Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572735 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7210 on: October 04, 2021, 08:33:47 AM »
I still think that Book of Souls is better, but I enjoy the hell out of Senjutsu. It doesn't bore me at all, and the last three songs are not difficult to get through.

I think that somehow Book of Souls manages to sound a bit fresh and unusual for their standards, even if they use the same tricks, however with Senjutsu the "eh, heard this before" feel is strong throughout. Still, I love the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7211 on: October 04, 2021, 08:35:26 AM »
So inspired by this thread I thought I’d listen to all the albums in order and share something of my thoughts. The principle thing that stands out for me on re-listening is just how original and different this band were. You can’t describe their music by saying “oh, they sound a bit like….” because there’s nothing before or since that they even sound a little bit like. They sound like Iron Maiden, no one else, and that is the source of their genius.

Full disclosure – I’ve loved Maiden since I was at school. They were the first metal band I’d heard, the first band I loved, and the band that got be into being a music fan. I’m biased, I love this band. Anyway, lets take a time machine back to 1980…

Iron Maiden.
What a debut, this sounded like nothing else at the time and must have blown people away on hearing it, unique and totally original. It’s got all the attitude of punk, but it’s metal. Prowler is the perfect opener, laying all it’s cards on the table despite some dodgy lyrics. Remember Tomorrow brings the melodic sensibilities, and Phantom of the Opera is like nothing else on Earth, a metal gallop through proggy time signatures and key changes. No one listening to this in 1980 had ever heard anything quite like it. The final track is the perfect closer, pulling together the various sounds of the album into one simple signature tune, Iron Maiden’s gonna get ya! Only weak spot for me is Charlotte the Harlot, something that I imagine worked well live but is a bit of a slog on the recorded version. What amazes me most about this album is what a great band this was, Di’Anno is a great singer, Den Stratton a great guitarist. I wish there was more of this line-up, as listening to this album always leaves me hungry to hear what they would record next.

Killers. Enter Adrian Smith and that big Martin Birch production. Maiden gained a lot here, but they also lost something of the rawness of the first album. This is the first album that sounds like Maiden, but let’s be honest, the songs aren’t there. I’ve never really connected with this album. The mixing seems to smooth off the raw edges of Di’Anno’s voice, which isn’t a good thing. Songs like Innocent Exile and Another Life are so forgettable you forget what they sound like while you’re listening to them. Oddest of all is Prodigal Son, where Maiden break out the acoustic guitars and play something folky that could be early Rush or Jethro Tull, it’s a fascinating insight into a road not travelled.

The Number of The Beast. Well, if there were doubts on the last album about the singer’s voice not really suiting the material, they’re blown out of the water here. Dickinson’s debut is stunning, not only probably the best Maiden album, but one of the best albums of all time in any genre. It thumps you in the gut from first to last and every song is a killer. Invaders always struck me as a strange choice for opener, but it isn’t, it really works, and is a superb appetiser for Children of the Damned, which really shows off what the band’s new air-raid siren of a vocalist could do. But the real meat is on side two, the title track, with it’s spoken word intro, and the all time classic Run to the Hills. Gangland isn’t bad, despite it’s reputation, but it’s the weakest song here by far. Clive Burr’s drumming is on point throughout, it’s never been clear why they sacked him, I’ve always assumed it was to make room for his replacement. Hallowed Be Thy Name gives the band their best song so far, their Stairway to Heaven or Freebird. Can you think of any other band that could have recorded this? Thought not.

Piece of Mind. I always dismiss this album as it’s sandwiched between the previous album, possibly the band’s best, and the next, one of my faves. But I’m doing it a disservice, as every time I listen to it I’m reminded just how good it is. Where Eagles Dare is all about the drums, Nicko McBrain making it clear from the start why he is one of the world’s best drummers. Revalations has more than a touch of Rush about it, Flight of Icarus has those multi-tracked vocals that make it clear the band are chasing US radio play. The Trooper is amazing, of course. Both Still Life and Sun and Steel are great songs, but often overlooked as Quest for Fire is so bad it drags the neighbouring songs down with it. To Tame A Land is… well, I could write an entire book about this one. Brilliant, utterly unique, utterly original, mental, insane, there’s bits of Yes and Zappa in there, and it’s the point at which Steve Harris throws away the rule book. He’d written great songs before, but everything he’s written since owes it’s creation to this. An utter masterpiece. It’s also complete garbage, of course, with cringeworthy lyrics. That’s how you can tell something is genius, it manages to be brilliant and awful at the same time.

Powerslave. The first thing that hits you about this is the fact that it doesn’t actually start with Churchill’s Speech, like I’d assumed, it just goes straight into Aces High. The second thing is the mix, wide and expansive, that big 80s rock sound, all high-end and not enough bass. The drums in particular sound tinny, and a little lower in the mix. But the music! This one and Seventh Son have always flip-flopped for my favourite Maiden album. Two Minutes to Midnight is insanely good, Losfa Words is rocking good fun, Flash of the Blade sounds like a single that never was and would fit in well on the next album.  Back In the Village is my favourite song on the album, at the time I’d never heard anything so fast, so precise, so metal. What is wrong with people who don’t like this one? The album ends with two undisputed classics, Powerslave, with its monster driving riff and Bruce switching effortlessly between menacing growl and operatic scream, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, yet another classic that only Maiden could have produced. Silly, bombastic, theatrical, pantomimic and over-the-top? You bet!

What is most amazing about these albums is the fact that in 5 short years they go from being a pub band in the east end of London to selling out arenas around the world, and the quite remarkable development of their music in that time. And back then they did it the hard way, endless touring, word of mouth, and no radio play.  Part two to follow…
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7212 on: October 04, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
So inspired by this thread I thought I’d listen to all the albums in order and share something of my thoughts. The principle thing that stands out for me on re-listening is just how original and different this band were. You can’t describe their music by saying “oh, they sound a bit like….” because there’s nothing before or since that they even sound a little bit like. They sound like Iron Maiden, no one else, and that is the source of their genius.

Full disclosure – I’ve loved Maiden since I was at school. They were the first metal band I’d heard, the first band I loved, and the band that got be into being a music fan. I’m biased, I love this band. Anyway, lets take a time machine back to 1980…

Iron Maiden.
What a debut, this sounded like nothing else at the time and must have blown people away on hearing it, unique and totally original. It’s got all the attitude of punk, but it’s metal. Prowler is the perfect opener, laying all it’s cards on the table despite some dodgy lyrics. Remember Tomorrow brings the melodic sensibilities, and Phantom of the Opera is like nothing else on Earth, a metal gallop through proggy time signatures and key changes. No one listening to this in 1980 had ever heard anything quite like it. The final track is the perfect closer, pulling together the various sounds of the album into one simple signature tune, Iron Maiden’s gonna get ya! Only weak spot for me is Charlotte the Harlot, something that I imagine worked well live but is a bit of a slog on the recorded version. What amazes me most about this album is what a great band this was, Di’Anno is a great singer, Den Stratton a great guitarist. I wish there was more of this line-up, as listening to this album always leaves me hungry to hear what they would record next.

Killers. Enter Adrian Smith and that big Martin Birch production. Maiden gained a lot here, but they also lost something of the rawness of the first album. This is the first album that sounds like Maiden, but let’s be honest, the songs aren’t there. I’ve never really connected with this album. The mixing seems to smooth off the raw edges of Di’Anno’s voice, which isn’t a good thing. Songs like Innocent Exile and Another Life are so forgettable you forget what they sound like while you’re listening to them. Oddest of all is Prodigal Son, where Maiden break out the acoustic guitars and play something folky that could be early Rush or Jethro Tull, it’s a fascinating insight into a road not travelled.

The Number of The Beast. Well, if there were doubts on the last album about the singer’s voice not really suiting the material, they’re blown out of the water here. Dickinson’s debut is stunning, not only probably the best Maiden album, but one of the best albums of all time in any genre. It thumps you in the gut from first to last and every song is a killer. Invaders always struck me as a strange choice for opener, but it isn’t, it really works, and is a superb appetiser for Children of the Damned, which really shows off what the band’s new air-raid siren of a vocalist could do. But the real meat is on side two, the title track, with it’s spoken word intro, and the all time classic Run to the Hills. Gangland isn’t bad, despite it’s reputation, but it’s the weakest song here by far. Clive Burr’s drumming is on point throughout, it’s never been clear why they sacked him, I’ve always assumed it was to make room for his replacement. Hallowed Be Thy Name gives the band their best song so far, their Stairway to Heaven or Freebird. Can you think of any other band that could have recorded this? Thought not.

Piece of Mind. I always dismiss this album as it’s sandwiched between the previous album, possibly the band’s best, and the next, one of my faves. But I’m doing it a disservice, as every time I listen to it I’m reminded just how good it is. Where Eagles Dare is all about the drums, Nicko McBrain making it clear from the start why he is one of the world’s best drummers. Revalations has more than a touch of Rush about it, Flight of Icarus has those multi-tracked vocals that make it clear the band are chasing US radio play. The Trooper is amazing, of course. Both Still Life and Sun and Steel are great songs, but often overlooked as Quest for Fire is so bad it drags the neighbouring songs down with it. To Tame A Land is… well, I could write an entire book about this one. Brilliant, utterly unique, utterly original, mental, insane, there’s bits of Yes and Zappa in there, and it’s the point at which Steve Harris throws away the rule book. He’d written great songs before, but everything he’s written since owes it’s creation to this. An utter masterpiece. It’s also complete garbage, of course, with cringeworthy lyrics. That’s how you can tell something is genius, it manages to be brilliant and awful at the same time.

Powerslave. The first thing that hits you about this is the fact that it doesn’t actually start with Churchill’s Speech, like I’d assumed, it just goes straight into Aces High. The second thing is the mix, wide and expansive, that big 80s rock sound, all high-end and not enough bass. The drums in particular sound tinny, and a little lower in the mix. But the music! This one and Seventh Son have always flip-flopped for my favourite Maiden album. Two Minutes to Midnight is insanely good, Losfa Words is rocking good fun, Flash of the Blade sounds like a single that never was and would fit in well on the next album.  Back In the Village is my favourite song on the album, at the time I’d never heard anything so fast, so precise, so metal. What is wrong with people who don’t like this one? The album ends with two undisputed classics, Powerslave, with its monster driving riff and Bruce switching effortlessly between menacing growl and operatic scream, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, yet another classic that only Maiden could have produced. Silly, bombastic, theatrical, pantomimic and over-the-top? You bet!

What is most amazing about these albums is the fact that in 5 short years they go from being a pub band in the east end of London to selling out arenas around the world, and the quite remarkable development of their music in that time. And back then they did it the hard way, endless touring, word of mouth, and no radio play.  Part two to follow…

Love your insight.  Quibble with the comments about Killers (it's in my top five Maiden albums easily, maybe top three, and my friend considers it his favorite album of all time by any band), and the bold is incomprehensible; that guitar line by Murray is just amazing. But the rest is fun to read!

Offline 425

« Reply #7213 on: October 04, 2021, 09:32:28 AM »
I think that somehow Book of Souls manages to sound a bit fresh and unusual for their standards, even if they use the same tricks, however with Senjutsu the "eh, heard this before" feel is strong throughout. Still, I love the album.

I think The Book of Souls is a little bit of a step sideways off of the trajectory they were following on the previous albums, and then Senjutsu is a return to being straight on that trajectory. If you erased my memory of when the Iron Maiden albums were released and asked me to put them in chronological order, I think I would put AMOLAD, TFF and Senjutsu all together, and not be quite sure where to put Book of Souls. It has elements that feel like the next step from TFF, particularly Empire of the Clouds, which feels like the culmination of their progressive trend, and it has elements that feel familiar to the AMOLAD/TFF/Senjutsu set, like the title track, The Red and the Black, and The Great Unknown. But it also has something like Death or Glory, which really hearkens back to their 80s sound (Speed of Light, too, to a lesser extent), and songs like The Man of Sorrows and If Eternity Should Fail, which are hard to place.

I've really felt this way ever since The Book of Souls came out. It felt like a follow-up to TFF in some ways, but it also had elements that reached back to an earlier era of the band, and elements that I couldn't really place. I never really voiced this feeling, because TBoS was the first Maiden album that came out after I became a fan, so I thought there was a good chance my experience of the album was skewed. But now that Senjutsu is out, I'm a lot more confident that I was on to something.

I think for someone like me, who's a huge fan of the AMOLAD/TFF sound, TBoS being a bit of a step sideways off the path was a bit disappointing. But I can see those same features making TBoS more appealing in certain ways to someone who's more of an 80s fan. I'm optimistic that now that I have Senjutsu, the follow-up to TFF that I hoped to hear for 10 years, I'll be able to appreciate The Book of Souls more for what it is (not that I didn't like it a lot, but there's been some slight lingering disappointment).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7214 on: October 04, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »
Not to drift too far off topic, but a buddy at work and I were talking about the early days and the Maiden Japan EP in particular, and I got to wondering.

Did they ever release a full Dianno show anywhere? I’m curious what a full Killers set would look/sound like.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7215 on: October 04, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
According to discogs, No.
The only official release of a 'full show' with Di'Anno was the 'Live At The Rainbow' VHS/Beta from 1980.
That included an early version of Killers, prior to it's release.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7216 on: October 04, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »
Not to drift too far off topic, but a buddy at work and I were talking about the early days and the Maiden Japan EP in particular, and I got to wondering.

Did they ever release a full Dianno show anywhere? I’m curious what a full Killers set would look/sound like.

It's a bootleg, but with a good/solid quality, worth checking out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQYEtlBpLs

Iron Maiden - Maiden Japan Special Edition (1981)
01. Wratchild
02. Purgatory
03. Sanctuary
04. Remember Tomorrow
05. Another Life (Drum Solo)
06. Genghis Khan
07. Killers
08. Innocent Exile
09. Twilight Zone
10. Strange World
11. Murders In The Rue Morgue
12. Phantom Of The Opera
13. Iron Maiden
14. Running Free
15. Transylvania (Guitar Solo)
16. Drifter
17. I've Got The Fire (cover do Montrose)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7217 on: October 04, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
Maiden Japan is great even if it's not official.  It's basically the best you're going to get for a full Paul concert. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7218 on: October 05, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »
Serious question: is there anywhere to buy or find digital versions of the original releases of their 80s albums? Looks like the 2015 remastered versions are all brickwalled to death (and supposedly the 1998 ones weren't good either), and I'd rather get the original, cleaner versions.

PM sent :)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7219 on: October 05, 2021, 04:03:00 PM »
Serious question: is there anywhere to buy or find digital versions of the original releases of their 80s albums? Looks like the 2015 remastered versions are all brickwalled to death (and supposedly the 1998 ones weren't good either), and I'd rather get the original, cleaner versions.

PM sent :)

Qobuz is my favorite site.

Offline bobzor

« Reply #7220 on: October 06, 2021, 04:19:28 AM »
So inspired by this thread I thought I’d listen to all the albums in order and share something of my thoughts.

Great post! Give us part two now, please!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7221 on: October 06, 2021, 06:04:15 PM »
Quick update:

Brave New World was quite good. I liked about 2/3 of a lot.

Dance of Death is good, but I hate the sound of it.  Too muddy and too hot.  Some really good songs, but it is a struggle to get through some of them because of the sound. I doubt I will revisit that one much.

And then there is A Matter of Life and Death, which is just tremendous.  Easily their best of the 00s albums, IMO. 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7222 on: October 06, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
Quick update:

Dance of Death is good, but I hate the sound of it.  Too muddy and too hot.  Some really good songs, but it is a struggle to get through some of them because of the sound. I doubt I will revisit that one much.

And then there is A Matter of Life and Death, which is just tremendous.  Easily their best of the 00s albums, IMO.

Mostly agree with all that although prefer BNW over AMOLAD purely for it being a little more traditional Maiden which is clearly what they needed it to be at that time.

AMOLAD saw them branching out more and was definitely one of their best post-reunion albums \m/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:36:20 PM by WardySI »

Offline 425

« Reply #7223 on: October 06, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »
Quick update:

Oh man, I'm really glad to hear that AMOLAD connected with you. It is absolutely a monumental album. And you liking it that much bodes well for the remaining albums. Glad you liked BNW, too, which I think is just a really good, reliable album, even though I like a lot of their other albums better.

DoD is indeed badly produced. It's now in the top half of my Maiden ranking, but I think the bad master job was a barrier to me being able to digest it for a long time. If you return to anything from it, return to Paschendale, which is my favorite Iron Maiden song (and I think a favorite of many reunion-era fans). There's an awesome live version of it from Death on the Road that isn't mastered quite so hot.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7224 on: October 06, 2021, 07:25:26 PM »
A Matter of Life and Death is why multiple listens are often needed.

The first listen was like, "Eh, I don't know about this one."

The second listen was like, "Hot damn, this is great stuff."

And I am still working my way through it, as there are a lot of layers, and there is still a lot of meat for me to chew. :coolio :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7225 on: October 06, 2021, 07:33:28 PM »
I consider A Matter Of Life And Death to be the Reunion Era's landmark album. I personally prefer The Final Frontier, but I recognize AMOLAD's place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7226 on: October 06, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »
If there are any songs on The Final Frontier as good as These Colours Don't Run, The Legacy, For the Greater Good of God or The Longest Day, I'll be pleased. 

Going back to the BNW, The Nomad is stellar.

Offline 425

« Reply #7227 on: October 06, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »
The Nomad is one that's so easy to overlook (I overlook it too often myself), but is a really good piece.

I wouldn't argue with AMOLAD as the landmark album of the reunion era. It certainly tread important, fresh ground for the first time, and has some absolutely massive songs (Kev lists many of the ones I would; I would add at minimum Lord of Light). That may be enough to make it the landmark album, ahead of some others that didn't do as much to establish a distinct new musical approach. But in terms of quality, I do think it has been surpassed once (by its immediate successor) and may have just been surpassed again.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7228 on: October 06, 2021, 09:19:36 PM »
Early thoughts are I don't see any way The Final Frontier equals or surpasses A Matter of Life and Death, simply because the mix is too hot and the music sounds muddy and the melodies buried.  Ugh, that is so frustrating. Feels like there is a lot of good stuff on there, but the music just isn't able to breathe.  :censored :censored

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7229 on: October 07, 2021, 01:20:23 AM »
Why 'Sea Of Madness' is so awesome
https://youtu.be/nkH1FNvrGfE

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7230 on: October 07, 2021, 02:32:15 AM »
I love to quote a correct opinion.  :tup

I also have a feeling that, if you liked the production on AMOLAD, maybe you will not be too thrilled about the way the last two albums sound. AMOLAD felt raw, but the last two albums actually sound raw.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 05:48:45 AM by Mladen »

Offline DTA

« Reply #7231 on: October 07, 2021, 05:36:46 AM »
If there are any songs on The Final Frontier as good as These Colours Don't Run, The Legacy, For the Greater Good of God or The Longest Day, I'll be pleased. 

The Longest Day is one I don't see mentioned too often, but I think it's one of the best of the reunion era. The chorus is one of their catchiest and the one melody in the bridge is so anthemic. Where The Wild Wind Blows and The Talisman are the standouts of TFF, and the title track + intro is a really cool way to open an album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7232 on: October 07, 2021, 05:39:37 AM »
The highlights for me on TFF is The Talisman and Coming Home.

"Westwards the tiiiiide
Sail by the talismaaaan"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #7233 on: October 07, 2021, 05:52:15 AM »
Everyone praises The Talisman but I fail to see what's so special about it. I mean it's good, but my standout tracks on FF are Coming Home, Isle Of Avalon and When The Wild Wind Blows.

And I tend to say that BNW is still the best reunion album. But that may well be for the reason that it was a true return to form, after those 90s records and the failed Blaze experiment.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7234 on: October 07, 2021, 06:10:32 AM »

BNW is easily Dave's finest hour in terms of songwriting IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7235 on: October 07, 2021, 06:12:18 AM »

The Longest Day is one I don't see mentioned too often, but I think it's one of the best of the reunion era. The chorus is one of their catchiest and the one melody in the bridge is so anthemic. Where The Wild Wind Blows and The Talisman are the standouts of TFF, and the title track + intro is a really cool way to open an album.

I always thought The Longest Day got heaps of mentions. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7236 on: October 07, 2021, 06:12:25 AM »
I love to quote a correct opinion.  :tup

I also have a feeling that, if you liked the production on AMOLAD, maybe you will not be too thrilled about the way the last two albums sound. AMOLAD felt raw, but the last two albums actually sound raw.

I will be going into the two newest albums with tempered expectations because of just that.  Two of their last three in my run through (Dance of Death, The Final Frontier) have major sound issues, and if that continues, it will be hard to get a lot of enjoyment out of the last two.  I am not a fan of listening to music where it sounds like it is struggling to breathe and like someone threw a blanket over my speakers.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7237 on: October 07, 2021, 06:13:21 AM »
Everyone praises The Talisman but I fail to see what's so special about it. I mean it's good, but my standout tracks on FF are Coming Home, Isle Of Avalon and When The Wild Wind Blows.

And I tend to say that BNW is still the best reunion album. But that may well be for the reason that it was a true return to form, after those 90s records and the failed Blaze experiment.

The Talisman has become a top 5 Maiden song.  The En Vivo version gave me more appreciation for it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7238 on: October 07, 2021, 06:13:27 AM »

I will have to listen to Where the Wild Wind Blows on its own, as I know that song is highly regarded, because by the time I got to it when listening to the whole album, I was so aggravated by how poor the album sounded that I was just ready for it to be over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7239 on: October 07, 2021, 06:15:14 AM »

Along with The Nomad, I also really like Blood Brothers, the title track and Ghost of the Navigator.  Those were easily my four favorites.  Dream of Mirrors and The Wicker Man are also good. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7240 on: October 07, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
Dave wrote Nomad, the title track and the incredible closer.

I've always rated BNW my fav reunion album but TFF may have trumped that now.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7241 on: October 07, 2021, 06:42:16 AM »

Along with The Nomad, I also really like Blood Brothers, the title track and Ghost of the Navigator.  Those were easily my four favorites.  Dream of Mirrors and The Wicker Man are also good.

Dream of Mirrors was an early favorite, but it doesn't rank as high for me now. One one my sleeper favorites of the record is the closer, The Thin Line...great performance from Bruce too.

Offline 425

« Reply #7242 on: October 07, 2021, 06:58:00 AM »

I will have to listen to Where the Wild Wind Blows on its own, as I know that song is highly regarded, because by the time I got to it when listening to the whole album, I was so aggravated by how poor the album sounded that I was just ready for it to be over.

There are also, as usual, live versions of about half the album (The Final Frontier, El Dorado, Coming Home, The Talisman, When the Wild Wind Blows). These all come on En Vivo!, which you may prefer from a production perspective. And the liveness elevates The Talisman quite a bit, as Kade mentioned.

But unfortunately there are no live versions for Isle of Avalon and Starblind, which are both among their best songs IMO.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7243 on: October 07, 2021, 07:06:42 AM »

I always thought The Longest Day got heaps of mentions.

The Longest Day is indeed an awesome song, the buildup is great and the chorus is stellar!

When I saw them live playing the whole thing, there's a line that in the studio version is low like all the verses, Bruce instead did scream "the world's alight, the cliff ERUPTS IN FLAMES!!!!", there were no pyros in that tour but he made me imagine them just by his powerful delivery  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7244 on: October 07, 2021, 07:19:19 AM »

What about the 2nd half of Thin Line? Some beautiful melodies in there.

Yes the sound of these albums is often trash which is a Steve Harris decision unfortunately.