rank as high as most of the other IM epics, but still a bit higher than The Nomad for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7320 on: October 13, 2021, 08:40:59 AM »
I'd say I like Dream of Mirrors more than The Nomad.  When I first heard DoM (from RiR) I was floored.  I'd say it doesn't rank as high as most of the other IM epics, but still a bit higher than The Nomad for me.

I like the live version of DoM a lot more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #7321 on: October 13, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »
Dream of Mirrors is awesome! :tup

I have been listening to "Senjutsu" way more than The Book of Souls already. Senjutsu does have some tracks that I could skip outright, but the ratio of good songs far outweighs the less than great songs.

I am surprised that Harris managed to come up with 4 pretty great epics, with "Hell on Earth" being easily one of the best reunion era songs! I love everything about that song, everything except the lack of a second chorus.. :P

The intro melody is really beautiful!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7322 on: October 13, 2021, 01:32:24 PM »

I am surprised that Harris managed to come up with 4 pretty great epics, with "Hell on Earth" being easily one of the best reunion era songs! I love everything about that song, everything except the lack of a second chorus.. :P

Amen!  :biggrin:

It should have come at the end, after the "live in anger" part, when the song is about to wind down, there should have been a reprise of the chorus to end the song, and the album, in a bombastic way....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7323 on: October 13, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »
DOM is cool.  Love the galloping middle section.  The double time chorus lines in that section do sound a little cheesy but I don't mind it.  I love the guitar melody in that part almost shifting backwards and forwards from E minor to D minor.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7324 on: October 13, 2021, 03:59:18 PM »
Been spinning Senjutsu a few times now and overall I think it's quite solid. Is anyone else getting some Blaze era vibes from the last couple of songs? Death of the Celts feels a bit like Sign of the Cross mixed with Clansman (2 of my favorite Maiden songs) and the songs after it also have a bit of that Blaze era sound to it. I mean that in a good way though. It's kinda nice to hear some parts that feels like nods to songs/albums that weren't as high regarded as others, but the band is still paying homage to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7325 on: October 13, 2021, 04:00:46 PM »
There's been a lot of comparisons with TXF.  I didn't hear it at first but Celts is a definite Clansman sequel and LIALW has strong X Factor vibes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7326 on: October 13, 2021, 05:35:41 PM »
To be clear, I like Dream of Mirrors; I just like The Nomad more.  :hat :hat

I might take Blood Brothers over both, however.  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7327 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:40 PM »
Blood Brothers became much more appreciated from me when I saw them play it live on TBOS tour.  It was phenomenal.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7328 on: October 13, 2021, 07:05:18 PM »
The melody at 0:17 in Blood Brothers is probably one of the most beautiful melodies I’ve ever heard. Wonderful song.

Offline 425

« Reply #7329 on: October 13, 2021, 07:07:03 PM »
There's been a lot of comparisons with TXF.  I didn't hear it at first but Celts is a definite Clansman sequel and LIALW has strong X Factor vibes.

I still kind of think the Celts/Clansman comparison is a bit overblown by some, but I do think Celts and Parchment in particular are playing out certain elements of the Blaze-era-style. And now that you name the comparison, of course LIALW is X Factory—can't believe I didn't think of it before. Also nice to see that Steve acknowledged Blaze in the liner notes.

Funny, because I will admit that I looked at the Maiden survivor polls here from like 5-6 years ago as useful guides (as knowing what are supposedly the better songs helps me a little when going in blind to a new album), and I saw that Dream of Mirrors finished 2nd for BNW and The Nomad finished 6th, but when I listened, I was like, "What?? The Nomad is way better!!!"

I think 5-6 years ago I would have put Dream of Mirrors ahead of The Nomad, but I'm not sure I would anymore. When I did my top 50 a year or two ago, I think I had them in adjacent spots, with The Nomad ahead.

I always thought Out Of The Silent Planet was a really good one from BNW that doesn't get a lot of mention. Dream Of Mirrors would be fantastic too if the middle didn't go on endlessly.

I love Out of the Silent Planet. I definitely think it deserves more love.

It would be interesting in light of all the recent conversation to rank Brave New World. I think I'd go:

1. Ghost of the Navigator
2. Out of the Silent Planet
3. The Wicker Man
4. The Nomad
5. Dream of Mirrors
6. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
7. Brave New World
8. Blood Brothers
9. The Fallen Angel
10. The Mercenary

The top five are all top 50 songs for me, and 2-5 are extremely close. 6-8 are also pretty close, and certainly strong songs in their own right. 9 and 10 are just meh songs to me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7330 on: October 13, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »
Huh, I'll have t read the linear notes but very cool of Steve giving Blaze a shout out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7331 on: October 13, 2021, 07:26:32 PM »
The melody at 0:17 in Blood Brothers is probably one of the most beautiful melodies I’ve ever heard. Wonderful song.

Good call. That melody is awesome.

Blood Brothers became much more appreciated from me when I saw them play it live on TBOS tour.  It was phenomenal.

I can imagine.  :hat :hat

I think 5-6 years ago I would have put Dream of Mirrors ahead of The Nomad, but I'm not sure I would anymore. When I did my top 50 a year or two ago, I think I had them in adjacent spots, with The Nomad ahead.

There ya go.  :tup :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #7332 on: October 13, 2021, 07:41:40 PM »
Huh, I'll have t read the linear notes but very cool of Steve giving Blaze a shout out.

Two other former members were mentioned as well: Paul Day and Doug Sampson.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7333 on: October 13, 2021, 07:44:02 PM »
Paul Day? Wow!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7334 on: October 13, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
Was Blaze giving a "thanks for making it clear how detrimental to a band a mediocre singer can be" shout-out? :P :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7335 on: October 13, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
C'mon man, it ain't like that.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7336 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:34 PM »
Still not much love for The Fallen Angel?

Is a class rocker, easily in my Top5 off BNW

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7337 on: October 13, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »
C'mon man, it ain't like that.

Just having a little fun.  :biggrin: (although my dislike for his voice is real)

Solid tune, but it's just hard for it to stack up considering how many really good one are on that record, if you ask me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7338 on: October 13, 2021, 08:04:38 PM »

I like Fallen Angel a lot, but I have no idea where I'd put it if I ranked BNW.

Also, I never really cared for The Wicker Man, but it has aged really well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7339 on: October 13, 2021, 08:08:55 PM »
I always thought The Wicker Man was pretty average also.

Fallen Angels rips.  Heavy AF riff.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7340 on: October 14, 2021, 02:22:13 AM »
Was Blaze giving a "thanks for making it clear how detrimental to a band a mediocre singer can be" shout-out? :P :P

Blaze was, at the time, an excellent singer and the perfect choice for Maiden's frontman. His only crime was Not Being Bruce Dickinson, and a huge percentage of the fan base just couldn't forgive him for that.

Who should they have given the gig to? Whoever you suggest, I guarantee they weren't available or didn't want the job.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7341 on: October 14, 2021, 02:40:20 AM »

Blaze was, at the time, an excellent singer and the perfect choice for Maiden's frontman. His only crime was Not Being Bruce Dickinson, and a huge percentage of the fan base just couldn't forgive him for that.

Who should they have given the gig to? Whoever you suggest, I guarantee they weren't available or didn't want the job.

Doogie White.

But he wasn't english.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7342 on: October 14, 2021, 03:31:33 AM »
And I guarantee you the fans would have found Doogie White just as guilty of Not Being Bruce Dickinson as they found Blaze.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7343 on: October 14, 2021, 03:47:01 AM »
Yeah, but he would have sang the phuck out of The Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7344 on: October 14, 2021, 04:20:44 AM »
I've always loved Blood brothers, but seeing it as a part of the encore on The Book of souls tour moved it even higher on my list. It was followed by Wasted years as a closer, which in my mind turned out to be the best Iron Maiden encore ever. Moving, powerful, fun.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7345 on: October 14, 2021, 04:22:23 AM »
And I guarantee you the fans would have found Doogie White just as guilty of Not Being Bruce Dickinson as they found Blaze.

Plus no one would have understood him talking onstage with his thick Scottish accent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7346 on: October 14, 2021, 04:58:34 AM »

If they were able to somehow not play The Trooper or Hallowed and Steve pushed his ego aside and detuned half a step for him, he would have killed it live.  Things may have been different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7347 on: October 14, 2021, 06:13:40 AM »

I have no idea who should have gotten the gig, as I was not a fan back then and I have never been knee deep in the metal scene to where I'd know what singers were available at what time, but I just feel that getting someone better than Bayley wouldn't have been difficult.  If he was an excellent singer at the time, the bar for being an excellent singer must be a lot lower than I thought it was.  I listened to both Maiden albums he did twice, and while he had moments where he did a solid job, there were a lot more moments that made me cringe or gave me that "I can't wait for this to be over" feeling.  For as much great stuff as Maiden has done, and I realize it now having just gotten through their whole history, those two albums are a wasteland.  And to be fair, the two early 90s albums with Dickinson weren't a whole lot better, so the band as a whole struggled in the 90s.

And I get that those albums have fans, and fans of them are willing to die on that hill, and pushback will come towards anyone who dares criticize them, but I am just reacting to what I have listened to for the last month.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7348 on: October 14, 2021, 06:47:49 AM »
So Kev, what stood out to you the most on these original run-throughs? Bruce's vocals? Guitar players? Songwriting?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7349 on: October 14, 2021, 08:15:30 AM »

James Labrie!  :biggrin:

If they were able to somehow not play The Trooper or Hallowed and Steve pushed his ego aside and detuned half a step for him, he would have killed it live.  Things may have been different.

I think this would have helped him massively, but overall, I don't think it would have saved him.  His albums having terrible mixes alone basically made it impossible.  And of course just simply not being Bruce already had him starting from being buried 15 feet under the ground.  He got 0 help from anyone to get him up to a level playing field.