Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572643 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7105 on: October 01, 2021, 01:10:57 AM »
2 putting Parchment second last, Wowsers!!  :o
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7106 on: October 01, 2021, 01:59:56 AM »
Keep in mind that it's still a good song that I find VERY intriquing. I'm returning to it quite often. It's just that I cannot make heads or tails of that structure.  :lol

What does bother me about it, though, is that the entire vocal line is doubled by the guitar. It's a bit much.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7107 on: October 01, 2021, 02:12:23 AM »
1. Hell on Earth
2. Death of the Celts
3. Time Machine
4. The Parchment
5. Senjutsu
6. Lost in a Lost World
7. Writing on the Wall
8. Darkest Hour
9. Stratego
10. Days of Future Past

This really is a superb album – even though DoFP got the bottom spot, I've still got a lot of love for it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7108 on: October 01, 2021, 02:38:04 AM »
I wouldn't know how to put them all in order, but Lost in a Lost Word and The Parchment grew a lot on me.

Lost in a Lost world felt at first like the classic Harris song, but I really got into it and all the final verses are beautiful.

The Parchment is fucking insane. Apples and oranges, but there are dozens of DT songs with a much safer structure than this one. A couple of verses, then for no apparent reason at all an endless string of solos after solos, then another section that grows and grows until finally launching into the faster and bombastic finale? wow!!!

Death of the Celts is as lovely and fun as pointless, and maybe it's the only one where I really feel the solo section goes on too long, and when it comes back it's just to quickly end the song, but what a ride it is.

And of course Hell on Earth is fantastic, pity for the last few minutes that meander a bit.

Time Machine is definitively my least favorite. Senjutsu is weird as opener, but there was no better song to start the album with, and while my initial thoughts were "it should have picked up the pace and went faster after the second chorus", I wouldn't know where to place a faster section, the song is good as it is.

Darkest Hour is very emotional, and the two "singles" are very cool, Stratego is so catchy, also in this case pity that the post-chorus (I hear you calling my name....) comes only once. And as I said, the solos on WotW are superb, especially the second one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7109 on: October 01, 2021, 03:21:38 AM »
As a couple of others have said, Senjutsu is just such a consistent album from start to finish. Because of that, I don't think I could really rank the songs against each other. That said, I would probably rank Days of Future Past and Darkest Hour below everything else. I quite like them both and Darkest Hour has stellar solos but I think every other track is a cut above those two.

Oh, and I think Hell on Earth should be five minutes longer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:34:07 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7110 on: October 01, 2021, 03:25:53 AM »
Which of the songs do you think they will play live? Are all of them up for grabs?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7111 on: October 01, 2021, 04:21:54 AM »
Which of the songs do you think they will play live? Are all of them up for grabs?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to them playing the whole thing live.

I just really hope The Parchment gets in the set.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7112 on: October 01, 2021, 05:30:58 AM »
Bruce seemingly thinks that it would be cool to do a short and scaled down tour for the diehard fans where they play the whole thing.

If they use the 5-6 new songs approach as usual, I'd reckon they'd play:

- Senjutsu (title track and opener)
- Stratego and The Writing on the Wall (singles)
- Hell on Earth (epic and seemingly fan favorite)
- Darkest Hour (ballad moment)
- Either one out of Lost in a Lost World or Death of the Celts
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7113 on: October 01, 2021, 05:53:07 AM »
Serious question: is there anywhere to buy or find digital versions of the original releases of their 80s albums? Looks like the 2015 remastered versions are all brickwalled to death (and supposedly the 1998 ones weren't good either), and I'd rather get the original, cleaner versions.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7114 on: October 01, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »
Serious question: is there anywhere to buy or find digital versions of the original releases of their 80s albums? Looks like the 2015 remastered versions are all brickwalled to death (and supposedly the 1998 ones weren't good either), and I'd rather get the original, cleaner versions.

Can't answer this, I'm afraid... but I've just started buying the initial CD releases of the early albums for this very reason since I've only got the 1998 remasters (I remember them coming out a couple at a time. Was all rather exciting since additional material was contained on the discs). During the run-up to Sentjutsu's release, I listened to one album per day in chronological order on very good headphones. And my goodness, yes, those 1998 remasters really aren't too good.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7115 on: October 01, 2021, 06:10:06 AM »
I bought the 1998 remasters as I got into the band around that time (1998-1999). I listened to the 2015 remasters a few years back, and I don't really mind them. They sound better than the 1998 ones, as the 2015 remasters seem to have more punch and weight to them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7116 on: October 01, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »
I have heard some of the versions from the original albums on YT and they sound way better than the 2015 remasters that are also there.  The 2015 ones might have more weight and punch, but the originals sound like they are of their time, while the remasters sound a bit too modern (not just in the brickwalling, but in everything).  I am rarely a fan of this trend of trying to remove the time period out of older albums, so I will continue my search for the originals.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7117 on: October 01, 2021, 07:25:39 AM »
Those original albums sound so good; there is good separation, good dynamics... I love them.  I'm not that huge a fan of the recent trend of making every album - even the ones that aren't 'brickwalled' - a wall of sound.   There's something to letting the instruments breath.   It worked for The Beatles, the Stones and (especially) Led Zeppelin....

Offline krands85

« Reply #7118 on: October 01, 2021, 07:34:02 AM »
I still can't properly rank the songs yet, but every track is good or better.

My favourite part of the album is the second half of The Parchment though, so it's probably the frontrunner for my number 1.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7119 on: October 01, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »
Days Of Future Past
Hell On Earth
The Time Machine
Writing On The Wall
Lost In A Lost World
Senjutsu
Stratego
The Parchment
Death Of The Celts
Darkest Hour

But it's a little early for me really. I like Darkest Hour, even though I sometimes skip it. There are no stinkers here. Great, great record. They done us proud.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7120 on: October 01, 2021, 07:44:46 AM »
Bruce seemingly thinks that it would be cool to do a short and scaled down tour for the diehard fans where they play the whole thing.
I would pay good money to see that. They should play the entire new album and close out the show with three tracks from the reunion era. The Wicker man, Rainmaker and Coming home would do. And maybe throw in Fear of the dark and Iron Maiden, because those are never absent.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7121 on: October 01, 2021, 07:55:54 AM »
I would pay good money to see that. They should play the entire new album and close out the show with three tracks from the reunion era. The Wicker man, Rainmaker and Coming home would do. And maybe throw in Fear of the dark and Iron Maiden, because those are never absent.  ;D

I'd go see the entire album.  I went and saw the Astonishing and The Great Adventure and enjoyed them, and I like this record more than both of those combined.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7122 on: October 01, 2021, 08:33:40 AM »
Senjutsu (title track and opener)

I was just thinking this morning as I was listening on the drive to work that the title track is a bit slow (mid-tempo) for a Maiden show opener. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7123 on: October 01, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »
I liked this album from the first spin on,  now it's easily in my top three Maiden albums of all time. I honestly cannot tell you which is my favorite song on Senjutsu,  it can change from day to day. They released this album at the perfect time which gives us something great to listen to while we're waiting for the new DT album to drop.  If AVFTTOTW is as good as this album, I'll be pretty stoked! 

bosk said yesterday that he'd put Senjutsu as #2 of the year behind AVFTTOTW, so that says something about the new DT album if everyone's raving over this one.

Well, yeah, but I'm a blind DT fanboy, so there's that.  :lol

But, yeah, I really do think they are both that good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #7124 on: October 01, 2021, 08:51:27 AM »
Yeah, no offense, but I take your DT opinion with a grain of salt. I'll be surprised if after Distance over Time they put out something I enjoy as much as Senjutsu, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. It would be a great year if a third album came out near the level of this and Innocence & Danger.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7125 on: October 01, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
Yeah, no offense, but I take your DT opinion with a grain of salt. I'll be surprised if after Distance over Time they put out something I enjoy as much as Senjutsu, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. It would be a great year if a third album came out near the level of this and Innocence & Danger.

No offense taken.  I completely understand.  Sometimes, you just find a band whose musical formula suits your tastes to a "tee," and so most of what they put out is an almost-automatic like.  Both DT and Neal Morse fit that.  Do they still put out things I don't care for?  Sure.  But for the most part, I know going in blind that I am going to really like most of what they put out since they have such a strong track record of being right up my alley.  I cant rank AVFTTOTW yet.  But it checks all the boxes of what I like and breaks some new ground.  And I like every single track thus far and don't find myself wanting to skip any (which, to me, has been a hallmark of the Mangini era for the most part).

Maiden is a bit more hit and miss for me.  But if I were to graph the reunion era according to my tastes, it has been a general upward trend since Bruce came back onboard.  And whether or not Senjutsu ends up being the high point of the reunion, it is right up there in the discussion.  And I think that for any band, if fans can say "the new album is legitimately in the discussion for top 3 [or at least top 3 of a particular era]," that should be considered an overwhelming success.

To compare the two albums, I dunno.  I think those who are more fans of Maiden will prefer Senjutsu, and those who are more fans of DT will prefer AVFTTOTW.  At the end of the day, they are both solid albums that showcase what each band does well and have some really well-written songs.

Offline 425

« Reply #7126 on: October 01, 2021, 09:17:21 AM »
Thanks for that explanation. I'm not sure whether I'm more a fan of DT or of Maiden (both would be top five artists for me), but unfortunately I haven't really connected with the last couple of DT albums, which tempers my excitement for the new one. I am cautiously optimistic about the return to longer songs, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline WardySI

« Reply #7127 on: October 02, 2021, 02:35:56 AM »
Regards the last couple posts relating to Bosk's take on new Dream Theater I have to confess after such a wait for new Maiden new DT doesn't feel quite as exciting and not sure am quite ready for a new Dream Theater album yet?  That, and am still loving Distance Over Time which still feels fresh!? :lol

Of course keen to be proven wrong and blown away ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7128 on: October 02, 2021, 06:17:51 AM »
I'll call it now but there's no way DT is matching Senjutsu.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7129 on: October 02, 2021, 08:13:08 AM »
I'll call it now but there's no way DT is matching Senjutsu.

Well it depends. Just on The Alien alone, they surpass the entirety of Senjutsu on energy. If the remaining 5 songs have a lot of creativity and good vocal melodies (claimed by MM but not apparent on the 2 singles) then I'm sure I'll like A View more. And obviously it will sound a lot better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7130 on: October 02, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
Me and Bruce must be the only two persons in the world that don't love SIT.

I mean, it's a good and nice album, it's not that I don't like it, it's just that I never connected with it the way I did with the other albums.

It is definitely my least favorite of the five Maiden albums with Bruce from the 80's, but I still like it.  I think I'd rank the five like this:

1 Powerslave
2 Piece of Mind
3 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
4 The Number of the Beast
5 Somewhere in Time

Three days ago, I said the above, but I think I sold Somewhere in Time a little short.  That one may get a bump a few notches up the ladder.  Powerslave remains at 1, but I think Somewhere in Time and The Number of the Beast now might get my 2 and 3 slots.

Oh, and the 90s stuff so far is not going well for me for the most part.  The X Factor was a travesty.  Not looking forward to Virtual XI, but will have to power through it, and then it's on to Brave New World!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7131 on: October 02, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
Me and Bruce must be the only two persons in the world that don't love SIT.

I mean, it's a good and nice album, it's not that I don't like it, it's just that I never connected with it the way I did with the other albums.

It is definitely my least favorite of the five Maiden albums with Bruce from the 80's, but I still like it.  I think I'd rank the five like this:

1 Powerslave
2 Piece of Mind
3 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
4 The Number of the Beast
5 Somewhere in Time

Three days ago, I said the above, but I think I sold Somewhere in Time a little short.  That one may get a bump a few notches up the ladder.  Powerslave remains at 1, but I think Somewhere in Time and The Number of the Beast now might get my 2 and 3 slots.

Oh, and the 90s stuff so far is not going well for me for the most part.  The X Factor was a travesty.  Not looking forward to Virtual XI, but will have to power through it, and then it's on to Brave New World!

TXF deserves respect for Sign of the Cross alone.

It seems almost sacrilege to say this, but I can honestly say that the greatest Iron Maiden song ever recorded was not done with Bruce. Although I’m glad that Bruce saw fit to give us a couple live versions.

EDIT - and I should clarify that while I really enjoy the live versions with Bruce, Blaze absolutely KILLS it on the original.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7132 on: October 02, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
I guess the usual complaints on The X Factor might be the production or the general mood of the album, but I wonder what you thought of the songs themselves, Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7133 on: October 02, 2021, 09:45:33 AM »
Sign of the Cross was actually one of the two songs I thought had trickles of being a good song, The Edge of Darkness being the other, so I will have to check out live versions of those two with Bruce.  I do not like Blaze's voice at all.  He sounds like a generic singer from some bad bar metal band.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7134 on: October 02, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
There’s a certain passionate conviction in the way he sings the first heavy part “Standing alone in the wind and rain…” as well as the “why am I left to face this alone, asking the question TIME and again.”

There’s just a certain “fierceness” to his delivery that Bruce never quite captures IMO. Even though he does do it with better technique.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7135 on: October 02, 2021, 10:22:54 AM »
Another controversial opinion of mine…

Blaze’s versions of Bruce’s songs all blew chunks with one exception. I like his live version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers (from the 2-disc version of Best of the Beast) better than Bruce’s version. Mostly for a lot of similar reasons. That particular song happens to fit in his range better, and he has a certain snarl to his voice that fit the song better.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #7136 on: October 02, 2021, 10:30:28 AM »
He sounds like a generic singer from some bad bar metal band.

For me he sounds like a caricature of a metal singer. Like a comedian doing a parody.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7137 on: October 02, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »
There is literally no chance I will ever listen to Virtual XI again...ever.  Blaze's vocals are just too bland and generic.  Just gave it a whirl and that was difficult to get through.

That said, The Clansmen seemed pretty great, and I checked out the Rock in Rio version with Bruce.  Now that is good stuff.  I could tell when listening to the studio version that it just needed good singing to bring it all out, and boom, there it is.

I now look forward to never hearing Blaze Bayley sing again.

Offline 425

« Reply #7138 on: October 02, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
There’s a certain passionate conviction in the way he sings the first heavy part “Standing alone in the wind and rain…” as well as the “why am I left to face this alone, asking the question TIME and again.”

There’s just a certain “fierceness” to his delivery that Bruce never quite captures IMO. Even though he does do it with better technique.

Yes, yes, yes.

And yes on his version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers, which is wonderful.

I think there are other performances of his on older songs that show signs of being good, but he's really hampered by Steve's refusal to tune down. I think he would be great, for example, on The Clairvoyant, if it was a little lower. He does well on the verses, but he just can't reach up to the chorus.

For me he sounds like a caricature of a metal singer. Like a comedian doing a parody.

I understand not liking his voice, but... I don't really get this? What other metal singer sounds like Blaze? Maybe there's just a whole segment of the metal world I'm missing, but I think he's literally the only metal singer I'm even aware of whose range is that low.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Glasser

« Reply #7139 on: October 02, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »

Yes, yes, yes.

And yes on his version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers, which is wonderful.

I think there are other performances of his on older songs that show signs of being good, but he's really hampered by Steve's refusal to tune down. I think he would be great, for example, on The Clairvoyant, if it was a little lower. He does well on the verses, but he just can't reach up to the chorus.

I understand not liking his voice, but... I don't really get this? What other metal singer sounds like Blaze? Maybe there's just a whole segment of the metal world I'm missing, but I think he's literally the only metal singer I'm even aware of whose range is that low.

He has a Danzig tone that I personally like but doesn’t fit Maiden at all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:44:38 AM by Glasser »