Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573525 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6475 on: September 09, 2021, 04:06:48 PM »
Finally had time to get in my first listen.

Guys...

This is a triumph. It's everything I could have wanted from an Iron Maiden album and then some more on top of that.

Geez, don't hold back, man!

:lol

I'm still digesting, but yeah, this album kicks ass.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6476 on: September 09, 2021, 04:07:10 PM »
Finally had time to get in my first listen.

Guys...

This is a triumph. It's everything I could have wanted from an Iron Maiden album and then some more on top of that.

Give it a few more listens, I'm sure it will grow on you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #6477 on: September 09, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »
:lol

I mean, yeah, granted it could settle in differently. But they went all-in on the side of their sound I like best (reminder: TFF is my favorite Maiden album) and advanced in some ways on what they'd done previously in that style, and I really enjoyed the result. I think I also have a record of usually not having big reactions, either positive or negative, on first listen, so when I like something this much right away, it means something.

Also, whoever decided to record the sound of The Writing on the Wall playing on an iPod Touch speaker from across the room and upload that to YouTube instead of the real audio owes the band an apology. That song comes across so much better on the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6478 on: September 09, 2021, 04:33:47 PM »
Nah, seriously, I think I'm with you.  This album is very promising so far.  I haven't felt the urge to take it out of the car but I know I should to try and avoid overpaying it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6479 on: September 09, 2021, 04:35:48 PM »
(reminder: TFF is my favorite Maiden album)

While I acknowledge that AMOLAD is the definitive Reunion Era album, yeah, I personally like TFF just a little more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6480 on: September 09, 2021, 04:38:39 PM »
Lately, I'd easily take TFF over AMOLAD.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6481 on: September 09, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »
Enjoying the reviews here. Very happy with Senjutsu, I like it more than TBOS right off the bat, jury is still out on where it places but it’s top five potential at the very least. Steve wrote some of his best melodies and each guitarist wrote some of their best solos.  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6482 on: September 09, 2021, 04:50:19 PM »
Enjoying the reviews here. Very happy with Senjutsu, I like it more than TBOS right off the bat, jury is still out on where it places but it’s top five potential at the very least. Steve wrote some of his best melodies and each guitarist wrote some of their best solos.  :metal

Jeesh, Mosh, don't be a stranger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6483 on: September 09, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »
The more I listen, the more I'm starting to think that, Lost World, Darkest Hour, Parchment and Hell on Earth could all be up there with as good as anything that the band have ever done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6484 on: September 09, 2021, 07:27:58 PM »
The more I listen, the more I'm starting to think that, Lost World, Darkest Hour, Parchment and Hell on Earth could all be up there with as good as anything that the band have ever done.

Yeah, those are the Top 4. I am really digging The Parchment.

I love how in The Parchment after Bruce's vocal climax (which is amazing unto itself), but then the song takes on a whole new instrumental life of its own. The part that starts at 11:23 is fantastic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6485 on: September 09, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »

Yeah, those are the Top 4. I am really digging The Parchment.

I love how in The Parchment after Bruce's vocal climax (which is amazing unto itself), but then the song takes on a whole new instrumental life of its own. The part that starts at 11:23 is fantastic.

Parchment is growing on you like Hell on Earth is growing on me haha.

That section you mentioned where things kick up a gear is just mindblowing.  After the whole middle section, it kicks off and then more soloing from Adrian and Janick for some reason feels refreshing.  Dunno how after all the soloing but it just works.  The whole structure and songwriting of this one is just incredible, can't quite get over how Steve has constructed this one. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6486 on: September 09, 2021, 07:40:21 PM »
This is some of Steve's finest work.  Similar to The X Factor.

(my beef with TXF is that it just feels unfinished.., not that it's not awesome, it just could've been awesomer!)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6487 on: September 09, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
I'm kind of getting the X Factor vibes, but not really as much as some people are saying.  maybe I'm missing something though, as you know I'm pretty bias towards TXF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6488 on: September 09, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
To me, it's the total Harris effect. I've often referred to TXF as a Steve Harris solo album. His presence is so blatant on the album.

Like on TFF, King is Dave, Avalon is Adrian, Talisman is Jan, and only Wind is Steve. With Steve owning all of the epics here, it really does remind me of TXF.  Not so much this part reminds me of that part. But Harris' influence on both albums is especially strong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6489 on: September 09, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »
The other thing that is different about The Parchment are the vocal sections. There's only two of them. No chorus, no prechorus, just the first half and the second half. And Bruce is amazing in both sections. His pacing is tremendous.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6490 on: September 09, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »
To me, it's the total Harris effect. I've often referred to TXF as a Steve Harris solo album. His presence is so blatant on the album.

Like on TFF, King is Dave, Avalon is Adrian, Talisman is Jan, and only Wind is Steve. With Steve owning all of the epics here, it really does remind me of TXF.  Not so much this part reminds me of that part. But Harris' influence on both albums is especially strong.

That's true, I never thought about it from that aspect mate, you're right.  The songwriting over the last few has been quite spread over the guys a bit more evenly giving things a different feel.  A lot more Harris so that makes total sense. 

The other thing that is different about The Parchment are the vocal sections. There's only two of them. No chorus, no prechorus, just the first half and the second half. And Bruce is amazing in both sections. His pacing is tremendous.

I sound like a broken record but yeah, 1 minute of verses then over 4 minutes of instrumental.  Another vocal section then more solos.  As  you say, no chorus or pre chorus, it's amazing.  It's like Steve has read all the criticism about the repetitive chorus and gave us a big 'fuck you' with these 4 tracks.  He knocked it out of the park at the same time.  Outstanding.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6491 on: September 09, 2021, 09:29:51 PM »

That's true, I never thought about it from that aspect mate, you're right.  The songwriting over the last few has been quite spread over the guys a bit more evenly giving things a different feel.  A lot more Harris so that makes total sense. 

I sound like a broken record but yeah, 1 minute of verses then over 4 minutes of instrumental.  Another vocal section then more solos.  As  you say, no chorus or pre chorus, it's amazing.  It's like Steve has read all the criticism about the repetitive chorus and gave us a big 'fuck you' with these 4 tracks.  He knocked it out of the park at the same time.  Outstanding.

And following on from this, I'm not missing that second chorus in Hell On Earth like some others here are.  While appreciate the complaint, think it makes it's point and is all the stronger for it!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6492 on: September 09, 2021, 09:35:40 PM »
This is my 4th new Maiden release upon me becoming a fan. My initial reaction to those 4 albums upon my first listen are ranked as:

AMoLaD

TBoS/Senjutsu disc 1
Senjutsu disc 2

TFF

I have a hunch after a couple more listens, disc 2 will resonate with me more, and could possibly vault this to my #2 reunion era album. Though outside of TFF, which is at the bottom, there is little separation between the other 5.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6493 on: September 09, 2021, 10:54:32 PM »
I've not been able to stop listening to it. It just utterly brilliant.

9.5/10 with the half point removed for a couple of the intros, guitar doubled vocals, the Bontempi keyboard, the mastering and the production.

That's how good this album is.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #6494 on: September 09, 2021, 11:11:41 PM »

Jeesh, Mosh, don't be a stranger.
This forum can be tough to keep up with! I read it pretty regularly (mostly the PR section actually) but I suppose I tend to be a lurker. I thought I would update my discography thread when LOTB ended but now we’re in a weird place where the tour is still ongoing but there’s an official live release from it AND now a new album.

I get a ton of X Factor vibes, particularly Lost in a Lost World, but maybe that goes to show how much influence Steve had on that album (and Virtual) compared to the reunion albums. I remember thinking that both The Red and the Black and When the Wild Wind Blows were reminiscent of the Blaze era, and those were the only solo Steve contributions. That side has always been there, but never as pronounced as on the Blaze albums until now.

One thing with TXF that Senjutsu improves upon is the presence of Bruce and Adrian as writers. They only have three songs, but those three songs really do a lot to help pace the album and bring in more variety.  Janick has also blossomed as a writer since then and he has some great contributions. TXF really misses stuff like Stratego, Days of Future Past, and even Writing on the Wall.

But man, those last three Harris epics are something else. Any one of them is a contender for the best thing Steve has done, and they’re all so different from each other. My favorite right now is Death of the Celts, but the other two are incredible. Also earlier in the album, but I love Lost in a Lost World.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mosh

« Reply #6495 on: September 09, 2021, 11:12:50 PM »
Accidental double post

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6496 on: September 09, 2021, 11:18:02 PM »

And following on from this, I'm not missing that second chorus in Hell On Earth like some others here are.  While appreciate the complaint, think it makes it's point and is all the stronger for it!

I thought that exact same thing listening to it on the way to work today.  I love how this one is structured too.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6497 on: September 10, 2021, 12:20:11 AM »
I take back what I said about Death Of The Celts after my first listen. Great track.

Bruce sounds mighty on this record. That "love in anger part". The chorus of The Time Machine. Gives me tingles.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6498 on: September 10, 2021, 01:19:49 AM »
The grower of the day is Parchment. That song is absolutely insane, a couple of verses and then an endless lines of solos because why not, and then some more solos at the energetic end, but it's quite catchy in its verses and ends bombastic.

Hell on Earth, has it has been said, is chock full of nice melodies. Maybe the intro is a bit too long, but once the song starts and goes on until after the solos, it's brilliance after brilliance. And yes, they should have reprised that goddamn chorus at the end.

I'm also warming up to Time Machine a bit. Days of Future Past is great but it's no Alchemist (very underrated track) or Death or Glory.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6499 on: September 10, 2021, 01:48:56 AM »
The Alchemist is one of my favourites and Death Or Glory is one of the few great tracks on TBOS, imo.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6500 on: September 10, 2021, 04:06:42 AM »
The Alchemist is one of my favourites and Death Or Glory is one of the few great tracks on TBOS, imo.
I agree.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6501 on: September 10, 2021, 04:44:18 AM »
The grower of the day is Parchment. That song is absolutely insane, a couple of verses and then an endless lines of solos because why not, and then some more solos at the energetic end, but it's quite catchy in its verses and ends bombastic.

Hell on Earth, has it has been said, is chock full of nice melodies. Maybe the intro is a bit too long, but once the song starts and goes on until after the solos, it's brilliance after brilliance. And yes, they should have reprised that goddamn chorus at the end.

I'm also warming up to Time Machine a bit. Days of Future Past is great but it's no Alchemist (very underrated track) or Death or Glory.

Exactly, why the fuck not.  I love it, can't get enough.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6502 on: September 10, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »
Almost the same riff, used towards the end of a long song:

At 08:54 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2i7s_BGI4

And at 09:53 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt8uqyirQvM

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #6503 on: September 10, 2021, 06:39:14 AM »
It's great to have this album to tie us over before the new Dream Theater album comes out.  I think it is wise for DT managment/record company to wait until late October to release AVFTTOTW. That way the buzz from the new Maiden album can calm down enough to where the focus can shift..   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #6504 on: September 10, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
It's great to have this album to tie us over before the new Dream Theater album comes out.  I think it is wise for DT managment/record company to wait until late October to release AVFTTOTW. That way the buzz from the new Maiden album can calm down enough to where the focus can shift..   :lol

Must admit, this did cross my mind as to a reason why it is being released in late Oct as opposed to late Sep, as it appears it would have been all ready go for this month.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6505 on: September 10, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »
I've not been able to stop listening to it. It just utterly brilliant.

9.5/10 with the half point removed for a couple of the intros, guitar doubled vocals, the Bontempi keyboard, the mastering and the production.

That's how good this album is.

Fair assessment. I can't stop listening to it either. I play something else, and the Maiden urge keeps creeping in until I go back and play the album. I'm in the camp that thinks this is the 2nd best reunion era album behind BNW.

Highlights for me are:
-Writing on the Wall - Absolutely LOVE the Smith solo. I keep humming it all day long.
-Days of the Future Past - Just love the pace and energy this song has. Lyrics and melodies are very memorable. I hope Maiden plays this track live. My favorite track from this album.
-Time Machine - After the first few minutes, it becomes a legendary Maiden track.
-Hell on Earth - Probably my 2nd favorite track off the album. Love everything about this one. Would have loved for the initial chorus to be brought back later in the song.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #6506 on: September 10, 2021, 07:30:29 AM »
So reading the above post made me realize that I never downloaded Days of Future Past from Amazon. I've been listening to an incomplete album all week!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6507 on: September 10, 2021, 07:48:56 AM »
I've been listening to an incomplete album all week!

That's genuinely brilliant :biggrin:

goo-goo, I'm in that camp, too. Second best after Brave New World for me. It could tie with it one day, though.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6508 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:59 AM »
So reading the above post made me realize that I never downloaded Days of Future Past from Amazon. I've been listening to an incomplete album all week!

:lol :lol :rollin :rollin

I hope you love the track as much as I do.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6509 on: September 10, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »
Our own Wolfking did that for us a few pages back.

I didn't see that. Now I've read all the review by Wolfking, really great! This album surely deserves it!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)