Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573283 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5880 on: August 03, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »
So on our trip to Arizona last week, we visited my wife's cousin who moved out there last year. He's a big music fan, but I wasn't aware that he had this, or must've forgot about it until I saw it hanging in his house.

It's a Dave Murray signature series Strat.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5881 on: August 03, 2021, 03:23:00 PM »
Very cool. Beautiful guitar!  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5882 on: August 03, 2021, 03:25:57 PM »
Do you have to make funny faces while soloing on that?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5883 on: August 03, 2021, 03:29:16 PM »
My wife has a nickname for Dave Murray, she calls him either puffy face or puffy pants.

It stems from when we saw them in Phoenix in '98 with Blaze. It was a really small place and we were on Dave's side. She's like, his pants are too tight. Why doesn't he just go up a size?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5884 on: August 03, 2021, 03:46:33 PM »
That guitar!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5885 on: August 03, 2021, 04:10:27 PM »
Nice. I've got one too. Great guitar. Really playable, great sound. It's my only floating bridge guitar. I've blocked the trem so it doesn't go anywhere now. I like the fine tuners on the Floyd, mind.

There was a black Dave sig strat a few years before this one, but I think it was too expensive for me at the time.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5886 on: August 03, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »
Nice. I've got one too. Great guitar. Really playable, great sound. It's my only floating bridge guitar. I've blocked the trem so it doesn't go anywhere now. I like the fine tuners on the Floyd, mind.

There was a black Dave sig strat a few years before this one, but I think it was too expensive for me at the time.

Can I ask why?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5887 on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:17 AM »
Sure, man. I wanted to get into the whammy thing as it has eluded me since I was young but I found I couldn't quite get it set up right so it returned to pitch quite right and I prefer how unison bends react on a fixed bridge. But mainly the first one.

Any tips? I have a lot more guitars than I did when I blocked it so could feasibly unblock it.  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5888 on: August 04, 2021, 05:34:44 AM »
Sure, man. I wanted to get into the whammy thing as it has eluded me since I was young but I found I couldn't quite get it set up right so it returned to pitch quite right and I prefer how unison bends react on a fixed bridge. But mainly the first one.

Any tips? I have a lot more guitars than I did when I blocked it so could feasibly unblock it.  :)

They are tricky to get your head around and very fiddly.

It's funny you mention that as I have a couple of my old guitars that come back in slightly out of tune when using the tremelo.  I have about 7 guitars so I just move onto another one but I've never tried to sit down and fix it.  I think the main issue though is around the 'knife edges' and it sticks and lubricating but I think there's a few different reasons. 

Never noticed the unison bends but you are probably right because as you bend one string the others will go slightly out.  I've used them since I started playing so know my way around them.  When you get the hang and know how to use them, they are a fantastic tool to add in to your soloing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5889 on: August 04, 2021, 07:44:13 AM »
Yeah. I'd love to get my hands around it so it's instinctive. I love the sounds that folks get with them.

I've wondered if my springs just aren't screwed in enough. With this model, you can only go back so it's level - it's meant to sit back flat but mine has never been that way. I think i was reluctant to screw it in harder. I use Ernie Ball hybrids in standard tuning. You've inspired me to unblock it and give setting it up right it another shot. Ta.  :)

Online Lupton

« Reply #5890 on: August 04, 2021, 11:00:19 AM »
I've heard if you replace those woodscrews with bigger, thicker screws that floating tremelo will stay in tune. I think this was something Scott Henderson mentioned having customized in all his strats. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5891 on: August 04, 2021, 02:51:23 PM »
I've heard if you replace those woodscrews with bigger, thicker screws that floating tremelo will stay in tune. I think this was something Scott Henderson mentioned having customized in all his strats.

Interesting.  I haven't got any strats with a floating trem so not sure if there is any difference there.

Yeah. I'd love to get my hands around it so it's instinctive. I love the sounds that folks get with them.

I've wondered if my springs just aren't screwed in enough. With this model, you can only go back so it's level - it's meant to sit back flat but mine has never been that way. I think i was reluctant to screw it in harder. I use Ernie Ball hybrids in standard tuning. You've inspired me to unblock it and give setting it up right it another shot. Ta.  :)

Usually the screws in the back adjusts tension more so you can alter tunings but it needs to be sitting level.  They are very tricky as I said.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5892 on: August 04, 2021, 03:05:15 PM »
Thanks, guys. I took out the block earlier but need to get the actual bar down from the gig bag pocket in the loft to test.

I'll let you know how it goes. Probably in the other sub so all Maiden fans aren't subjected to my guitar set-up saga.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5893 on: August 04, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »
Hoping this album will have some actual riffs, not just a bunch of lame single-note “melodies” during the verses and choruses.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5894 on: August 04, 2021, 08:20:12 PM »
Less than a month before this is out.  Hoping we get another song soon.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #5895 on: August 05, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
If I had to bet, I think Stratego is the next single and that it'll come out within two weeks. Then we get the new album in four weeks!

I have to say, the perspective of 40 or so minutes penned solely by Steve got me REALLY excited. His solo penned songs have consistently been my favorite in each album since Brave New World (or at least been very serious contenders to the title), so I honestly cannot wait for what he came up with. It felt like he sort of stepped back in Book of Souls because of personal issues, so I was almost ready for him to be even less present this time around -- so glad to be wrong  ;D

Plus, there's usually a chance that each of the three guitarists get a solo during his songs, which I always get a kick out of.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5896 on: August 05, 2021, 10:36:07 PM »
If I had to bet, I think Stratego is the next single and that it'll come out within two weeks. Then we get the new album in four weeks!

I have to say, the perspective of 40 or so minutes penned solely by Steve got me REALLY excited. His solo penned songs have consistently been my favorite in each album since Brave New World (or at least been very serious contenders to the title), so I honestly cannot wait for what he came up with. It felt like he sort of stepped back in Book of Souls because of personal issues, so I was almost ready for him to be even less present this time around -- so glad to be wrong  ;D

Plus, there's usually a chance that each of the three guitarists get a solo during his songs, which I always get a kick out of.

I agree.  We may be the minority but feel the same way.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5897 on: August 05, 2021, 10:52:06 PM »

I agree.  We may be the minority but feel the same way.

We are three.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5898 on: August 07, 2021, 09:10:29 PM »
A question that, for some reason, I never thought about before today:

Who did the spoken word segment in Rime of the Ancient Mariner?  I think if I had ever given it any thought, I'd have assumed it was Martin Birch, but I've seen some folks say it was Bruce, which it really doesn't sound like.

Anyone know?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5899 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:36 PM »
Someone rename the thread title!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5900 on: August 07, 2021, 11:18:04 PM »
In one of his spoken word shows, Bruce confirmed that two songs from the new album will be played in the upcoming dates of the Legacy of the Beast tour.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5901 on: August 08, 2021, 02:16:42 AM »
In one of his spoken word shows, Bruce confirmed that two songs from the new album will be played in the upcoming dates of the Legacy of the Beast tour.

Which songs will get the boot?

My guesses:

For the Greater Good of God out, The Writing on the Wall in. Religion-ish theme of the lyrics.

Stratego, the likely other single (there have been photos around of a label saying "it includes Writing on the Wall and Stratego", as you do with singles), which will likely take the place of a war song.

The problem is that the war songs are at the beginning and the set is tight - Aces High, Where Eagles Dare and 23:58 played in a row, then The Clansman, and The Trooper. Maybe they will stop after the first two songs and introduce the single.

Or maybe they sack The Evil that Men Do as first encore and use the occasion of coming back again on stage to remind that there will be a new album tour, play Stratego, and then round it up with Hallowed and Hills.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5902 on: August 08, 2021, 03:31:52 AM »

My guesses:

For the Greater Good of God out, The Writing on the Wall in. Religion-ish theme of the lyrics.

Stratego, the likely other single (there have been photos around of a label saying "it includes Writing on the Wall and Stratego", as you do with singles), which will likely take the place of a war song.

The problem is that the war songs are at the beginning and the set is tight - Aces High, Where Eagles Dare and 23:58 played in a row, then The Clansman, and The Trooper. Maybe they will stop after the first two songs and introduce the single.

Or maybe they sack The Evil that Men Do as first encore and use the occasion of coming back again on stage to remind that there will be a new album tour, play Stratego, and then round it up with Hallowed and Hills.

What a horrible swap that would be.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5903 on: August 09, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
I wouldn't assume anything about what gets dropped; the show I saw was about an hour and 50 minutes.  There might be two swaps, one swap, or no swaps.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5904 on: August 09, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
This is the set:

Aces High
Where Eagles Dare
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clansman
The Trooper

Revelations
For the Greater Good of God
The Wicker Man
Sign of the Cross
Flight of Icarus
Fear of the Dark
The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden

================
The Evil That Men Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run to the Hills

I've bolded the ones that I assume would never get dropped. Not much room to let two new songs in....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5905 on: August 09, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »

My guesses:

What a horrible swap that would be.

As much as it pains me, I can totally see that being a swap.  FTGGOG didn't seem to get much of a crowd reaction from the 3 shows I went to.  I absolutely love it and hope for those who see the tour, that it doesn't get dropped.... but I'd probably guess that is one of them.  As for the other, I can see Where Eagles Dare/The Evil That Men Do/2 Minutes to Midnight being the potential swaps.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5906 on: August 09, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
I wouldn't assume anything about what gets dropped; the show I saw was about an hour and 50 minutes.  There might be two swaps, one swap, or no swaps.

If they’re adding two, then they are dropping two.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5907 on: August 09, 2021, 02:03:18 PM »

This is the set:

Aces High
Where Eagles Dare
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clansman
The Trooper

Revelations
For the Greater Good of God
The Wicker Man
Sign of the Cross
Flight of Icarus
Fear of the Dark
The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden

================
The Evil That Men Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run to the Hills

I've bolded the ones that I assume would never get dropped. Not much room to let two new songs in....

I never really thought about it before, but looking at those first 5 tracks I'm realizing that they could do an entire setlist of nothing but songs about wars.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #5908 on: August 09, 2021, 04:00:43 PM »
It's pretty much out of the question, but I'd love for them to shake things up a bit in the second Legacy leg. Maybe let those two new songs in and swap out 2 minutes for Montsegur, Wicker Man for No Prayer for the Dying... I know, it's a crazy idea, but it'd still be their "legacy" in literal terms  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5909 on: August 09, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
It's pretty much out of the question, but I'd love for them to shake things up a bit in the second Legacy leg. Maybe let those two new songs in and swap out 2 minutes for Montsegur, Wicker Man for No Prayer for the Dying... I know, it's a crazy idea, but it'd still be their "legacy" in literal terms  :lol

Oh yeah, I could see that happening. :lol

I don't know how to say this but there is NO Santa Claus, either

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5910 on: August 09, 2021, 05:36:29 PM »
Montsegur and No Prayer would slay live!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5911 on: August 09, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »
Itching for another song from the album too.

Offline 425

« Reply #5912 on: August 10, 2021, 09:13:06 AM »
The band just put out a little teaser video featuring Steve, Bruce and Kevin Shirley talking about the album (no new music).

Bruce says pretty seriously and in a non-PR-y way that he thinks this album is better than TBoS: more complex and more varied. He repeats the claim that there are a couple of songs that he thinks will genuinely surprise people. Shirley acknowledges that everyone will always say the new record is best, but also says he thinks this is possibly the best album the band has done with him. Also says it's the hardest record he's ever made. Steve kinda says a whole lot of nothing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5913 on: August 10, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »
If I remember correctly, Bruce was very proud of The Book of Souls in a manner he was not of The Final Frontier. Maybe it was just the health scare combined with having created Empire of the Clouds, dunno. If he thinks this album is better than the one he would have been happy to be his swan song, color me excited!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #5914 on: August 10, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
Good point. I also find it notable that Bruce is the one saying that given that he actually wrote a substantial portion of TBoS on his own (between If Eternity Should Fail and Empire of the Clouds) while he just has three short-to-mid-length songs cowritten with Adrian on the new one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time