Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573498 times)

Online NoseofNicko

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6860 on: September 23, 2021, 04:37:22 PM »
There’s not a single weak track on Powerslave.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6861 on: September 23, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »
I love QFF lyrics  :lol

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam

Then the tribes they came to steal their fire
And the wolves they howled into the night
As they fought a vicious angry battle
To save the power of warmth and light

You'd think Ben Jamin wrote those lyrics.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6862 on: September 23, 2021, 04:46:23 PM »
 :rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6863 on: September 23, 2021, 05:04:32 PM »
I also forgot to mention how every band going made a song about nuclear war during this time period.

Yeah...I used the word "contrived" earlier, but that's not the best word.  As you noted, EVERY band had a "let's not nuke the hell out of everyone" song, and by that point, it was a bit played out.

But I definitely had Fire Down Under, Restless And Wild, and Power And The Glory, and Holy Diver by the time Powerslave came out.

While I didn't notice any of the similarities between 2 Minutes and any other song, I was aware that Stand Up and Shout and Power and the Glory had basically the identical opening/main riff.  Saxon's album was released a couple months earlier, but I'm pretty sure that Holy Diver had been recorded before P&TG was released, so the similarity was purely coincidental (unless both bands swiped it from a common source).

I didn't feel that Powerslave built on Piece Of Mind in any way. It felt like a step back honestly.

I did too, but that's only because POM is SO FUCKING GOOD that it's virtually impossible to top (and, IMO, they never have topped it).

Remember, these are the thoughts of a 16 y/o TAC.

I hear you.  This was right in the midst of my "if it ain't metal, it ain't good" phase (even though I liked a bunch of non-metal bands, so the consistency definitely wasn't there for me).

I'm in the same group here.  I thought Powerslave was the bomb.  It wasn't AS GOOD as Piece of Mind - which was probably my favorite album at that point - because there was filler - the instrumental, The Duellists, and Flash Of The Blade - but the highs - Side two is my favorite Maiden album side from that era - were really high.   By then, Dio was sort of fading for me.  I LOVED Holy Diver, and Last In Line was close, but there was something cartoon-y about Dio that Maiden wasn't, and Sacred Heart just cemented that. 

I don't know that cartoon-y is the right word.  Both bands could be accused of that.  I think the thing with Dio was that the band was a bit of a one-trick pony, and that really set in for me after Sacred Heart.

Quest For Fire has really aged well. And I've always like Sun And Steel.

I love both songs also -- especially S&S.  I don't think paleontological accuracy was the driving goal for Harris when he wrote QFF (which, I believe, was based on the movie, which, despite not featuring any dinosaurs, wasn't all that historically accurate).   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6864 on: September 23, 2021, 05:18:32 PM »
I think the thing with Dio was that the band was a bit of a one-trick pony, and that really set in for me after Sacred Heart.

Probably a bit of a hot take here, but:  To me, Dio (the band) not only was a "one-trick pony," but they forgot the money trick altogether and never managed to duplicate it after Last in Line, IMO.  To me, they have a handful of outstanding tunes, and not much else that I am interested in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6865 on: September 23, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »
I think the thing with Dio was that the band was a bit of a one-trick pony, and that really set in for me after Sacred Heart.

Probably a bit of a hot take here, but:  To me, Dio (the band) not only was a "one-trick pony," but they forgot the money trick altogether and never managed to duplicate it after Last in Line, IMO.  To me, they have a handful of outstanding tunes, and not much else that I am interested in.

Holy Diver and Last in Line set the bar to unreachable heights. Some of Craig G. and Doug A. stuff is decent, the Rowan Robertson stuff didn’t do it for me and I revisited them all in the reissues. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6866 on: September 23, 2021, 05:34:28 PM »
I actually enjoy KTD quite a bit, Doug Aldrich is great on it. But yes those first 2 are untouchable.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6867 on: September 23, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
I actually enjoy KTD quite a bit, Doug Aldrich is great on it. But yes those first 2 are untouchable.

Oooooh yessss forgot about that album! I do like it! Doug is grossly underrated!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6868 on: September 23, 2021, 05:50:55 PM »

Oooooh yessss forgot about that album! I do like it! Doug is grossly underrated!!!

If he's underrated, it's not from his work in Dio. I like KTD too, but I feel like I'm dropping my Dio standards a bit to let it in. Aldrich, and Craig Goldie have zero personality in their playing in Dio.

Rowan Robertson is great on Lock Up The Wolves. That album has a great sound and songs with personality. Hell, even Traci G had personality. Those two albums have a distinct flavor.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6869 on: September 23, 2021, 05:53:51 PM »

If he's underrated, it's not from his work in Dio. I like KTD too, but I feel like I'm dropping my Dio standards a bit to let it in. Aldrich, and Craig Goldie have zero personality in their playing in Dio.

Rowan Robertson is great on Lock Up The Wolves. That album has a great sound and songs with personality. Hell, even Traci G had personality. Those two albums have a distinct flavor.

He was a beast in Lion and Hurricane, love his guitar tone!!! I dig some of his Whitesnake stuff too. He could have replaced Zakk in Ozzy without issue!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:59:55 PM by Glasser »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6870 on: September 23, 2021, 05:55:00 PM »
KTD is a fav of mine too.  Great songs and Doug rips.

Another hot take.....I LOVE Magica!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6871 on: September 23, 2021, 06:05:05 PM »
I guess I'll just put it this way:  I was never more than a casual Dio fan.  I really like a handful of his songs, and don't really connect with much more.  I could probably make a "greatest hits" CD of my favorite songs of his from Sabbath and his solo career, and be perfectly happy with just one CD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6872 on: September 23, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »

Other than Challis and Losing My Insanity, I think Magica kind of blows. ;D

Only Angry Machines is worse. Maybe Master Of The Moon too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6873 on: September 23, 2021, 06:16:40 PM »
Back to IM discussion  :yarr

One thing that Senjutsu has done has re-kindled my love for the band and to start listening to them again.
Powerslave one album I hadn't heard in 15 years or so, it still has magic for me and it has aged very well.
Top 3 Maiden for me, I am sure you can guess the other two?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6874 on: September 23, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »

After two listens, this is my position as well.  Every song is strong, and the majority are pretty great.  I will be surprised if they top this one for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6875 on: September 23, 2021, 09:42:16 PM »
Losfer Words is my favorite Maiden instrumental.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6876 on: September 23, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »

After two listens, this is my position as well.  Every song is strong, and the majority are pretty great.  I will be surprised if they top this one for me.

QFT  :metal

[edit: IMHO of course  ;) ]

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6877 on: September 23, 2021, 10:51:17 PM »

Other than Challis and Losing My Insanity, I think Magica kind of blows. ;D

Only Angry Machines is worse. Maybe Master Of The Moon too.

I thought MOTM was absolutely terrible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6878 on: September 24, 2021, 07:09:50 AM »

Nah, I'm with you.

When I say "cartoon-y" I mean that whole "we're carrying the flag for metal! We rock!" stuff.  That got stale quickly for me (same with Judas Priest).   And while he's rightfully a fantastic singer and frontman, the sort of rep that he got later as the nicest guy in metal was to me a little undeserved.  Sure, he was good to the fans - my friend met him in Hartford and said he was the nicest guy in the world and that was after he stood outside the Bushnell in 280 weather for almost an hour signing everything that was put in front of him - but I remember when the press wasn't so positive.  He fought with Blackmore, he fought with Iommi and Butler (twice), he fought with Campbell...   I don't know; it sounds like I'm slagging him, and I'm not, he's just not on Iron Maiden's level for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6879 on: September 24, 2021, 08:11:37 AM »
I may have a keeper, my girlfriend got me a Senjutsu tshirt as part of my birthday gift  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6880 on: September 24, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
Time to go to the ring store.  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6881 on: September 24, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
I may have a keeper, my girlfriend got me a Senjutsu tshirt as part of my birthday gift  :metal

Marry her!

I don't even like the album that much, and already have two Senjutsu shirts...a friend of mine got the box set, and two shirts were included in the purchase, so he gave me the second one. And the band's PR sent me the Belshazzar's Feast shirt, which is VERY cool, and is not the obvious Maiden shirt design you would expect. I can't wait for the tour!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6882 on: September 24, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
HAHA, I bought a shirt through the fan club and when it came my wife was like "what in hell is THAT?"  :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6883 on: September 24, 2021, 09:38:36 AM »

Nah, I'm with you.

When I say "cartoon-y" I mean that whole "we're carrying the flag for metal! We rock!" stuff.  That got stale quickly for me (same with Judas Priest).   And while he's rightfully a fantastic singer and frontman, the sort of rep that he got later as the nicest guy in metal was to me a little undeserved.  Sure, he was good to the fans - my friend met him in Hartford and said he was the nicest guy in the world and that was after he stood outside the Bushnell in 280 weather for almost an hour signing everything that was put in front of him - but I remember when the press wasn't so positive.  He fought with Blackmore, he fought with Iommi and Butler (twice), he fought with Campbell...   I don't know; it sounds like I'm slagging him, and I'm not, he's just not on Iron Maiden's level for me.

Well...look at the guy's track record:

- For each of the three Rainbow albums, the entire band changed, except for Dio and Blackmore, and then the two of them fell out.
- Two albums with Iommi and Butler and he's gone.
- Three albums with Vivian Campbell and then he's out (there's a video of him on YouTube absolutely excoriating Campbell, which was honestly kind of a bummer to watch).
- One album (plus a live EP) with Craig Goldy and he's gone.
- One album with Rowan Robertson and he's gone.
Etc., etc.

The only guy who seemed to have any staying power with Dio was Vinny Appice, but even he seemed to move in and out of grace.

Compare that to a band like Maiden that's had almost no turnover for 35+ years.  It's a pretty telling thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6884 on: September 24, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
Well, with Rainbow it was really Ritchie's band, so I wouldn't put the lineup changes on Dio's shoulders...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6885 on: September 24, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »

+1
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6886 on: September 24, 2021, 11:08:54 AM »
Speaking of Powerslave, I get the feeling that there isn't a massive amount of love for Flash of the Blade...it might not be a top Maiden song, but I enjoy it a ton. It's a fun tune with a lot of energy, and I'd love to see it live (wouldn't the instrumental section be just great with the three guitars?!)

Online nick_z

« Reply #6887 on: September 24, 2021, 11:16:41 AM »
The Duellists is amazing. That long solo section basically laid the blueprint for some of the long instrumental sections in the Reunion Era.
Sure, it wasn't as proggy as Infinite Dreams or Seventh Son, but when I think of The Red And The Black, it reminds me of The Duellists.

The Duellists is very good - except for the chorus. It's not bad, but it's my least favorite part of the song. But I agree the solo/instrumental part is fantastic.
I don't know if it's just me, but I always thought the vocal melody in the verse is kinda similar to Where Eagles Dare?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6888 on: September 24, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »
Agreed. Powerslave is where the stars aligned for this band. It is better than perfect IMO.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6889 on: September 24, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »
Back to IM discussion  :yarr

One thing that Senjutsu has done has re-kindled my love for the band and to start listening to them again.
Powerslave one album I hadn't heard in 15 years or so, it still has magic for me and it has aged very well.
Top 3 Maiden for me, I am sure you can guess the other two?

For Herrick, Senjutsu has opened the doors to the reunion albums I never really gave a fair chance. I've been listening to those albums (everything from Dance of Death to The Book of Souls) almost exclusively since Senjutsu came out. I've been enjoying them for the most part. I'm still not really sure about them though except for A Matter of Life and Death which became an instant Like.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6890 on: September 24, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »

Nah, I'm with you.

Well...look at the guy's track record:

- For each of the three Rainbow albums, the entire band changed, except for Dio and Blackmore, and then the two of them fell out.
- Two albums with Iommi and Butler and he's gone.
- Three albums with Vivian Campbell and then he's out (there's a video of him on YouTube absolutely excoriating Campbell, which was honestly kind of a bummer to watch).
- One album (plus a live EP) with Craig Goldy and he's gone.
- One album with Rowan Robertson and he's gone.
Etc., etc.

The only guy who seemed to have any staying power with Dio was Vinny Appice, but even he seemed to move in and out of grace.

Compare that to a band like Maiden that's had almost no turnover for 35+ years.  It's a pretty telling thing.

Same situation as with Ozzy, when your wife is the manager the other guys get screwed over. Not a secret.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6891 on: September 24, 2021, 03:51:39 PM »
Hell on Earth could be close to the greatest thing the band has ever done.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6892 on: September 24, 2021, 04:30:51 PM »
For me 'Senjutsu' is the best thing IM have done since 'Seventh Son'  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6893 on: September 24, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »

So my biggest problem with it is that the second half is nowhere near as strong as the first half.

The Parchment has passed it I think.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6894 on: September 24, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »

So my biggest problem with it is that the second half is nowhere near as strong as the first half.

The Parchment has passed it I think.

For me the album gets better as it goes on, building up to grand finale of the last three songs and boom!