Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572367 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6685 on: September 16, 2021, 01:32:09 AM »
I can't really rank them, they're all so good that the quality is all there, and the differences in overall quality are so minor that no way the album I'd put last is six albums behind the first one.

I mean, if I put No Prayer well below Piece of Mind, Seventh Son and 666 it's a fair ranking, putting, say, Final Frontier behind Book of Souls, Dance of Death and Senjutsu is not fair.

Maybe I could sum up what I love in few words...

BNW = great comeback, maybe a bit safe
DOD = great personal memories, insanely high points, a couple of throwaway tracks
Matter = grew over time, all tracks are great, can't complain but after having DOD so much the difference is there
FF = same template of songs as Matter, overall enjoyable but more of the same
BoS = awesome and daring, felt a bit fresh, some utter masterpieces and some lesser songs
Senjutsu = once again, it suffers from 6 years of having loved the previous one but it's a grower. Very enjoyable experience. The "same ol' tricks" however are more evident than ever.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6686 on: September 16, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »
Regarding the onstage antics. I saw Maiden here in Dallas in 1999 at the long defunct Bronco Bowl. Virtual XI was the latest studio album and I think they were touring for the Ed Hunter game which may have not even been released at that point. I went into that show clueless with some friends who simply wanted to see "Iron Maiden". No one know who was in the band. Hell, I still thought Blaze was still their singer and was still pretty casual in my fandom myself.

So you can imagine my surprise when Maiden took the stage and there was Bruce fronting the band! I was completely shocked and had no clue that he had rejoined. What a cool way to find out that Bruce was back! Plus they had three guitarists. This also perplexed me. I thought Maiden only had two guitarists? As a casual Maiden fan, I did not know the guitarists names or who did what. I did notice that one guitarist spent like 70% of the show spinning his guitar around his head (probably exaggerating the way memory cheats). But the music and performance was awesome. They played almost all of the Ed Hunter greatest hits package so the set was killer. This performance left a big impact on my friends who loved all the rock'n'roll spectacle stuff. They absolutely loved Janick spinning his guitar! Well the same group of us went to see Maiden again in 2010 for the TFF tour hoping to relive the experience, and as you could guess everyone in our group pretty much hated the show. Probably mostly due to the set list of newer material. But I remember the distinct disappointment from my friends (again these are casual music listeners) that "the guitarist" wasn't spinning his guitar enough :lol  (like he was at that impressionable performance 10 years earlier). Our comedy quote of that evening: "They no longer gallop. They only march." 

I've been trying to understand all this in hindsight. My guess is when Adrian came back that immediately plugged a hole freeing Janick up to do whatever he pleases on stage (so he was basically a 5th wheel for much of that '99 show of mostly older pre-90s material). However, as time went by, Maiden had more of a chance to work together and to really integrate the 3 guitar thing to all their past songs. Maybe on the Ed Hunter tour the merger was too fresh, so depending on the song one of the guitarists was surplus to requirements. I've also had a chance to go back and review that 2010 setlist to try to understand why it was so lacking in up tempo numbers. Let's just say you have to be a big fan of BNW, DoD and AMoLaD to like that setlist.

Anyhow, guitar dancing aside, the pyrotechnics will always get the biggest applause at any live shows..be it Kiss, Rush, etc... It's probably part of our monkey DNA.

Very cool post.  :tup

Thanks for taking the time to read!  :)

I've been meaning to share the experience of my 1st Maiden show for some time now, but could never quite find the right words to make such an inherently long and tedious post. This whole old vs. new fan thing provides the perfect context.

Offline 425

« Reply #6687 on: September 16, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »
Can we get some love for Nicko? I'm not a person who focuses a lot on drumming, but I really like a lot of his work on this album, and it feels like he's by far the least-discussed member of the band. His playing on the title track really stood out to me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6688 on: September 16, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
Can we get some love for Nicko? I'm not a person who focuses a lot on drumming, but I really like a lot of his work on this album, and it feels like he's by far the least-discussed member of the band. His playing on the title track really stood out to me.

Just a beast.  His tempos especially on this album seem tight as hell.  I thought he has been a little sloppy on the last couple but this one he's on point.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6689 on: September 17, 2021, 12:13:05 AM »

Just a beast.  His tempos especially on this album seem tight as hell.  I thought he has been a little sloppy on the last couple but this one he's on point.

Exactly. I've found him a bit frustrating since AMOLAD but he's SO good on this one.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6690 on: September 17, 2021, 12:38:08 AM »
A lot of care has been taken on this one in regards to timings and tempos and transitions between sections.  There has been some suspect transitions previously but this is the tightest the band has sounded together for a while.  Nicko stepping up his game is obviously the main reason.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6691 on: September 17, 2021, 04:21:20 AM »
Hmmm......the 2 minute to 7 minute section of Hell on Earth is 5 of the best minutes of music this band has ever come up with.  It's incredible.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6692 on: September 17, 2021, 04:39:11 AM »
Hmmm......the 2 minute to 7 minute section of Hell on Earth is 5 of the best minutes of music this band has ever come up with.  It's incredible.

Indeed, imagine if it was a shorter and punchier song, a kickass closer in the vein of Only the Good Die Young.

I mean, the song works good also with the long intro and the quiet outro, but if it was all fast it would have been way memorable and a surprise, considering how they always have the "final epic" on their albums.

Anyway, the final three songs are all good, they're not a 30 minutes slug impossible to get through.

Death of the Celts is fun and catchy, Parchment is absolutely insane, and Hell on Earth is bombastic and ends the album on a high note (pity for the quiet outro, also When the Wild Wind Blows had this problem of blowing out its load early and have the best parts of the song too soon, in WTWWB's case basically at the beginning).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6693 on: September 17, 2021, 05:15:03 AM »
I don't know, I get what you mean but I think it's quite perfect how it is.  The quiet intro certainly doesn't feel like 2 minutes and 10 whatever seconds.  I'm not it would have the same impact as a short 5 minute song.

Parchment is just unbelievable.  That has potential to make a top 20 Maiden list already for me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6694 on: September 17, 2021, 06:50:36 AM »
Nicko said in a recent interview with Chris Jericho, that the title track (Senjutsu) was very challenging for him to play on the drums.  He explained that it was a style he never played before and that he really struggled to iron out all the parts before recording it in the studio.
I love the drums in that song, and the entire album as well. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6695 on: September 17, 2021, 07:25:01 AM »
I've warmed up more to this album the last week. Hell On Earth is the standout track for me at this point.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline 425

« Reply #6696 on: September 17, 2021, 07:32:57 AM »
Nicko said in a recent interview with Chris Jericho, that the title track (Senjutsu) was very challenging for him to play on the drums.  He explained that it was a style he never played before and that he really struggled to iron out all the parts before recording it in the studio.
I love the drums in that song, and the entire album as well.

Interesting that he mentioned that one specifically, because that's exactly the vibe I got—that it was something new that he pulled off really well.

I agree with wolfking that the band feels really tight on this one, with Nicko being a big part of that.

Parchment is just unbelievable.  That has potential to make a top 20 Maiden list already for me.

Absolutely with you there. It's such a beautifully composed piece.

Reading some of the disagreements, here and elsewhere online, between reunion era fans and older fans who criticize this album, among other things, for being too repetitive, I'm starting think one of the strengths of reunion-era Maiden songwriting is repetition with slight variation. They're getting all the emotional power out of each melodic idea. It's something that they (particularly Steve) started really using a lot on TXF and especially VXI, and it was a bit more obvious and awkward on those early albums, where he'd often just repeat a chorus a bunch of times. But on the last few albums I think it's been pulled off very artfully.

To me, it's really wonderful—each one of these long songs is an experience; it feels like each idea is given its space and time to develop and have its full impact. But I understand that's not something that appeals to everyone, and it's a completely different sort of approach than the one that makes Aces High or The Trooper great songs.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6697 on: September 17, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »
I've started skipping The Darkest Hour   :o

It's very well executed but I don't really get the lyrics (except that its a reference to Churchill and WW2) and it's v slow.

I don't feel like skipping any other tracks, but yeah. That.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6698 on: September 17, 2021, 09:14:35 AM »
I just don't get the Jupiter part and being naked, for the rest, it's quite clearly about Churchill.

First stanza is probably the disaster at Dunkirk; then the second verse is Churchill lamenting against the appeasing policy and how he knew Hitler was bad news.
The bridge is about resisting for six years (1939-1945) and the verse after the chorus is about resisting and fighting for England.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6699 on: September 17, 2021, 10:26:42 AM »
I just don't get the Jupiter part and being naked, for the rest, it's quite clearly about Churchill.

First stanza is probably the disaster at Dunkirk; then the second verse is Churchill lamenting against the appeasing policy and how he knew Hitler was bad news.
The bridge is about resisting for six years (1939-1945) and the verse after the chorus is about resisting and fighting for England.

It's the chorus I don't get. I think black dog and Jupiter are references to depression.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6700 on: September 17, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »
Jupiter - the planet (as opposed to the God) - goes into retrograde in late June.  D-Day was June 6, and the couple weeks after were the tipping point of the war to many.  I don't know if that's an exact lineup, but that could be part of it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6701 on: September 17, 2021, 11:44:01 AM »

It's the chorus I don't get. I think black dog and Jupiter are references to depression.

"Every dog has its day" is an expression about how everyone gets a lucky day sooner or later, dunno why it's black....

BTW I remember in an interview Bruce describing the song and how Churchill, with all his flaws, was stedfast against the nazi menace, and he was like Gandalf - "you shall not pass!", so he actually did sneak a Lord of the Rings quote into the lyrics  :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6702 on: September 17, 2021, 11:46:12 AM »
I've started skipping The Darkest Hour   :o

It's very well executed but I don't really get the lyrics (except that its a reference to Churchill and WW2) and it's v slow.

I don't feel like skipping any other tracks, but yeah. That.

WOW!

Offline 425

« Reply #6703 on: September 17, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »

"Every dog has its day" is an expression about how everyone gets a lucky day sooner or later, dunno why it's black....

BTW I remember in an interview Bruce describing the song and how Churchill, with all his flaws, was stedfast against the nazi menace, and he was like Gandalf - "you shall not pass!", so he actually did sneak a Lord of the Rings quote into the lyrics  :D

The black dog is definitely a reference to depression. That's what Churchill called it. Bruce mentioned this in an interview.

And Darkest Hour is one of the best songs on the album, in my opinion.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6704 on: September 17, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »

I read somewhere that "black dog" was a euphemism for Churchill's depression/depressive moods.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6705 on: September 17, 2021, 12:37:34 PM »
"black dog" is definitely a reference to depression. Jupiter isn't. I was thinking of Neptune.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6706 on: September 17, 2021, 12:58:28 PM »
A lot of care has been taken on this one in regards to timings and tempos and transitions between sections.  There has been some suspect transitions previously but this is the tightest the band has sounded together for a while.  Nicko stepping up his game is obviously the main reason.

Couldn't have said it better. It's part of what's making this album stand out so much for me.

[...]
Reading some of the disagreements, here and elsewhere online, between reunion era fans and older fans who criticize this album, among other things, for being too repetitive, I'm starting think one of the strengths of reunion-era Maiden songwriting is repetition with slight variation. They're getting all the emotional power out of each melodic idea. It's something that they (particularly Steve) started really using a lot on TXF and especially VXI, and it was a bit more obvious and awkward on those early albums, where he'd often just repeat a chorus a bunch of times. But on the last few albums I think it's been pulled off very artfully.

To me, it's really wonderful—each one of these long songs is an experience; it feels like each idea is given its space and time to develop and have its full impact. But I understand that's not something that appeals to everyone, and it's a completely different sort of approach than the one that makes Aces High or The Trooper great songs.

This is a great way to look at it, and I think the comment about how it's a different approach from the earlier stuff is very valid. I think "repetition with slight variation" is part of what makes a song like No More Lies or For the Greater Good of God so cool to me; they really explore different moods with these tunes and deliver on their potential.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6707 on: September 17, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
Finally giving the new album a first listen. Wish me luck.  :metal

I'm trying not to think about the fact that this music was recorded almost 3 years before it got released..

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6708 on: September 17, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »
Well, it's definitely another post-Reunion Iron Maiden album.
Not a bad thing, just exactly what I expected.

2nd disc seems better. In fact, "just another post Reunion album" doesn't quite fit for disc 2. Some nice surprises in there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 01:59:47 PM by darkshade »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6709 on: September 17, 2021, 02:10:26 PM »
Going back to Nicko for a second. I think he has been FANTASTIC throughout the Reunion Era. I feel the entire band upped their game for the Reunion Era, and Nicko absolutely has.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6710 on: September 17, 2021, 02:28:37 PM »
Speaking of No More Lies, that song instantly sprung to mind when I first heard LIALW.  Still does.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6711 on: September 17, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »
I love No More Lies.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6712 on: September 17, 2021, 02:30:49 PM »
I appreciated the pure simplicity of that song.  Great mood too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6713 on: September 17, 2021, 03:03:21 PM »

I agree. And they only play that chorus once!! ;D

The Reunion Era is filled with sections like this, and it's why IRON MAIDEN RULES!!

The Parchment from 6:45 on..   "Meet me tttttthhhhhhhhhheeeeeeerrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee"!
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate...the last 4+ minutes
The Nomad...4:30-7:45
The Red And The Black...5:00-12:30
Empire Of The Clouds..The whole fucking thing!

The Reunion Era albums are jacked with great songs.

Offline 425

« Reply #6714 on: September 17, 2021, 03:23:11 PM »
I love No More Lies.

No More Lies is one that's really grown on me just in the last few years. I think that, like a lot of people, I got hung up on the repetition of the title, and didn't fully appreciate the beauty of the full song. But it's a really lovely, melodic song.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6715 on: September 17, 2021, 03:28:50 PM »
For the most part, Dickinson sounds pretty good on Senjutsu but The Writing on The Wall...ouch.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6716 on: September 17, 2021, 06:43:08 PM »
Phenomenal footage of The Book Of Souls live.

https://youtu.be/5MbBopUzw1c?t=73

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6717 on: September 17, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »
Here is a picture of me and my youngest son taken on 7/19/17 before Iron Maiden took the stage on the Book Of Souls tour.

He is sporting my No Prayer For New York event shirt with the WTC (I saw them at Brendan Byrne). I have my Fear Of The Dark tour shirt.
He's 14 in this pic, which is notable because I was 14 when I saw Iron Maiden for the first time...in 1983. Of course I didn't go with my Dad!
He was generally interested in the experience, and really took one for his mother.  :lol
He's not a fan, but was highly impressed by Bruce.

* Photo by Kingshmegland.

* Photo by TAC
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 07:13:15 PM by TAC »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6718 on: September 17, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
He is sporting my No Prayer For New York event shirt with the WTC (I saw them at Brendan Byrne).

Only a local NJ guy would know what this is these days, very cool though  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6719 on: September 17, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »
He is sporting my No Prayer For New York event shirt with the WTC (I saw them at Brendan Byrne).

Only a local NJ guy would know what this is these days, very cool though  :metal

My college roommate lived in Wayne NJ, so we always planned visits around concerts. I saw a bunch of shows at the Meadowlands, and in the NY area. Saw Metallica on the Justice tour in '89 there too.