Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573536 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #6020 on: August 19, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »
Cool song! now the difficult part, forget about it until September 3rd.

Well, I'm going on vacation, so I will be busy  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6021 on: August 19, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »
Still no solo from Dave? Sounded like like it was all Janick, but then again I easily mistake stuff.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6022 on: August 19, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »
Pretty cool.

It could be a single kick but it almost sounds like he is playing with a double kick pedal.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6023 on: August 19, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »
The initial riff sounds a lot like the chorus of Powerslave.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6024 on: August 19, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »
It sounds like something off the back end of Dance Of Death.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6025 on: August 19, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
Still no solo from Dave? Sounded like like it was all Janick, but then again I easily mistake stuff.

That mess of notes would never come from Dave. It's textbook JAnnick.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6026 on: August 19, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »

The first solo of Writing on the Wall is by Dave.

Stratego is a cool song. But WOTW is way better IMO.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #6027 on: August 19, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
For those cares, here's an interview with Bruce from Loudwire.  Video and written highlights.

https://loudwire.com/bruce-dickinson-iron-maiden-senjutsu-interview/

This was a very fun answer.

It’s so different than the things Maiden have done in the past. Now, if you had a time machine, where — or when — would you travel to first?

I’d go back to the resurrection [of Jesus Christ]. I’d actually want to be standing outside the tomb going, “Okay, it’s been three days — it’s a pretty rotten way to spend Easter. It's about time — alright, c’mon, let’s have a look at you then.” Let’s see if that was all just symbolism and bullshit.

I think there’s some seminal events like that…

Adam and Eve would’ve been a good moment. You could’ve really screwed with history there if you’d have just hit Adam over the head and said, “Actually, Adam, sorry mate, it’s Bruce. It’s going to be Bruce and Eve. We’re going to have to change things around.”

Obviously, we shoehorned Adam and Eve into the video at the end because we needed a positive ending! We’ve got this cataclysmic ending which is a kind of nod toward the movie Dr. Strangelove [directed by] Stanley Kubrick. At the end of it all, they’ve got this song [that was popular during World War II] and it was kind of an homage to that.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6028 on: August 19, 2021, 12:25:55 PM »
Sounds like "comfortable" Maiden...unfortunately also in that it lacks a bit of energy (which is more noticeable in a song like this, as I guess it's supposed to be a punchier number)

My first impression is OK, not great. Not a huge fan of the guitar fully replicating the vocal melody in the verse. Chorus is pretty good. Also (and I've said it before), I'd like to hear Bruce sing more in the range he uses for the verse.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6029 on: August 19, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »

Thanks! I had thought it was all Adrian, but then I only listened to WOTW once and it didn't grab me enough to want to check it out again, at least until I could hear it in the context of the whole record.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #6030 on: August 19, 2021, 12:34:12 PM »

That mess of notes would never come from Dave. It's textbook JAnnick.

:rollin  That's what I sort of figured. But then I'm a fan of Jannick's "mess of notes" approach.

[edit: to be fair IMO Dave's constant use of trilling notes is about as "messy" as it gets when it comes to guitar soloing. He still sounds great and I love what he does] 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6031 on: August 19, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »

Thanks! I had thought it was all Adrian, but then I only listened to WOTW once and it didn't grab me enough to want to check it out again, at least until I could hear it in the context of the whole record.

:tup

It's not a standard Dave Murray solo, full of legato. It looks like Adrian Smith's anyway.  :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6032 on: August 19, 2021, 01:49:43 PM »
The verses sound similar to the chorus of Megadeth's Angry Again. Not a bad song though. Modern Maiden doesn't really do it for me though, sadly.

The chorus melody and rhythm reminds me of the chorus to Nemo by Nightwish.  :lol

Based on my first listen, it's a good song. It's Maiden, and the band is great on it as well.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6033 on: August 19, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
I'm really liking "Stratego"! :tup

Out of the Reunion era, Single/short songs, I'm liking this more than Speed of Light, El Dorado and Wildest Dreams already! About on par with Different World and Rainmaker but Wicker Man is obviously better.

Still, really liking it! Chorus is great!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6034 on: August 19, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »

I only listed to WOTW once and thought both were Adrian but I had a listen back just now and Dedalus is correct, first one is Dave.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6035 on: August 19, 2021, 02:24:11 PM »

It's not a standard Dave Murray solo, full of legato. It looks like Adrian Smith's anyway.  :)

The last lick of the solo is textbook Dave but yeah a bit tame for his usual thing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6036 on: August 19, 2021, 02:36:07 PM »
Good song with very good melodies, but as far as the shortest singles from 2000 on, I think Wicker Man, Final Frontier, El Dorado and Speed of Light are easily better, more punchier and captivating.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6037 on: August 19, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
Pretty cool.

It could be a single kick but it almost sounds like he is playing with a double kick pedal.
I was about to say that's single kick using two upstrokes but it actually sounds like he's playing 3 strokes (1 eightnote and two 16th in repeat) which is hard to play not using a double pedal. I know he's used double pedals atleast one time in the past.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6038 on: August 19, 2021, 02:47:36 PM »

The last lick of the solo is textbook Dave but yeah a bit tame for his usual thing.

You're right!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6039 on: August 19, 2021, 02:50:18 PM »
Good song with very good melodies, but as far as the shortest singles from 2000 on, I think Wicker Man, Final Frontier, El Dorado and Speed of Light are easily better, more punchier and captivating.

I agree with The Wicker Man.
I don't know about The Final Frontier
But I disagree on the others. I'm not a big fan of El Dorado and Speed of Light.
 :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6040 on: August 19, 2021, 03:34:26 PM »
That’s Ok, only me and Bosk really like El Dorado ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6041 on: August 19, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »

Don't get me started on El Dorado.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6042 on: August 19, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »

Don't get me started on Bosk. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6043 on: August 19, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »

:lol

Offline 425

« Reply #6044 on: August 19, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »

I like both Bosk and El Dorado.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6045 on: August 19, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6046 on: August 19, 2021, 06:32:37 PM »
Looking forward to checking this tune out.  Good to hear it's somewhat more in the traditional Maiden style.

I'm holding off til tonight to listen though after work.  Not in the right headspace to absorb this this morning.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6048 on: August 19, 2021, 06:35:14 PM »
I feel like Janick's guitar line behind the verse is a little too soft. Hopefully on the album it's a bit more stated.

It's a cool track for sure though.

Offline 425

« Reply #6049 on: August 19, 2021, 10:02:05 PM »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6050 on: August 19, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
Speaking of NPftD, I didn't get in to Maiden till after DoD, so I had to backtrack on most of their albums. I held off on this one the longest due to all the bad things I'd heard about it, but eventually I bought it for competitionist sake. I can't honestly say I've ever listened to it more than a couple times. I certainly couldn't name all the songs on it.

And I know I am in the minority here, but I never listen to a song and know, or even wonder, who is playing which solo.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 425

« Reply #6051 on: August 19, 2021, 10:58:00 PM »
I know who plays some of my favorite solos, and I'm familiar enough with their style to make an educated guess and who plays a solo if I really concentrate, but I don't know off the top of my head who plays most of the solos in their catalog.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6052 on: August 19, 2021, 11:47:44 PM »
I know who plays some of my favorite solos, and I'm familiar enough with their style to make an educated guess and who plays a solo if I really concentrate, but I don't know off the top of my head who plays most of the solos in their catalog.

I love this sort of stuff.  Would anyone want a rundown for every album?  I think I'm pretty clued up although the debut would need a relisten.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6053 on: August 20, 2021, 12:09:44 AM »

I love this sort of stuff.  Would anyone want a rundown for every album?  I think I'm pretty clued up although the debut would need a relisten.

Yeah, I'm in.  :tup I think I know who is who when I listen but there might be some fun surprises.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6054 on: August 20, 2021, 12:27:07 AM »
Cool, anything to keep building the hype for the new album.  Probably Sunday night I'll do this when I have a couple of hours to myself in front of the PC.