Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573528 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5670 on: July 19, 2021, 10:30:21 AM »
I just gotta hope that there's no song like Blood Brothers on it.

Indeed. Not a good song.

As for the track lengths, more DT than DT.

I was never a fan of Blood Brothers until I saw it as the closer on the Book Of Souls tour.   It might have been the moment - last show of the tour, Brooklyn - but it brought the house down.  So good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5671 on: July 19, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
The music video had that Japanese theme in it, so it's not completely out of no where, but all that hype and Belshazzars Feast... and none of that is relevant or am I missing something? The hints and nuggets seem to be somewhat confusing up to this press release. 

Anyway, the track titles seem interesting but wow those song lengths.... I hope this isn't a huge let down the way TFF was for me (with lots of Harris songs and the back end with all the longer ones).  Also the mentions of a couple songs being of a different style.  I'm wondering if that includes TWOTW?

Art work is not very interesting IMO.

I'm slightly concerned by this announcement, and the way it's been announced especially since this has been planned for so long now.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I'm skeptical as to how good it will be.

I know Maiden is huge for you, and you and I usually see eye-to-eye on all things Maiden, but I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one.  TFF has really grown on me a LOT (it may be my favorite reunion album) and while the single didn't scorch my undies, I liked it, and I LOVE the artwork here.  I'm not a big concert shirt guy anymore, but I usually get one from the Maiden shows I see, and I will most certainly be getting one from this tour.   No question.   I'm even debating more than one show on this tour, seeing as we're probably winding down with the long world tours for them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5672 on: July 19, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
The music video had that Japanese theme in it, so it's not completely out of no where, but all that hype and Belshazzars Feast... and none of that is relevant or am I missing something? The hints and nuggets seem to be somewhat confusing up to this press release. 

Anyway, the track titles seem interesting but wow those song lengths.... I hope this isn't a huge let down the way TFF was for me (with lots of Harris songs and the back end with all the longer ones).  Also the mentions of a couple songs being of a different style.  I'm wondering if that includes TWOTW?

I'm slightly concerned by this announcement, and the way it's been announced especially since this has been planned for so long now.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I'm skeptical as to how good it will be.

I know Maiden is huge for you, and you and I usually see eye-to-eye on all things Maiden, but I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one.  TFF has really grown on me a LOT (it may be my favorite reunion album) and while the single didn't scorch my undies, I liked it, and I LOVE the artwork here.  I'm not a big concert shirt guy anymore, but I usually get one from the Maiden shows I see, and I will most certainly be getting one from this tour.   No question.   I'm even debating more than one show on this tour, seeing as we're probably winding down with the long world tours for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for the new album and TWOTW has already really warmed up with me after the initial "ok this is different' feeling.  I'm just being cautiously optimistic here.  TFF still has not warmed up for me besides a few tracks.  It's easily my least listened to reunion era album.  As for a future tour, I'm wiht you on that.  I want to see them as many times as I can as we all know, TWOTW...  this is one reason why I even went to that Hartford show.  Besides the show being really good, who knows how many more opportunities there will be?  My friend who you met at the bar before the Brooklyn show and I are already talking about doing whatever necessary to be at their final show (I'm assuming to be in England).

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #5673 on: July 19, 2021, 11:20:28 AM »
I was hoping the album title would be "Belshazzar's Feast".  They could have made an epic title track about the Medes/Persians overthrowing ancient Babylon. The artwork could be insane too.
I'm excited for the new album! I'm not bothered whatsoever about the long tracks. Perhaps Maiden is inspired by DT..  Bring it on!  🤘
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5674 on: July 19, 2021, 11:46:31 AM »
Lol that was a surprise, not the kind of title or story I had in mind but this sounds much better actually. I love the title and artwork!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5676 on: July 19, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »
"There’s also one or two songs which sound pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be surprised - in a good way, I hope!"

Any wild guessed at which ones those songs could be? I bet on Time Machine and Darkest Hour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5677 on: July 19, 2021, 11:54:26 AM »
"There’s also one or two songs which sound pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be surprised - in a good way, I hope!"

Any wild guessed at which ones those songs could be? I bet on Time Machine and Darkest Hour.

I'm hoping he's not considering TWOTW to be one of them. It's different from their usual output, and I think it sounds great. If we have two more tracks that are diverse, that would be awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5678 on: July 19, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »
Anyone that knows what the two japanese letters means?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Architeuthis

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:25:25 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5680 on: July 19, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »

I'll give you one guess...

But yes it says "Senjutsu" which just means the art of war.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5681 on: July 19, 2021, 12:25:01 PM »

So you have Senjutsu to the left and then the same to the right but in japanese?

That was a bit...anticlimactic  :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5682 on: July 19, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »

Right.

Kanji: 戦術
Romaji: senjutsu

https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/jpvocab2017-n1s.jpg

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5683 on: July 19, 2021, 12:29:12 PM »

So you have Senjutsu to the left and then the same to the right but in japanese?

Both are in Japanese, the one on the left has only been transliterated into the Latin alphabet.

It's even more anticlimactic.   :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #5684 on: July 19, 2021, 12:53:02 PM »

I'm hoping he's not considering TWOTW to be one of them. It's different from their usual output, and I think it sounds great. If we have two more tracks that are diverse, that would be awesome.

In general Maiden tends to be pretty safe with first singles, so I think we're probably safe here. The fact that this single caught people by surprise actually indicates to me that this might be a pretty surprising album. Just think about it in comparison to the last few initial singles: Speed of Light, the most by-the-book 21st century Maiden rocker; El Dorado, a mid-length with a prominently featured galloping bassline; The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, a mid-tempo rocker with a slow intro; Wildest Dreams, The Wicker Man Part 2.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5685 on: July 19, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »
Kind of cool album cover, but I think it could have benefited from other stuff going on in the background. Samurai Eddie is something they haven't done.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5686 on: July 19, 2021, 01:02:42 PM »
Kind of cool album cover, but I think it could have benefited from other stuff going on in the background. Samurai Eddie is something they haven't done.

Eddie did cultural appropriation before the term was even invented!!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5687 on: July 19, 2021, 01:24:53 PM »

If they made another record that sounds like The Final Frontier I'd be a happy camper for sure.  It's my second favorite of the reunion albums (AMOLAD is my favorite reunion album).  And I tend to like Harris's songs the most so  :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #5688 on: July 19, 2021, 01:33:31 PM »
I'd be over the moon if they made another album like TFF, my favorite Maiden album.

It's easy to make fun of Steve's songwriting style, especially his penchant for, well, "no more lies no more lies no more lies no more lies no more lies no more lies no more lies no more lies." But yeah, he wrote For the Greater Good of God, and even with the repetitive chorus in that one, it's hard to argue with. Plus, on the last few albums, he seems to have gotten away from that tendency. Only did it once on The Final Frontier (the final frontier, the final frontier, the final frontier...), and not at all on TBoS. So here's hoping!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5689 on: July 19, 2021, 01:39:09 PM »
I'm ready to sing:

Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World

Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World

:metal :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5690 on: July 19, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »
The music video had that Japanese theme in it, so it's not completely out of no where, but all that hype and Belshazzars Feast... and none of that is relevant or am I missing something? The hints and nuggets seem to be somewhat confusing up to this press release.  .

They were relevant to the single's marketing. People who assumed it would also have relevance to the album as a whole.

In the countdown after the single's release, references to WOTW or Belshazzar were dropped.

The covers of TFF and TBOS referenced a Japanese theme. That's why I wasn't totally surprised by the album cover and title.

I could completely see this marketing now.

By releasing touched up Album Covers with the Belshazzar Feast poster on them, it's like a call to the Eddy's on the album covers to come to the feast. They do arrive, riding their way in, and demolishing whom I am assuming is Belshazzar.

The video also revealed the new awesome Samurai Eddy. Giving us a hint to the new album.

I am very interested in how they will incorporate Samurai Eddy live.

Holy fuck that came out of nowhere!

Cover art is beautiful, but after a big close up of Eddie on black for The Book of Souls, I expected something different.

Also:

8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

Three +10 minutes Harris songs in a row? gods save us  :D

I'm ready to sing:

Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World

Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World
Lost in a Lost World

:metal :rollin

:rollin

We'll probably be getting three of these in a row with the Harris songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5691 on: July 19, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »

If they made another record that sounds like The Final Frontier I'd be a happy camper for sure.  It's my second favorite of the reunion albums (AMOLAD is my favorite reunion album).  And I tend to like Harris's songs the most so  :metal

I'm willing to concede that AMOLAD is their best Reunion Era album, but TFF is my favorite.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5692 on: July 19, 2021, 02:16:27 PM »
About the cover, amazing one IMO! Even the black in the back isn't monotonous, it has some shade of green in places. Eddie looks truly menacing, which surprisingly I think it's rare in a Maiden cover. And, the Maiden logo looks truly beautiful this time!
I think the Eddie on TBOS really needs a background image, but not this one, because the artwork this time is much much stronger.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5693 on: July 19, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »

Both are in Japanese, the one on the left has only been transliterated into the Latin alphabet.

It's even more anticlimactic.   :lol

... and I hope this isn't a bad sign that there will be a LOT of repetitions in songs lyrics! ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5694 on: July 19, 2021, 02:28:05 PM »
I must say that these are some bad ass song titles.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5695 on: July 19, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
I'm super excited and hopes this bodes well for a US tour in 2022!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5696 on: July 19, 2021, 02:51:24 PM »
I must say that these are some bad ass song titles.

Agreed

I'm super excited and hopes this bodes well for a US tour in 2022!  :metal

Hope so too!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5697 on: July 19, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »
I love the cover, I love the track lengths and I love the fact that the promo cycle lasts for less than two months! Hopefully it'll be the same for DT15.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5698 on: July 19, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
I will PROBABLY get this album in a few weeks. Hoping to get an interview with one of them as well - that would be one of the few interviews that would get me out of my retirement from music writing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5699 on: July 19, 2021, 03:06:53 PM »
I will PROBABLY get this album in a few weeks. Hoping to get an interview with one of them as well - that would be one of the few interviews that would get me out of my retirement from music writing.

:tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5700 on: July 19, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »
That tracklist and song lengths have me excited truthfully.  Some awesome song titles too.  No Dave is a shame but 2 Gers songs is welcome.  I'm actually really excited for all the Harris tracks.  At least means some classic Maiden trademarks and he can write an epic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5701 on: July 19, 2021, 03:09:51 PM »
I love the cover, I love the track lengths and I love the fact that the promo cycle lasts for less than two months! Hopefully it'll be the same for DT15.

Yeah, just under 6 weeks til release, surprising it's so near.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5702 on: July 19, 2021, 03:14:52 PM »
Over the next couple weeks, if anybody sees a good deal on the CD, please post it. I've been working so many hours lately that I have no time to shop around.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5703 on: July 19, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »