Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573045 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6930 on: September 25, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »
Triple post..

I'll post a couple of my own shots from that tour for those that haven't seen them..

March 30, 1987
Civic Center
Providence RI

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6931 on: September 25, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
Regarding the Somewhere In Time tour, I never understood why they played Rime and not Alexander.
But they did play Phantom. That was before the days of knowing the setlist ahead of time. When those first few notes of Phantom started, I went crazy!

Troy NY, 1-11-87
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu64ESskzR4&t=1s

Still probably my all time favorite video bootleg. I watched this endlessly in the late 80's.
One thing I like about it is that it actually has a decent view of Nicko.

Friggin’ love Phantom of the Opera!!!! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6932 on: September 25, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Those opening notes of Phantom during that show is a Top 5 concert moment for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6933 on: September 25, 2021, 06:27:53 PM »
Just mention a tour and TAC throws his photos in your face.  :biggrin:

Cool!   :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6934 on: September 25, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
Delete please  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6935 on: September 25, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
Regarding the Somewhere In Time tour, I never understood why they played Rime and not Alexander.

I think someone in here posted one of the band members saying there was a part the band couldn't pull off live.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6936 on: September 25, 2021, 06:39:24 PM »

I think someone in here posted one of the band members saying there was a part the band couldn't pull off live.

That tour is literally one of my Top 3 Maiden shows, but I always thought Rime didn't exactly fit the futuristic motiff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6937 on: September 25, 2021, 07:02:31 PM »
Pro shot footage from the Philly inhouse cameras. Unfortunately a couple of songs are basically cut including Caught Somewhere In Time, but it's 85% of the entire show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EE-YR4fi4&t=1s

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6938 on: September 25, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »

That tour is literally one of my Top 3 Maiden shows, but I always thought Rime didn't exactly fit the futuristic motiff.

Yes Unless the Rime of the “ancient” Mariner was Caught somewhere in time.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6939 on: September 25, 2021, 07:54:04 PM »

Yes Unless the Rime of the “ancient” Mariner was Caught somewhere in time.  :biggrin:

Which would make the Mariner a stranger in a strange land.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6940 on: September 25, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »

So Alexander The Great is at a Losfer Words in a flash of the blade in a sea of madness?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6941 on: September 25, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »

So Alexander The Great is at a Losfer Words in a flash of the blade in a sea of madness?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6942 on: September 25, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
Talking SIT:

Another amazing album in the incredible NOTB - SSOAS streak.
Only HCW is below par and it's always been irritatibg to me.
Loneliness doesn't get enough love. The guitar part after "must be so determined and push myself on" is beaut.
Love that part in ATG "he paved the way for Christianity. Marching on. Marching on!"

I'm with you on Heaven Can Wait. It's an amazing song live though.

I love HCW. We’re talking a few seconds of chorus here guys, the rest of the song is awesome.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6943 on: September 25, 2021, 09:42:24 PM »
Somewhere In Time is also a Top3 Maiden fer me and concur with others only HCW is less than stellar but it's still great!  Not reading much love for DeJa Vu, but even it is an album essential \m/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6944 on: September 26, 2021, 12:36:17 AM »
Talking SIT:

Another amazing album in the incredible NOTB - SSOAS streak.
Only HCW is below par and it's always been irritatibg to me.
Loneliness doesn't get enough love. The guitar part after "must be so determined and push myself on" is beaut.
Love that part in ATG "he paved the way for Christianity. Marching on. Marching on!"

I'm with you on Heaven Can Wait. It's an amazing song live though.

I love HCW. We’re talking a few seconds of chorus here guys, the rest of the song is awesome.

I have enjoyed it live when I've seen them. The whoa whoa whoa thing is really fun live.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6945 on: September 26, 2021, 12:42:06 AM »
Echoing the thought that live is where HCW really kills it. It was a mid tier song until I heard it live.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6946 on: September 26, 2021, 04:16:13 AM »
I've always loved Heaven can wait. The chorus just makes me feel good, it's incredible to hear Maiden pull of a major key so well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6947 on: September 26, 2021, 06:42:37 AM »
Pro shot footage from the Philly inhouse cameras. Unfortunately a couple of songs are basically cut including Caught Somewhere In Time, but it's 85% of the entire show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EE-YR4fi4&t=1s

Holy shit, this is legit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6948 on: September 26, 2021, 09:56:33 AM »
I love QFF lyrics  :lol

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam

Then the tribes they came to steal their fire
And the wolves they howled into the night
As they fought a vicious angry battle
To save the power of warmth and light

You'd think Ben Jamin wrote those lyrics.

It's about Power Rangers and their Dinozords saving the Earths fire from being stolen by the tribe of Lord Zedd and Rita.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6949 on: September 26, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
Senjutsu is still holding very strong in the listening rotation.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6950 on: September 26, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »
Senjutsu is still holding very strong in the listening rotation.

Same here, and I'm liking it a little bit more every time. Still haven't quite decided where it ranks in the reunion era, as I like to give these things a little more time  ;)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6951 on: September 26, 2021, 03:41:05 PM »
Yeah, gave it a good start to end listen while doing an annoying plumbing job in the kitchen yesterday. Really great and consistent record.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6952 on: September 26, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
I'm still hitting it daily, but I've been playing a ton of Maiden as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6953 on: September 26, 2021, 05:25:29 PM »

I want to listen to their other albums but that means not listening to Senjutsu.

I'm back to the Parchment being my fav.

This album is incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6954 on: September 26, 2021, 06:18:00 PM »

I want to listen to their other albums but that means not listening to Senjutsu.

What do you think about the title track? I'm finding it a little easy to skip.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6955 on: September 26, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »

I really like it but it could be chopped down a couple of minutes.  I love the simple heavy opening riff though.

To be honest, this album could just be CD2 with Lost World added in and I'd still think it's just as good.  5 amazing career best tracks IMO.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6956 on: September 26, 2021, 07:03:53 PM »

I really like it but it could be chopped down a couple of minutes.  I love the simple heavy opening riff though.

To be honest, this album could just be CD2 with Lost World added in and I'd still think it's just as good.  5 amazing career best tracks IMO.

I like the title track a lot - it's cool how different it is from the typical IM opener, and how it almost serves as a build-up to the album itself. And I love how vocal melody in the chorus resolves, it's a great Bruce moment for me. My least favorite on the album might just be Stratego, and even that is a thoroughly enjoyable track. One favorite from CD1 that I don't see mentioned often is The Time Machine. My overall favorite...probably The Parchment, at the moment.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6957 on: September 27, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »
Think the title track serves as the perfect opener and unless  picking through particular songs the album doesn't open better with any the other tracks?

Anyway, while there's some other stellar numbers to be had fer this fan nothing much beats Lost In A Lost World (Bruce's XFactor moment) and Hell On Earth (Seventh Son-like to my ears) both those are serious contenders for Top whatever Maiden lists 😁

At this age it's a rare thing to be truly moved by new music like back when, but while A Matter Of Life And Death came awfully close and BOS was fantastic, not since Brave New World have I been as absorbed with a Maiden album as am with Senjutsu, quite the profound impact \m/

But I do have to shout out for Blaze's killer new one too. 

So weird how when Maiden released Brave New World it overshadowed Blaze's magnificent Silicon Messiah and here we are again 20 years later Maiden and Blaze again releasing some of their finest works in the very same year. 

But yeah, weird but super grateful to have both these albums :metal

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:19:33 AM by WardySI »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6958 on: September 27, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »
So I wore my Senjutsu tshirt to a big rock festival on Saturday.  Got so many compliments from people including a little kid who almost brought a tear to my eye when he told me Iron Maiden were his favorite band  :metal

But seriously, literally every single person who talked to me about Iron Maiden actually admitted they haven't even listened to Senjutsu  :facepalm: I'm talking around 5 different people I had conversations with about Maiden.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6959 on: September 27, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »
OK, I just hit the "purchase" button on Amazon for this and the new NMB.  Looking forward to it.  I'm guessing, even before purchase, that with this haul, new DT coming out, and Evergrey and TA releasing albums earlier in the year, my top 5 for 2021 is set.

Regarding SiT, as I've said before, I just adore that album.  It and PoM flip back and forth as my favorite of the classic era.  Even with the "low point" of Powerslave in the middle, the run from Beast through SiT was just incredible. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #6960 on: September 27, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
I like the title track a lot - it's cool how different it is from the typical IM opener, and how it almost serves as a build-up to the album itself.

I really agree with this. I think the song it's most similar to is Face in the Sand, and I have always felt that Face in the Sand would be in an interesting, if unconventional, opener, because of how it builds up.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6961 on: September 27, 2021, 05:53:56 PM »
Moving along in my journey, although I really liked a few songs and a lot of moments from others, I thought Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was kind of a mess on the first listen, but the second listen was a lot better.  Moonchild was instantly badass, though.

I have to admit I am getting a little nervous as I know the 90's albums are coming next. I am sensing rough times ahead.  :lol :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6962 on: September 27, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »
HUGE fan of Seventh Son here. As I said earlier, it currently sits in my Maiden top 3. It wasn't always that way...I didn't connect with it right away, when I first listened to it (many moons ago...). But now it might well be the one I go back to the most in the "classic" run.

You are right - Moonchild is an incredibly badass opener  ;D My favorite song on the album is Infinite Dreams.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6963 on: September 27, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »
Infinite Dreams is probably a top 5 Maiden songs for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6964 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:22 PM »
Moving along in my journey, although I really liked a few songs and a lot of moments from others, I thought Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was kind of a mess on the first listen, but the second listen was a lot better.  Moonchild was instantly badass, though.

I have to admit I am getting a little nervous as I know the 90's albums are coming next. I am sensing rough times ahead.  :lol :lol

It will be interesting to hear a fresh take on them. The Blaze albums are especially divisive with many either liking both or not even bothering with either. I feel I might be in the minority in that I put TXF in the top 5, but VXI as a thunderous turd. But you’ve got two so-so Bruce albums to get through before you get to the Blaze albums anyway. l
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude