Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573385 times)

DoctorAction and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mladen

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6405 on: September 07, 2021, 03:27:41 AM »
I love The X Factor, but Look for the truth is a lesser favorite of mine on it. As good as it is, it pales slightly in comparison to Fortunes of war, The Edge of darkness and Blood on the world's hands. I do agree that Lost in a lost world is similar, but it's also more interesting structurally and melodically.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6406 on: September 07, 2021, 04:26:38 AM »
This album feels like the inverse of Book of Souls.  On that album I really loved the longer tracks and felt they were the strongest songs on the album (Eternity, Red & Black, Book of Souls and Empire of the Clouds).  On Senjutsu the 4 long epics are decent but none of them are great (IMO) however it's the shorter tracks that are standing out for me much more.

I think Final Frontier remains me favorite reunion album and Matter of Life and Death the weakest - the other 4 are on a similar level.

Final Frontier had The Alchemist that, to me, slays Days of Future Past, which is good anyway.

Book of Souls also had Death or Glory, that was insanely catchy (cliiiimb like a monkeeeeey  :biggrin:) and also that gem of Tears of a Clown, very unusual for them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6407 on: September 07, 2021, 05:09:44 AM »
Can't say I hear the similarities between Lost World and Look for the Truth, truthfully.

I agree with MIaden that's it's probably a lesser track but I do agree it's overlooked.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6408 on: September 07, 2021, 05:17:21 AM »
Some thoughts on Senjutsu from Nico (Licks Of the Beast)
https://youtu.be/UOHgqTgSEs4
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:54:12 AM by gazinwales »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6409 on: September 07, 2021, 06:56:56 AM »
Maiden in an album chart battle in the UK for the number one spot against Drake.   Maiden leading in the midweeks due to higher physical and download sales - but Drake starting to catch up via streaming.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6410 on: September 07, 2021, 07:00:32 AM »
Haha, I'm absolutely loving these song structures though. 

They should've just called this album Steve Harris' Cock.

Long and complicated?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6411 on: September 07, 2021, 07:06:21 AM »
Triple Post!

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread how bad Bruce sounded. Honestly, and I'm a lifelong Maiden fan, but I feel like the last 3 albums contain some of Bruce's best work.

It shouldn't surprise you Tim, but after two listens to the first disk (I haven't gotten to the second one yet) I'm really not hearing a lot of the complaints in this thread.

It sounded good (I listened in my car).   Bruce sounds great (though his voice DOES have a slightly different timbre to it).   The songs don't seem repetitious at all.     The melodies are really good.   The solos are really on point (more than just a 45-second wank).   I don't know where it places in the pantheon yet, but suffice to say, this is a solid Maiden record, and exactly why I listen to them after 40 years, and why I will absolutely be seeing them again on tour.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6412 on: September 07, 2021, 07:22:58 AM »
For those praising Lost In A Lost World, what do you think of Look For The Truth? The two songs sound very similar to me, yet I find that the latter tends to be overlooked.

Yep also hear it too but hearing quite a lot of XFactor and probably good reason why am loving the new record so much!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6413 on: September 07, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »
My quick review; another solid reunion era Maiden album.  But, I can't think of another album where the keyboards are so unnecessary to an album, and they are played so poorly.  Wish someone would've had the stones to say no to 'arry.  That aside, I think Nicko's drumming is great, and the guitar solos, particularly those of Adrian and Janick, are inspired.   :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6414 on: September 07, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »
Right. I am happy to eat humble pie.

While I stick by my comment that the album sounds like rubbish on even semi-decent speakers, the music is excellent. It's easily their best album since Brave New World for me. Sure, I wish they'd stop mirroring the vocals, the keyboards are awful and the production risible but dammit, those melodies! Ear worms abound after a few listens. And those solos! Marvellous stuff.

I'd like to praise the vinyl: the package itself is magnificent; beautifully put together when so many bands half-arse it. And I think it sounds a bit better than the CD, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6415 on: September 07, 2021, 08:57:30 AM »
Nicko sounds really tight on this one, I've been noticing. Really brought the goods.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6416 on: September 07, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »
My quick review; another solid reunion era Maiden album.  But, I can't think of another album where the keyboards are so unnecessary to an album, and they are played so poorly.  Wish someone would've had the stones to say no to 'arry.  That aside, I think Nicko's drumming is great, and the guitar solos, particularly those of Adrian and Janick, are inspired.   :metal

I completely disagree, for me the keyboards definitely add to the sound, give that little extra zap of magic that enhances the songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6417 on: September 07, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »
I don't really have a problem with the synths.  They were a bit more audible than other albums, but it seems they weren't that different in usage though.  I think some of it just comes back to the production on this album which is pretty bad. 

One thing I noticed listening in my car for the first time today was how good Steve Harris sounds, and then I realized he's the only instrument that actually sounds good.  That can't be coincidence  :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6418 on: September 07, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »
For those praising Lost In A Lost World, what do you think of Look For The Truth? The two songs sound very similar to me, yet I find that the latter tends to be overlooked.

One of my favorites in The X Factor! I do see the connection between them, which is super cool to me. In a way, the way the verse rhythm works is kind of reminiscent of The Fugitive too (not too blatantly, just the way the groove works).

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6419 on: September 07, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »
I'm digging The Parchment and Hell on Earth a lot more now, although a lot in those two songs should have ended up on the cutting room floor. I would get rid completely of a few songs on this album, and TO ME it would make it a better release. I'm not too crazy about Lost in a Lost World and Death of the Celts - we already have Fortunes of War and The Clansman, why having two more songs with the same effect? And I would get rid of the bass intro of Hell on Earth, kicking off the song with the fast riff.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6420 on: September 07, 2021, 01:33:03 PM »
Glad so many are loving this album. Unfortunately I am really struggling to connect with it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6421 on: September 07, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »
It’s really annoying when just about every power metal bands albums sound better than Maiden’s.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6422 on: September 07, 2021, 03:50:48 PM »
I have no issue with the keyboards either, they add a nice atmosphere, no complaints there.

I still can't get over the Parchment.  I mentioned it earlier but the songwriting where Bruce only sings a few verses for a minute and Janick comes in with a nice eastern style solo you totally get the impression his solo is a passing section between verses, for then it to subtlety goes into a 4+ minute instrumental section.  Just astounding.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #6423 on: September 07, 2021, 05:01:05 PM »
I also have no issue with the keyboards - they add some atmosphere and are really pretty non-intrusive to me.

The Parchment is my fav song closely followed by Darkest Hour. After that I really love most of the songs pretty equally. I have been listening to the album non-stop since Friday.

Will be interesting to see how this ages. I initially loved The Book of Souls but now, I really don't do back to it too much compared to other older albums.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6424 on: September 07, 2021, 05:14:37 PM »
Finally finished this thing up. They definitely went back to the X-Factor well on this thing. Steve forgot how to write a Steve chorus for once.

As for the keyboards, in my opinion, I think those accents would have worked a lot better had they been done by a string ensemble instead of Steve's Casio with the 80's patch on it. Since it was more atmospheric and he was just holding keys down for extended periods, just get some strings in there instead. It would've sounded better.

Otherwise, this is Bruce's X-Factor. Not an album of the year or anything, but an enjoyable album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6425 on: September 07, 2021, 05:30:53 PM »
It’s really annoying when just about every power metal bands albums sound better than Maiden’s.

Are you taking the piss?
99.9% power metal albums sound terrible, poor flat mix, brick walled and no dynamics.
Senjutsu is awesome, for an audio nerd it's 'music to my ears' being able to hear all the instruments crystal clear and it can be cranked loud.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6426 on: September 07, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »
I've recently come upon a few isolated tracks (and backing mixes, i.e. "all instruments except guitar/drums/bass/vocals") and tried my hand at playing the guitars in Rime of the Ancient Mariner with a free amp sim setup (mostly as instructed by this gentleman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faPlSBbUPMM though I used the Ignite Emissary and NadIR vsts instead of the Poulin versions).

I'm surprised at how far technology has come -- never thought I'd whip out something this decent with such a short turnaround time and little gear (took me about fifteen minutes to cook this up). There's a few hiccups and I messed up one of the lower harmony parts, but it still got me excited enough to share with you guys.

https://vocaroo.com/159o6zqVg3Xl

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6427 on: September 07, 2021, 09:19:50 PM »
Whoever mentioned Target had a special version with a lenticular cover, thanks for the tip! Finally picked this up today. Have only heard the first two singles. Been waiting to dive in to this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6428 on: September 08, 2021, 01:25:26 AM »

Senjutsu is awesome, for an audio nerd it's 'music to my ears' being able to hear all the instruments crystal clear and it can be cranked loud.
I finally obtained the physical copy of the album with the two cd's.  I listened to some of it right away and I could tell in a few seconds that it sounded way wayyyyy better than listening to it online. I even listened to both versions on the same stereo. 
The production sounds great to me, nothing wrong at all and sounds crystal clear. This album is really meant to be played loud. I feel the songs Senjutsu, and TWOTW have allready become Maiden classics.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6429 on: September 08, 2021, 02:20:46 AM »
Lost in a Lost World is a big grower.

As others have said, it's impressive how they went full "anything goes" when it comes to song structures. Heck, some of these songs have more weird and unusual structures than many DT songs, which followed the formula verse / chorus / verse / chorus / random 5 minutes solo section / chorus.

Take Death of the Celts, it's the usual song, then after a short "chorus" after a load of verses come a looooong instrumental section. As mentioned above, The Parchment is even more WTF - a couple of verses and then.... solos after solos after solos.

And for those still interested: nope, not yet over Hell on Earth and how it ends with a whimper rather than a bang  ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:48:56 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6430 on: September 08, 2021, 04:24:44 AM »
Whoever mentioned Target had a special version with a lenticular cover, thanks for the tip! Finally picked this up today. Have only heard the first two singles. Been waiting to dive in to this.

What is this lenticular cover? That's the one their PR sent me, but I'm still in Rio, and the album is in Toronto.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6431 on: September 08, 2021, 05:24:24 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but anyone else a bit miffed that they only used the chorus to Hell on Earth once in the whole song?! Outrageous!  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6432 on: September 08, 2021, 06:20:16 AM »
I just checked a random unboxing video of the box set version.  Looks a complete waste of time and money for the price.  No thanks.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6433 on: September 08, 2021, 06:29:57 AM »
I just checked a random unboxing video of the box set version.  Looks a complete waste of time and money for the price.  No thanks.

The actual box is quite nice. The contents are bobbins. A fool (me) and his money are easily parted :lol

The DT boxset seems to contain similar amounts of tat although not yet made a decision on that. But I know what I'll end up doing :coolio
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6434 on: September 08, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
@nobloodyname (haha, I always thought your nick said nobodyname)

Have you had a chance to watch the documentary?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6435 on: September 08, 2021, 07:43:19 AM »
First, thanks Wolfking, for the write-ups.   I finally listened to the second disk last night - twice, as a matter of fact, while in the car - and I restate my observation:  I'm not personally experiencing any of the complaints so far.  The record sounds pretty good in my car, the keyboards are far more prominent, but I don't hear them as poorly played (and I trust Romdrums' opinion on this stuff!), Bruce sounds amazing, if not like the Bruce from 1985, the writing is tight, if you can call a 12 minute song "tight", and the choruses are memorable.   For the Harris songs, his writing is eminently recognizable, yet there's almost always at least one time per album when there's that harmony melody and I go "wait, isn't that the same melody from Mother Russia/Alexander The Great/One of his other songs?   I'm not sure there was even one time on this album where I had that thought.

Whether it's "their best" or not, I don't know.  Whether it's the "album of the year" or not, I don't know.   But I've been a Maiden fan since 1982, and I like all phases of their career, and at this point, this is the exact album I would hope for from them.  They are certainly NOT phoning it in at this point or scrambling to reacquire some past glory (I'm looking at you, Scorpions and even Kiss), nor are they trying to be something they are not (hi, Dee!  Good to see you, Motley!) or staying past their prime (as much as I love you, David Lee, it might be time!)

This album gives me pleasure, makes me want to listen again, and makes me want to see these songs live.  $20 well spent, IMO.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6436 on: September 08, 2021, 07:47:40 AM »

Heh! One of those things I wish I could change now, to be honest.

I haven't watched the documentary because I think it's a making-of solely about the video for The Writing on the Wall. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I've no real interest in watching it since the video just doesn't interest me that much. If it'd been a making of for the whole album... I'd have been all over it by now.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 09:17:59 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6437 on: September 08, 2021, 07:52:48 AM »

Heh! One of those things I wish I could change now, to be honest.

I haven't watched the documentary because I think it's a making of, solely about the video for The Writing on the Wall. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I've no real interest in watching it since the video just doesn't interest me that much. If it'd been a making of for the whole album... I'd have been all over it by now.

Ah, thanks. I thought it was a making of the whole album. Sucks that they didn't include more footage of the writing/recording sessions. Or even interviews with the band members...lost opportunity I guess.

Offline gborland

« Reply #6438 on: September 08, 2021, 08:29:14 AM »
Bring back Martin Birch.
Graham Borland

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6439 on: September 08, 2021, 08:30:52 AM »
Bring back Martin Birch.

From the dead?