Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573208 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6440 on: September 08, 2021, 08:30:56 AM »
From the dead then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gborland

Graham Borland

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6442 on: September 08, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »
I haven't listened to anything but this new album for the past week.  It has the potential to be my second favorite of the reunion albums (nothing will ever beat Brave New World - that one means so much to be, being the first new record with Bruce and Adrian, kicking off the reunion, as well as the period of time in my life when it came out).

But this new album just sounds so great and so fresh to me and I'm completely obsessed with so many of the songs.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6443 on: September 08, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
I haven't listened to anything but this new album for the past week.  It has the potential to be my second favorite of the reunion albums (nothing will ever beat Brave New World - that one means so much to be, being the first new record with Bruce and Adrian, kicking off the reunion, as well as the period of time in my life when it came out).

But this new album just sounds so great and so fresh to me and I'm completely obsessed with so many of the songs.

I'm really digging it as well.  I think they found a good balance between standard Maiden fare ( :smiley:) and finding some new things to add to the overall sound.  I'm not sure where I'd rank it yet, but, overall, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6444 on: September 08, 2021, 01:44:20 PM »
There's a new video up for Stratego. Much as I love em, I'm not sure who they think these cartoons are appealing to. I have nothing against cartoons, btw, but these are a bit mystifying to me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6445 on: September 08, 2021, 01:55:15 PM »
There's a new video up for Stratego. Much as I love em, I'm not sure who they think these cartoons are appealing to. I have nothing against cartoons, btw, but these are a bit mystifying to me.

I LOVED the WotW one.

I think it’s kind of a cool way to make a really cool music video without a huge budget.

It certainly beats the crap out of those cheesy lyric videos. Glad those died a quick death.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6446 on: September 08, 2021, 01:57:28 PM »
I enjoyed TWotW as well, haven't seen Stratego to comment, but I get that the animations are due to the band not getting together during the pandemic to film a proper video.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6447 on: September 08, 2021, 02:10:46 PM »

I LOVED the WotW one.

I think it’s kind of a cool way to make a really cool music video without a huge budget.

It certainly beats the crap out of those cheesy lyric videos.
Glad those died a quick death.

Oo, yes. They suck too!  :lol I'm a bit of a grumpy old-ish man when it comes to videos. A decent performance video can be ok but usually also horrid. Anneke Van G's recent ones were nice, I thought.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6448 on: September 08, 2021, 02:21:53 PM »
Music videos these days are so hit or miss these days. I don't really have any issue with lyric videos but I don't like when the lyric videos are for the singles instead of a proper single music video.  I think bands should make lyric videos for all their songs that don't get official well done videos.  I say that because when the band doesn't do it, someone else usually does and those are usually of poor quality, but sometimes I like to read along the lyrics so I will watch anyway.  I say this as someone who has made unofficial lyric videos before  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6449 on: September 08, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
I don't have the slightest interest in watching an Eddie cartoon music video. I'd rather just see the band playing.

Speaking of which..no band pics in the CD booklet?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gazinwales

« Reply #6450 on: September 08, 2021, 03:45:48 PM »
No pics, no promo video's of them altogether, we all know why  :yarr
BTW you can legally download the entire CD booklet from IM official site.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:53:23 PM by gazinwales »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6451 on: September 08, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
I don't have the slightest interest in watching an Eddie cartoon music video. I'd rather just see the band playing.

No pics at all.  Im kind of glad I just got the regular cheapest edition.  I have no interest in any other version.  Not worth the money, even though it's Maiden.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6452 on: September 08, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »

No pics at all.  Im kind of glad I just got the regular cheapest edition.  I have no interest in any other version.  Not worth the money, even though it's Maiden.

I bought the CD just because it's my favorite band. I'm going to leave it sealed though. It came late so I listened through other means.  But as gazin stated, I think we all know why there are no band pics or promotion.  It's expected but kind of does suck that this ends up being another albiet small negative of covid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6453 on: September 08, 2021, 08:51:41 PM »
Jesus, another listen down and the melodies in the whole first seven minutes of Hell on Earth are just extrodinary.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6454 on: September 08, 2021, 08:59:31 PM »
Got some more listening in today. That stretch of solos in Darkest Hour has to be the longest stretch of tasteful soloing I have ever heard in a Maiden tune. I mean, Adrian always brings the tasteful, but that was sublime.

That along with Lost In A Lost World are my leading tracks right now. I need to revisit the 'Arry Trilogy as they didn't wow me the first go around. This one seems to be a bit of a grower for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6455 on: September 08, 2021, 09:33:35 PM »
Got some more listening in today. That stretch of solos in Darkest Hour has to be the longest stretch of tasteful soloing I have ever heard in a Maiden tune. I mean, Adrian always brings the tasteful, but that was sublime.

That along with Lost In A Lost World are my leading tracks right now. I need to revisit the 'Arry Trilogy as they didn't wow me the first go around. This one seems to be a bit of a grower for me.

It really is.  Im still blown away by these solos.  Dave delivered the goods too thankfully but Adrian knocked it out of the fucking park.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6456 on: September 09, 2021, 03:32:00 AM »
Jesus, another listen down and the melodies in the whole first seven minutes of Hell on Earth are just extrodinary.

It’s beautiful, really.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6457 on: September 09, 2021, 05:54:47 AM »

It’s beautiful, really.

Yeah, 100%.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6458 on: September 09, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »
But does anyone else find themselves start singing SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON at times during Hell On Earth? 

And don't get me wrong it's a great thing but yes, fantastic track with just a slight slight nod back to that sublime 88 album, sensational stuff :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6459 on: September 09, 2021, 06:16:58 AM »
But does anyone else find themselves start singing SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON at times during Hell On Earth? 

And don't get me wrong it's a great thing but yes, fantastic track with just a slight slight nod back to that sublime 88 album, sensational stuff :metal

Can't say I do.  What section?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6460 on: September 09, 2021, 06:29:11 AM »
All of it  :D

But seriously, particularly during the songs final few minutes (before the softer finale) I was waiting for it to collide into that Seventh Son chorus!

Maybe just me then but hear a similarity and that's how good it is! :metal

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6461 on: September 09, 2021, 06:45:26 AM »

I bought the CD just because it's my favorite band. I'm going to leave it sealed though. It came late so I listened through other means.  But as gazin stated, I think we all know why there are no band pics or promotion.  It's expected but kind of does suck that this ends up being another albiet small negative of covid.

Not sure if the lack of a band photo in the cd, assuming that’s correct, has anything to do with covid.  I’m sure I’ve seen promo pics of them for the album.  I do think though, at a certain point, maybe the look of the band becomes so uncool, it is a actually a negative to put photos or performance videos out.  DT are fast approaching that too.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6462 on: September 09, 2021, 06:47:12 AM »
I don't know if it was alread posted here, but a brazilian site listed who made which solo on Senjutsu. It seems correct to my ears: https://www.wikimetal.com.br/iron-maiden-guitarristas-solos-senjutsu/
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6463 on: September 09, 2021, 07:46:34 AM »
Our own Wolfking did that for us a few pages back.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6464 on: September 09, 2021, 07:54:56 AM »
I feel Dance Of Death in the first quick middle riff in The Time Machine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6465 on: September 09, 2021, 02:23:20 PM »
I don't know if it was alread posted here, but a brazilian site listed who made which solo on Senjutsu. It seems correct to my ears: https://www.wikimetal.com.br/iron-maiden-guitarristas-solos-senjutsu/

Yeah mate, I listed them with my first listening reactions a few pages back.

I find it odd that they listed the melody at 9:00 on Hell on Earth. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:31:54 PM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6466 on: September 09, 2021, 02:32:26 PM »
I feel Dance Of Death in the first quick middle riff in The Time Machine.

A little, but I think it's more Book of Souls.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #6467 on: September 09, 2021, 03:04:26 PM »
Still can’t figure out what people like about Iron Maiden. It’s always the same galopping riff, dual cheesy guitar leads and a singer with so much vibrato I’m not even sure he even hit the intended note.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline 425

« Reply #6468 on: September 09, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »
Unfair. On the last six albums, it's trial cheesy guitar leads.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6469 on: September 09, 2021, 03:18:19 PM »
Still can’t figure out what people like about Iron Maiden. It’s always the same galopping riff, dual cheesy guitar leads and a singer with so much vibrato I’m not even sure he even hit the intended note.

Galopping riffs, dual cheesy guitar leads and the singer's vibrato.

And Eddie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6470 on: September 09, 2021, 03:22:06 PM »

I think you're outnumbered when you look at how many people are fans.

Best band in the world.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6471 on: September 09, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »

So what's the question? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6472 on: September 09, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »

So what's the question? :lol

He wants to know how to like them so he can be awesome like us.

Offline 425

« Reply #6473 on: September 09, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »
Finally had time to get in my first listen.

Guys...

This is a triumph. It's everything I could have wanted from an Iron Maiden album and then some more on top of that.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6474 on: September 09, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
Finally had time to get in my first listen.

Guys...

This is a triumph. It's everything I could have wanted from an Iron Maiden album and then some more on top of that.

Geez, don't hold back, man!