Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573562 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6790 on: September 20, 2021, 07:39:28 PM »
Hey wolfking can you do me a favor and list the older Maiden melodies that some of the melodies in The Parchment and Hell on Earth sound like please? A lot of the melodies in these 2 songs sound really familiar to me but I just can’t remember which older melodies they sound like. You seem really good at remembering what melodies sound like what melodies so that’s why I’m asking you. I would appreciate if you included time stamps too.

Hmmm....I can pick solos but haven't really thought about the melodies.  I'll have a think though mate and see if anything jumps out.

For Hell on Earth though, the main verse melody instantly reminded me of Wild Wind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6791 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:31 PM »

For Hell on Earth though, the main verse melody instantly reminded me of Wild Wind.

Same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6792 on: September 20, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
Thanks a lot man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6793 on: September 20, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »
People seem to call Shirley a Yes Man to Steve.  I've never heard of that from interviews or anything from people inside the band, but it certainly seems likely.  I think a different producer would be looking for some trimming and also a better sound.

Trust me, I have ZERO complaints about the Reunion Era. It is funny how great Piece Of Mind sounds, but to me, it's always about the songs, and they've never been better IMO. Chemistry plays a big part in how the band goes, and with Janick sometimes being a lightning rod, he plays a big part.
But I also I think their relationship with Shirley is underrated.

Oh, I still think it's about the songs and it's why I still think this is a great album.  But I also enjoyed X Factor and one reason I hardly ever listen to it though is because it sounds terrible.  I don't think Senjitsu sounds as bad, but it's the worst of the reunion era IMO.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6794 on: September 20, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »
People seem to call Shirley a Yes Man to Steve.  I've never heard of that from interviews or anything from people inside the band, but it certainly seems likely.  I think a different producer would be looking for some trimming and also a better sound.

How much control does a producer typically have? I've watched the great Rush documentary where Shirley tells Lifeson he can't have any reverb on whatever album it was they were making at the time...but Rush is a band that has been more into drastically changing their sound.

Reunion Maiden has sounded like Reunion Maiden for over 20 years.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6795 on: September 20, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »

How much control does a producer typically have? I've watched the great Rush documentary where Shirley tells Lifeson he can't have any reverb on whatever album it was they were making at the time...but Rush is a band that has been more into drastically changing their sound.

Well, it's been 21 years of Shirley producing all the IM albums now.  So I think you are right, but I think BNW and DoD sound different than the last four albums which all have that more "live" style of sound they seem to go for.  Personally I LOVE the sound of BNW, but that's the only Shirley album I think sounds good.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6796 on: September 20, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »

Well, it's been 21 years of Shirley producing all the IM albums now.  So I think you are right, but I think BNW and DoD sound different than the last four albums which all have that more "live" style of sound they seem to go for.  Personally I LOVE the sound of BNW, but that's the only Shirley album I think sounds good.

Hmm...I've been listening to the last 4 albums a lot over the past few days but I haven't listened to Brave New World in a long time. I should listen to it to see how it differs sonically, but I've never been really good at picking that kind of stuff out. I only really dislike the production when it's really bad like those old Black Metal albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6797 on: September 20, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »

Hmm...I've been listening to the last 4 albums a lot over the past few days but I haven't listened to Brave New World in a long time. I should listen to it to see how it differs sonically, but I've never been really good at picking that kind of stuff out. I only really dislike the production when it's really bad like those old Black Metal albums.

Wait, you’re saying BATHORY “…The Return” has a bad production?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6798 on: September 20, 2021, 09:18:24 PM »

Wait, you’re saying BATHORY “…The Return” has a bad production?

I don't remember if I've heard that one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6799 on: September 20, 2021, 09:21:11 PM »

I'm definitely not the one to take advice from when it comes to sound, it's just my opinion.  I definitely don't have great enough hearing to technically understand the sonic differences other than, just sounds more to my liking.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6800 on: September 20, 2021, 10:14:25 PM »

I agree with this.

I do like how Senjutsu sounds though, don't understand the dislike for the production on this one. 

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6801 on: September 20, 2021, 11:08:43 PM »
Senjutsu is probably the album I’ve listened to the most in the last 2 years! and it just keeps getting better, it’s just a really great album!

And I also don’t think it sounds bad, in fact I have no issue whatsoever with the way it sounds, I think it sounds fine.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6802 on: September 21, 2021, 12:32:22 AM »
Senjutsu sounds great to me.

Another list? For sound quality on the reunion albums?? Great idea:

SOUND:

BNW
Senjutsu / TFF
DOD
AMOLAD
TBOS

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6803 on: September 21, 2021, 04:38:33 AM »
Haven't gotten tired of this album yet.  Still have it on repeat.

Yep!

Have tried to move onto other things but couldn't go a day without  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6804 on: September 21, 2021, 05:47:39 AM »
Thanks a lot man.

Not picking up on anything specific in The Parchment but the last lyric section again reminds me of Wild Wind.

Also, check 8.44 of Wild Wind.  Same exact lick Janick pulls out In his first solo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6805 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:34 AM »
The Daily Doug does Hell On Earth..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWqYLCSnwhI

Not available in my country apparently.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6806 on: September 21, 2021, 06:00:15 AM »
Not here in Sweden either.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline krands85

« Reply #6807 on: September 21, 2021, 06:54:29 AM »
Seems like the USA is pretty much the only country where it isn't blocked at the moment. Doug said he's trying to fix it, but I imagine he'll reupload it to Vimeo if he can't get it unblocked - he did that with The Alien.

If you're desperate to watch now though, a VPN set to the USA will do the trick.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online pg1067

« Reply #6808 on: September 21, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
How about The Classic Era?
I'm using Bruce only songs.

Limiting it to Bruce songs makes this easier, but the under 5 minute category is still insanely hard.

< 5 minutes

The Number of the Beast
The Trooper
Sun and Steel
Aces High
Deja Vu

5-7 minutes

22 Acacia Avenue
Where Eagles Dare
Revelations
Wasted Years
Moonchild

>7 minutes

Hallowed Be Thy Name
To Tame a Land
Powerslave
Alexander the Great
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6809 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:07 PM »
Any word on a "senjutso tour"? I know they still have to finish the LOTB tour in summer '22 but damn, that's a long time to wait before touring this great album!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6810 on: September 21, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
Any word on a "senjutso tour"? I know they still have to finish the LOTB tour in summer '22 but damn, that's a long time to wait before touring this great album!

https://bravewords.com/features/iron-maiden-scheduled-to-tour-senjutsu-next-june-i-think-the-performances-from-all-my-bandmates-are-superb-theyre-just-magic-says-nicko-mcbrain

This is a short, but very interesting interview with Nicko. He says the Senjutsu tour will start in June.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6811 on: September 21, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »
I do like how Senjutsu sounds though, don't understand the dislike for the production on this one.

Well I can understand, for a 'metal' album it just sounds so different to almost every modern metal album.
Most albums sound like absolute crap, over compressed, mastered too loud and mix is so blurry you can just about make out a few instruments and the drums sounds like someone is tapping on a plastic food container.

While Senjutsu is crystal clear with all the instruments gleaming, drums sound so crisp, maybe Bruce's vocals are a little lower than normal, but it all fits and sounds perfectly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6812 on: September 21, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »
The only song I feel like Bruce's vocals are a bit low in the mix is the first track.

Offline 425

« Reply #6813 on: September 21, 2021, 04:02:35 PM »
I think it sounds fine. Not amazing, but markedly better than DoD and AMOLAD at least.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6814 on: September 21, 2021, 04:09:25 PM »

https://bravewords.com/features/iron-maiden-scheduled-to-tour-senjutsu-next-june-i-think-the-performances-from-all-my-bandmates-are-superb-theyre-just-magic-says-nicko-mcbrain

This is a short, but very interesting interview with Nicko. He says the Senjutsu tour will start in June.

I came here looking for a Rush post. I am disappoint.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6815 on: September 21, 2021, 04:11:29 PM »
Hah! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6816 on: September 21, 2021, 04:25:56 PM »
The only song I feel like Bruce's vocals are a bit low in the mix is the first track.

Agree totally.

Offline 425

« Reply #6817 on: September 21, 2021, 04:55:59 PM »
How about The Classic Era?
I'm using Bruce only songs.

I want to go ahead and give this a shot.

<5 minutes:
1. The Clairvoyant
2. Only the Good Die Young
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Aces High
5. The Trooper

5-7 minutes:
1. Revelations
2. Where Eagles Dare
3. Stranger in a Strange Land
4. Infinite Dreams
5. Moonchild

7+ minutes
1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3. Alexander the Great
4. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
5. Caught Somewhere in Time

Can you tell what my favorite 80s album is? ;D
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6818 on: September 21, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »
Deep dive update:

I liked Killers probably about as much as the debut.  I don't think its highs were as high, but it sounded better.  Drums had more punch, in particular.  Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, the title track, Another Life and Prodigal Son are the songs I liked the most.  The rest was all solid.

I knew the majority of The Number of the Beast already, but after listening to the first two albums and then this one, the improvement in overall sound quality is pretty obvious.  Always liked Run to the Hills a lot, and Invaders is a kick ass opener.  Children of the Damned and the title track are both very good as well.  Still not buying the hype on Hallowed Be Thy Name; seems great musically, but all of the vocal melodies are a blur to me. 

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #6819 on: September 21, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
I like this album a lot. My only gripe is the guitar that follows the vocals is a little annoying. Parchment is probably my favorite. Has a bit of a To Tame a Land feel.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6820 on: September 21, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
I like this album a lot. My only gripe is the guitar that follows the vocals is a little annoying. Parchment is probably my favorite. Has a bit of a To Tame a Land feel.

Good shout this.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6821 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »

I took this as being taken out of context. I think he was talking about the resumption of the LOTB tour which takes place starting in June.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #6822 on: September 22, 2021, 03:40:17 AM »
And I also don’t think it sounds bad, in fact I have no issue whatsoever with the way it sounds, I think it sounds fine.

Book Of Souls was hanging on to the edge of sounding bad. With Senjutsu they've been pulled back up but are still teetering on the brink.

Post Brave New World it feels to me like there's push and pull going on between Steve Harris trying to make albums that sound like NPFTD, TXF and Virtual XI and someone with functioning ears trying to not let it sound so lackadaisical.

Ultimately if the songs are good then ropey production, up to a point, is a niggle and I really like all the songs on Senjutsu. I didn't like most of the songs on Book Of Souls so maybe that informs my opinion on its sound more than I would like to believe.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6823 on: September 22, 2021, 05:40:16 AM »
I always wonder whether people who complain about the sound of an album are listening on high-end audiophile equipment or just on their tatty phone speaker.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6824 on: September 22, 2021, 06:25:41 AM »
I always wonder whether people who complain about the sound of an album are listening on high-end audiophile equipment or just on their tatty phone speaker.

On the flip side, I often wonder if people who compliment the sound of an album have ever listened to it on high-end equipment or just their phone or computer speakers.