Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572181 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6265 on: September 03, 2021, 12:28:03 PM »
Yeah the last 2 songs are the best imo. The Parchment is my favorite.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6266 on: September 03, 2021, 12:34:40 PM »
Ok, second listen in and a few more random thoughts  :biggrin:

- Maybe not shocking, but I liked the album better the second time around
- I like, but don't love, Darkest Hour. It does however carry a nice, emotional weight, and the solos are very good. And it's a nice breather in the tracklist.
- Days of Future Past is a neat short track. The intro and the main riff made me hope for something a little more memorable. Still, a good one.
- I enjoyed Hell on Earth MUCH more the second time around. I like that the song has more of a story-telling structure...arguably, there really is only one chorus proper, and the only thing that truly repeats (not surprisingly) is the intro and the ending. Speaking of the intro, yes, it's the usual bass/clean guitar, but it does really set the mood for the song. Feels a bit old-school, in a To Tame a Land kind of way. Still wish they'd move away from the vocal/guitar melody thingy but, again, the melodies are strong. Like the guitar solos a lot, and there's this nice melodic reprise (around 6:30 just before the quiet section) I actually wish was a little longer.
- Confirming The Parchment is very good. Great, more epic riffing. Kind of a more subdued version of The Nomad
- The Time Machine still possibly my current favorite.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:18:07 PM by nick_z »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6267 on: September 03, 2021, 01:22:54 PM »

2) There are in fact a number of similar or even identical ideas. I think there was a little care in trying to avoid that.
And I give an example of one of my favorites on the record.

The Time Machine: 03:08
The Book of Souls: 05:21

Janick made the same melody (or very similar)  :lol

Definitely true! I guess he really likes that one, as he had already kinda used it on Edge of Darkness (see a few posts above)  ;D

Offline emtee

« Reply #6268 on: September 03, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
Gonna hold off on this for a couple months. I know myself too well and right now I'm smitten with the new NMB album. Nothing is going to push that from top rotation. If I wait until I start to tire of it, I'm more likely to appreciate Maiden's new one.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6269 on: September 03, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
Back from holiday and I couldn't find today a shop where to buy it. I know I could stream it but it's Iron Maiden, I want the album in my hands!!!

Right now I'm biding my time with a spin of The Book of Souls. Still love it. That's gonna be a tough one to follow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #6270 on: September 03, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »
Bought the Target version with the lenticular artwork. I *really* love the inner artwork with Eddie in the field with the slain warriors. I kind of want to make a fan-cover art out of that.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6271 on: September 03, 2021, 03:38:35 PM »
Steve: how many solos should there be in The Parchment guys?
3 Amigos: Yes

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6272 on: September 03, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »

2) There are in fact a number of similar or even identical ideas. I think there was a little care in trying to avoid that.
And I give an example of one of my favorites on the record.

The Time Machine: 03:08
The Book of Souls: 05:21

Janick made the same melody (or very similar)  :lol

Definitely true! I guess he really likes that one, as he had already kinda used it on Edge of Darkness (see a few posts above)  ;D

Yes! These melodies make you want to go out dancing in a flashy way.  :biggrin:

I love Janick  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6273 on: September 03, 2021, 11:53:30 PM »
Bah!  Went to a couple of stores today but sold out.  Frustrating.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6274 on: September 04, 2021, 04:38:39 AM »

Went to one, they didn't have it. Went to another, they didn't have the format I wanted. *sigh* guess I'll have to purchase it online and listen to it on Spotify, I wanted to hear it with the booklet in my hands but who can wait any longer? damn retail stores that gave up on metal music, I managed to find the deliuxe copy of The Book of Souls straight away last time around!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6275 on: September 04, 2021, 05:16:52 AM »

Went to one, they didn't have it. Went to another, they didn't have the format I wanted. *sigh* guess I'll have to purchase it online and listen to it on Spotify, I wanted to hear it with the booklet in my hands but who can wait any longer? damn retail stores that gave up on metal music, I managed to find the deliuxe copy of The Book of Souls straight away last time around!!!

Same mate.  I'll try a couple more tomorrow morning but was pumped to listen to it this weekend.  Might result to listening online too.  Really don't want to though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6276 on: September 04, 2021, 08:27:46 AM »
There's a supermarket chain in the UK called ASDA (owned by Walmart) who have done a deal with Maiden and are selling t shirts, the album, and the Maiden Sun And Steel lager. I've been to 3 branches and can I find a trace? No, I fucking can't. :lol

Been listening on Spotify and after second listen I can say I'm well impressed. Bloody good. I have no problem with the production. Has some beef and punch. A bit like a cross between DOD and TXF in terms of sound.

Death Of The Celts is the only track I can see me skipping in future. It has some enjoyable stuff in the middle break but feels a bit pointless when compared to the fresh, focussed meatiness of the rest of the album.

Really, really good.  :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6277 on: September 04, 2021, 09:01:11 AM »
That Sun And Steel sake is very nice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6278 on: September 04, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »

Death Of The Celts is the only track I can see me skipping in future. It has some enjoyable stuff in the middle break but feels a bit pointless when compared to the fresh, focussed meatiness of the rest of the album.

I kind of feel the same way, but about The Parchment. It's a bit brooding, but it ends real nice with Bruce's climax.

I like DOTC. The Thin Lizzy/Gary Moore Irish tinged moments always appeal to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6279 on: September 04, 2021, 09:58:25 AM »
Well, I'm loving it. It sounds exactly like Iron Maiden, with enough new elements to keep it interesting. At 82 minutes, there's a fair amount of bloat on there, especially the longer songs. I can only assume it's something to do with how royalties are paid on streaming services - Book of Souls could have stood some editing to fit onto a single disc, but this one feels like it's been deliberately padded to stretch to a double.

Senjutsu is a hell of an opening track, with Japanese Koto style drumming, a great galloping beat with a strong melody. It sounds nothing like Maiden, until the guitars come in and then there's no doubt who this is, one of the stronger songs on the album. Stratego is a solid rocker to follow up, and a reminder that 'Arry can still write great rockers in under 5 minutes - a fact you wish he'd bear in mind elsewhere on the album. Writing on the Wall sounds even better in the context of the album, almost like a whole new song, and is one of my favourites.

Next up, the first of the big Steve Harris epics that dominate the album, Lost In A Lost World. And lets face it, we all know exactly what to expect, 'Arry has been writing the exact same song for 30 years now. The quieter intro bit has a keyboard wash and echoey vocals that make it sound a bit like Planet Caravan, then the band kick in with a trademark Maiden gallop. It delivers - it's not bad, it's just standard Maiden fare. Days of Future Past is a Smith/Dickinson rocker with a great chorus and melody.

Disc 1 ends with The Time Machine, another Harris epic, this time a co-write with Jan, which elevates it slightly. It's good, and the one song on the album that I found myself wishing was a bit longer. Disc 2 opens with Darkest Hour, the album's third and last Smith/Dickinson tune, and this one is a little odd for an opener - it's not exactly a ballad, but it's a slower tempo song of the sort you wouldn't really expect Smith to write. I like it a lot.

The album ends with 3 Steve Harris epics back to back. Death of the Celts is standard fare, with a nice Irish Jig section, and it sounds like it belongs in the Blaze Bailey era (Bruce's voice is sounding more like Blaze as it ages). The Parchment is better, much better. Probably the best thing Maiden have done since Powerslave. Finally Maiden have their own Kashmir - this is brilliant (even if it is about 2 minutes too long). I suspect this will be a LOT of people's favourite Maiden song of the reunion era. A lot of reviews have claimed final track Hell On Earth is even better, but I just don't hear it. It was a lot better on second listen, mind, so perhaps this one's a grower.

Whether you love this one or not will depend on your opinion of those Steve Harris epics that all sound the same. If you like them, you'll love this album, because it's chock full of them. It is bloated and should have been a single disc, and the digipack remains a horrible idea. The keyboards are pretty awful too - keyboard technology has come a long way in the last 30 years. After 2 listens I's say it's a better album than Book of Souls because it's more coherent and focused, but it's too long and too Harris-heavy to be better than TFF or AMOLAD.

Album of the year? Well, that depends on how good the ABBA album turns out to be...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6280 on: September 04, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »
That's a nice writeup, Orange.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6281 on: September 04, 2021, 10:23:39 AM »
Yeah, nice review, man!

I still think it's a tired album, and Bruce's vocals being in the mid range most of the time makes the whole album lack dynamic. But ...I got a physical copy today!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6282 on: September 04, 2021, 10:24:44 AM »
Nice write-up indeed, and for the most part it captures how I feel about the album so far too.

I do think Lost in a Lost World is a little more of a departure from the typical Harris' epic (not THAT different, of course  :)) But overall, yes, I agree with your points on the songs. I have no idea where the album will land in my rankings, as it's ridiculously early, but I have to say I'm overall quite happy with it. As with many "modern" IM albums, I wish certain things were different, but it's more than a solid effort.

And I also want to add that The Writing on the Wall clicked big time. I mean, I liked it when I heard it first, but I love it now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6283 on: September 04, 2021, 11:28:51 AM »
Yeah, nice review, man!

I still think it's a tired album, and Bruce's vocals being in the mid range most of the time makes the whole album lack dynamic. But ...I got a physical copy today!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6284 on: September 04, 2021, 12:14:58 PM »
I'm still waiting for my physical copy, but I listened to the whole album on youtube and piped it through my big stereo. 
I hope the production sounds better on the cd than the obviously compressed YouTube version.  I liked the album but need to hear it a few more times to give a accurate review. So far I think Death of the Celts is my favorite. That one grabbed my attention more than the other epics for some reason.  The album comes in with a bang with the first three tracks and puts you in that nice Maiden-y mode to set the stage for the rest of the album.  It seems like a non metal album on the most part with it's laid back nature.  I'm excited to get know the album better, but I'm gonna wait until the cd arrives as the sound quality will be better. I'm just glad the guys are still making new music and love doing what they do.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6285 on: September 04, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
It looks like Maiden has perfected what they do. This is pretty much a textbook album from them, and they really pushed some boundaries insofar as sounds go. At the same time I found it pretty boring. Every song sounds exactly like what they've been doing for the last 26 years. While a lot of the style was new and fresh, the songs were rehashes. I kept having the same thought: wow, I've never heard them do this before, and yet I've heard this a thousand times before. The exception was WotW, which I now like more for its uniqueness.

That's not to say that I didn't like it. A couple of the songs were quite good, if derivative. Unfortunately, I thought the best songs typically ran on a few minutes too long. Each new song that came on I'd think "hey, this is pretty cool," before it turned into standard Maiden by the numbers. The standout was Darkest Hour, I thought (and the reason I went back 26 years, rather than 20). Time Machine was also solid. Shorter tracks that weren't trying to be anything but cool songs.

Also, I'm now ready to jump on the "ditch Kevin Shirley" bandwagon (though in truth, I suspect Arry is the bigger culprit in this). This is not a good sounding album.

Question: is having a guitar double Bruce a new thing, or have I just not noticed before? Seemed to be a recurring theme here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #6286 on: September 04, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
If anyone has a vinyl copy in hand already, does it come with a download code? The description never specified, so if not I might search out the book version if it’s still available to match my copy of TBOS

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6287 on: September 04, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
The guitar doubling Bruce is a pretty horrible arrangement device, imo. I try to tune it out. I think I was first aware of it on When The Wind Blows and it spoiled that track for me. Which is a shame as it's great subject matter.

I feel it over-emphasises a single melody to the point where it feels like the rest of the instrumentation is rendered less important, and the track feels somehow oversimplified as a result. I'm not sure I've quite put my finger on it there but something like that.

I think Steve secretly wants them all to play a single English Folk Irish Jig melody in time to some drums and Bruce sing that same tune for an hour straight.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6288 on: September 04, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »
Heard it. Quick first impressions:

SENJUTSU is good, expected it to pick up the pace sometime. Now I know it's a bombastic mid tempo, I'll appreciate it for what it is, it's so dramatic and epic!

STRATEGO is a solid rocking track.

THE WRITING ON THE WALL is good all things considered! it has a good punch and flows very well.

LOST IN A LOST WORLD.... mh.... didn't convince me.

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST feels like one of the lesser short tracks, Alchemist or Pilgrim are better probably.

THE TIME MACHINE didn't convince me either.

DARKEST HOUR is great!!! so intense and powerful! hoped for more lyrics and even more dramatic passages but it's a great track!

DEATH OF THE CELTS is as "useless" (we already had The Clansman) as fun it is. Quite nice.

THE PARCHMENT.... eh, a lot to digest, guess I'll need to hear it more.

HELL ON EARTH is great but why in the bloody hell, after years and years of repeating choruses, they have such a great chorus and use it only ONCE!?!?!? it could have been such a great bombastic way to end the song (and the album) but they go out with a whimper, rather than a bang! the song and album should have ended with that chorus, come on!

And yeah, the guitars doubling Bruce is all over the place. Gut feeling? The Book of Souls is better, but this album is good. I hope I will catch up with the songs that didn't grab me!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6289 on: September 04, 2021, 02:58:30 PM »
I haven’t followed this thread in quite some time, didn’t even realize the new release was yesterday. Gave it a spin today. I’ll give more thoughts another time, but if I could sum the album (and band for that matter) up one one word, it would be “tired”.

I was thinking I was gonna be the only one to say it, but then saw Rodrigo and Bart chime in along those lines.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6290 on: September 04, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »

I think Steve secretly wants them all to play a single English Folk Irish Jig melody in time to some drums and Bruce sing that same tune for an hour straight.

I can hear that...:rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6291 on: September 04, 2021, 03:24:02 PM »

Question: is having a guitar double Bruce a new thing, or have I just not noticed before? Seemed to be a recurring theme here.

Well, is present in songs like Aces High, Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, Ghost of the Navigator.....

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6292 on: September 04, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
It looks like Maiden has perfected what they do. This is pretty much a textbook album from them, and they really pushed some boundaries insofar as sounds go. At the same time I found it pretty boring. Every song sounds exactly like what they've been doing for the last 26 years. While a lot of the style was new and fresh, the songs were rehashes. I kept having the same thought: wow, I've never heard them do this before, and yet I've heard this a thousand times before. The exception was WotW, which I now like more for its uniqueness.

That's not to say that I didn't like it. A couple of the songs were quite good, if derivative. Unfortunately, I thought the best songs typically ran on a few minutes too long. Each new song that came on I'd think "hey, this is pretty cool," before it turned into standard Maiden by the numbers. The standout was Darkest Hour, I thought (and the reason I went back 26 years, rather than 20). Time Machine was also solid. Shorter tracks that weren't trying to be anything but cool songs.

Also, I'm now ready to jump on the "ditch Kevin Shirley" bandwagon (though in truth, I suspect Arry is the bigger culprit in this). This is not a good sounding album.

I’m not sure Kevin Shirley is to blame, this is how they want it to sound.  If you listen to Shirley’s work on Falling Into Infinity, it sounds pristine.  It’s not my favourite DT album but it sounds great, same with the Journey albums he did.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6293 on: September 04, 2021, 03:59:01 PM »
but if I could sum the album (and band for that matter) up one one word, it would be “tired”.

I can understand being less than impressed with the album, but I'd hardly call the band tired. The Legacy Of The Beast tour in 2019 was generally regarded by many long time Maiden fans as one of their best performances. And previously, the Book Of Souls tour was a ridiculously energetic performance.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6294 on: September 04, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »
but if I could sum the album (and band for that matter) up one one word, it would be “tired”.

I can understand being less than impressed with the album, but I'd hardly call the band tired. The Legacy Of The Beast tour in 2019 was generally regarded by many long time Maiden fans as one of their best performances. And previously, the Book Of Souls tour was a ridiculously energetic performance.

To clarify... I didn't mean this vis-a-vis their touring stamina - though, Bruce has clearly lost a lot of the upper range and power over the years.  I meant from the standpoint of writing new songs that sound fresh, and innovative, and exciting.  I haven't gotten anything from them over the last 3 albums.

I'll admit, this is clearly a 'me' thing, give the apparent circle jerk that's largely going on in this thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6295 on: September 04, 2021, 04:10:57 PM »

To clarify... I didn't mean this vis-a-vis their touring stamina - though, Bruce has clearly lost a lot of the upper range and power over the years.  I meant from the standpoint of writing new songs that sound fresh, and innovative, and exciting.  I haven't gotten anything from them over the last 3 albums.

I'll admit, this is clearly a 'me' thing, give the apparent circle jerk that's largely going on in this thread.

Nah, that's ok. Look, I'm likely taking at least 3 Reunion Era albums over this one. But I can still find enough enjoyable songs to still really like this. I wasn't a huge fan of The Book Of Souls, personally.

I actually don't think there's a huge circle jerk going on anyway. This album has definitely taken some heat here.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6296 on: September 04, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »
I think the problem is not Kevin Shirley, it's the fact that he doesn't have a say on what goes on an album and what doesn't. At this stage in the game, what I think happens is that the band tries to please everyone and not argue about what goes on an album and what gets cut. I still believe they could release something as influential, trendsetting and IMPORTANT for metal as their 80's output was, but that will require some criticism and some editing. I just don't think they're ready to accept that at this point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6297 on: September 04, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »
Right. The buck stops with Steve.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6298 on: September 04, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »
Agreed. Kevin’s role with Maiden seems to be more of a recording/mixing engineer than actual producer.

Btw, every time I hear the intro to The Parchment, I think of this: https://youtu.be/tbNlMtqrYS0  :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6299 on: September 04, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
I think the problem is not Kevin Shirley, it's the fact that he doesn't have a say on what goes on an album and what doesn't. At this stage in the game, what I think happens is that the band tries to please everyone and not argue about what goes on an album and what gets cut. I still believe they could release something as influential, trendsetting and IMPORTANT for metal as their 80's output was, but that will require some criticism and some editing. I just don't think they're ready to accept that at this point.

But this is not an easy task. Despite good records released or not, it is undeniable that most of the old bands produced the really influential material in their early years.

This is true for Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Jethro Tull etc.

And even when they manage to produce a cool record (eg 13 by Black Sabbath or more recent works by Purple) these records are bonuses to their careers. They don't increase the influence of these bands.

Judas managed to make an album exactly the way the fans wanted and it was a success. But it cannot be said that Firepower is an important record for the history of Heavy Metal in the band's discography. Important ones are British Steel or Screaming for Vengeance.