Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572740 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6300 on: September 04, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
I think the problem is not Kevin Shirley, it's the fact that he doesn't have a say on what goes on an album and what doesn't. At this stage in the game, what I think happens is that the band tries to please everyone and not argue about what goes on an album and what gets cut. I still believe they could release something as influential, trendsetting and IMPORTANT for metal as their 80's output was, but that will require some criticism and some editing. I just don't think they're ready to accept that at this point.
Although I’ve learned to really like post 2000 Maiden’s output, I kind agree with that. I just think it’s more a matter of following Steve’s vision than a question of pleasing everyone in the band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6301 on: September 04, 2021, 05:03:16 PM »
I think the problem is not Kevin Shirley, it's the fact that he doesn't have a say on what goes on an album and what doesn't. At this stage in the game, what I think happens is that the band tries to please everyone and not argue about what goes on an album and what gets cut. I still believe they could release something as influential, trendsetting and IMPORTANT for metal as their 80's output was, but that will require some criticism and some editing. I just don't think they're ready to accept that at this point.
Although I’ve learned to really like post 2000 Maiden’s output, I kind agree with that. I just think it’s more a matter of following Steve’s vision than a question of pleasing everyone in the band.

I imagine them in the studio, going "oh, you got a riff for this song? Yeah, chuck it in there!" - with no filter or criteria whatsoever.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6302 on: September 04, 2021, 05:09:51 PM »
Question: is having a guitar double Bruce a new thing, or have I just not noticed before? Seemed to be a recurring theme here.

It goes back about 20 years, in terms of when it really began in earnest, at this point. And it's highly fucking annoying. Really fucking annoying. And it's such a shame because, to me, the implication is that Bruce's voice and the melody aren't strong enough together to carry the tune. I know others will say it's being doubled because it's a strong melody but I disagree. Because I've had a beer :biggrin:

Also, since I'm listening to the album now and it's loud... it sounds like shit. Sonically, it's awful. Brickwalled to fuck and no dynamics. The CD isn't worth listening to on good speakers. Stick to your phones and £10 earbuds, people.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:15:45 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6303 on: September 04, 2021, 05:13:18 PM »
Question: is having a guitar double Bruce a new thing, or have I just not noticed before? Seemed to be a recurring theme here.

It goes back about 20 years at this point. And it's highly fucking annoying. Really fucking annoying. And it's such a shame because, to me, the implication is that Bruce's voice and the melody aren't strong enough together to carry the tune. I know others will say it's being doubled because it's a strong melody but I disagree. Because I've had a beer :biggrin:

I don't think that's the implication at all. I feel like it might have to do with an extra guitarist. Of just to over highlight the melody. I don't think any shortcomings from Bruce have anything to do with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6304 on: September 04, 2021, 05:25:30 PM »
Well I spun this like 3 times last night and all 3 times it just flew by and I really enjoyed it. The two "singles" sounded so much better in the context of the whole listening experience. I wasn't expecting anything more from Maiden other than a continuation of what they've been doing for the last 20 years. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised with how strong most of the tracks came across.  Of course I was completely drunk off my ass (as is proper when listening to Maiden) so I'm sure that helped! Going to check this out some with a (slightly) clearer head.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6305 on: September 04, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
I do think that the guitar doubling the vocal melody, at least this time around, has a bit to do with Bruce being a bit less powerful than he used to be. I think the vocal arrangements in general in this album are an attempt to compensate that impression.

I just don't see that as a problem (neither how Bruce is singing nor the measures taken to "beef up" his vocal sound). It all feels like wrinkles on an old bulldog -- part of the charm  :biggrin:

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #6306 on: September 04, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
The album's more of the same really but that's fine by me, I don't usually look to my favourite bands to 'innovate', I hope to hear their familiar sound (topic for another dedicated thread maybe but when was the last truly innovative and genre-influencing metal album? I ask because someone mentioned on the previous page that some classic metal acts are still putting out important, influential albums, and I respectfully disagree, but I'm open to having my opinion changed).

2 listens in and this album is making me smile a lot. It's familiar, it's comfortable, it's unmistakably the guys. I enjoy the music a lot and I'm really happy with the album. For a bunch of metal musicians well into their 60s I love that they're still so consistent. We're gonna sorely miss these guys when they're gone because even though "it sounds like the same old Iron Maiden", nevertheless nobody else is doing it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6307 on: September 04, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »
The album's more of the same really but that's fine by me, I don't usually look to my favourite bands to 'innovate', I hope to hear their familiar sound (topic for another dedicated thread maybe but when was the last truly innovative and genre-influencing metal album? I ask because someone mentioned on the previous page that some classic metal acts are still putting out important, influential albums, and I respectfully disagree, but I'm open to having my opinion changed).

2 listens in and this album is making me smile a lot. It's familiar, it's comfortable, it's unmistakably the guys. I enjoy the music a lot and I'm really happy with the album. For a bunch of metal musicians well into their 60s I love that they're still so consistent. We're gonna sorely miss these guys when they're gone.

Not sure I've heard one, honestly. Firepower was an amazing album, but it's not like Priest have been really consistent over the last 20 years.

Other metal bands like Accept and Saxon have put out really good and consistent albums.

I agree though. My favorite band, in their 60's, puts out an album that I really like. No complaints here.

If Iron Maiden is a peripheral band for someone, I get the trepidation. They're tied for my Top band, so I'll like pretty much anything they put out, even if some of it is not as good as something else they've done. But this album, like every album, has a bunch of really good tunes that I like a lot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6308 on: September 04, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »
We're gonna sorely miss these guys when they're gone[...]

Well, of course. But that doesn't mean we or they should settle. I think we might all have done to that, to a degree, for at least the last couple of albums; whatever the reason may be.

But I love the chaps dearly, and most of their music, all the same. I'll be misty eyed and inconsolable when they hang up their boots.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 06:12:08 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6309 on: September 04, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »

Well, of course. But that doesn't mean we or they should settle. I think we might all have done to that, to a degree, for at least the last couple of albums; whatever the reason may be.

But I love the chaps dearly. and most of their music, all the same. I'll be misty eyed and inconsolable when they hang up their boots.

Let's just enjoy it for what it is instead of being frustrated by what it isn't then.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #6310 on: September 04, 2021, 06:13:37 PM »

But I love the chaps dearly. and most of their music, all the same. I'll be misty eyed and inconsolable when they hang up their boots.

For sure, I'm not undermining anyone else's disappointment or implying they're any less of a fan for it. I'm just saying that for me personally I get a lot of joy out of albums that many other fans (again, absolutely not judging them) consider to be "by-the-numbers". Case in point, I'm a huge fan of DT's self-titled album. Formulaic and by-the-numbers? Sure, but dammit I love that formula and I love those numbers. I can see why many fans would consider Senjutsu to be over-familiar (and I agree with 3 of the main criticisms of their recent output, namely, poor production, needlessly lengthened songs, and Bruce's higher range now sounds a bit like a raging Abe Simpson slipping into a coma), but it's what I was hoping for. Maybe I'll change my opinion in the coming weeks, this is all still so fresh, but this band are such an important part of my life that to hear 'more of the same' is nothing but thrilling for me.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6311 on: September 04, 2021, 06:14:02 PM »

Let's just enjoy it for what it is instead of being frustrated by what it isn't then.

I'm frustrated by what it could be :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6312 on: September 04, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised with how strong most of the tracks came across.  Of course I was completely drunk off my ass (as is proper when listening to Maiden) so I'm sure that helped!

:rollin
I always enjoy a good Maiden album after a few beers. Good fun!   :metal 🍺
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6313 on: September 04, 2021, 06:20:17 PM »
...but this band are such an important part of my life that to hear 'more of the same' is nothing but thrilling for me.

Yes, I totally understand that. And I think the vast majority of us are coming at this with love in our hearts, however we demonstrate it.

But DT12... yikes :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #6314 on: September 04, 2021, 06:23:57 PM »
I haven’t followed this thread in quite some time, didn’t even realize the new release was yesterday. Gave it a spin today. I’ll give more thoughts another time, but if I could sum the album (and band for that matter) up one one word, it would be “tired”.

Yeah, I would have to agree.  I mean it's a fine crafted album and something Iron Maiden should be proud of, but man, it's pretty hard for me to listen to that album again in full in comparison to The Book of Souls.

On another note, The Writing on the Wall is growing on me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6315 on: September 04, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
Boom, just ghot a copy.  The deluxe fancy book version isn't available here yet so settled for the regular edition.  Assuming the bigger book version wouldn't be much different anyway.  Will listen tonight and post reactions.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6316 on: September 04, 2021, 07:34:17 PM »

It goes back about 20 years, in terms of when it really began in earnest, at this point. And it's highly fucking annoying. Really fucking annoying. And it's such a shame because, to me, the implication is that Bruce's voice and the melody aren't strong enough together to carry the tune. I know others will say it's being doubled because it's a strong melody but I disagree. Because I've had a beer :biggrin:

Also, since I'm listening to the album now and it's loud... it sounds like shit. Sonically, it's awful. Brickwalled to fuck and no dynamics. The CD isn't worth listening to on good speakers. Stick to your phones and £10 earbuds, people.
The guitar doubling has never jumped out at me. I'm sure it's happened, but it seemed obvious and repetitive here. And my impression was that they were trying make the melody pop more, but like you said, it really wasn't necessary.

And yeah, it sounds awful to me. It's certainly not Dream Theater loud, but it's definitely too loud to sound decent. I got all good and baked last night, and the neighbor wasn't home, so I was all excited to crank it up on a real stereo. That didn't last long. I actually rushed through the last two songs so I could put Queensryche on and appreciate some good sound.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6317 on: September 04, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »
Aside from a few flaws such as production think they have penned some true old-school magic here and while always the sum of their collective parts, the true drawcard here is absolutely Bruce. 

Don't care for comparisons to his old self and all that shit, he sounds inspired and he sounds in complete control.  After everything the man has been through he sounds outfuckingstanding here and am in complete awe of the man's talent!

Fully aware we can get caught up in the wave of excitement when these things are new but confident this beats the pants off Final Frontier and is already better than the otherwise great BookOfSouls. To my mind this is as close to perfect new millennium Maiden as we could hope for and I absolutely love this album.

Love the title track serves as the perfect intro, agree Writing works much better as an album track, still love Stratego, some of the best moments are the many XFactor-isms particularly so in the huge Lost In A Lost World, they finally nail the concept of a ballad in Darkest Hour (dig the slight Man Of Sorrows vibe), Days Of Future Past too has a Chemical era about it but given that Maiden twist, Time Machine is a blast and Hell On Earth is the perfect conclusion and about the only thing it might be missing is the Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son chorus. 

Not been quite so thrilled with a Maiden album like this since AMOLAD and both Maiden and Blaze serving us some of their finest work this late in their careers, and in the same year at that, is simply unheard of!

Splendid stuff \m/

Love reading all the thoughts here too guys good stuff!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 08:36:06 PM by WardySI »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6318 on: September 04, 2021, 09:03:15 PM »
Only had a chance for one listen, but I kept thinking that this the reunion era version of x factor, which isn't a bad thing. Sounds familiar yet unlike anything they've done before.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6319 on: September 04, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »
Having my first listen today and I actually think the production is not the real issue, the mixing is. There is almost zero separation in anything, except Nicko. It's like they went into the mixing room and Steve said just set all of the dials at the same level except for Nicko, punch him up a bit. The drums are the only thing I can really hear clearly. Everything else bleeds together. I was also annoyed by the guitar doubling Bruce. I can tell that there seems to be things punched in here and there, but it so hard to pick it up since everything is mixed with no separation. I do think the mix improved a bit as the album went on, but those first few tracks were a muddled mess to me.

I am enjoying the album, I just wish Steve would let Caveman alone. I know the man is an excellent engineer and mixer, except when Maiden is involved. I always rip him on these Maiden records, but I think I am past that now. It's not Kevin's fault, it's Steve.

Anyway, speaking of Nicko, he does really sound great on this album. I am stunned at his single kick prowess. It's amazing the notes he can get with a single pedal and at his current age!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Realm

« Reply #6320 on: September 04, 2021, 11:20:13 PM »
Really enjoying everyone's comments - the positive and negative.

On the guitar doubling the vocals - this has never bothered me before or stood out to me as a negative and still doesn't on this album. Yes I agree it is present in a number of songs but I don't have an issue with it. I also think it most likely exists because of having 3 guitarists - I mean what are they meant to do? All 3 play the same chords? Sure they could come up with some kind of counter melody lead but maybe that would be too much and take away from the vocals. I don't think the lead doubling the vocals has anything to do with Bruce's vocals or any deterioration in his voice. Sure he does sound older and not as powerful but it is still Bruce.

I also agree with some other comments that Nicko is great on the album. I don't actually hear as many of the same old routine fills that have existed in the past and I really love the drumming on Darkest Hour - really powerful stuff and really suits the song.

As far as originality goes, sure this album is still Maiden and not reinventing the wheel but it doesn't tread as much older ground as some of the past albums do. There is some fresh stuff here for sure.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6321 on: September 05, 2021, 12:11:14 AM »
On the guitar doubling the vocals - ... I also think it most likely exists because of having 3 guitarists - I mean what are they meant to do? All 3 play the same chords?

I think that's it's.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6322 on: September 05, 2021, 01:11:21 AM »
So.... which are the two songs that Bruce said would make fans go WTF, in a hopefully benevolent way? I'd say Stratego (plodding and majestic mid tempo as album opener) and The Writing on the Wall (unusual influences).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6323 on: September 05, 2021, 02:47:16 AM »
I almost shot you PM to ask if you'd heard it yet! Can't wait for your reactions /o/

This album kind of worries me -- it feels like the band tapped into my personal messages with friends and figured out what I wanted from an Iron Maiden album and just gave it to me  :lol I'm floored. Time Machine and Hell on Earth are the 11/10s for me, but there's a LOT for me to love here (I don't think there's any track that gets less than a 9/10 from me).

Really, really hoping they do the full-album tour setlist for this one like Bruce mentioned. Seems unlikely (and more unlikely that they'll hit South America with this tour), but I'd be happy just knowing they did it.

I couldn't believe all the catchy melodies they dug around. That and the way they'd tone things down for dynamics... ever since AMOLAD there's been some stuff in the albums that feels a bit too "off the cuff" for me, so this was a GREAT change in that regard -- everything feels really planned and worked on for great effect, with less of the "first take's good enough" vibe. Adrian mentioned they really had to work hard to get WOTW to sound right, and there's a lot like this throughout the album.

Have you guys read the lyrics? I think esp. on Hell on Earth Steve sort of reached a new level of... heartfelt bleakness? It's hard to describe, but if the lyrics posted online are legit, it's the most cryptic but oddly enticing they've ever been, lyrically.

One final thought: I've seen people complain about Janick's guitars accompanying the vocals, the quiet intros, the repetition... to each their own, but I wouldn't have this album any other way. They definitely recovered some ideas from the Blaze years and the album's all the better for it.

Definitely too attached for true objectivity (I usually kid that, with Maiden, I'm never really able to be objective, so I couldn't write professionally about them), but this is easily my favorite from them since Dance of Death (which is my favorite by them over all) and I'm glad to have it as an audio-form companion. It does carry a sense of finality to it, so while I'd love for them to have another go at the studio, if this is their last one, they couldn't have a better curtain call in my book.

By the way, it's been really exciting to post on this topic and follow everyone's reactions to this stuff. Whether I agree or disagree with any opinions bears no weight to me -- I don't know for how much longer we'll have this band in activity with us, so I see y'all as companions in this wild ride. Thanks!

DAMN!

Nice post mate just makes me smile in agreement and want to press play again! :biggrin:

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6324 on: September 05, 2021, 03:10:53 AM »
So.... which are the two songs that Bruce said would make fans go WTF, in a hopefully benevolent way? I'd say Stratego (plodding and majestic mid tempo as album opener) and The Writing on the Wall (unusual influences).

I think he thought of Lost in a Lost World, because of the intro.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6325 on: September 05, 2021, 03:43:11 AM »
On the guitar doubling the vocals - ... I also think it most likely exists because of having 3 guitarists - I mean what are they meant to do? All 3 play the same chords?

I think that's it's.
I'm not saying it would fit in the context of Maiden but music can consist of more than the same chord/riff structure and melody.
With that thinking symphony orchestras with 60 musicians would sound really flat. Of course everyone dosen't play diffrent stuff but you can have for example the violin section being split in 4 parts playing lead, harmonies, counter melodies and so on and that's just one section.
It would be silly to expect Maiden compose like that but i'm just saying there's so many ways to make music interesting.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6326 on: September 05, 2021, 03:49:59 AM »
Alright, sitting at the PC just having my first listen.  Let's go;

Senjutsu;

Alright, straight away I'm loving this intro.  So moody and dark, unique yet still sounding like Maiden.  We see the Phyrgian mode being used with that F chord in the riff.  This is indeed very adventurous for an opener.  Listening through my speakers, I think it sounds okay.  I get what Prof is saying, things do blend together and reminds me a little of the Helloween production which I wasn't keen on but seems not too bad here.  I do like Steve's bass sound but Bruce is mixed a bit weird. 

A couple of solos come in pretty early here and you get a real Nomad vibe.  Dave here is actually changing things up a little here, not stale like most of his solos have been the last few albums.  That mid tempo keeps going but I'm loving this.  That high section from Bruce is nice, but again his voice is mixed far back here.  The mood here portrays the lyrics really nicely.  I like the guitar doubling in the chorus here, it's fits well.  That ending part with the key change is pure Sign on the Cross haha.  What's going on with this outro solo?  Adrian getting creative, and using whammy bar flutters?!  Woah!!!  The guitar work on this song has me quite excited.

Solos

2:23 - Adrian
2:39 - Dave
5:19 - Janick
Outro - Adrian

Stratego;

I've listened to this one a few times so won't spend too much time on it.  I loved it from the get go, great pace, great drive and just a cracking song.  Seems pretty stock standard Maiden for a Janick song, but that's fine.  That chorus melody I've heard before though from a different band but can't place it.  I love the 'I hear you calling my name" section, Bruce sounds great here.  A fine song and a great second track.

Solo - Janick

Writing on the Wall;

I only listened to this song a couple of times when it was released and wasn't impressed.  The acoustic guitar here on the intro though sounds really nice and when the riff kicks in, I can already tell it's going to work a lot better in context of the album.  I don't hear the country thing people talk of, it's more of a southern blues thing.  Although the main riff for the verses really makes me think 'Feel like Making Love.'  The pre chorus makes me think Turn the Page too from Bob Seger.

The chorus is catchy, immediately only hearing the song for the third time I know the melody and can sing along, that's a good song.  The climax to the chorus is really well written too.  This is nice, but I think Stratego should have been released first and then this, but that's a non issue now.  I gotta say, Dave's solo is crap here, really novice like I must say.  Adrian though is really tasteful and I appreciate the longer solo section however.

Solos;

3:43 - Dave
4:26 - Adrian
Outro licks - Janick

More to come, might pause for a minute.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6327 on: September 05, 2021, 04:14:15 AM »
Lost in A Lost World;

Wow, interesting intro.  Reminds me heavily of Behind Blue Eyes truthfully.  Could be on a British Lion album actually.  Damn, these lyrics are nice.  The 2 minute mark it bursts into some familiar typical Maiden riffing but this is what I like.  The verses are moody and fucking great.  Reminds me of heavily of the Man Who Would be King, but again, I don't mind.

Wow, that 'feel the spirits' part is bloody excellent.  Chorus seems a bit of a step back to the excellent verses but that melody (Where the Wild Wind Blows) kicks in and I'm smiling again.  Woah, that little part at 5 minutes between this Wild Wind section is fantastic.  I love the length of this part, that melody seems overplayed but it's not.  It turns into No More Lies at 6 minutes.  Some nice solos from Dave and Adrian here, a bit more creative again from both.  I love these melodies recurring here.  Not sure on the chorus on first listen though but apart from that, this is a great tune, like the lyrics too.  Nice outro, not sure which song it's ripped off here, but it's so similar.

Solos;

6:13 - Dave
6:33 - Adrian

Days of Future Past;

Pretty stock standard intro but when the riff kicks in, that's a little different.  I like the verses, great energy and Bruce sounds really good.  The chorus is decent, but I think a grower.  nice Adrian solo again.  The double time in the last chorus pricked my interest, nice touch there.  Not much to say about this one on first listen, needs time.

Solos - Adrian

The Time Machine;

Haha, you can tell who wrote this one by the intro.  Wow, when this gets going, this is really different.  I'm not sure what it reminds me of, but I like it.  The verses and chorus are really interesting.  3:08, oh fuck yeah, now we're talking.  This section is excellent.  Kind of even get an Amorphis vibe from the melodies at the 4 minute mark.

Turns into some DT at 4:30 for a second, nice.  I like the groove behind Dave and Janicks solos.  This song is some unique, refreshing Maiden, really interesting and well done.  You get images of past songs but in itself, it's fresh and surprising.  Nice DOD outro.

Solos

4:36 - Adrian
4:53 - Dave
5:07 - Janick

So far this is quite bloody good.  I can see where people are coming from in relation the melodies, but I think in time everything will stick.  Really impressed with the band stepping outside of the box so far here.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #6328 on: September 05, 2021, 04:22:25 AM »
Wolfking - awesome stuff mate. Keep it coming. Loving your thoughts. Best review of the songs I have read so far anywhere!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6329 on: September 05, 2021, 04:31:59 AM »
Darkest Hour;

I listened to this once and running through it again, that intro which is pure Adrian, I didn't know what to expect, but holy shit this song is amazing.  It's obviously the Coming Home of the album, it really reminds me of that, but darker, and to me, probably more impressive.  Get a real Chemical Wedding vibe from this one to be honest, a real Gates of Urizen feel in the verses along with that Coming Home feel.

Bruce sounds amazing here and when it explodes into the chorus holy shit is this magic, what a fucking chorus!!!  I love it, good lord.  I love how the second verse is so short, the space between the choruses is very small and I think that's so effective.  Love that chromatic section in the chorus too, adds more tension.

The solos, holy shit Adrian!  I haven't heard this kind of solo from him since Chemical Wedding.  The phrasing, the note selections  Those 3 notes at 4:36!  FFUUCCK!  This is why I love this guy as a guitarist.  His pure feel, and you can hear those tones are from his fingers, fucking class.  How much Schenker is in this solo too!?  When Dave comes in I do get worried but he nails it too.  This is some great creative stuff from Dave that I haven't heard in a long time.  Check 5:16, so good.  He climaxes the solo perfectly.

Janick then adds really tasty fills in the last chorus too, I'm glad he wasn't left out and I was surprised he gets some ad lib at the end.  That Chorus though again is perfect, this song has blown me away.

Solos;

4:12 - Adrian
5:00 - Dave
Ad lib during last choruses - Janick

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6330 on: September 05, 2021, 04:46:24 AM »
Death of the Celts;

I've been looking forward to this trio of Harris songs truthfully.  I for one have always loved his songs and keeping that Maiden traditional sound and structure in check.

The intros are really quite different on this album to previous albums and this is no different.  The structure of the quiet intro are here but more open and creative.  I do love when it goes into that Clansman part though, I won't lie.

I haven't felt the X Factor comparisons all that much so far, but the verses here, I can definitely hear Blaze singing this song.  Simple chorus but I like this.  The heavy part around that 4 minute mark afterwards is crushing.

That section after Adrians solo gives a strong FTGGOG feel and the tension here is really building, this is excellent.  Damn, how about that Gary Moore section afterwards at 5:13!?  Good stuff.  This is giving me TRATB feels throughout this which is certainly no problem.  I'm loving these Harris long ass instrumental sections, too good.

There's nothing special about the solos in this one, but at times over the last few albums I've felt especially with Dave, he has been a little sloppy and out of time, Adrian too on The Book of Souls was below par, but everything here so far is on point, really cool.

That Clansman reprise section at 8:03 is epic, like really really epic, damn, and that key changed in the middle of that section is brilliant.  This song is rehashed to fuck, but regardless, it's a great, fun listen.

Solos;

4:18 - Adrian
6:53 - Janick
7:22 - Dave
7:35 - Adrian

Excuse me if I'm sounding like a total fanboy during these writeups, but I'm enjoying the fuck out of this.  I'm not sure we could have asked for anything more out of these guys for an album so late in their career.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 03:22:58 PM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6331 on: September 05, 2021, 05:02:20 AM »
The Parchment;

This intro is dark and can definitely hear the Blaze era here.  Great use of keyboards too adding to the atmosphere.  The verses again are pretty standard and really just getting the job done without being outstanding.  Appreciate the dark mood though but love a Janick solo coming in out of nowhere, that's fucking class.  That's pure FOTD era Janick.  Love the extended instrumental section straight after, unexpected but lovely. 

What I find interesting is that Janick solo gave off the feel that it was a passing solo between verses but the instrumental keeps going and then Dave comes in for an extended solo at the 5 minute mark.  God damn i'm in heaven.  Janick then comes back in again.  Check Dave's tasty licks at 5:24, that's brilliant, haven't heard that from him again for a long time. 

This keeps going too with Adrian chiming in.  These self indulgent instrumental breaks for me are just incredible, exactly what I wanted more of since TRATB.

The lyrics on this album seem like a real step up too, some class writing here with great imagery.  We get another Where the Wild Wind Blows reprise too in this last vocal section also.

9:52, WOOAAAH!!!! Oh this song is wonderful, absolutely incredible.  What an ending, I'm almost tearing up.  Love Janicks whammy bar intro to the solo and I don't care what anyone says, I love this guy and his very self indulgent style, it's beautiful.

What a wonderful song.

Solos;

3:!7 - Janick
5:01 - Dave
5:47 - Janick
6:12 - Adrian
10:29 - Janick
11:04 - Adrian

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6332 on: September 05, 2021, 05:15:44 AM »
Hell on Earth;

Up to the final song and this 80 minutes has flown by.  This intro is Fortunes of War but you know I don't care.  This is as Maiden as a Maiden intro can get.  I may be crazy but I also get Tool vibes in the change at 1:06, but its faint.  I love how this intro is over 2 minutes long. 

Oooh, a gallop.  Haven't heard a lot on this album but truthfully I haven't noticed, but this is most welcome.  Damn, that melody at 2:46 is just gorgeous, damn.  HA!  At 3:01 we get yet another reprise of Where the Wild Wind Blows, but again, this is gorgeous.  Although, this verse is laughably similar to Wild Wind haha.  Wow, this chorus is bloody amazing! 

That melody that re-enters after Adrians solo is a nice touch and very melodic. The structure of this song is really interesting yet so far everything feels in place.  Hmm...8:02 another Wild Wind reprise with that riff, not to mention Janicks solo.

This 'love in anger' section is interesting but once the guitar melodies come back in, I understand more what they have done here.  Interesting that they didn't bring that amazing chorus back in again, but I called it early the structure was different, and I can appreciate that.  This again is a great, very creative tune to close the album.

Solos;

Pre solo 5:46 - Janick
5:53 - Dave
6:09 - Adrian
8:22 - Janick

First initial thoughts is I'm stoked with this album.  The songwriting is top notch and applaud the band for jumping outside the box.  The solos too have picked up in quality from previous albums too and Bruce sounds great.  really looking foward to listening to this more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6333 on: September 05, 2021, 05:17:19 AM »
Wolfking - awesome stuff mate. Keep it coming. Loving your thoughts. Best review of the songs I have read so far anywhere!

Missed this before sorry mate.  Yeah, these are just initial reactions but I love doing stuff like this when listening through.  Will have more thoughts no doubt with more listens.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6334 on: September 05, 2021, 05:17:38 AM »
I have to listen to Darkest Hour again.