Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573281 times)

Offline DTA

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7280 on: October 10, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »
So, these are where my rankings are..

The Parchment
Hell On Earth
Lost In A Lost World
Darkest Hour
Stratego
Writing On The Wall
Death Of The Celts
The Time Machine
Days Of Future Past
Shenjutsu

I still can't believe how strong this album is. My top 2 would match yours with Hell On Earth and The Parchment switched, and every other song could potentially be in the number 3 spot depending on my mood that day.

Today I'd go with:

Hell On Earth
The Parchment
The Time Machine
Days Of Future Past
Lost In A Lost World
Stratego
Darkest Hour
Death Of The Celts
Writing On The Wall
Senjutsu

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7281 on: October 11, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »
En Vivo! is by far my favorite live album from them.

Are you referring to the video, or audio, or both?

I don't have the audio only version, just DVD.  My Maiden introduction was right around the release of En Vivo!  I remember seeing it all over the place at the time.  But since the Maiden catalog is so big, I spent several months collecting albums and getting up to speed (I would buy one or two at a time, listen to it/them for awhile, and then go back for more).  I wasn't really in a rush to get any particular thing, and the En Vivo! CD version was low on the list since I had the DVD already and there was so much other stuff to explore.  Then for some reason, once they released Maiden England, the CD version of En Vivo! all but disappeared from the local music shops.  It's almost like they just stopped printing it once the next live album came out.  Even on Amazon, it shows as "unavailable."  https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Maiden-En-Vivo-Music/dp/B00PBNY5A2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=iron+maiden+en+vivo&qid=1633964946&sr=8-4

If I really wanted it, I'm sure I could track down a copy.  But as much a I like it, I just haven't made it a priority.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7282 on: October 11, 2021, 07:27:44 PM »
The new album is a real struggle. Gave it a few spins and there are moments I like, but I don't like the sound at all (more brickwalled to the max crap), and the keys on this one sound too high and screechy.  They usually do a good job of using keys that kind of melt into their sound, but the ones here grate a bit too much.  Bummer if this journey ends on a down note, but it is what it is.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7283 on: October 11, 2021, 11:59:10 PM »

Even on Amazon, it shows as "unavailable."

I just bought a copy (on you're recommendation) through Amazon UK, seem to be stocked quite well.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7284 on: October 12, 2021, 09:14:32 AM »
The new album is a real struggle. Gave it a few spins and there are moments I like, but I don't like the sound at all (more brickwalled to the max crap), and the keys on this one sound too high and screechy.  They usually do a good job of using keys that kind of melt into their sound, but the ones here grate a bit too much.  Bummer if this journey ends on a down note, but it is what it is.

Yeah it's a bummer after all the hype. Funny thing is if you play it at 1.25 speed on YouTube it sounds like IRON MAIDEN albeit still muddy. Anyway, looking forward to your Top 10 songs/albums list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7285 on: October 12, 2021, 06:34:30 PM »
I cannot imagine coming up with a favorite songs list to put in order, but I might take a crack at a list of 20-25 in no specific order.

When it comes to albums, I can safely say right now that my top 5 is:

Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
A Matter of Life and Death
The Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:50:58 PM by KevShmev »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7286 on: October 12, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »
I cannot imagine coming up with a favorite songs list to put in order, but I might take a crack at a list of 20-25 in no specific order.

When it comes to albums, I can safely say right now that my top 5 is:

Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
A Matter of Life and Death
The Nature of the Beast
Piece of Mind

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7287 on: October 12, 2021, 06:51:12 PM »
Damn it.  :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7288 on: October 12, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
 :rollin your top 3 is similar to mine

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7289 on: October 12, 2021, 06:53:15 PM »
Kev, I give you credit for getting through the entire discog. There's a lot to chew on, especially the Reunion Era where the albums are basically twice as long as their 80's counterparts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7290 on: October 12, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »
I am actually quite fond of the first two as well.  I feared I wouldn't revisit them much, but I am listening to both almost as much as the ones in my top 5 so far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7291 on: October 12, 2021, 06:55:24 PM »
Kev, I give you credit for getting through the entire discog. There's a lot to chew on, especially the Reunion Era where the albums are basically twice as long as their 80's counterparts.

Some of those later albums were definitely a chore. :lol

It helps that I haven't been quite as crazy busy at work, so I had time to listen to some on the ear buds during downtime and then blast them on the big stereo in the evenings.  :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7292 on: October 12, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
Their last 4 albums have like 4 or 5 songs at 10 min or so. Even as a lifelong fan, these albums haven't necessarily been immediate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7293 on: October 12, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
For sure. 

I will say, too, that while I am still not sold on Hallowed Be Thy Name being a top tier Maiden song, it has gotten better for me.  Not saying the light bulb has totally came on, but it is flickering. ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7294 on: October 12, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »
Hallowed Be Thy Name is my second all time favorite song after learning To Live.

I know you mentioned that you couldn't do a top 20, which is totally understandable, but is there a handful of songs that did stand out for you?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7295 on: October 12, 2021, 07:22:06 PM »
Found these in a store over the weekend!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7296 on: October 12, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »
Hallowed Be Thy Name is my second all time favorite song after learning To Live.

I know you mentioned that you couldn't do a top 20, which is totally understandable, but is there a handful of songs that did stand out for you?

I will spitball a top 20-25 list while eyeballing the discography...

Prowler
Phantom of the Opera
Killers
Prodigal Son
The Prisoner (this one went from just okay to great for me)
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Where Eagles Die
Revelations
The Duellists
Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
Alexander the Great
Moonchild
Paschendale
Journeyman (live version from Death on the Road)
These Colors Don't Run
The Longest Day
The Greater Good of God
The Legacy
Coming Home
Starblind
Where the Wild Wind Blows (live version from En Vivo!)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7297 on: October 12, 2021, 07:26:16 PM »
Hallowed is my all time favorite song, but maybe you got to go and see it live for it to truly click.  I'm kind of amused by the fact I saw the tour they didn't play it because of a lawsuit  :lol It's really the ONLY song I'd say IM should always play live

Regardless, I'm sure reading about the band before listening plays a role so sometimes the most liked song doesn't click because you expected so much from it.

Found these in a store over the weekend!

Never saw that beer before  :yarr

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7298 on: October 12, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »
Never saw that beer before  :yarr

The bottlecap is awesome!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7299 on: October 12, 2021, 07:29:27 PM »

Prowler
Phantom of the Opera
Killers
Prodigal Son
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Where Eagles Die
Revelations
The Duellists
Powerslave
Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
Alexander the Great
Moonchild
Paschendale
These Colors Don't Run
The Longest Day
The Greater Good of God
The Legacy
Coming Home
Starblind

Some great tunes in there!  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7300 on: October 12, 2021, 07:30:54 PM »

Prowler
Phantom of the Opera
Killers
Prodigal Son
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Where Eagles Die
Revelations
The Duellists
Powerslave
Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
Alexander the Great
Moonchild
Paschendale
These Colors Don't Run
The Longest Day
The Greater Good of God
The Legacy
Coming Home
Starblind

Some great tunes in there!  :metal

Ask me in two days and half of them might change. :lol

Although a few will not go anywhere (Powerslave, Alexander the Great, For the Greater Good of God, The Number of the Beast, etc.).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7301 on: October 12, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »
For The Greater Good Of God is my 3rd favorite of the Reunion Era behind The Talisman and Coming Home. Although The Parchment is knocking on its door.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7302 on: October 12, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
I suspect a few songs from the last two albums will be more to my liking once I give them more listens.  I do like Empire of the Clouds a ton, but that feels like one of those really long songs that I will only need to hear once in a while, not one I will want to hear all the time.

The live version of Dance of Death from En Vivo! is pretty great as well. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7303 on: October 12, 2021, 07:42:51 PM »
Hallowed might not crack my top 20 based on the album version (not that there's anything "bad" about the album version--there isn't).  But it is such a great live song that that takes it over the top for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #7304 on: October 12, 2021, 07:51:14 PM »

Prowler
Phantom of the Opera
Killers
Prodigal Son
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Where Eagles Die
Revelations
The Duellists
Powerslave
Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
Alexander the Great
Moonchild
Paschendale
These Colors Don't Run
The Longest Day
The Greater Good of God
The Legacy
Coming Home
Starblind

This is an awesome list. I was a bit disappointed by your initial reaction to TFF, but seeing Starblind and Wild Wind on here makes up for that. :heart

Paschendale is the greatest, so it's wonderful to see it here, and you made some awesome picks from AMOLAD, SiT and PoM. Probably the top songs I would have chosen from each of those albums with the exception that I would put Stranger in a Strange Land a smidge above Sea of Madness.

Hallowed... is still a top 20 Iron Maiden song for me, but I probably wouldn't put it as high as I did on my list from a couple of years ago (I put it at #2). In my recent revisiting of their discography, I've really gone in even more for the proggier stuff, and while Hallowed is a wonderful early instance of that, I think there's deeper stuff later in their career. Still a great song, though.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7305 on: October 12, 2021, 07:54:07 PM »

This is an awesome list. I was a bit disappointed by your initial reaction to TFF, but seeing Starblind and Wild Wind on here makes up for that. :heart

Paschendale is the greatest, so it's wonderful to see it here, and you made some awesome picks from AMOLAD, SiT and PoM. Probably the top songs I would have chosen from each of those albums with the exception that I would put Stranger in a Strange Land a smidge above Sea of Madness.

Hallowed... is still a top 20 Iron Maiden song for me, but I probably wouldn't put it as high as I did on my list from a couple of years ago (I put it at #2). In my recent revisiting of their discography, I've really gone in even more for the proggier stuff, and while Hallowed is a wonderful early instance of that, I think there's deeper stuff later in their career. Still a great song, though.

Sea of Madness was similar to The Prisoner for me in that it went from me an okay deep cut to a favorite seemingly over night.

Despite my initial quibbles with the sound of The Final Frontier, and it is still a little irritating, the songs are there.  The Man Who Would Be King and Isle of Avalon are really good ones that didn't make my list above.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7306 on: October 12, 2021, 07:56:18 PM »

Despite my initial quibbles with the sound of The Final Frontier, and it is still a little irritating, the songs are there.  The Man Who Would Be King and Isle of Avalon are really good ones that didn't make my list above.

An amazing album. It's my favorite of the Reunion era.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7307 on: October 12, 2021, 07:59:23 PM »

Brave New World didn't get any love in my list, but there are a handful of damn fine tunes on that one. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7308 on: October 12, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »

Brave New World didn't get any love in my list, but there are a handful of damn fine tunes on that one.

Yeah, there are. It's loaded with great tunes. The Nomad and The Thin Line are the two standouts for me, but the Death On The Road version of Brave New World and the En Vivo version of Blood Brothers launch both tracks into the stratosphere.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7309 on: October 12, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »

Yeah, there are. It's loaded with great tunes. The Nomad and The Thin Line are the two standouts for me, but the Death On The Road version of Brave New World and the En Vivo version of Blood Brothers launch both tracks into the stratosphere.

Yep, The Nomad is a major standout, along with Ghost of the Navigator and Blood Brothers.  The Thin Line... is still one that is iffy for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7310 on: October 12, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
For The Greater Good Of God is my 3rd favorite of the Reunion Era behind The Talisman and Coming Home. Although The Parchment is knocking on its door.

The Parchment might crack my all time Maiden top 5.  I can't get enough of it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7311 on: October 12, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »
Yeah, I have some developing opinions on my Iron Maiden rankings. I'm going to mull it over a bit more, but suffice to say, the Reunion Era is crushing it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7312 on: October 12, 2021, 09:07:20 PM »
Yeah, I have some developing opinions on my Iron Maiden rankings. I'm going to mull it over a bit more, but suffice to say, the Reunion Era is crushing it.

Hell on Earth probably slips in my top 10.  These two songs are extrodinary.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7313 on: October 13, 2021, 12:21:22 AM »

Hmmm....Ill have to revisit the DOTR version of BNW then.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7314 on: October 13, 2021, 02:30:51 AM »
Part Two:

Somewhere in Time I love this album, this was the first new Iron Maiden album released after I became a fan. I’ve always loved those “cul-de-sac” albums that some bands have released, where they experiment with a slightly different direction and then chose not to take that path, and this is probably the ultimate cul-de-sac album, coming as it does between the two high-points in the band’s career. I also love the way the album has a definite sequencing – both sides open and close with a Steve Haris epic, with two more commercial tracks in between. You can play side 2 first, then side 1, and the album stilll has exactly the same flow. Wasted Years is unlike anything I’d ever heard before, Sea of Madness is brilliant, and Heaven Can Wait an all-time classic, I really don’t understand people who don’t love this song, before ‘Arry wrote Fear of the Dark this was the big sing-along anthem at shows. Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favourite Maiden songs of all time, and Alexanader the Great manages to recreate something of To Tame A Land without repeating it. The other big Harris tunes are good enough in isolation, but with 4 epics on the album, they do tend to sound a bit much of a muchness.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son The 80s tinny production does it no favours, but this is still Maiden’s best album. Every track is a scorcher, including The Prophecy, which I still love. The intro to Moonchild still manages to send chills up my spine and get my fist punching the air, Infinite Dreams is the point at which Harris abandons any pretence at verse-chorus song structure, the singles are sing-along classics, and the ending of the title track, with the second half being instrumental, is one of Maiden’s greatest and most under-appreciated moments. Even after all these years I can still sing along with every word, every note. I love it.
Note: I’m listening to the 1998 EMI remasters, and this is the first album I’ve had a problem with – the remastering is brickwalled to death and is truly, truly horrible, it’s a screech of clipped cymbals and actively hurt my ears. I wish I’d still got the original 1988 CD to compare it to. I note the booklet doesn’t include any remastering credits, all the albums so far have, but after this they don’t. This version is all but unlistenable - Does anyone know if the new remaster is any better?

No Prayer for the Dying Oh dear. I understand the band’s desire to go back to a more basic sound, but they don’t quite manage it, and let’s be honest, the songs aren’t there, with too much juvenile humour sneaking into the lyrics. Fates Warning is the worst Maiden song to date, truly, truly terrible, but apart from that there’s nothing particularly bad on here, just nothing that good either, most of it is simply turgid. That said, the band is on top form throughout, with Bruce especially giving it 100% even on the duff tunes. The best stuff is on side 2, The Assassin is a pleasant surprise, with Jannick Gers’ scratchy guitars offering something new and different. Hooks In You is probably the best of the commercial songs, and really shows how the band would miss Adrian Smith as a songwriter. I really, really wanted to hate Bring Your Daughter…To The Slaughter, but I couldn’t, it is enormous fun, and I loved every minute of it. Still, this is a contender for Maiden’s weakest album, and coming straight after their best makes it even more disappointing.

Fear of the Dark The received wisdom on this album is that the first and last songs are great, but everything inbetween is filler. That’s not far from the truth. The album has a big, open sound, and is well mixed, but the advent of the CD age meant that albums were getting longer, and yet again Maiden lacked quality material. A shorter album would definitely have helped. Be Quick or Be Dead is a great opener, Afraid to Shoot Strangers is a classic, but Bruce sounds like he’s going through the motions, Blaze always sang this one so much better. I’ve always liked Fear is the Key, with its odd little Zeppelin-style interlude, a real highlight of the album for me. Wasted Love sounds great, but the song itself isn’t good enough to be the big power ballad hit I guess they were hoping for, they should have gotten Dianne Warren to write something for them instead. Biggest surprise was The Apparition, I loved this one! Biggest disappointment was Weekend Warrior, a truly awful track that shouldn’t have made it onto a B-side, let alone an album track. The title song is a classic, of course, but I’d never realised the recorded version was so fast. Overall, the album has a lot of contrasting styles on it, which doesn’t always work and leaves the whole thing feeling a bit directionless. I actually enjoyed it less than NPFTD, although it is probably marginally a better album. Still can’t believe how much Weekend Warrior sucks though.

So bye-bye Bruce. Next up, Part Three, and enter Blaze…
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:52:02 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."