Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573494 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #7035 on: September 29, 2021, 09:15:24 AM »
I’ll play…

1. Piece of Mind
2. Number of the Beast
3. Powerslave
4. Seventh Son
5. Somewhere in Time
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7036 on: September 29, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »
1.  Somewhere in Time
2.  Piece of Mind
3.  Number of the Beast
4.  Powerslave
5.  Seventh Son

1 and 2 are almost interchangeable (and might be on any given day).  3 is pretty close behind, but is solid at #3.  #4 has some AMAZING songs that I wouldn't trade for anything, but is easily #4 because it has a lot of dead weight that I don't care for.  And I would be fine if #5 didn't exist.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7037 on: September 29, 2021, 11:19:12 AM »
Me and Bruce must be the only two persons in the world that don't love SIT.

I mean, it's a good and nice album, it's not that I don't like it, it's just that I never connected with it the way I did with the other albums.

I think I like it better than you do, but what you described is close to how I feel.  I mentioned above that there's nothing skippable on SIT, but there's also nothing exceptional.

I think I'd rank the five '80s albums with Bruce thusly:

1. Piece of Mind - Not a weak track to be found (even Still Life is pretty good).
2. Powerslave - Only Back in the Village brings it down.
3. The Number of the Beast - I feel like I should like this album more.  I think it's that Hallowed Be Thy Name is SO MUCH better live that it makes the studio version seem weak in comparison.
4. Somewhere in Time - Nothing bad and several good to really good songs, but nothing that hits the highs of the best songs on the three prior albums.
5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Two killer songs can't save an otherwise weak album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7038 on: September 29, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »

I mean, it's a good and nice album, it's not that I don't like it, it's just that I never connected with it the way I did with the other albums.

I think I like it better than you do, but what you described is close to how I feel.  I mentioned above that there's nothing skippable on SIT, but there's also nothing exceptional.

1. Piece of Mind - Not a weak track to be found (even Still Life is pretty good).
3. The Number of the Beast - I feel like I should like this album more.  I think it's that Hallowed Be Thy Name is SO MUCH better live that it makes the studio version seem weak in comparison.
4. Somewhere in Time - Nothing bad and several good to really good songs, but nothing that hits the highs of the best songs on the three prior albums.
5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Two killer songs can't save an otherwise weak album.

I like it the least of the 5 albums we're discussing, although I admit that it has aged rather well and I probably like it a bit more than when I bought it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7039 on: September 29, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »

Can you stop saying that?  It's embarrassing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm kidding. I know I'm in the minority on liking that song, but I have to say, even trying to be objective, it sort of baffles me why it's so unliked.  It's got an upbeat, interesting intro riff, the chorus isn't bad, Bruce's vocal is pretty animated, and there's a good solo.  What is it that people don't like?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7040 on: September 29, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »

What a funny way to spell "Quest for Fire".

Still Life is amazing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7041 on: September 29, 2021, 12:22:22 PM »

Still Life is amazing.

:tup :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7042 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm kidding. I know I'm in the minority on liking that song, but I have to say, even trying to be objective, it sort of baffles me why it's so unliked.  It's got an upbeat, interesting intro riff, the chorus isn't bad, Bruce's vocal is pretty animated, and there's a good solo.  What is it that people don't like?

If you're embarrassed, then maybe rethink your opinion!   :lol

What is it that people don't like?

"I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again...."

Something about chickens...

And I just don't like the main riff.

Still Life is amazing.

QFF is good.  Still Life is fine.  It's just not up to the standard set by every other song on that album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7043 on: September 29, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »
I’m usually the one complaining about iron maiden‘s choruses being repetitious, but I didn’t think back in the village was that bad.

I mean:

Back in the village again in the village I’m back in the village again”

…is about it. Maybe he does that twice at the end, but that’s nothing compared to the “repeat the title 8 times” approach they started using later.

Offline 425

« Reply #7044 on: September 29, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
Back in the Village is my favorite of the little four on Powerslave by far. I find it fairly interesting, unlike the others.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7045 on: September 29, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »
That riff in BITV is fucking ripping though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7046 on: September 29, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
That riff in BITV is fucking ripping though.

This may be it's only redeeming factor for me.  Definitely bottom tier Maiden in my book, but the riffage is good.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7047 on: September 29, 2021, 02:22:17 PM »
What people seem to forget is that, even though Back in the village is one of the middle four on the CD, it was chosen to be the side B opener on the vinyl. That says something. It is a frenetic track with a powerful riff and a truly amazing instrumental section. I've never had an issue with the chorus, and the chord progression in the pre-chorus is brilliant as well.

"Questions are a burden, and answers are a prison for oneself." Yeah, I love that song.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7048 on: September 29, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »

If you're embarrassed, then maybe rethink your opinion!   :lol

Well, I meant embarrassing FOR YOU, but still.  :)

What is it that people don't like?

"I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again...."

Something about chickens...

And I just don't like the main riff.

Granted the words repeat, but the melody doesn't.  I love that loping melody of the chorus.

And for those that don't know, it's a "sequel" of sorts to "The Prisoner", set in the "Village" that is the setting for the TV show.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7049 on: September 29, 2021, 03:13:29 PM »
Back In The Village was actually my favorite song when the album came out. I love the verses still.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7050 on: September 29, 2021, 03:48:26 PM »
I’m usually the one complaining about iron maiden‘s choruses being repetitious, but I didn’t think back in the village was that bad.

I mean:

Back in the village again in the village I’m back in the village again”

…is about it. Maybe he does that twice at the end, but that’s nothing compared to the “repeat the title 8 times” approach they started using later.

I assume it was obvious I was exaggerating (in part to tweak Stadler  :biggrin:)

However, to quote/paraphrase the great Carlin:  "They wanted reasons.  Well, you don’t always have a reason.  'I don't know.  I know I don't like it.  And I know that if I [listened to] it, I would like it even less.  You like it?  You [listen to] it!' . . .  'It came to me in a dream!'"   :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7051 on: September 29, 2021, 05:45:19 PM »

5.  Seventh Son

1 and 2 are almost interchangeable (and might be on any given day).  3 is pretty close behind, but is solid at #3.  #4 has some AMAZING songs that I wouldn't trade for anything, but is easily #4 because it has a lot of dead weight that I don't care for.  And I would be fine if #5 didn't exist.

Ahhhhh, how can you describe Illumination Theory so perfectly in the other thread and say something like this?! ;D
Anyway, always impresses me how a lot of people in this forum doesn't like Seventh Son as much as I do. Always my favorite album by Maiden! And Moochild, Infinite Dreams and Seventh Son are all amazing Maiden masterpieces IMO. :hefdaddy :heart
The PoM to Seventh Son era is still unmatchable IMO. TNoTB is also in the same league, but I think Nicko's presence was still missing to fully create the classic sound of the band with the drums/bass gallops.  :metal :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7052 on: September 29, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »

5.  Seventh Son

Ahhhhh, how can you describe Illumination Theory so perfectly in the other thread and say something like this?! ;D
Anyway, always impresses me how a lot of people in this forum doesn't like Seventh Son as much as I do. Always my favorite album by Maiden! And Moochild, Infinite Dreams and Seventh Son are all amazing Maiden masterpieces IMO. :hefdaddy :heart
The PoM to Seventh Son era is still unmatchable IMO. TNoTB is also in the same league, but I think Nicko's presence was still missing to fully create the classic sound of the band with the drums/bass gallops.  :metal :hefdaddy

Seventh Son is awesome, it would vie for #1 if CIPWM was replaced with a better song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7053 on: September 29, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
The new one arrived today.  I listened to disk 1.  So far, pretty good.  Too early to form much of an opinion besides that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7054 on: September 29, 2021, 06:02:08 PM »
As much as I like Seventh Son, I wish it had a little more bottom end and grit in the production.  It sounds a little thin, but it was 1988 and it was likely a product of its time.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7055 on: September 29, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
As much as I like Seventh Son, I wish it had a little more bottom end and grit in the production. It sounds a little thin, but it was 1988 and it was likely a product of its time.
It's true.
About CIPWM (and OTGDY), they are a tad too commercial, but they also are very unique at the same time, they really have its charm.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7056 on: September 29, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Disk 2 is pretty good as well.  So far, the only complaint I have is a nitpick with the packaging.  I don't overly have a beef with digipacks in and of themselves.  I mean, I hate them.  But I realized a long time ago that they are here to stay.  But it is extremely annoying at this early stage when I don't yet know the songs that the song names are not listed on the back of the CD, and the only place to view the track list is to open up the digipack and slide the booklet out. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7057 on: September 29, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
Disk 2 is pretty good as well.  So far, the only complaint I have is a nitpick with the packaging.  I don't overly have a beef with digipacks in and of themselves.  I mean, I hate them.  But I realized a long time ago that they are here to stay.  But it is extremely annoying at this early stage when I don't yet know the songs that the song names are not listed on the back of the CD, and the only place to view the track list is to open up the digipack and slide the booklet out.

And getting t the booklet out is a pain in the ass.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7058 on: September 29, 2021, 07:06:53 PM »
This makes me happy that I dropped the extra 5 bucks and got the book version. It goes nicely with the TBOS book.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7059 on: September 29, 2021, 07:19:11 PM »
This makes me happy that I dropped the extra 5 bucks and got the book version. It goes nicely with the TBOS book.

I dropped a few more bucks and went for the Japan Book version, as I know it will be top quality and last.
BTW the booklet (as I have previously posted) is officially online in PDF format https://box.ironmaiden.com/booklet/Iron-Maiden-Senjutsu.pdf
I'm waiting for the vinyl price to drop, as it's supposed to sound slightly better,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7060 on: September 29, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »
This album is so good, I may end up getting the book version.  Would get it instantly if JB ever gets it in stock.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7061 on: September 30, 2021, 12:40:13 AM »
Back In The Village is bloody great!

What a riff. What a vocal.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7062 on: September 30, 2021, 01:38:23 AM »

Exactly the reason I went for that. I had all the other albums in normal format, it sucked to have TBOS stand alone, now they're a nice pair.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7063 on: September 30, 2021, 07:11:12 AM »

I agree with that last statement, 100%.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7064 on: September 30, 2021, 11:09:40 AM »
Second listen to Senjutsu:  This album is REALLY good.  Thus far, I might put it at #2 for 2021 just behind A View From the Top of the World (but I haven't listened to Innocence and Danger yet).  Solid effort.  This early, the "new car smell" isn't even close to wearing off, so I am cautious about being overly enthusiastic, but at this early stage, I am thinking this could be up in the discussion with my Maiden top 3 of The Final Frontier, Somewhere in Time, and Piece of Mind.  It kinda feels like the quality is up there with those 3, and even if it doesn't clearly surpass them, it does on quantity.  And I get why I was told that, being a fan of TFF, I would probably like this one.  Sonically, and in terms of writing, I hear a lot of similarity, which is great.  I think any time someone can say, "You know your favorite album from this band?  The new one sounds a lot like it, but it is even longer!" that is a surefire win.

EDIT:  Man, the RIFFS on this album!!!  :metal
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:33:48 AM by bosk1 »

Offline 425

« Reply #7065 on: September 30, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
Yes! That's what I was hoping you would say.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7066 on: September 30, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
Depending on where they end up playing, price of tickets, etc., this may be the tour where I get to scratch a "bucket list band" off the list. 

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #7067 on: September 30, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »
Depending on where they end up playing, price of tickets, etc., this may be the tour where I get to scratch a "bucket list band" off the list.
I've seen them 3× in the last ten years,  you won't be disappointed...
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7068 on: September 30, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
Second listen to Senjutsu:  This album is REALLY good.  Thus far, I might put it at #2 for 2021 just behind A View From the Top of the World (but I haven't listened to Innocence and Danger yet).  Solid effort.  This early, the "new car smell" isn't even close to wearing off, so I am cautious about being overly enthusiastic, but at this early stage, I am thinking this could be up in the discussion with my Maiden top 3 of The Final Frontier, Somewhere in Time, and Piece of Mind.  It kinda feels like the quality is up there with those 3, and even if it doesn't clearly surpass them, it does on quantity.  And I get why I was told that, being a fan of TFF, I would probably like this one.  Sonically, and in terms of writing, I hear a lot of similarity, which is great.  I think any time someone can say, "You know your favorite album from this band?  The new one sounds a lot like it, but it is even longer!" that is a surefire win.

EDIT:  Man, the RIFFS on this album!!!  :metal

It's been a month and the new car smell is still as strong for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7069 on: September 30, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »
I've seen them 3×,  in the last 10 years,  you won't be disappointed...

I saw them 3 times just on the last tour, but you are right.  No disappointments will be had.  But in all seriousness, the guys are getting old.  Go see them before the time runs out if you have the chance.  That definitely ran through my mind when I saw them the 3rd time, who knows if that ends up being the last?  (luckily with the pandemic not being as bad and the new album being released, it seems likely that won't be the last time, but you never know)