Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572406 times)

Offline porcacultor

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5950 on: August 12, 2021, 05:33:36 PM »
I think the issue I have with the soft intros are specifically to do with the ones that don't feel connected to the rest of the song (Benjamin Breeg, Lord Of Light, The Talisman, The Man Who Would Be King). I like dynamics & all, but when an acoustic/soft section lasts for like a minute & then abruptly ends & gets forgotten about, I can't help but feel like it's a bit of a waste. TBOS did a good job at making the dynamics feel continuous though, so I'm hoping Senjutsu follows up with that too.

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with the regarding The Man Who Would Be King – in fact, I think that song could've started with the coda, which is much more interesting to me. I feel like some of Dave Murray's tracks don't really recover their intros in the end (even great songs like The Prophecy finish someplace different, whereas Harris' songs tend to have a more circular quality to them, I think).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5951 on: August 12, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »
The Talisman's intro perfectly sets up the song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5952 on: August 12, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »
The Talisman's intro perfectly sets up the song.

Indeed.

I never really had a problem with the intros.  I understand where people are coming from, but I've always enjoyed them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5953 on: August 12, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »
I think the issue I have with the soft intros are specifically to do with the ones that don't feel connected to the rest of the song (Benjamin Breeg, Lord Of Light, The Talisman, The Man Who Would Be King). I like dynamics & all, but when an acoustic/soft section lasts for like a minute & then abruptly ends & gets forgotten about, I can't help but feel like it's a bit of a waste. TBOS did a good job at making the dynamics feel continuous though, so I'm hoping Senjutsu follows up with that too.

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with the regarding The Man Who Would Be King – in fact, I think that song could've started with the coda, which is much more interesting to me. I feel like some of Dave Murray's tracks don't really recover their intros in the end (even great songs like The Prophecy finish someplace different, whereas Harris' songs tend to have a more circular quality to them, I think).

Dave's songwriting is different and unique.  I think his tracks add nice variety to their represented albums.  He's also not afraid to break out of the E minor mould also giving his tracks a different colour throughout the albums.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5954 on: August 13, 2021, 02:24:03 AM »
The Talisman is perfect, the intro included. Fact. No arguments, please.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5955 on: August 13, 2021, 09:00:24 AM »
The Talisman is perfect, the intro included. Fact. No arguments, please.  ;D

My favorite off TFF, no argument from me

Offline 425

« Reply #5956 on: August 13, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »

I'm fully with the others who say The Talisman's intro is perfect. In fact, I would put it as the best quiet intro of any Iron Maiden song. The Talisman tells a story and that acoustic intro is a vital part of the story, which elevates the later parts.

I also think The Man Who Would Be King and Lord of Light have beautiful intros, so I certainly would not want to give those up for some notion of slightly better cohesion. Benjamin Breeg is the only one of these that feels a bit extra, but I've never minded its existence, and wouldn't want to see it cut.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5957 on: August 13, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Bruce got covid

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-after-being-fully-vaccinated/

Bruce said he took a lateral-flow COVID test after he started feeling like he was getting a cold, and it came back positive. "I thought, 'Oh well, shit,'" he said. "I was kind of sneezing a bit. For a couple of days, I felt a bit groggy, kind of like the flu, and that was it. And I'm 63 years old. I've pretty much got no doubt that had I not had the vaccine, I could be in serious trouble."

Dickinson went on to say that he doesn't personally believe that fans attending concerts should be required to get vaccinated, calling it "a personal choice," However, he said that he hopes everyone will get the shot. "Personally, I think people are just very badly advised if they don't go and get themselves double jabbed as quickly as possible, not for the reasons of going into concerts, but for their own health," he said. "Having said that, even if you've had a double jab, you can still get COVID, and therefore you can spread it to other people who might not have been vaccinated and they might get very sick and die. Now you cannot legislate against mortality. There are many things in this world that kill people and they’re not illegal but are unfortunate. Cancer kills a lot of people. Heart attacks kill a lot of people. Obesity kills a lot of people. Malaria kills a shitload of people every year… So at some point, we have to just go, 'We're probably going to have to live with this. And if we're going to live with it, then you have your vaccination.'"

Offline 425

« Reply #5958 on: August 13, 2021, 10:14:19 AM »
Another short video from the studio. This one is with Adrian.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online faizoff

« Reply #5959 on: August 13, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »
Bruce got covid

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-after-being-fully-vaccinated/

Bruce said he took a lateral-flow COVID test after he started feeling like he was getting a cold, and it came back positive. "I thought, 'Oh well, shit,'" he said. "I was kind of sneezing a bit. For a couple of days, I felt a bit groggy, kind of like the flu, and that was it. And I'm 63 years old. I've pretty much got no doubt that had I not had the vaccine, I could be in serious trouble."

Dickinson went on to say that he doesn't personally believe that fans attending concerts should be required to get vaccinated, calling it "a personal choice," However, he said that he hopes everyone will get the shot. "Personally, I think people are just very badly advised if they don't go and get themselves double jabbed as quickly as possible, not for the reasons of going into concerts, but for their own health," he said. "Having said that, even if you've had a double jab, you can still get COVID, and therefore you can spread it to other people who might not have been vaccinated and they might get very sick and die. Now you cannot legislate against mortality. There are many things in this world that kill people and they’re not illegal but are unfortunate. Cancer kills a lot of people. Heart attacks kill a lot of people. Obesity kills a lot of people. Malaria kills a shitload of people every year… So at some point, we have to just go, 'We're probably going to have to live with this. And if we're going to live with it, then you have your vaccination.'"

Dang, hope he pulls through just fine.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5960 on: August 13, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
The fact he says "that was it" makes me think he's either recovered or he's doing fine.  I'm not too worried based on what I read.  I'm glad he got vaxxed though, if he didn't, who knows the potential damage that could have been done.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5961 on: August 13, 2021, 10:42:22 AM »
No pun intended, the guy is a beast.  Cancer, COVID, a 15-foot Eddie, the guy just keeps coming out on top.

Offline 425

« Reply #5962 on: August 13, 2021, 10:46:54 AM »
Glad Bruce is okay. His take on the vaccine was very well-stated. I sort of hold my breath anytime a musician starts talking about anything like that these days.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5963 on: August 13, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
Glad Bruce is okay. His take on the vaccine was very well-stated. I sort of hold my breath anytime a musician starts talking about anything like that these days.

Yeah, as much as I love to troll on people believing the stupidiest things on the web, I must say he told what he told very brilliantly managing to be both sincere and diplomatic at the same time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5964 on: August 13, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »
I applaud his perspective and how he worded it.

Unfortunate he got it, also glad to know he didn't it too bad either. Not enough to be hospitalized, now that would have been worrying.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5966 on: August 13, 2021, 10:42:59 PM »
Bruce got covid

Love this man.  Hope he recovers well.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5967 on: August 14, 2021, 06:40:01 AM »
https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/iron-maidens-new-album-senjutsu-facts-and-oddities/
Very cool curiosities, Rodrigo!
About the 13, although not 100% sure, I believe that Wildest Dreams from Dance of Death was played live before the release of the album, in a short greatest hits tour.

Edit: yes, it was: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/2003/coliseum-corunna-spain-3bd39ca8.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 06:45:25 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5968 on: August 15, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
Here's a cool review from my buddy Tim from Bravewords: https://bravewords.com/reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu

Note that he says something along the lines of "the problem of this song is that it just keeps going, and should be 3 minutes shorter" more than once...expect to be unimpressed with a few passages.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5969 on: August 15, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
Here's a cool review from my buddy Tim from Bravewords: https://bravewords.com/reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu

Note that he says something along the lines of "the problem of this song is that it just keeps going, and should be 3 minutes shorter" more than once...expect to be unimpressed with a few passages.

Huh..

That review has been up for a few days now, and I've held off against reading it. The reason is that I just expected a rubber stamped 10 on it.

A 7? Wow.. Bravewords is nobody's bitch!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5970 on: August 15, 2021, 10:18:46 AM »

Well, I think that he only says that about 2 songs and this is what I normally feel about every album from the reunion era. Nowadays I'm cool with that and this doesn't take away my overall joy in listening to the new albums.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5971 on: August 15, 2021, 11:09:08 AM »
Ironically those little cuts suggested by the reviewer were all that it took to not go for a double album again  :D

Sounds an honest and after all promising review, after all. I mean, all the songs seem to have something interesting, a couple maybe are a bit too long - didn't we already knew it in the last 20 years?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5972 on: August 16, 2021, 04:20:35 AM »
I usually like long winded atmospheric reunion era Maiden.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5973 on: August 16, 2021, 06:20:13 AM »

Me too. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5974 on: August 16, 2021, 06:44:13 PM »

Me too.
Me too. I don’t mind that the album is polarizing, probably a good sign that this will be unique.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5975 on: August 16, 2021, 09:25:57 PM »
I'm down for them too.

Really itching to hear another song too.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5976 on: August 17, 2021, 01:32:22 AM »
How would you rate their ballad "Wasting Love"?

I'd rate it 8/10.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5977 on: August 17, 2021, 05:31:50 AM »

I'd rate it 8/10.

Appreciate Maiden doing something different and especially a cheesy love song. Good song but not one of their bests.  Janick thrives with these sorts of solo sections.

6.9/10.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5978 on: August 17, 2021, 06:11:04 AM »
7/10 seems about right, maybe even slightly generous. It is not bad by any means, but not what I think Maiden does best. The song was stylistically worth the shot, even though they were five years late.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5979 on: August 17, 2021, 08:46:37 AM »

I'd rate it 8/10.

4/10

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5980 on: August 17, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
It’s a decent enough song. I’ve never had a problem with it and I like that they wrote something like that, which was quite different for them.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5981 on: August 17, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »
 I'm listening to the whole Maiden catalogue in sequence in anticipation for the new album. While going through The Number of the beast today I remember telling a friend about The Prisoner and saying that "this is a longer song, with lots of ideas and moods in it, and it's really cool". At 06min03s, nowadays this would be considered a shorter song in their catalogue.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5982 on: August 18, 2021, 02:44:55 PM »
I'm listening to the whole Maiden catalogue in sequence in anticipation for the new album. While going through The Number of the beast today I remember telling a friend about The Prisoner and saying that "this is a longer song, with lots of ideas and moods in it, and it's really cool". At 06min03s, nowadays this would be considered a shorter song in their catalogue.

Me too.

Listening to the two albums from the 90s with Bruce (and generally less commented) I decided to make a top 10 of my favorite songs (from both albums):

01 Fear of the Dark
02 Wasting Love
03 Tailgunner
04 No Prayer for the Dying
05 Be Quick or Be Dead
06 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
07 Mother Russia
08 Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
09 Holy Smoke
10 Fear is the Key

If someone else does too, it would be interesting to see.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5983 on: August 18, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »

Me too.

Listening to the two albums from the 90s with Bruce (and generally less commented) I decided to make a top 10 of my favorite songs (from both albums):

01 Fear of the Dark
02 Wasting Love
03 Tailgunner
04 No Prayer for the Dying
05 Be Quick or Be Dead
06 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
07 Mother Russia
08 Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
09 Holy Smoke
10 Fear is the Key

If someone else does too, it would be interesting to see.

I wouldn't necessarily pick the same ones, but if you take the best ten songs from both albums, they would be a pretty solid effort. "Fear of the Dying" would kick ass!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5984 on: August 18, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »
I've posted mine a couple of times in this thread. I'll have to find it..or make another one.