Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573526 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7175 on: October 03, 2021, 02:26:50 PM »
Am I the only one that finds FOTD (the song) overrated?

All the best Maiden songs are overrated.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7176 on: October 03, 2021, 02:27:51 PM »

All the best Maiden songs are overrated.

Fair play.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7177 on: October 03, 2021, 02:34:47 PM »

Pretty sure WildRanger does too. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7178 on: October 03, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »

He posted his opinion on something?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7179 on: October 03, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »

Nah, just bustin' your balls.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7180 on: October 03, 2021, 03:06:33 PM »

Nope. That riff is abs fantabulous but the rest isn't.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7181 on: October 03, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
THAT SONG IS GREAT!!!!!!!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7182 on: October 03, 2021, 03:14:51 PM »
It's, like, a song about fear of, you know, the dark. You can tell because he sings "Fear Of The Dark" a thousand times and talks about feeling "anxious when it's dark".  ;D

I don't hate it but very rarely listen to it. But I know it's well loved. It really is a perfect Maiden riff. So neat.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #7183 on: October 03, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »
Fear of the Dark is as Iron Maiden as it gets, as much as The Trooper.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7184 on: October 03, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »

Nah, just bustin' your balls.

Duh.  I get it now!  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7185 on: October 03, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »
It's, like, a song about fear of, you know, the dark. You can tell because he sings "Fear Of The Dark" a thousand times and talks about feeling "anxious when it's dark".  ;D

I don't hate it but very rarely listen to it. But I know it's well loved. It really is a perfect Maiden riff. So neat.

I always hated the lyrics.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7186 on: October 03, 2021, 05:47:21 PM »
FOTD…by itself…is really just an average song. I honestly don’t think it even hit me as anything special when the album came out.

But when I got Best of the Beast and heard the live version :jawdrop:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7187 on: October 03, 2021, 05:48:37 PM »
You guys are tripping.

When that album came out, I was blasting that song all over the place.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #7188 on: October 03, 2021, 05:54:49 PM »
You guys are tripping.

Agree. That's song is an anthem. It's impossible not to go crazy when you hear it live.

Plus... Who cares about the lyrics? Imagine you can't play a brand new CD... Can you say that you don't like a song just reading the lyrics on the booklet?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7189 on: October 03, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
The lyrics are excellent. I'm going to pretend this last page didn't exist.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7190 on: October 03, 2021, 06:11:41 PM »
You guys are tripping.

The lyrics are excellent. I'm going to pretend this last page didn't exist.

This is coming from a guy that doesn't like Winger though.  So......

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7191 on: October 03, 2021, 06:29:29 PM »
I made a huge mistake years ago getting rid of my original pressing and buying the remasters.
Something I've done over the years, but stopped when I realised that most remasters sound not as good as the originals.

Back to Blaze, I don't think I've ever own VXI and my ex-wife stole TXF from me before we parted.
I have both coming to me (original masters) in the mail, UK pressing of VXI and Japan TXF with bonus 3 track CD.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7192 on: October 03, 2021, 06:33:17 PM »
I remember when my VXI was delivered when it was released. I came home from work, and my wife, knowing after an hour's ride, I normally would take a piss the minute I got home, positioned my VXI on the back of the toilet so as soon as I took my piss, I'd see it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7193 on: October 03, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »
Kev you’re doing great. Don’t worry about the few Blaze diehards.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7194 on: October 03, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
To this day I can still not understand how Blaze ever ended up in Maiden. To me, his singing on those 2 Maiden albums is just so pedestrian. His lower voice has some good tonal qualities but his mid to higher range is devoid of emotion and passion and I just can't connect with him.

It's great that he and his two Maiden albums have so many fans here but I am also really surprised at the amount of love for those albums. I've even gone back to revisit them because of all the positive comments but no, although I do like some of the songs, Blaze just doesn't work.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7195 on: October 03, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »
I wanna address that I never listened to the Fear of The Dark album until now. And I have to say this album is really, arena rock like The Scorpions, especially Childhoods End. I could see why it is not liked among the fan base. Also, Dickinsons vocals are different and seems as if he's dialing it in, or just wasn't enthused at the songs. Not saying his vocals suck on this, but I feel he could've done a way better job at these songs, and seeing Fear Of The Dark, the song, live shows me that Bruce could have done better. But that's me and my opinion.

I wouldn't say this album is bad. It's that it feels it would be a better album done by Helloween or Primal Fear. Rather than being an Iron Maiden album, which this sound the album has does not scream Iron Maiden and feels as if they're trying to emulate that sing along anthem. I can also hear the beginnings of the reunion sound on this album thanks in part to Janick.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7196 on: October 03, 2021, 08:31:52 PM »
To this day I can still not understand how Blaze ever ended up in Maiden. To me, his singing on those 2 Maiden albums is just so pedestrian. His lower voice has some good tonal qualities but his mid to higher range is devoid of emotion and passion and I just can't connect with him.

It's great that he and his two Maiden albums have so many fans here but I am also really surprised at the amount of love for those albums. I've even gone back to revisit them because of all the positive comments but no, although I do like some of the songs, Blaze just doesn't work.

I think it was more a case of the right personality fitting in with the band, SH wanted an English singer, for the humour and culture factors.
I am sure that there were better singers, but for whatever reason he was chosen and maybe Blaze was the wrong choice?
That said he was on a hiding to nothing, having to sing Bruce's songs in a key too high for him, which lead to him blowing his voice out on tour.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7197 on: October 03, 2021, 08:56:31 PM »

I think it was more a case of the right personality fitting in with the band, SH wanted an English singer, for the humour and culture factors.
I am sure that there were better singers, but for whatever reason he was chosen and maybe Blaze was the wrong choice?
That said he was on a hiding to nothing, having to sing Bruce's songs in a key too high for him, which lead to him blowing his voice out on tour.

Yes, I am sure you are right. I am coming from a pure vocal style/ability and the fact that Blaze couldn't sing Bruce's songs live in just another reason it just feels like such a bizarre choice to me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7198 on: October 03, 2021, 11:25:28 PM »
What happened to Iron Maiden in the 90s?
https://youtu.be/g-S6Dlbmg_4

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7199 on: October 04, 2021, 12:41:19 AM »
I posted a ton of positive feedback about the 80s stuff and got occasional feedback, yet I post some criticism about two albums that appear, no matter what corner of the internet you look, to be the band's two least popular albums, and here comes the pushback and nonstop chatter. 

In other words, I should just post criticism about the rest going forward if I want to generate any more convo about my journey.  :lol :lol :\ :\

I'll take the hit for you, Kev.

'90s Maiden is mostly crap.

There.  Come at me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7200 on: October 04, 2021, 01:44:29 AM »
You guys are tripping.

Agree. That's song is an anthem. It's impossible not to go crazy when you hear it live.

Plus... Who cares about the lyrics? Imagine you can't play a brand new CD... Can you say that you don't like a song just reading the lyrics on the booklet?

Everybody does. They wouldn't be the band they are if the lyrics and associated mental imagery were:

Kicks! Kicks! Licks!
Bananas and the fleece!
Fell my tyre!
The corn will be released!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7201 on: October 04, 2021, 03:33:32 AM »
I remember when my VXI was delivered when it was released. I came home from work, and my wife, knowing after an hour's ride, I normally would take a piss the minute I got home, positioned my VXI on the back of the toilet so as soon as I took my piss, I'd see it.

Outstanding haha!

I'm surprised no one took the opportunity to post some kind of joke with VXI being in the toilet.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7202 on: October 04, 2021, 03:40:49 AM »
I for one do not find it weird that the Blaze Bayley era gets commented on this much. It was such an odd time for the band and such a unique era, that it is getting debated to death even now. The X Factor is particularly divisive among the fanbase. Whether you post a positive or a negative comment on it, it will generate discussion.

That being said, I am looking forward to Kev's takes on Brave new world, Dance of death and so on. We'll have a more balanced discussion, given that most of the reunion albums are beloved by the fans.  ;D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7203 on: October 04, 2021, 04:43:37 AM »
Popped Killers on a few minutes ago while sat here beavering away.

Anyway, it just occurred to me how utterly amazing the drumming is on Genghis Khan and thought you might all need to know what I think :lol

Also, how come I've never noticed it before over the years? Crazy.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7204 on: October 04, 2021, 05:02:15 AM »
Agree even the Bruce fronted 90's Maiden releases blew compared to their 80's output, but like others said there were some winners to be had...

One song that seems to always escape comment is Fear of The Dark's 'The Fugitive' a seriously good song which fer these ears had a slight Only The Good Die Young vibe about it! :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #7205 on: October 04, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
The Fugitive is a fantastic song. Same with Judas Be My Guide. I think both just get lost in the middle of an unpopular album that is dominated by the title track.

Does Childhoods End remind anyone of a Script-era Marillion song? Not a specific one but the overall style (especially during the tom rolls). And does From Here To Eternity remind anyone of The Clairvoyant? I think the melodies are a bit too close.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7206 on: October 04, 2021, 06:01:51 AM »
Popped Killers on a few minutes ago while sat here beavering away.

Anyway, it just occurred to me how utterly amazing the drumming is on Genghis Khan and thought you might all need to know what I think :lol

Also, how come I've never noticed it before over the years? Crazy.

Nice. Clive was just fantastic on Killers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7207 on: October 04, 2021, 06:53:57 AM »
I made a huge mistake years ago getting rid of my original pressing and buying the remasters.
Something I've done over the years, but stopped when I realised that most remasters sound not as good as the originals.

Back to Blaze, I don't think I've ever own VXI and my ex-wife stole TXF from me before we parted.
I have both coming to me (original masters) in the mail, UK pressing of VXI and Japan TXF with bonus 3 track CD.

THAT'S what she stole?!?    :) :) :)

Is that cool, as in "I'm going to do something nice for my sweetie", or was she subliminally giving her commentary on the quality of the album??   :) :)

EDIT:  For the record, I wrote that before I saw Wolfie's post!  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7208 on: October 04, 2021, 06:56:18 AM »

Kicks! Kicks! Licks!
Bananas and the fleece!
Fell my tyre!
The corn will be released!

Yeah, but now I'm intrigued; where are the rest of the lyrics?  I want to know what that song is about!    :) :) :)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7209 on: October 04, 2021, 08:11:40 AM »
I unfortunately can't really get into Senjutsu. I see some people comparing it to The X Factor, perhaps that is why it does not click with me as I find that one to be quite boring. Now I don't find this one bad or boring perse, but I can't say the album is enticing me for more listens. Glad to see many are enjoying it more than I am though.

Listened to Book of Souls again and I still love it. To me it has much more exciting moments and vocals that catch my attention.