Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572260 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6090 on: August 25, 2021, 12:12:56 AM »
Wasn't TFF supposed to be their last album too?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6091 on: August 25, 2021, 12:26:20 AM »
Wasn't TFF supposed to be their last album too?

Just because of the title.

But time passes and people get old. Considering the time gap between records, I find it difficult to have a new one. But maybe I'm wrong and they do some more (to the misfortune of many  :lol)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6092 on: August 25, 2021, 01:02:19 AM »
I was a little surprised by SIT and SSOASS when I first heard them. They were a little different. (And the evolution from the debut to Killers to NOTB is clear) but apart from that, they've basically sounded the same to me for the vast majority of the time. Yeah, there are some little detours here and there, but they don't stray far.  :lol They're just not that band.

I'm just hoping for a good solid Maiden album. I'm encouraged by the singles so far.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6093 on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:45 AM »
I was a little surprised by SIT and SSOASS when I first heard them. They were a little different.

Yes, I certainly noticed the difference between those two and the two that preceded them when listening back to back.

I've found myself wishing I'd got into Maiden a little earlier than I did so I could have enjoyed their first few albums on release, living through their early evolution in real time. As it was, I got into them with Fear of the Dark. Their clichéd heavy metal singer had put me off prior to that :lol (And those cringeworthy videos for Seventh Son... ugh!)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6094 on: August 25, 2021, 01:17:43 AM »
I was a little surprised by SIT and SSOASS when I first heard them. They were a little different. (And the evolution from the debut to Killers to NOTB is clear) but apart from that, they've basically sounded the same to me for the vast majority of the time. Yeah, there are some little detours here and there, but they don't stray far.  :lol They're just not that band.

I'm just hoping for a good solid Maiden album. I'm encouraged by the singles so far.

I'm lukewarm on WOTW but loved Stratego.  That song has got me pretty hyped.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6095 on: August 25, 2021, 01:18:02 AM »
Only a week and a half away!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6096 on: August 25, 2021, 01:21:54 AM »
When can we expect some early reviews start coming in?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6097 on: August 25, 2021, 02:14:46 AM »
When can we expect some early reviews start coming in?

There are quite a few out there already. The album seems to be scoring what often reads like a bit of a polite 3/5, 7/10.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6098 on: August 25, 2021, 03:36:51 AM »
I've been listening to an album a day in the run-up to Senjutsu's release. What's struck me the most - aside from the stylistic change between Killers and The Number of the Beast - is how fast (in terms of tempo) some of their songs used to be. I'm not someone who believes they should try to remake those earlier albums but it'd be lovely to hear something genuinely up tempo from them. I think that's probably what I miss most.

Stratego is the fastest song on Senjutsu.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6099 on: August 25, 2021, 04:39:47 AM »
Good thing I haven't listened to Stratego so I don't know how fast it is.  ;D

I'm starting to avoid the thread now. I've tried for days, but now is the time.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6100 on: August 25, 2021, 04:51:03 AM »
There's a little bit more keyboards on a few songs this time, and more moments where the guitar matches the vocal lines, just like you heard on Stratego. Death of the Celts is a standout track on my first listens.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6101 on: August 25, 2021, 04:54:47 AM »
I don't know if it's already been posted here, but I found a track-by-track review by Loudwire.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-senjutsu-track-by-track-guide-review/

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6102 on: August 28, 2021, 03:04:24 PM »
So, I quickly skimmed through an audio interview with Nicko and learned two interesting facts:

- He actually had a song (or at least ideas for a song) for this album cycle, but decided to keep it to himself and present it when/if they do the next album. His song would've been about a racecar driver, of all topics!

- The first solo on Writing on the Wall was played by Dave Murray! I thought it sounded like him, but many insisted Adrian took both solos. We can now put that to rest  :biggrin:

Here's the interview proper, there ought to be more interesting tidbits in it, I'm just swamped for time at the moment https://omny.fm/shows/talkin-rock-with-meltdown/talkin-rock-with-iron-maidens-nicko-mcbrain-and-mo

So excited for September 3rd!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6103 on: August 28, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
So, I quickly skimmed through an audio interview with Nicko and learned two interesting facts:

- He actually had a song (or at least ideas for a song) for this album cycle, but decided to keep it to himself and present it when/if they do the next album. His song would've been about a racecar driver, of all topics!

I’m happy that Nicko, being the the oldest in the band, although not sure, seems to expect one more Maiden album!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6104 on: August 28, 2021, 08:08:05 PM »
Considering this new has been in the can for almost 2 years already, they could easily do another album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6105 on: August 28, 2021, 10:24:13 PM »
Was the race car driver called Jerry?

(Primus reference)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6106 on: August 29, 2021, 02:49:30 AM »
Quite a few reviews appearing now and all in the positive (so far).  Can't wait for Friday wasn't so taken by Writing OT Wall but LOVE this new song! :metal

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6107 on: August 29, 2021, 04:13:41 AM »

I’m happy that Nicko, being the the oldest in the band, although not sure, seems to expect one more Maiden album!

Nothing about this album feels like it maybe there last.  The last two albums had that potential - 'The FINAL Frontier' on the name alone and wasn't that a old interview doing the rounds at the time whereby Harris said he wanted to make 15 albums.   'Book of Souls' just felt so epic is scope at the time that it may have been the one they wanted to end on.   

I have to admit this is the least invested I've felt in a Maiden album this close till release since Virtual XII.  The two singles are both solid, but not overly inspiring, with the production again an issue.  Also I look at the track listing and see 4 Harris solo epic writes and that worries me- don't get me wrong I love several of his long songs, but they do have a predictablity too them and the thought of 3 of those epics closing the album (with a combined runtime of 35 minutes)....yeah, that's alot.

But I hope on the 3rd I'll be really enjoying Senjutsu.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6109 on: August 30, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
So I've been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden at work the last few days.
Today I hit En Vivo and Live Chapter.

On En Vivo, The Talisman and Coming Home back to back..these are two of Iron Maiden's best songs..IMO anyway.

What jumped out to me listening to the Live Chapter was Janick's solo in Blood Brothers.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55669.0
Amazing!

And I don't know about anyone else, but I could listen to the middle part of The Red And The Black all fucking day on a loop.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6110 on: August 30, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »

On En Vivo, The Talisman and Coming Home back to back..these are two of Iron Maiden's best songs..IMO anyway.

What jumped out to me listening to the Live Chapter was Janick's solo in Blood Brothers.
Amazing!

And I don't know about anyone else, but I could listen to the middle part of The Red And The Black all fucking day on a loop.

I'm with you on that. 

Also, I'm a BIG fan of En Vivo.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:49:35 AM by Stadler »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6111 on: August 30, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »

Amazing!

100%.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6112 on: August 30, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »
Good review from my buddies at Sonic Perspectives: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6113 on: August 30, 2021, 05:07:31 PM »
(Not directed at Rodrigo, as I planned this rant last night, but you did remind me to post it..)

So, there's already been some reviews posted here, and I know we'll get more as the DT album gets closer.

I seriously cannot read reviews before I hear an album, especially by a major band that I love. WTF do I care what some dude thinks about it? I've been listening to Iron Maiden for over 40 years. That guy's opinion doesn't mean shit to me, and I'm sure it's likewise.

I'm fine discussing our thoughts on DTF though, because it's like a circle of friends talking about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6114 on: August 30, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »
I'm kind of on the same page.  I think I started reading one of the first reviews and closed it half way through.  I know what I like from Maiden and why I like them so it's true, I don't care what some nobody thinks about it.  Also not directed at Rodrigo, as even though these are my thoughts, I'd love the job myself.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6115 on: August 30, 2021, 06:10:47 PM »
I totally see your point guys, and I didn't take it as a jab against me. I was always curious about reviews, because there's always a chance that the writer brings out something I didn't notice about a particular track. What I liked about this one from John Kokel is that he described the tracks in a lot of detail, without making any judgement. It seems he enjoyed the album, so he was the right guy to write it. I would be just as descriptive as he was if I was to write the review (as was originally the plan), but I wouldn't have been so kind in my score. The album isn't bad, but it's full of songs that would be PERFECT b-sides for a better album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6116 on: August 30, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »
I totally see your point guys, and I didn't take it as a jab against me. I was always curious about reviews, because there's always a chance that the writer brings out something I didn't notice about a particular track. What I liked about this one from John Kokel is that he described the tracks in a lot of detail, without making any judgement. It seems he enjoyed the album, so he was the right guy to write it. I would be just as descriptive as he was if I was to write the review (as was originally the plan), but I wouldn't have been so kind in my score. The album isn't bad, but it's full of songs that would be PERFECT b-sides for a better album.

Jeez, that doesn't sound positive at all.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6117 on: August 30, 2021, 06:34:23 PM »

And I had MULTIPLE listens since I got it last Monday. To me, it's their worst with Bruce. And I saw the short videos they did to promote it, and didn't think they sounded particularly excited about the album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6118 on: August 30, 2021, 06:42:43 PM »
The reviewer really hates the keyboards on Maiden songs! ;D
I really liked the keyboards arrangements and tone on Stratego, so, I'm expecting to like them in the rest of the album, following the pattern of the review. Reviews are interesting sometimes because we can really perceive how differently we hear things compared to the reviewer's perception.
I would never thought or write this:
"Roughly divided, Iron Maiden through “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” could be considered the first act, “No Prayer for the Dying” through “Brave New World” could be considered the second and most turbulent act, and “Dance of Death” through the future (from here to eternity?) could be considered the third and final act... Most bands of this vintage have ceased to exist or are otherwise some unspeakable Lovecraftian abomination for no reason for being, and no resemblance to their previous form (we are looking at you, Metallica...)."
Really strange this Maiden career division on those acts... I don't even consider 80's Maiden only one act! Take the first album and 7th, for example. BNW is in the same act as No Prayer, but not with DOD?!  And, you can't hear any resemblance between Ride the Lightning or Re-Load and Hardwired?! C'mon! Guns n Roses I agree, obviously.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6119 on: August 30, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
The album isn't bad, but it's full of songs that would be PERFECT b-sides for a better album.

An album of Iron Maiden B sides would be better than most band's albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6120 on: August 30, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »

And I had MULTIPLE listens since I got it last Monday. To me, it's their worst with Bruce. And I saw the short videos they did to promote it, and didn't think they sounded particularly excited about the album.

Fair play mate.

The album isn't bad, but it's full of songs that would be PERFECT b-sides for a better album.

Another fair play.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6121 on: August 30, 2021, 07:28:44 PM »
I've been listening to an album a day in the run-up to Senjutsu's release. What's struck me the most - aside from the stylistic change between Killers and The Number of the Beast - is how fast (in terms of tempo) some of their songs used to be. I'm not someone who believes they should try to remake those earlier albums but it'd be lovely to hear something genuinely up tempo from them. I think that's probably what I miss most.

Stratego is the fastest song on Senjutsu.

For real? LOL.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6122 on: August 30, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6123 on: August 30, 2021, 09:08:21 PM »
There's nothing really taking the edge off the excitement of getting to listen to this thing. In fact, I must say I appreciate what little I'm getting to glean from all the reviews (including the impressions of our own Rodrigo) just because I enjoy having a "fictional" idea of the album in my mind and then getting the real thing to compare.

I obviously can't be sure before I listen to the thing, but this album seems tailor-made for what I wanted from Iron Maiden at this point (including MORE HARRIS). I'm a bit of a hopeless optimist about a few things and Iron Maiden is one of them  :lol  even though AMOLAD and TFF really took some time to grow on me (but they did!) and I thought 60% of TBoS was BRILLIANT and 40% of it was mostly alright. In all cases, Harris' tunes were what definitely held the fort together for me.

It doesn't hurt that there have been a few comparisons with The X-Factor vibes – definitely a highlight in their career for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6124 on: August 30, 2021, 09:21:43 PM »

Since I have the best of the b-sides album that comes with Eddie's Archive, I can say from my opinion this would not be the case at all.  I'm not a fan of 80% of their bsides and am happy they did not land on the albums.  Really only the Blaze bsides were strong IMO to be album worthy.

I don't care too much about reviews for the same reasons others have stated, but sometimes I go back after I already made up my mind just to see what others have said.  I don't want someone's words to influence my initial opinion, but once mine is formed, it's interesting to see where it lines up against others. Similar to how we here at DTF continue to debate albums for years and years.

Also, another reason to not put too much stock into reviews is what you basically hinted at.  There is bias sometimes.  If you wrote a negative review would it even get published?