Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573295 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6195 on: September 02, 2021, 05:13:34 PM »
A new Iron Maiden record. If you think about it, it's only been six moments like this in the last 21 years! And we don't know if there will be another one.

So Up the Irons!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6196 on: September 02, 2021, 05:45:06 PM »
Stratego and Writing On The Wall sound so much better within the complete album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6197 on: September 02, 2021, 05:47:12 PM »
Senjutsu and Writing On The Wall sound so much better within the complete album.

Stratego, maybe??  :biggrin:

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6198 on: September 02, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »
Stratego and Writing On The Wall sound so much better within the complete album.

Agreed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6199 on: September 02, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »
Senjutsu and Writing On The Wall sound so much better within the complete album.

Stratego, maybe??  :biggrin:

:facepalm:

Yeah, that too!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6200 on: September 02, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »

Agreed.

I think so too.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6201 on: September 02, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
Not loving it on the first run through.  Some great guitar solos but not much to sing along to in the songs themselves, a lot of it is a bit dreary to me.  Death of The Celts is very Blaze Bayley era, you can almost hear Bruce channeling him in the verses.  Just started the last song now.  Hopefully the album is a grower as there are some awesome instrumental moments and solos but I’m not getting too many vocal hooks here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6202 on: September 02, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
It's loaded with vocal hooks. Listening to the beginning of Lost In A Lost World..That's one! Real old 70's (Nektar?) vibe to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6203 on: September 02, 2021, 06:30:14 PM »
.. is very Blaze Bayley era,

There's been a few times where I thought of the Blaze Era. The album has a production that is similar to VXI. At least in some of the rhythm guitars.

Actually, that would be my ONE critique of the album.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:35:18 PM by TAC »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6204 on: September 02, 2021, 06:35:28 PM »
Not loving it on the first run through.  Some great guitar solos but not much to sing along to in the songs themselves, a lot of it is a bit dreary to me.  Death of The Celts is very Blaze Bayley era, you can almost hear Bruce channeling him in the verses.  Just started the last song now.  Hopefully the album is a grower as there are some awesome instrumental moments and solos but I’m not getting too many vocal hooks here.

A lot of this album sounds Blaze era too.  I guess a lot of the reunion era has too, but I think this production and some of the darker tones make it feel even more Blaze Era than even some of the songs from BNW that were actually written in the Blaze era. 

I just finished my first listen, I'd say it's a very strong album.  It's dense which was kind of expected given the long songs.  The production kind of sucks TBH.  Maybe the worst of the reunion era. It's easily my biggest negative.  The songs themselves, overall are pretty good but the album is a long one so you got to have patience, especially when the songs are a bit slower pace overall.  I do think the songs are good, and makes for a very solid IM album. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6205 on: September 02, 2021, 06:37:06 PM »
Steve's final stanzas to Lost In A Lost World and Hell On Earth, sung by Bruce, are chilling.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6206 on: September 02, 2021, 06:47:33 PM »
It's loaded with vocal hooks. Listening to the beginning of Lost In A Lost World..That's one! Real old 70's (Nektar?) vibe to it.

That’s quite nice yes but I’m talking about huge punch the air choruses that you’ll be singing along to live.  Days Of Future Past has some of that and hopefully some of the others will reveal themselves to me with repeated listens.  The Time Machine had some classic Maiden guitar melodies from memory too.  There’s enough to give me hope that I’ll come to like it but wasn’t in love with it on my first listen.  Time for bed!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6207 on: September 02, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »
There's a lot to digest for sure. But this album has no shortage of concert moments.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6208 on: September 02, 2021, 07:10:48 PM »
Hell on Earth reminds me so much of AMOLAD, it's my favorite after one full listen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6209 on: September 02, 2021, 07:15:06 PM »
Hell on Earth reminds me so much of AMOLAD, it's my favorite after one full listen

It actually reminds me a lot of When The Wild Wind Blows. A LOT! But it's a great song and I hope they play it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6210 on: September 02, 2021, 07:19:21 PM »

It actually reminds me a lot of When The Wild Wind Blows. A LOT! But it's a great song and I hope they play it.

Me too, I get the feeling for the last Legacy of the Beast shows they will play the singles, but when it comes to 2023... I hope they play this and others as well.  Maybe we can get a fall 2022 tour for more of the new songs in the US at best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6211 on: September 02, 2021, 07:20:23 PM »
Blaze era moments just suit me fine.

Really want to listen but want to wait til I can get the CD.  Might do some initial reaction posts while listening when I do get it.  I love doing that sort of shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6212 on: September 02, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
  Might do some initial reaction posts while listening when I do get it.  I love doing that sort of shit.

Yes please!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6213 on: September 02, 2021, 07:37:57 PM »
 :tup

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6214 on: September 02, 2021, 09:37:45 PM »
Blaze era moments just suit me fine.

Really want to listen but want to wait til I can get the CD.  Might do some initial reaction posts while listening when I do get it.  I love doing that sort of shit.

I almost shot you PM to ask if you'd heard it yet! Can't wait for your reactions /o/

This album kind of worries me -- it feels like the band tapped into my personal messages with friends and figured out what I wanted from an Iron Maiden album and just gave it to me  :lol I'm floored. Time Machine and Hell on Earth are the 11/10s for me, but there's a LOT for me to love here (I don't think there's any track that gets less than a 9/10 from me).

Really, really hoping they do the full-album tour setlist for this one like Bruce mentioned. Seems unlikely (and more unlikely that they'll hit South America with this tour), but I'd be happy just knowing they did it.

I couldn't believe all the catchy melodies they dug around. That and the way they'd tone things down for dynamics... ever since AMOLAD there's been some stuff in the albums that feels a bit too "off the cuff" for me, so this was a GREAT change in that regard -- everything feels really planned and worked on for great effect, with less of the "first take's good enough" vibe. Adrian mentioned they really had to work hard to get WOTW to sound right, and there's a lot like this throughout the album.

Have you guys read the lyrics? I think esp. on Hell on Earth Steve sort of reached a new level of... heartfelt bleakness? It's hard to describe, but if the lyrics posted online are legit, it's the most cryptic but oddly enticing they've ever been, lyrically.

One final thought: I've seen people complain about Janick's guitars accompanying the vocals, the quiet intros, the repetition... to each their own, but I wouldn't have this album any other way. They definitely recovered some ideas from the Blaze years and the album's all the better for it.

Definitely too attached for true objectivity (I usually kid that, with Maiden, I'm never really able to be objective, so I couldn't write professionally about them), but this is easily my favorite from them since Dance of Death (which is my favorite by them over all) and I'm glad to have it as an audio-form companion. It does carry a sense of finality to it, so while I'd love for them to have another go at the studio, if this is their last one, they couldn't have a better curtain call in my book.

By the way, it's been really exciting to post on this topic and follow everyone's reactions to this stuff. Whether I agree or disagree with any opinions bears no weight to me -- I don't know for how much longer we'll have this band in activity with us, so I see y'all as companions in this wild ride. Thanks!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #6215 on: September 02, 2021, 09:55:56 PM »
Loving the new album. It is a grower. Pretty blown away by those final 3 song Harris epics, but really enjoying all the songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6216 on: September 02, 2021, 10:00:16 PM »
Man, I'm fucking hyped.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6217 on: September 02, 2021, 10:05:16 PM »

To me, Hell on Earth sounds like a mix of Afraid to Shoot Strangers and When the Wild Wind Blows. One of my early favorites too!

One song that stood out immediately was Days of Future Past! One of the Best Smith/Dickinson songs of the reunion era IMO.

It's way too early to say anything for sure, but I think I might like this more than "The Book of Souls". A lot to digest here..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:12:40 PM by Polarbear »

Offline The Realm

« Reply #6218 on: September 02, 2021, 10:25:59 PM »
Not hearing a lot of love for Darkest Hour yet so thought I would mention it. That solo section is pretty magical! Really well done. Some very tasty guitar playing, including the last chorus lead fills.

Offline bobzor

« Reply #6219 on: September 02, 2021, 11:15:11 PM »
Man, I'm fucking hyped.

Same! I've struggled not to listen to any Youtube/streaming links. Record shops open in a few hours here, so I'm waiting for my physical copy. The posts here seem very promising.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6220 on: September 02, 2021, 11:19:16 PM »
Listening now and am on The Time Machine. Such a great song, and one that would go well live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6221 on: September 02, 2021, 11:52:54 PM »
SENJUTSU: Just got through the entire album twice and though it’s a departure from all other albums, I enjoyed it. They seem to be very comfortable with the writing and the performances on it . We have Number of the beast, Piece of mind, and Powerslave already so I guess that keeps me open to whatever these guys do. Bruce said they enjoyed writing and recording it and he also said there were some new elements they never did and he hopes the fans enjoy it as much as they do. These guys are clearly writing what they want to hear and I respect that being they have been doing this for over 40 years. More thoughts to come but I’m digging’ it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6222 on: September 03, 2021, 12:00:30 AM »
Seems where I'll buy it from only has the regular edition and the media book is delayed.  Hmmm......

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6223 on: September 03, 2021, 01:44:42 AM »
Looks like my vinyl and CD should both arrive today. Splendid.

The X-Factor is a top five record for me so comparisons with Senjutsu are intriguing.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6224 on: September 03, 2021, 02:36:16 AM »
Just over halfway through and the impression is very positive. After essentially scrubbing the last album from my memory,  feels like they're "back" for me.  :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6225 on: September 03, 2021, 03:28:37 AM »
I’m enjoying my first play through but would it kill them to have a beautifully produced and mixed album that they songs deserve? The sonics are dull. Someone lock Harris in a room and don’t let him out ‘til someone has mixed it.

Maiden still don’t have an album you can test your stereo with.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6226 on: September 03, 2021, 04:06:23 AM »
The very beginning of Death Of The Celts reminds me a bit of A Change Of Seasons.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #6227 on: September 03, 2021, 04:24:27 AM »
It's my favorite Maiden album since BNW \m/

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6228 on: September 03, 2021, 04:43:50 AM »
Enjoying it a lot more on the second listen although not fully concentrating on it as am working at the same time.  Death of the Celts hasn’t changed though, that could literally have come straight off The X Factor (the Iron Maiden album not the terrible tv show).  Not saying that’s a bad thing as I like that album more than most.  It was actually the first Maiden album I owned.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #6229 on: September 03, 2021, 05:18:55 AM »
I have some issues with the album, but man… Hell on Earth makes up for it. What a fucking great track! Probably my favorite Harris-epic after the reunioun.