Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573515 times)

Offline bobzor

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6230 on: September 03, 2021, 05:25:53 AM »
One listen so far. My first impressions are the following.

There is a lot to digest here, and I think it will need 10 listens or so before a pattern will start to emerge. But overall, I'd say it's a strong album. The typical faults are there: some songs are too long, the production is not that great, etc. But the songs are definitely good, and I'd say the material is stronger than on Book of Souls. Especially the vocal department seems somehow more satisfying this time, although Bruce is a bit low in the mix from time to time. As for the guitars, many of the melodies remind me of X Factor, which was a nice surprise. To my great disappointment, the greatest guitar solo of the album turned out to be Adrian's solo on Writings on the Wall. That one is so great, that my hopes were up that the whole album might be filled with that stuff. Not so.

The only song I find extremely dull and straight out bad is Death of the Celts. Nothing good to say about that one.

The best songs right now: Senjutsu, Hell on Earth, Darkest Hour. Days of Future past seemed very promising, and the riffs in the beginning are awesome, but the chorus was a bit lame.

But yeah, only first impressions here, so gonna need more time with this one. A lot more time. 

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6231 on: September 03, 2021, 06:47:23 AM »
Not hearing a lot of love for Darkest Hour yet so thought I would mention it. That solo section is pretty magical! Really well done. Some very tasty guitar playing, including the last chorus lead fills.

Still on my first couple of listens, and that one stood out. Excellent. Totally agree about the solo section - top notch, and a lot better than the usual trade-off widdling.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6232 on: September 03, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
I've listened to the album twice.  Only song I haven't really spent time on is Darkest Hour, otherwise I'm loving it.  Death of the Celts does seem like a re-hash of something like The Clansman, but that doesn't bother me.  This is just who Maiden is and I respect the hell out of them for doing what they want to do. 

There are some amazing Bruce moments - I'm loving his vocal melodies on a couple of songs.  Lost in a Lost World and other other.  Writing on the Wall remains one of my favorites - they haven't ever done a country-western sounding song before and I love the vibe and stomp of that song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6233 on: September 03, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »
Interestingly enough, the track that absolutely stood out to me on my first two listens is in fact Darkest hour. That chorus blew me away.

I am digging the entire album so far. This will be such a good weekend.  :metal

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6234 on: September 03, 2021, 08:12:49 AM »
Lost In A Lost World is an interesting one.

I've never heard the Oooh and Aaah backing vocals like that on a Maiden song before. Reminds me a little of Pink Floyd.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6235 on: September 03, 2021, 08:20:19 AM »
Lost In A Lost World is an interesting one.

I've never heard the Oooh and Aaah backing vocals like that on a Maiden song before. Reminds me a little of Pink Floyd.

I really dug the Oooh/Aaah backing vocals in Lost in a Lost World. That song is growing on me quite a bit. I generally really like the epics on "Senjutsu"! Aside from "The Parchment". That hasn't clicked, and I don't feel like listening to it anymore.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6236 on: September 03, 2021, 08:26:41 AM »
Random thoughts...after one (!) listen, so it's very much a feel-based reaction:

- Might be the obvious extra-familiarity, but I'm enjoying the two singles within the album.
- The title-track sounds cool and it's a different way (for Maiden) to start the album
- Of the tracks exclusively penned by Harris, the one that stood out the most was actually Lost in a Lost World. Chorus sounded a bit clumsy, but the song is very interesting. Cool intro and outro too...
- ...And regarding the three closing epics: I liked The Parchment a lot. A little more "epic-Maiden". Death of the Celts isn't bad but it's the one that sounded the most "rehashed" to me. Hell on Earth: way too much of the vocals following the guitar melodic line for my taste...The melodies are good per se but, I don't know, it just doesn't sit super-well with me. Really like the vocals in the final third or so of the song.
- Loved The Time Machine. Probably my favorite after the first run.

Let's see how this all changes with further listens  :)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6237 on: September 03, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
The Time Machine's bookend intro/outro sounds very like The Talisman to my ears. Another solid song.

Back round to Darkest Hour again. I think this one is my favourite. Love the choice of chords in the "You sowed the wind, and now you reap the whirlwind" line.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6238 on: September 03, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »
I haven't heard the song yet, but a Swedish reviewer compared bits of 'The Time Machine' to Dream Theater. Sounds intriguing.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6239 on: September 03, 2021, 08:41:56 AM »
Speaking of The Time Machine...the instrumental break starting around 3:10...between the guitar melody and the drum pattern, I thought it reminded me of something from X-Factor, and it actually did...Edge of Darkness, around the 3-minute mark (one my favorite songs with Blaze, btw)

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6240 on: September 03, 2021, 09:22:19 AM »
I think Senjutsu is better than The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls. While those 2 albums had higher highs (ok maybe not TFF), they had a few songs I didn’t care for at all while I really like every song here. I’m satisfied with this album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6241 on: September 03, 2021, 09:24:41 AM »
Speaking of The Time Machine...the instrumental break starting around 3:10...between the guitar melody and the drum pattern, I thought it reminded me of something from X-Factor, and it actually did...Edge of Darkness, around the 3-minute mark (one my favorite songs with Blaze, btw)

Yup.

The Time Machine's bookend intro/outro sounds very like The Talisman to my ears.

And yup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6242 on: September 03, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »
I think Senjutsu is better than The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls. While those 2 albums had higher highs (ok maybe not TFF), they had a few songs I didn’t care for at all while I really like every song here. I’m satisfied with this album.

I think so too.  Being better than TFF was a bit easier for me, but I think it is likely better than TBOS as well.  Which means it's probably better than DOD too.  Is it better than BNW or AMOLAD? I'm not sure about that.  I need more listens.  Who knows where this ends up, but it's not at the bottom or near the bottom.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6243 on: September 03, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »
TFF is still my favorite Reunion album.  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #6244 on: September 03, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
I'll take the higher highs any day.  The new one is OK and I haven't heard it that much but nothing stands out to me as great on it.  One of the lesser reunion albums for me as of now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6245 on: September 03, 2021, 09:34:25 AM »

AMOLAD is still mine  :P

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6246 on: September 03, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »
Senjutsu isn't even better than Fear of the Dark or No Prayer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6247 on: September 03, 2021, 09:59:49 AM »

::)  I got to imagine this is a minority opinion, but to each their own. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6248 on: September 03, 2021, 10:00:08 AM »

Yup, me too.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #6249 on: September 03, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »

I think my order is:

The Book of Souls
A Matter of Life and Death
Brave New World
Dance of Death
TFF/Senjetsu (the latter is too new to rank these two yet)

I don't dislike the bottom two, I just prefer the others. Dance of Death tough, it's best is great but 6 of 11 are throwaways for me. I prefer albums with "higher highs" but that throwaway ratio is just too high.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6250 on: September 03, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »
Love the soloing on this album. A lot more feel and melodicaly constructed.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6251 on: September 03, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »

I think it is, but I don’t think those albums are bad at all.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6252 on: September 03, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
Very quick initial thoughts:

Surprised - but also delighted because I'm hopeful my opinion will change - at how positive the reaction to Darkest Hour is here. It just left me feeling utterly bored.

Several songs sounded as though they'd benefit from getting into the action straight away.

And is it just me or does the first vocal melody in Hell on Earth really, really sound like When the Wild Wind Blows?

I saw many people elsewhere comparing it to The X Factor. Maybe, in terms of the oppressive feel. But Senjutsu isn't fit to lace The X Factor's boots :biggrin: (I am aware of how preposterous that assertion is given that I've only listened to it once :lol)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 10:36:19 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6253 on: September 03, 2021, 10:21:10 AM »
One thing I’ve noticed is that people who are quick to criticize DT for rehashing things totally excuse it when Maiden re-hash almost entire songs  :lol. Bit of a double standard.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6254 on: September 03, 2021, 10:38:28 AM »
This album is Fantastic.  I realize for Maiden it doesn't re-invent the wheel nor should we have expected them to.  but i have to be honest and say it does enough things to keep it fresh.  it does away for the most part with the repetitive hooks over and over.  and thus the album flew by for me.

I loved basically the entire first disc with the stand out track being The Darkest Hour (pasted solo and all.....i don't care, lol)

2nd disc is a little less grabbing me but the Parchment Kicks major ass.

i think this is better Than TBOS honestly and AMOLAD (which is the biggest offender of Streaching songs out with repeating hooks.....god is that album too much and i do love it, BTW)''

Great fuckin' album

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6255 on: September 03, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
This album is Fantastic.  I realize for Maiden it doesn't re-invent the wheel nor should we have expected them to.  but i have to be honest and say it does enough things to keep it fresh.
Great fuckin' album

Completely agree. IMO, it's the best 2K album in the Maiden canon!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6256 on: September 03, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »
One thing I’ve noticed is that people who are quick to criticize DT for rehashing things totally excuse it when Maiden re-hash almost entire songs  :lol. Bit of a double standard.

I think there's a good amount of criticism for IM rehashing things.  For me, I never bitched about DT doing it or any bands.  Some bands find their groove and stick with it, it never bothered me as long as I liked the songs (which I do for both bands). There's definitely a side of prog fans who feel like bands should always evolve though, which is fine.  To each their own on what they would like a band to do.  As long as the music is good, I don't care.

I also think, with IM being so old now, that it's just kind of expected that they aren't going to change things up too much and for us hardcore fans, just enjoy getting new music from them that is still enjoyable is a huge win regardless of musical direction.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6257 on: September 03, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »
My initial impression is that this album is pretty consistent with the quality of the albums from 2000 on. My faves are the BNW/DOD/AMOLAD run, but it already seems Senjutsu is the best from the last 3: it has more consistency, variety and best production (still not great and awaaaay from JP's Firepower perfection), although it doesn't have Empire of the Clouds. :heart
Already totally loving Senjutsu, Time Machine and Hell on Earth! And a lot of great instrumental passages and soloing by Smith/Murray/Gers! :metal :metal :metal
By the way, zero complaints about ANY repetitions on the choruses, right? :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6258 on: September 03, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »
My initial impression is that this album is pretty consistent with the quality of the albums from 2000 on. My faves are the BNW/DOD/AMOLAD run, but it already seems Senjutsu is the best from the last 3: it has more consistency, variety and best production (still not great and awaaaay from JP's Firepower perfection), although it doesn't have Empire of the Clouds. :heart
Already totally loving Senjutsu, Time Machine and Hell on Earth! And a lot of great instrumental passages and soloing by Smith/Murray/Gers! :metal :metal :metal
By the way, zero complaints about ANY repetitions on the choruses, right? :tup

the repetition is pretty much done away with on Shinjutsu.  as much as i love AMOLAD but it went on six years too long.  just the chorus over and over.  that album was the biggest offender of that.  i love it but you cut at least three refrains from each song.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6259 on: September 03, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »
My big book version just arrived. Will listen tonight. Have yet to hear a single note.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6260 on: September 03, 2021, 11:41:32 AM »

AMOLAD is still mine  :P

BNW is mine ;-p

Have had a couple of listens and am really enjoying the new album. So far not a single track sounds like filler to me. It all flows and blends quite well, though I do get the comment about how there are so many slow acoustic starting tracks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online nick_z

« Reply #6261 on: September 03, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »

Online NoseofNicko

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6263 on: September 03, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »

In my opinion there are two relevant criticisms that can be made to the album.

1) The production isn't the best, even by the standard of the latest IM records (And I'm not one of the people who always complain about production).

2) There are in fact a number of similar or even identical ideas. I think there was a little care in trying to avoid that.
And I give an example of one of my favorites on the record.

The Time Machine: 03:08
The Book of Souls: 05:21

Janick made the same melody (or very similar)  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6264 on: September 03, 2021, 12:11:31 PM »
Man the last two tracks are pure money. Amazing ending to the album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan