Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573269 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6825 on: September 22, 2021, 06:54:07 AM »
I always wonder whether people who complain about the sound of an album are listening on high-end audiophile equipment or just on their tatty phone speaker.

On the flip side, I often wonder if people who compliment the sound of an album have ever listened to it on high-end equipment or just their phone or computer speakers.

Quite.

Although it's also possible to have high-end equipment attached to your PC these days, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6826 on: September 22, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »
I always wonder whether people who complain about the sound of an album are listening on high-end audiophile equipment or just on their tatty phone speaker.

On the flip side, I often wonder if people who compliment the sound of an album have ever listened to it on high-end equipment or just their phone or computer speakers.

I often wonder if people who compliment/complain about the sound have nothing better to do.   ;) :) :) :)   I'm kidding, of course, but to each their own; it's so subjective on so many levels.

There are VERY FEW records where I go "wow that just sounds like ASS" or where I actually notice "wow, that's head and shoulders above!"

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6827 on: September 22, 2021, 11:00:07 AM »

Of course high-end audiophile equipment. Everyone has this equipment at home.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6828 on: September 22, 2021, 11:03:49 AM »

Well...what percentage of the listening audience (of any band) owns "high-end audiophile equipment"?  I'd wager to say it's no more than 5-10%.  Your album should not be produced so that it only sounds good on "high-end audiophile equipment."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #6829 on: September 23, 2021, 01:08:17 AM »

On a forum revolving around a band that tends to appeal to pretty nerdy musician types how about we give people the benefit of the doubt and just assume it's more likely to be the former then the latter?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6830 on: September 23, 2021, 09:37:28 AM »
I don't use high end audio hardware, my ears just aren't that good to make such purchases worth it.  I do however use above average equipment.  Bose headphones, my car has a bose system, my PC uses a nice gaming surround sound headset.  All better than typical speakers or headphones.  But I'm not sure why any of that matters.  If I don't think it sounds good, I doubt a high end system will change my mind.  It might and if it does, what does it matter when I go back to listening to the average equipment?  Granted, the complaints aren't just from single ole cramx3.  It's been a common complaint with IM for awhile. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6831 on: September 23, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »
About halfway through Powerslave, and this is already the best of the first five albums for me so far. This is some killer stuff.  :metal :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #6832 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
What did you think of Piece of Mind (my favorite of the first five)?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6833 on: September 23, 2021, 10:15:57 AM »

I liked it, but I did not love it.  The first half was really good, but the second half didn't seem nearly as good until To Tame a Land, which I thought was the best song on there.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6834 on: September 23, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
Powerslave is probably the best 80’s album (though it’s neck and neck with Somewhere In Time for me). I think The Duellists gets overlooked because of the bookend duos getting all the attention but that’s an absolutely killer song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6835 on: September 23, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »
My apologies for asking such a basic question that has likely been addressed in the past 20 pages or so, but I am WAY behind on this thread and don't have time to read those 20 or so pages.

What do people think of the new album?  I haven't heard anything other than the first single, and am curious how it stands up.  Haven't bought it yet, obviously, and am contemplating whether to get it now or hold off (lots of new music out or coming out, and am trying to prioritize within my music budget). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6836 on: September 23, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
The general consensus appears to be that album is really rather good and a bit of a surprise. Takes a couple of listens but than bam!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6837 on: September 23, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »

Well...what percentage of the listening audience (of any band) owns "high-end audiophile equipment"?  I'd wager to say it's no more than 5-10%.  Your album should not be produced so that it only sounds good on "high-end audiophile equipment."

The ideal mix should "travel", meaning it sounds good no matter what you're listening to it on.  A good mix engineer should be checking on multiple sources, from high end studio monitors (which should be very flat and accurate in terms of their frequency response), to your car speakers (definitely hyped in the low end) to crappy ear buds that came with your phone.  If your mixes don't translate in all of those environments, you've got to know how to fix it.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6838 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
My apologies for asking such a basic question that has likely been addressed in the past 20 pages or so, but I am WAY behind on this thread and don't have time to read those 20 or so pages.

What do people think of the new album?  I haven't heard anything other than the first single, and am curious how it stands up.  Haven't bought it yet, obviously, and am contemplating whether to get it now or hold off (lots of new music out or coming out, and am trying to prioritize within my music budget).

Eeeesh, I feel bad spending your money, but I think this is an essential Maiden record. Whether it's their "best" - either in the reunion years or overall - is up to you, but there's enough here in terms of quantity and that moves the ball forward that if you're a Maiden fan, you will probably find it worth your while.   I think there are some obvious parallels with NMB both in terms of the "two CDs" and the format - the NMB has more straightforward, maybe more focused material on disk one, and the more sprawling epics on disk two.   Maiden is similar; that second CD, with the four songs, is very different in feel and focus than the I think it's six songs on the first CD.

Generally, I think there are quibbles here with the sound, with some of the techniques (the doubled vocal/guitar seems to be getting some attention) and with Bruce's vocals, but I think the consensus is that this is a solid record worth hearing.  I agree with that at a minimum (for me, this is the second best record of the year, behind the NMB).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6839 on: September 23, 2021, 11:17:11 AM »
for me, this is the second best record of the year, behind the NMB

Honestly, that's good enough for me.  Hopefully I was clear on the fact that I intended to get it at some point anyway.  Just a question of how much of a priority I should make it.  I really liked the last two, and am a fan of the reunion era as a whole, so I was leaning on probably getting it now anyway as opposed to holding off. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6840 on: September 23, 2021, 11:28:09 AM »
Album is great and any Maiden fan who has enjoyed the reunion era should check it out and seems likely you'll enjoy it based on the feedback I've read. 

I'm not sure where it ranks for the year yet, but it's up there with the top albums from my list of 2021.

Offline 425

« Reply #6841 on: September 23, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

I liked it, but I did not love it.  The first half was really good, but the second half didn't seem nearly as good until To Tame a Land, which I thought was the best song on there.

I think that's a reasonable assessment. Still Life is a sleeper, but Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel are undoubtedly weaker.

I just like the first three tracks of PoM a whole lot and have a lower opinion of the Losfer Words/Flash of the Blade/The Duelists run on Powerslave than others do.

for me, this is the second best record of the year, behind the NMB

Honestly, that's good enough for me.  Hopefully I was clear on the fact that I intended to get it at some point anyway.  Just a question of how much of a priority I should make it.  I really liked the last two, and am a fan of the reunion era as a whole, so I was leaning on probably getting it now anyway as opposed to holding off. 

From one Final Frontier fan to another: Prioritize this one.

I have the same 2021 top two as Stadler, but with the order reversed.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6842 on: September 23, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »

I lot of times, I find Stadler's musical tastes to be quite suspect, so I take them with a [mountain sized] grain of salt.  :p  But with Maiden and NMB, I think our tastes are close enough.  But with your vote of confidence, I'm pretty stoked for both of these.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6843 on: September 23, 2021, 11:53:48 AM »
Bosk, it's an Iron Maiden record, so in may ways, you kind of know what you're getting. It has had the same criticisms we're read somewhere else, they sound bored, it's the same format for the long songs, etc...

Iron Maiden fans rank Iron Maiden albums like DT fans rank RT albums. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

But I personally love it. I find it most similar to The Final Frontier. Some cool shorter tracks and a bunch of awesome long ones.

It is definitely Top 3 Reunion Era Albums behind TFF and AMOLAD. I am leaving open the possibility of it eventually taking over AMOLAD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6844 on: September 23, 2021, 12:01:40 PM »
Just because it's fun: 
Where Eagles Dare
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Back In The Village

Still Life
2 Minutes To Midnight
Die With Your Boots On
Powerslave
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus

Aces High
The Trooper
To Tame A Land

Flash Of The Blade
The Duellists

Sun And Steel
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Quest For Fire

I'll even throw in the b-sides (Mission From 'Arry is number one because it's fun, but as a song, it would be last):
Mission From 'Arry
King Of Twilight
Rainbow's Gold

I've Got The Fire
Cross-Eyed Mary

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6845 on: September 23, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »

I lot of times, I find Stadler's musical tastes to be quite suspect, so I take them with a [mountain sized] grain of salt.  :p  But with Maiden and NMB, I think our tastes are close enough.  But with your vote of confidence, I'm pretty stoked for both of these.

Exactly!!  Wait,.... what?   :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6846 on: September 23, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »
About halfway through Powerslave, and this is already the best of the first five albums for me so far. This is some killer stuff.  :metal :metal

Cool! Probably the best they ever sounded, and the riffiest for sure. I remember getting this my junior year. I'll be interested to hear if you end up thinking of it as album with awesome bookends but not much in the middle.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6847 on: September 23, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »

There’s nothing as good as Phantom on Killers, but the songs and the vocals are much stronger.

My first impression of Killer is not far from this. Seems like the highs on the debut are higher than anything on Killers.  I didn't think there was as much variety on the second album either outside of Prodigal Son, but that could just be my first impression.  Vocals seem better, yes.

Maybe someone mentioned this but the definitive version of Phantom with Bruce on vocals is either Live After Death or Beast Over Hammersmith. Instruments sound better too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6848 on: September 23, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »

Cool! Probably the best they ever sounded, and the riffiest for sure. I remember getting this my junior year. I'll be interested to hear if you end up thinking of it as album with awesome bookends but not much in the middle.

We must be the same age, as this came out in my junior year. 

I must admit that I was not into this album when it came out. I found it very cliche'd.

Fast song to open which didn't impress me
Song about nuclear war with a recycled riff that I had on by at least 4 other bands by this time.
Instrumental that pales with their previous ones
Title track with a contrived and predictable mid section.
Really long song that felt long for the sake of being long. I was never a huge fan of Rime.

It seemed every interview they did at the time, they were gloating about how awesome they were that they could write a really long song like that.

And an Egyptian styled stage show, a year after Dio came through with one.

I almost (gasp!) skipped the tour that year had Accept not been opening. Even during the show, I have a few memories, and one of them was the "all of you" at the end of Revelations. I remember hearing that live and thinking it was a Dio rip.

I think the only song I liked was Back In The Village.

I remember thinking Somewhere In Time sounded so fresh and new.

That all said, my opinion of Powerslave and SiT has flipped. Powerslave has aged greatly and SiT has not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6849 on: September 23, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »

My favorite.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6850 on: September 23, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
Just because it's fun: 
Where Eagles Dare
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Back In The Village

Still Life
2 Minutes To Midnight
Die With Your Boots On
Powerslave
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus

Aces High
The Trooper
To Tame A Land

Flash Of The Blade
The Duellists

Sun And Steel
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Quest For Fire

Fun, indeed, although I'll omit the B-sides.

To Tame a Land
Where Eagles Dare

Powerslave
Revelations
Aces High
The Trooper
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Sun and Steel
Flight of Icarus

Flash of the Blade
2 Minutes to Midnight

Die with Your Boots On
The Duellists
Quest for Fire
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Still Life
Back in the Village

The only easy choices here were that TTAL is at the top and Eagles is at the top of POM, and the bottom two songs.  The gaps between the nine songs I have ranked 4-12 (Revelations through Boots) are microscopic, and I'd probably rank them differently every day if I did this daily for a week.  Even the two bottom songs aren't bad, but I do typically skip Village.

We must be the same age, as this came out in my junior year. 

I must admit that I was not into this album when it came out. I found it very cliche'd.

Fast song to open which didn't impress me
Song about nuclear war with a recycled riff that I had on by at least 4 other bands by this time.
Instrumental that pales with their previous ones
Title track with a contrived and predictable mid section.
Really long song that felt long for the sake of being long. I was never a huge fan of Rime.

It seemed every interview they did at the time, they were gloating about how awesome they were that they could write a really long song like that.

And an Egyptian styled stage show, a year after Dio came through with one.

I almost (gasp!) skipped the tour that year had Accept not been opening. Even during the show, I have a few memories, and one of them was the "all of you" at the end of Revelations. I remember hearing that live and thinking it was a Dio rip.

Damn...that's harsh, but I can't completely disagree with most of it.

I was a senior when Powerslave came out.  I dug Aces High.  I wasn't a big fan of 2 Minutes, but it wasn't because of the riff.  I'd never heard Swords and Tequila, and I don't think I'd yet bought Restless and Wild and heard Flash Rockin' Man (and I'd definitely never heard Curse of the Pharaohs).  The nuclear war theme seemed a bit contrived too.  I liked Rime, and my opinion about Powerslave couldn't be more different from yours.

As far as both Maiden and Dio having Egyptian themed stage shows, I say meh.  Powerslave and Last in Line came out within a couple months of each other, and Maiden spent the first several months of the World Slavery Tour in Europe and didn't show up in the northeast until mid-January 1985 (by comarison, Dio played Worcester on 8/24/84 (and I think you mentioned earlier that you didn't see them until late May or early June 1985)).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6851 on: September 23, 2021, 03:23:19 PM »
Yeah, I saw Dio in Providence on 8/20/84 and Maiden on 6/2/85. It certainly was a coincidence to be sure. But it just reinforced how I felt about it the whole thing.

I also forgot to mention how every band going made a song about nuclear war during this time period.

But I definitely had Fire Down Under, Restless And Wild, and Power And The Glory, and Holy Diver by the time Powerslave came out.

I didn't feel that Powerslave built on Piece Of Mind in any way. It felt like a step back honestly.

Remember, these are the thoughts of a 16 y/o TAC.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6852 on: September 23, 2021, 03:35:40 PM »
I'm in the same group here.  I thought Powerslave was the bomb.  It wasn't AS GOOD as Piece of Mind - which was probably my favorite album at that point - because there was filler - the instrumental, The Duellists, and Flash Of The Blade - but the highs - Side two is my favorite Maiden album side from that era - were really high.   By then, Dio was sort of fading for me.  I LOVED Holy Diver, and Last In Line was close, but there was something cartoon-y about Dio that Maiden wasn't, and Sacred Heart just cemented that. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6853 on: September 23, 2021, 03:40:18 PM »
The Duellists is amazing. That long solo section basically laid the blueprint for some of the long instrumental sections in the Reunion Era.
Sure, it wasn't as proggy as Infinite Dreams or Seventh Son, but when I think of The Red And The Black, it reminds me of The Duellists.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6854 on: September 23, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
The only thing I'd call filler on Powerslave and even then at a stretch is the instrumental.
While PoM has some killer cuts, also has noticeable drop in standard to the rest of the album in, Sun And Steel and Quest For Fire.

Powerslave also a step up in production and that amazing cover artwork.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6855 on: September 23, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »
Quest For Fire has really aged well. And I've always like Sun And Steel.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6856 on: September 23, 2021, 04:08:24 PM »
Two Minutes, the title song, and Rime are amazing.  Quest for Fire and Aces High are decent and fun on occasion.  The rest are forgettable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6857 on: September 23, 2021, 04:26:05 PM »
Powerslave was in my top 5 in my top 50, I thought it was brilliant.  I loved the guitar tones of the whole album and the whole chug of the rhythm guitars through a lot of the songs scratched me where I itched.  From a rhythm guitar point of view, this might be the tightest album in the whole catalog.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #6858 on: September 23, 2021, 04:33:07 PM »
I think it's been five or six years since I've listened to the full Powerslave. I only care much about four of the songs, and all those songs are better IMO on Live After Death. This discussion has convinced me to give the whole thing another shot soon. Especially Tim's comparison between The Duelists and The Red and the Black.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6859 on: September 23, 2021, 04:36:43 PM »
I love QFF lyrics  :lol

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam

Then the tribes they came to steal their fire
And the wolves they howled into the night