Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573514 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6545 on: September 11, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
Current ranking without Senjutsu;

1. TFF
2. BNW
3. AMOLAD
4. DOD
5. TBOS

TFF has only recently taken the top spot.  I'm surprised how well it's aged for me.  I still can't say where Senjutsu would rank.  It could get 2nd or 3rd though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6546 on: September 11, 2021, 03:59:30 PM »
I have officially added Stratego and Days Of Future Past to my Iron Maiden 5 Minutes To Midnight playlist.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6547 on: September 11, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »
I have officially added Stratego and Days Of Future Past to my Iron Maiden 5 Minutes To Midnight playlist.

Sub 5 minute songs I'm guessing?

This is a cool idea, I'd like to see what Is come up with if limiting to 10 or 12 songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6548 on: September 11, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »

This is a cool idea, I'd like to see what Is come up with if limiting to 10 or 12 songs.

Yes. If it's 5 and change, that's fine too.

It's only songs with Bruce, and there's only 28 tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #6549 on: September 11, 2021, 04:11:29 PM »

That is indeed a very cool idea. Is it only Bruce on purpose, or it just so happens no DiAnno songs make it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6550 on: September 11, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »

That is indeed a very cool idea. Is it only Bruce on purpose, or it just so happens no DiAnno songs make it?

It's just Studio Bruce. I didn't want a playlist that would alternate between Bruce, Paul, and Blaze.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6551 on: September 11, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »
I'll have a crack at that tonight.  I think I'll go sub 5 though personally.  I might aim for a single CD, 80 minutes max.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6552 on: September 11, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
I'll have a crack at that tonight.  I think I'll go sub 5 though personally.  I might aim for a single CD, 80 minutes max.

9 of the 28 are 5:00 and change with Stratego being 5:00 even.

The 9 you'd lose are:

Back In The Village
Moonchild
The Prophecy
Fear Is The Key
Montesegur
The Pilgrim
Mother Of Mercy
Coming Home
Speed Of Light

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6553 on: September 11, 2021, 05:18:09 PM »
Moonchild, Fear is the Key and Montsegur are big losses actually.

Stratego I'll allow if I choose to use it, we'll see.

Speaking of Fear is the Key, I never did understand the hate.  Great song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6554 on: September 11, 2021, 05:25:13 PM »
I love Fear Is The Key. Love it. Always have since Day 1. It has a really cool arrangement, and Bruce pays homage to Ian Gillan. Great track with outstanding and poignant lyrics.

Actually, the Fear Of The Dark album has a ton of great lyrics.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6555 on: September 11, 2021, 07:30:27 PM »
Those complaining that they could have shaved it down to a single CD, I think it's quite deliberate by the band.
I am guessing that it's all part of the listening experience of having a two disc set.
I for one love the intro's and outro's and that it's split into 2 sides, similar to the vinyl days before CD's came along.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6556 on: September 11, 2021, 07:32:11 PM »

I for one love the intro's and outro's and that it's split into 2 sides, similar to the vinyl days before CD's came along.

Interesting thought.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6557 on: September 11, 2021, 07:37:58 PM »
Moonchild, Fear is the Key and Montsegur are big losses actually.

Stratego I'll allow if I choose to use it, we'll see.

Speaking of Fear is the Key, I never did understand the hate.  Great song.

Montsegur! Now there's a fine song I must drag out again asap.  Of all the Post-reunion albums Dance Of Death is the Darkhorse that's fer sure \m/

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6558 on: September 11, 2021, 07:44:27 PM »
This is just so randomly stupid, it made me laugh heartily...

Their faces fit the roles perfectly...Nicko does look like that happy Tuba player.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6559 on: September 11, 2021, 08:08:43 PM »
Listening to Stratego again right now. More of a canter than a gallop. Very stately and powerful. Still too soon to tell but...this may be my favorite reunion era record. I usually have to skip some tracks. Here, I don't want to skip anything!

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6560 on: September 11, 2021, 09:02:25 PM »
Those complaining that they could have shaved it down to a single CD, I think it's quite deliberate by the band.
I am guessing that it's all part of the listening experience of having a two disc set.

Thanks for bringing this up. I for one really dig the "two-sided" experience to this, and think that The Time Machine works as an excellent closer for Act I, juist as Hell on Earth does for Act II, so to speak.

The apparent rationale reminds me of when Helloween did Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy – both CDs add up to 77 minutes, which as far as I know is within the range for a single CD. Presentation counts!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6561 on: September 12, 2021, 01:08:14 AM »
AMOLAD
Senjutsu
DOD
BNW
TBOS
TFF

I graded each song (0-10) and averaged the albums. I was surprised by Senjutsu's position.  :omg:

Listening to the record I didn't realize that it would be above DOD and BNW.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6562 on: September 12, 2021, 03:47:36 AM »
I kind of just realised for the first time that there is only one song on NPFTD that's over 5 minutes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6563 on: September 12, 2021, 04:29:02 AM »
Iron Maiden - Under 5 Minutes to Midnight

1. Aces High
2. Stratego
3. No Prayer for the Dying
4. Public Enema Number One
5. Invaders
6. The Alchemist
7. The Trooper
8. Childhood's End
9. Purgatory
10. The Evil That Men Do
11. Justice of the Peace
12. Fates Warning
13. Be Quick or Be Dead
14. Rainmaker
15. Children of the Damned
16. The Fallen Angel
17. Judgement Day
18. Judas Be My Guide
19. Run Silent Run Deep

Running Time: 78:02

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6564 on: September 12, 2021, 05:06:36 AM »

Thanks for bringing this up. I for one really dig the "two-sided" experience to this, and think that The Time Machine works as an excellent closer for Act I, juist as Hell on Earth does for Act II, so to speak.

I think Darkest Hour would've worked better as a side-closer, personally.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #6565 on: September 12, 2021, 05:42:20 AM »

I think Darkest Hour would've worked better as a side-closer, personally.
Agreed! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6566 on: September 12, 2021, 07:11:19 AM »
I kind of just realised for the first time that there is only one song on NPFTD that's over 5 minutes.

Kade, I think you just hit on No Prayer's main problem.

The short songs on No Prayer are actually really good. Excellent, even.
No Prayer For The Dying (2021 Steve would've added 7 extra minutes turned this into a 12 minute masterpiece)
Run Silent Run Deep
Public Enema Number One
Fates Warning

But the "epic", Mother Russia, is really weak. As is the opener, Tailgunner. These are spots that Maiden is generally pretty strong at.

But these lesser "supporting" tracks are as strong as an other album's.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6567 on: September 12, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
I always thought Tailgunner was a pretty great opener. It’s basically an alternate Aces High but it’s fast and energetic. I think Mother Russia could’ve been extended a bit more. I love the song but it just comes and goes too quickly. RSRD is the real masterpiece of this album…I wish this song would’ve gotten more attention and been played live.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6568 on: September 12, 2021, 07:55:46 AM »
Iron Maiden always had great album openers up until that point. I always thought Tailgunner was such a let down. I actually love its intro.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6569 on: September 12, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »
I've forced myself to listen 3 times now and I'm still not connecting with this album. Not sure which guitarist is doubling the vocals but the tone on many songs kind of grates on my ears. As of now, this one is at the bottom of the reunion albums.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6570 on: September 12, 2021, 12:25:44 PM »
I've forced myself to listen 3 times now and I'm still not connecting with this album. Not sure which guitarist is doubling the vocals but the tone on many songs kind of grates on my ears. As of now, this one is at the bottom of the reunion albums.

It's Jannick.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6571 on: September 12, 2021, 02:06:42 PM »
Got my physical copy today. I had listened to Senjutsu several times already, of course, but gave it a break until I could pop in my CD and give it my full attention again.

So, I sat down with the booklet, like good ol' times, and had Wolfking's track by track comments open as well (as they are always a pleasure to read - plus I get to know who did what with the solos!)...

...and I think I can say I liked it even more. I find this to be an extremely enjoyable, latter day-Maiden album. Again, it's still very early for any kind of ranking, but at the moment I'm liking it better than The Book of Souls. It certainly feels like it goes by much faster. It might be a little darker in tone, but as a listening experience it's a breeze...Sure, as usual, I'd agree certain songs/parts would have benefitted from some trimming - but it wouldn't be a (reunion) Maiden album otherwise, would it?

Just adding to the various comments I had made earlier:
- Very good performance from Bruce. I said earlier (when the singles came out) I wished he wouldn't try and reach for the stratosphere as often, as he doesn't sound quite as comfortable in it as he used to (understandably!). And I think he, um, listened  :biggrin: some great vocal melodies littered all over the place too.
- Most songs have grown over several listens. One that kind of stayed where it was is Stratego - it's a fine track, and I enjoy it, but I'm not nuts about it
- Speaking of growing - the one that did the most is Darkest Hour. Great song. I agree it has a Wasting Love vibe, both in the clean guitars accompanying the verse and in the chorus melody. I find it generally more poignant (I guess because of the subject matter) - I do enjoy Wasting Love, btw! And the solos are incredibly good. I wish they revisited the "pre-chorus" (I watch the sun move away...)
- Still love The Time Machine. I agree the intro/outro is kind of "there", but the song itself is cracking. Some familiar sounding parts here and there, but the whole package is fantastic
- As for Harris' epics: I still maintain Lost in a Lost World is great and Death of the Celts is the least remarkable. It's certainly a fun song - and I totally agree with Wolfking the "Gary Moore" section is super-cool and the Clansman-like section after the last solo is brilliant. But overall it's the epic I connect to the least. On the other hand, I LOVE The Parchment. The main initial riff after the intro has a Rainbow feel mixed in with some epic-doom...then the section right after the first solo - so tasty. There isn't a whole lot of variation in tempo for most of the song's duration but, man, all the solos, then the reprise of the main riff, Bruce's delivery...it's all excellent. And then him singing "Meet me there", with the change of pace for the song's finale...I just wish they had some sort of 7th Son-style twin guitar solo before the big, final unison, but I'm not complaining. Finally, Hell on Earth: I've said before, this has gotten better and better. Great melodies. Still a bit annoyed with the guitar-following-vocals thingy - it's not the only song where that happens, but it's especially noticeable here, as it's in the verse, pre-chorus AND chorus  :biggrin: Incidentally, I do echo the sentiment expressed here that it's a bit of a crime to have a chorus so good only repeated once (Is Steve Harris messing with us complaining about too much repetition?). But at the same time it's telling of how different the song structures are on this album.  Love Bruce's singing on the "Love in Anger..." part.

All in all, I'm quite happy with Senjutsu. I keep wanting to go back to it, and that's a good sign!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6572 on: September 12, 2021, 03:20:44 PM »

It's Jannick.

Yeah, 9 times out of 10 it's him.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6573 on: September 12, 2021, 03:21:39 PM »

No Prayer For The Dying (2021 Steve would've added 7 extra minutes turned this into a 12 minute masterpiece)
Run Silent Run Deep
Public Enema Number One
Fates Warning

But the "epic", Mother Russia, is really weak. As is the opener, Tailgunner. These are spots that Maiden is generally pretty strong at.

Agree.  The so called filler tracks are better than the main singles and promoted tracks.

Never really cared for Tailgunner either.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6574 on: September 12, 2021, 03:23:51 PM »
Great writeup Nick and thanks for the plug.  Agree with most you said.  If I were rating the Harris songs, Celts is easily the weakest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6575 on: September 12, 2021, 03:25:05 PM »
Great writeup Nick and thanks for the plug.  Agree with most you said.  If I were rating the Harris songs, Celts is easily the weakest.

Yes. But the A Change Of Seasons intro is growing on me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6576 on: September 12, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »

Interesting.  I'll listen with that in mind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6577 on: September 12, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »

Interesting.  I'll listen with that in mind.

Yeah, the first 20-22 seconds or so.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6578 on: September 12, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »

Run Silent Run Deep
Public Enema Number One
Fates Warning

Except Hooks in You - that's one of the biggest pieces of garbage EVER. Can't believe that Smith is partially responsible for it. Horrible track as is Holy Smoke. And Bring Your Daughter isn't much better. 

While not the greatest tracks ever, I don't have a problem with either Mother Russia or Tailgunner or the rest of the album. The rest of the album is good to my ears.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6579 on: September 12, 2021, 07:39:36 PM »
Scotty pretty much summed up my opinion on the album. it was definitely a huge letdown. FOTD (IMO) was a much better version of the same (let’s strip things down) idea.

But there are certain songs from both NPFTD and VXI that make me embarrassed to be a Maiden fan sometimes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude