Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573107 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6055 on: August 20, 2021, 12:30:56 AM »
Actually, don't need to.  I found this;

https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/is-there-a-website-source-that-shows-who-plays-each-guitar-solo-in-the-songs.25418/

Skimming through though I think there's a couple of ones that may not be right.  Most look fine though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6056 on: August 20, 2021, 02:20:15 AM »
Actually, don't need to.  I found this;

https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/is-there-a-website-source-that-shows-who-plays-each-guitar-solo-in-the-songs.25418/

Skimming through though I think there's a couple of ones that may not be right.  Most look fine though.

Cool. Which ones would you fix?

And I noticed that The Book of Souls is missing.

I'll start:

01) If Eternity Should Fail
6:14 : Smith (background)

02) Speed of Light
2:48 : Murray
3:08 : Smith

03) The Great Unknown
3:07 : Gers
4:32 : Smith
4:53 : Murray

EDIT: Nevermind, I found all the solos from The Book of Souls on a French website  :lol

https://maidenfrance.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3911
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:45:14 AM by Dedalus »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6057 on: August 20, 2021, 06:09:05 AM »
Wow, that song was bloody excellent.  Loved Janicks solo too honestly, and Bruce sounds great.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6058 on: August 20, 2021, 06:48:04 AM »
I think the production of TWOTW and this one are very good, kind of a mix of BNW and AMOLAD (although the DOD 2015 remaster is my fave from the new era)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6059 on: August 20, 2021, 07:33:19 AM »
Both songs have a muddy production, perhaps the CD version will be better/clearer. Maybe it's the Youtube/Spotify quality that sucks the life out of them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #6060 on: August 20, 2021, 07:50:52 AM »
Both songs have a muddy production, perhaps the CD version will be better/clearer. Maybe it's the Youtube/Spotify quality that sucks the life out of them.

Just Steve being a weirdo. Wants the studio stuff to sound live, even though they release live versions anyway with studio-quality production.  ???

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6061 on: August 20, 2021, 09:05:46 AM »

I haven't even listened to the DT single for this reason.   I'm not as married to the "perfect sound quality" as many people here - I think the Maiden records and the DT records sound fine (in fact, I LOVE the sound of almost all the DT records) - but listening on a computer is sub-optimal.   I HATED the early releases for ADTOE and DT so much I stopped listening to them and just wait for the CD to be released. 

I'm not listening to Maiden for pristine sound; frankly, I just wanted to hear how Bruce sounded, so I listened.  I liked.  CD bought, job done.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6062 on: August 20, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
Wow, that song was bloody excellent.  Loved Janicks solo too honestly, and Bruce sounds great.

I really liked it too, seems to have gotten a so-so response from a lot of people which kind of surprises me.

I'm not the biggest fan of the sound here either.  However, the non music video version of TWOTW was actually much better sounding than the original music video released sound.  I'm going to think the album will sound a bit better, but probably still not be the best sounding album. 

Online devieira73

« Reply #6063 on: August 20, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
I look at modern Maiden albums with the aim of sounding like '70s rock albums with a modern twist. I would also prefer them to sound more like Priest's Firepower, but it's clear Steve doesn't want that kind of sound. I analyze Maiden's sound quality these days with that in mind.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6064 on: August 20, 2021, 02:12:11 PM »

I'm not on the team that discusses a lot about production, on the contrary, I think there's a lot of exaggeration these days. I feel like I've been at a congress of sound engineers in most of the discussions about music in the last 10 or 15 years  :lol

That said, in that case I fully agree.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6065 on: August 20, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »
I think the production of TWOTW and this one are very good, kind of a mix of BNW and AMOLAD (although the DOD 2015 remaster is my fave from the new era)

Curious as to the bolded reagrding DoD. I really love that album, but the production was horrid. Does the 2015 edition really improve the sound quality over the original? I'd consider a double dip if it was better.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline emtee

« Reply #6066 on: August 20, 2021, 03:31:06 PM »
I'm not loving the guitar doubling of the vocal lines.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6067 on: August 20, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »

Curious as to the bolded reagrding DoD. I really love that album, but the production was horrid. Does the 2015 edition really improve the sound quality over the original? I'd consider a double dip if it was better.

I've read a lot about the 2015 remasters and there is quite a lot of opinion that the 2015 sounds quite a lot better.  I contemplated purchasing all the 2015 remasters but haven't done so yet.  Probably won't either.

Online devieira73

« Reply #6068 on: August 20, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »

Well, I believe it's the version avaible nowadays on itunes and spotify, if you want to check it out first. In my perception, the remaster version of DOD is the one that makes more difference. I've always find DOD's mix very interesting because, from 2000 on, IMO it's the mix where the guitars are more predominant, but its mastering really did a disservice. Also I think the 2015 remaster of the first album added a lot! :tup
But, hear  it for yourself since my opinion about the sound quality of the new songs has being crushed  :D :D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6069 on: August 20, 2021, 10:50:33 PM »
I'm not loving the guitar doubling of the vocal lines.

I haven't listened to it yet - might as well wait for the album now - but this is one of relative dislikes with second-coming Maiden, doesn't matter which song it is. I never quite understand why it's necessary. But perhaps that's why I'm an account director rather than a rock star :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6070 on: August 21, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »
Turned Stratego on while my 3 year old and I were playing dolls. This conversation ensued:

"Why are you playing that song?"
"Because I like it."
"I don't like it, it sounds fighty."
"Fighty?"
"Yeah."
"What do you mean?"
"You know, fighty."
"Like it makes you want to fight?"
"Yeah."

Bravo, Iron Maiden, mission accomplished.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6071 on: August 21, 2021, 11:04:10 AM »
Turned Stratego on while my 3 year old and I were playing dolls. This conversation ensued:

"Why are you playing that song?"
"Because I like it."
"I don't like it, it sounds fighty."
"Fighty?"
"Yeah."
"What do you mean?"
"You know, fighty."
"Like it makes you want to fight?"
"Yeah."

Bravo, Iron Maiden, mission accomplished.

Best review I've ever read!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6073 on: August 24, 2021, 06:11:45 PM »
I heard the whole thing - got my promo copy. I'm underwhelmed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6074 on: August 24, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »

Ooooff!!  :(

Online faizoff

« Reply #6075 on: August 24, 2021, 06:24:17 PM »

Interesting, would this be the 1st post reunion era album that you felt this way?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6076 on: August 24, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »

Interesting, would this be the 1st post reunion era album that you felt this way?

Good question. I didn't like AMOLAD all that much on my first listens, but recognized the awesomeness of Longest Day, These Colors Don't Run and Brighter than a Thousand Suns. Eventually, I learned to enjoy the whole album. And I LOVED Book of Souls from the first listen. While the first two listens of Senjutsu were not the most attentive ones - I was waiting in line at the bank to run errands for my dad, who passed away recently - I felt the tracks are more generic than usual. Didn't notice any stand out moments, although Death of the Celts an The Parchment sounded slightly better on my second listen. But the drum fills are lazy, the intros are extra long this time around - one of them is over 2 and a half minutes, and I didn't find one spine-tingling chorus. At times, it sounded like an AI generated Maiden album. Too bad because I think this new Eddie is the coolest since 7th Son.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6077 on: August 24, 2021, 06:59:03 PM »
That's disappointing to hear, especially since you loved TBOS right away.

Hope you are holding up the best you can too mate.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6078 on: August 24, 2021, 07:03:10 PM »
That's disappointing to hear, especially since you loved TBOS right away.

Hope you are holding up the best you can too mate.

Thanks. It's nice to be back home for a few weeks and to be with the family.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6079 on: August 24, 2021, 07:03:29 PM »
Too bad because I think this new Eddie is the coolest since 7th Son.

That's an interesting thought that could inspire a thread of its own.....can a bad Maiden album ruin its badass Eddie on the cover?

Or can a badass Eddie be wasted by a mediocre album?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6080 on: August 24, 2021, 07:06:40 PM »
Too bad because I think this new Eddie is the coolest since 7th Son.

That's an interesting thought that could inspire a thread of its own.....can a bad Maiden album ruin its badass Eddie on the cover?

Or can a badass Eddie be wasted by a mediocre album?

It would be like ranking the albums and ranking the Eddie's and see where things average out.  You'd have to try and not be bias though by picking a particular Eddie just because you are very fond of the respective album.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6081 on: August 24, 2021, 07:19:49 PM »
 Yeah, cool idea for a thread. And I think they will go to town on the stage design of the new tour. It seems there was a lot of research done by the band and the artist when the theme of samurais was chosen as the subject of the cover.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6082 on: August 24, 2021, 07:31:59 PM »
I always thought Brave New World was a fucking cool ass album cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #6083 on: August 24, 2021, 07:43:22 PM »

I was just thinking that a couple of weeks ago when I gave BNW a listen for the first time in quite a while. Probably the best Maiden album cover, IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6084 on: August 24, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »

I was just thinking that a couple of weeks ago when I gave BNW a listen for the first time in quite a while. Probably the best Maiden album cover, IMO.

You might be right. To me Killers is the most iconic, but BNW is the most impactful, considering the album title and reunion.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #6085 on: August 24, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
Funny that anyone would expect anything different. The reviews have said as much. Same old half-baked autopilot stuff. Should have quit after TFF it pains me to say (though I’m glad we got EOTC but even that song was 5 minutes too long).

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6086 on: August 24, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »
Brave New World has always been one of my favorite Eddies.  Such a menacing face in the clouds. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6087 on: August 24, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
Funny that anyone would expect anything different. The reviews have said as much. Same old half-baked autopilot stuff. Should have quit after TFF it pains me to say (though I’m glad we got EOTC but even that song was 5 minutes too long).

Seems like a harsh statement but I can kind of see where you are coming from, even though I liked TBOS.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6088 on: August 24, 2021, 11:18:37 PM »
I've been listening to an album a day in the run-up to Senjutsu's release. What's struck me the most - aside from the stylistic change between Killers and The Number of the Beast - is how fast (in terms of tempo) some of their songs used to be. I'm not someone who believes they should try to remake those earlier albums but it'd be lovely to hear something genuinely up tempo from them. I think that's probably what I miss most.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6089 on: August 24, 2021, 11:48:10 PM »

Don't worry, this should probably be their last album. They won't bother you anymore after that.

:)