Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573510 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6895 on: September 24, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »
Hell on Earth could be close to the greatest thing the band has ever done.

So my biggest problem with it is that the second half is nowhere near as strong as the first half.

The Parchment has passed it I think.

For me the album gets better as it goes on, building up to grand finale of the last three songs and boom!

What is your opinion of The Final Frontier?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6896 on: September 24, 2021, 05:12:54 PM »
What is your opinion of The Final Frontier?

I remember liking it when it came out, haven't played it for a few years until last week, I think I lasted 4/5 songs and had to turn it off.
Also has the worst artwork of any Maiden album/single, urgh!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:23:02 PM by gazinwales »

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6897 on: September 24, 2021, 06:11:45 PM »
KTD is a fav of mine too.  Great songs and Doug rips.

Another hot take.....I LOVE Magica!

Agree on both counts, KTD was sensational and Magica is a personal fave albeit went a bit OTT with the spoken word story stuff, but musically it was great. 

I remember hearing Lord Of The Last Day on JJJ that weekend and driving to the brick and mortar to buy the damn thing that same day :metal

After a few weeks with Senjutsu can confidently say favorite three tracks are Lost In A Lost World, Hell On Earth and third is a little harder and split between one of the two rockers Stratego or Days Of Future Past!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6898 on: September 24, 2021, 06:35:00 PM »
Speaking of Powerslave, I get the feeling that there isn't a massive amount of love for Flash of the Blade...it might not be a top Maiden song, but I enjoy it a ton. It's a fun tune with a lot of energy, and I'd love to see it live (wouldn't the instrumental section be just great with the three guitars?!)

That driving riff in Flash of the Blade was one of the things that stood out to me on my first listen of Powerslave.  I get that other songs on that record might be better, but no way is that song any kind of weak link.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6899 on: September 25, 2021, 01:26:50 AM »
After folks were talking Quest For Fire I stuck Piece Of Mind on in the car on the way to the supermarket. Made me grin from ear to ear - so cool that a piece of music that I picked up when I was about 14 is still rocking me 33 years later.

Random thoughts:

There's a crusty kind of feel about this album that is really cool. It's not the absolute best guitar sound ever but the production overall sounds so full of character. Suits the artwork to a tee.

Revelations - I love this tune. Bruce's vocals.  :hefdaddy The part where he takes a breath "and the seed is sown in a holy place and i watched (breath) and I waited for the dawn". Ridiculous power!

I just love the double time instrumental break and that
t harmony arpeggio-ish section after the lead break at 5:05 might be my favourite part of the whole Maiden catalogue.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6900 on: September 25, 2021, 01:55:38 AM »
Revelations has one of Bruce's best vocal performance. Such a great tune and such a great delivery.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6901 on: September 25, 2021, 04:58:54 AM »

Agree on both counts, KTD was sensational and Magica is a personal fave albeit went a bit OTT with the spoken word story stuff, but musically it was great. 

I remember hearing Lord Of The Last Day on JJJ that weekend and driving to the brick and mortar to buy the damn thing that same day :metal

After a few weeks with Senjutsu can confidently say favorite three tracks are Lost In A Lost World, Hell On Earth and third is a little harder and split between one of the two rockers Stratego or Days Of Future Past!

Dio on Triple J?

Three hours of power?  I used to love listening to that show.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6902 on: September 25, 2021, 04:59:47 AM »

So my biggest problem with it is that the second half is nowhere near as strong as the first half.

The Parchment has passed it I think.

It's tight for me.

While I agree on that point on Hell on Earth, that first 7 minutes is extrodinary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6903 on: September 25, 2021, 05:17:48 AM »

I think I'm the opposite. Imo, the second half is what elevates it from being a good song to an amazing one. I also really like the callback to the title track in the lyrics ("you danced on the graves who bled for us"), which wraps the album up nicely.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6904 on: September 25, 2021, 06:54:00 AM »

Dio on Triple J?

Three hours of power?  I used to love listening to that show.

Weirdly I don't think it was the 3hrs of Power IIRC it was a lunchtime Saturday thereabouts and JJJ was just doing their usual for back then and simply played the track!

Unless it was a repeat or hour of power highlights perhaps I dunno but it was definitely a moment :metal
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:10:31 AM by WardySI »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6905 on: September 25, 2021, 07:02:27 AM »
Subsequent listens revealed that the back to back of Where Eagles Dare and Revelations is definitely a kickass 1-2 punch.

Somewhere in Time seems pretty inconsistent on the first listen, but there are a few really good ones.  Seems like half really good / half kinda meh.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6906 on: September 25, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
Subsequent listens revealed that the back to back of Where Eagles Dare and Revelations is definitely a kickass 1-2 punch.

Somewhere in Time seems pretty inconsistent on the first listen, but there are a few really good ones.  Seems like half really good / half kinda meh.

I don't remember what I thought of Somewhere in Time when I first heard it in the late 1990s. I do remember it sounded very '80s but I quickly grew to love it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6907 on: September 25, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »

I don't remember what I thought of Somewhere in Time when I first heard it in the late 1990s. I do remember it sounded very '80s but I quickly grew to love it.

Nothing wrong with sounding like the 80's.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6908 on: September 25, 2021, 08:53:47 AM »

Nothing wrong with sounding like the 80's.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tit Depends  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6909 on: September 25, 2021, 08:58:23 AM »
Caught Somewhere in Time
Wasted Years
Stranger in a Strange Land
Alexander the Great

All keepers after two listens.  I cannot imagine listening to the other four songs again.  The chorus in Heaven Can Wait is not good.

Offline 425

« Reply #6910 on: September 25, 2021, 09:01:27 AM »
Those are four of the five best. I'd recommend giving Sea of Madness one more chance. I understand not being crazy about the other three.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6911 on: September 25, 2021, 09:09:44 AM »
I really wish they’d play Caught Somewhere in Time more. One of their most badass tunes ever.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6912 on: September 25, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
I've recently given Loneliness and Deja Vu another go and they've become some of my favorites. There's great guitar parts up the wazoo in those!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6913 on: September 25, 2021, 09:19:52 AM »
Those are four of the five best. I'd recommend giving Sea of Madness one more chance. I understand not being crazy about the other three.

Noted.  :tup :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6914 on: September 25, 2021, 09:33:56 AM »
The Loneliness has some of the greatest guitar harmonies the band has ever put out. It is insane.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6915 on: September 25, 2021, 11:03:06 AM »
Remembering I got in to Maiden in the 2000s, I only ever thought Powerslave is not elite level, just really good. That sounds like a put-down. It's not meant to be. It just falls in the middle of the pack of my Maiden album rankings.  And Somewhere in Time is in my bottom third.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6916 on: September 25, 2021, 11:14:07 AM »
The Prisoner
Sun and Steel
Sea of Madness
And every song on Powerslave.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6917 on: September 25, 2021, 11:22:07 AM »

Indeed. Sea Of Madness is probably my favourite on the album. Or in the top 2 at least.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6918 on: September 25, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
I still remember buying SIT the day it came out, and I thought the synths were a bit jarring. Especially for a 17 yr old that had spent the last two years listening to nearly every band that had been signed to Metal Blade, Combat, or Megaforce records. The new sound just felt very “watered down” by comparison.

But there are great moments. I personally think that the riff in Sea of Madness is one of the heaviest things on the album, the chorus is probably the strongest of the entire album, so it always confused me that most people rank it so low on the album. Most of the other choruses seem really lazy to me. This is the album I usually point to as beginning the trend of repeating a single line over and over again for the chorus.

Sea of Madness is my favorite, and SIASL is a very strong single. That’s probably the song where the synths really work with the song. I didn’t used to like Heaven Can Wait, but the live version takes it to a whole new level and now I love it. And I should try to revisit Alexander the Great. I haven’t heard it in forever. I just remember that it was kind of the follow up “epic” to ROTAM…and on that level it was a massive fail. But that was 35 years ago, so it’s probably easier to listen to it on its own merits these days.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online nick_z

« Reply #6919 on: September 25, 2021, 12:32:47 PM »
I would absolutely second the comments on Sea of Madness...give it another chance, it's a great song. I'm a huge fan of Loneliness too.

Truly, the only song I don't particularly care for on SiT is Heaven Can Wait. It's not bad, but it's my least favorite.

Anyway, huge, huge fan of Somewhere in Time. At this point in time, it's in my Maiden top 3, with The Number of the Beast and Seventh Son (Piece of Mind and Powerslave following right behind)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6920 on: September 25, 2021, 12:36:04 PM »
The instrumental section of ATG is peak Maiden.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6921 on: September 25, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »
5 Common Criticisms of Iron Maiden's Senjutsu
https://youtu.be/FKGLQ4Waz-g

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6922 on: September 25, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
The instrumental section of ATG is peak Maiden.

Probably one of my favorite solos from Adrian. That, and the solo on The Prophecy. Oh and also the solo on.... nevermind, shit there's just too many .. :lol

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6923 on: September 25, 2021, 01:34:22 PM »

Ooh didn't watch the link but let me take a blind guess...

Songs are too long and intros too long and boring.
Not enough faster tempo tunes.
Too much Janick doubling vocal melodies on guitar.
Too many repeated "same"-y sounding bits that sound like Iron Maiden repeating themselves.
Janick's dancing ruined the experience.
Janick's guitar spinning ruined the experience.

Do I get a prize if I'm right on any of this?   :laugh:  OK I'll kindly fuck off.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6924 on: September 25, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »

Too many repeated "same"-y sounding bits that sound like Iron Maiden repeating themselves.

Do I get a prize if I'm right on any of this?   :laugh:  OK I'll kindly fuck off.

I didn't get to see any dancing or spinning. Was this on the super deluxe edition of the album?  :lol

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6925 on: September 25, 2021, 02:02:11 PM »

I didn't get to see any dancing or spinning. Was this on the super deluxe edition of the album?  :lol

Oops. I just checked. It must be this ultra elite super rare 4D printed Japanese import I have! Sorry.   :facepalm:

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6926 on: September 25, 2021, 04:20:10 PM »
Talking SIT:

Another amazing album in the incredible NOTB - SSOAS streak.
Only HCW is below par and it's always been irritatibg to me.
Loneliness doesn't get enough love. The guitar part after "must be so determined and push myself on" is beaut.
Love that part in ATG "he paved the way for Christianity. Marching on. Marching on!"
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6927 on: September 25, 2021, 05:51:31 PM »
Talking SIT:

Another amazing album in the incredible NOTB - SSOAS streak.
Only HCW is below par and it's always been irritatibg to me.
Loneliness doesn't get enough love. The guitar part after "must be so determined and push myself on" is beaut.
Love that part in ATG "he paved the way for Christianity. Marching on. Marching on!"

I'm with you on Heaven Can Wait. It's an amazing song live though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6928 on: September 25, 2021, 05:58:40 PM »
We talk about bands that have songs that age well, or don't age well.

For me, Heaven Can Wait is one of their songs that has actually aged the strongest.

The funny thing is, when SiT came out, I actually considered it my favorite Maiden album for a while. I thought it was so refreshing over the disappointing Powerslave. Ironically, it was Powerslave that has aged really well for me and SiT really has not. That said, I was never a fan of Heaven Can Wait. I could never understand why it stayed in the live show through the next 6 album tours.

But I really love the song now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6929 on: September 25, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
Regarding the Somewhere In Time tour, I never understood why they played Rime and not Alexander.
But they did play Phantom. That was before the days of knowing the setlist ahead of time. When those first few notes of Phantom started, I went crazy!

Troy NY, 1-11-87
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu64ESskzR4&t=1s

Still probably my all time favorite video bootleg. I watched this endlessly in the late 80's.
One thing I like about it is that it actually has a decent view of Nicko.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 06:14:26 PM by TAC »