Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572812 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5635 on: July 18, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
Iron Maiden has a core sound, and a recognizable style, but what's been great about the Reunion Era is how they've actually pushed their songwriting.

I love what they went for with the new song. It's not immediate, but that's OK.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Lupton

« Reply #5636 on: July 18, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »
Yea for me this sounded pretty much like they've done on all the reunion albums atleast, a kinda of middle paced song.

+1

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5637 on: July 19, 2021, 07:06:48 AM »
We are thrilled to announce the release of Iron Maiden’s 17th studio album ‘Senjutsu’ coming Sept 3rd.
1.  Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20
2.  Stratego (Gers/Harris) 4:59
3.  The Writing On The Wall (Smith/Dickinson) 6:13
4.  Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31
5.  Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03
6.  The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09
7.  Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20
8.  Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
9.  The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
10.  Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19
Senjutsu will be released on the following formats and available to pre-order from all good music retailers starting Wednesday July 21st:
Standard 2CD Digipak
Deluxe 2CD Book Format
Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
Special Edition Triple Silver & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
Special Edition Triple Red & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
Super Deluxe Boxset featuring CD, Blu-Ray and Exclusive Memorabilia
Digital album (streaming and download)
Steve says “We chose to record at Guillaume Tell Studio in France again as the place has such a relaxed vibe. The setup there is perfect for our needs; the building used to be a cinema and has a really high ceiling so there’s a great acoustic sound. We recorded this album in the same way we did The Book Of Souls in that we’d write a song, rehearse it and then put it down together straight away while it was all fresh in our minds. There’s some very complex songs on this album which took a lot of hard work to get them exactly as we wanted them to sound, so the process was at times very challenging, but Kevin is great at capturing the essence of the band and I think it was worth the effort! I’m very proud of the result and can’t wait for fans to hear it.”
Bruce continues, “We’re all really excited about this album. We recorded it back in early 2019 during a break in the Legacy tour so we could maximize our touring yet still have a long set up period before release to prepare great album art and something special as a video. Of course the pandemic delayed things more - so much for the best laid plans – or should that be ‘strategies’!?  The songs are very varied, and some of them are quite long. There’s also one or two songs which sound pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be surprised - in a good way, I hope!“
#IronMaiden #Senjutsu #Album

From Iron Maiden Facebook

Offline 425

« Reply #5638 on: July 19, 2021, 07:11:52 AM »
They got us, making us think WOTW was the album title!

I know it's a very prog fan thing to hype an album based on track lengths, but... uh... wow.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5639 on: July 19, 2021, 07:13:40 AM »
TWOTW had more interesting art than this, at least. This is just as boring as The Book of Souls cover art.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5640 on: July 19, 2021, 07:22:25 AM »
Holy fuck that came out of nowhere!

Cover art is beautiful, but after a big close up of Eddie on black for The Book of Souls, I expected something different.

Also:

8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

Three +10 minutes Harris songs in a row? gods save us  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5641 on: July 19, 2021, 07:22:45 AM »
I wonder what the blu-ray includes.

Offline 425

« Reply #5642 on: July 19, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »
Further observations:

Technically a double album, but by the slimmest margin imaginable at about 81 minutes.

A lot of Steve on this one. None of the reunion albums have had more than one solo Harris song over 7 minutes. This one has four, all of them longer than 9 minutes. Looks like approximately the usual amount of Jan, no Dave, and a little less Adrian and Bruce. I don't see that as necessarily good or bad, but it's worth noting that Steve very much has a usual style in approaching his long pieces on the last few albums (For the Greater Good of God, When the Wild Wind Blows, The Red and the Black). Hopefully he's found a little more variety this time.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5643 on: July 19, 2021, 07:25:04 AM »
Okay I would never have guessed that album title :lol

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5644 on: July 19, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »
Awesome cover!
Awesome title!
Can't wait to hear it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5645 on: July 19, 2021, 07:29:19 AM »
They didn't even mention when the split occcours between the two discs. Last time around they made it clear, probably because the "whoah, double album" factor was justified by the 92 minutes running time and the presence of a 18 minutes song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline 425

« Reply #5646 on: July 19, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
The closest split to the halfway point is between The Time Machine and Darkest Hour, so if I had to guess, that's where I'd say it is.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #5647 on: July 19, 2021, 07:40:09 AM »
Interesting, though I'm skeptical. Was hoping for some shorter, punchier songs this time. I miss that side of the band.

Cover art is cool but was hoping for something with a more detailed background as the black backround was done on book of souls.
Also, was not drawn in on the single unfortuantely.

That aside, will still listen with an open mind!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5648 on: July 19, 2021, 07:44:48 AM »
Excited to hear this, but I hope it's better than "The Book of Souls"! That album is the quintessential "hit or miss"!

Seems to be another album in the more progressive style, like they've done since "A Matter of Life And Death".

Also, nothing from Murray this time? ??? And four songs from Harris that are around 10 minutes? God help us all. :P

I like the cover art and the new Eddie though. :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5649 on: July 19, 2021, 07:47:10 AM »
I like the idea of the cover better than the end result.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5650 on: July 19, 2021, 07:49:16 AM »
Considering Brave New World to The Book of Souls, I'm not especially a fan of most of the shorter, punchier songs they've produced.

So the lenght of the songs won't be a problem for me.

Offline 425

« Reply #5651 on: July 19, 2021, 07:52:46 AM »
Also, nothing from Murray this time? ??? And four songs from Harris that are around 10 minutes? God help us all. :P

It's unusual but not unheard of to have no songs from Dave. The last time it happened was The X Factor (although he wrote one of the b-sides, Justice of the Peace). It also happened on Powerslave, and on Killers and The Number of the Beast if one does not count Twilight Zone or Total Eclipse.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5652 on: July 19, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
I think the album cover and that red marble vinyl look great, will be looking into getting that one.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5653 on: July 19, 2021, 07:55:16 AM »
It'd be interesting to see if there will be any alternative art off this album cover, as was the case of TBOS instead of the boring black background.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5654 on: July 19, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »
'Lost in a Lost World' better be a sequel to 'Stranger in a Strange Land'.

If I'm being completely honest there amount of Harris does worry me, I love a Harris epic as much as the next Maiden fan, but 3 in a row.........

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5655 on: July 19, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »
The music video had that Japanese theme in it, so it's not completely out of no where, but all that hype and Belshazzars Feast... and none of that is relevant or am I missing something? The hints and nuggets seem to be somewhat confusing up to this press release. 

Anyway, the track titles seem interesting but wow those song lengths.... I hope this isn't a huge let down the way TFF was for me (with lots of Harris songs and the back end with all the longer ones).  Also the mentions of a couple songs being of a different style.  I'm wondering if that includes TWOTW?

Art work is not very interesting IMO.

I'm slightly concerned by this announcement, and the way it's been announced especially since this has been planned for so long now.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I'm skeptical as to how good it will be.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #5656 on: July 19, 2021, 08:11:45 AM »
Wow, have not seen those alternate Book of Souls artworks! All 3 of those are better than the official artwork to me!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5657 on: July 19, 2021, 08:17:12 AM »
Wow, have not seen those alternate Book of Souls artworks! All 3 of those are better than the official artwork to me!

Yeah I use the 2nd one as my "official" artwork when I listen on my PC. Way better.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5658 on: July 19, 2021, 08:18:20 AM »
That third layout, with the band members' caricatures, was on one of the shirts of that tour.

I think the samurai Eddie will look SICK on the live setting.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5659 on: July 19, 2021, 08:19:39 AM »
The music video had that Japanese theme in it, so it's not completely out of no where, but all that hype and Belshazzars Feast... and none of that is relevant or am I missing something? The hints and nuggets seem to be somewhat confusing up to this press release.  .

They were relevant to the single's marketing. People who assumed it would also have relevance to the album as a whole.

In the countdown after the single's release, references to WOTW or Belshazzar were dropped.

The covers of TFF and TBOS referenced a Japanese theme. That's why I wasn't totally surprised by the album cover and title.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5660 on: July 19, 2021, 08:21:05 AM »
I love the artwork and I can’t wait to see the stage design for the world tour!

Here’s hoping it’s a good record!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5661 on: July 19, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
The music video had that Japanese theme in it, so it's not completely out of no where, but all that hype and Belshazzars Feast... and none of that is relevant or am I missing something? The hints and nuggets seem to be somewhat confusing up to this press release.  .

They were relevant to the single's marketing. People who assumed it would also have relevance to the album as a whole.

In the countdown after the single's release, references to WOTW or Belshazzar were dropped.

The covers of TFF and TBOS referenced a Japanese theme. That's why I wasn't totally surprised by the album cover and title.

Sun and Steel beer also has Eddie as a samurai. And let's not forget the cover of Maiden Japan. It's actually surprising it took them so long to have that as a theme.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5662 on: July 19, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
Now that's what I've been waiting for. Bring it on.  :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5663 on: July 19, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
And this strategy (pun intended) aimed at marketing the single, which does not reflect the album as a whole, was exactly the same thing they did at AMoLaD.
Marketing about who was Benjamin Breeg...

Offline 425

« Reply #5664 on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »
Anyway, the track titles seem interesting but wow those song lengths.... I hope this isn't a huge let down the way TFF was for me (with lots of Harris songs and the back end with all the longer ones).

TFF only has one solo Harris song, though? (When the Wild Wind Blows)

He's credited as a co-writer on every song, but that was the case on every album from BNW to TFF.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5665 on: July 19, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
Though I wish the album art actually had a background Samurai Eddie looks badass. In my opinion Maiden has never released a bad album, their worst ones are still overall ok so I'm excited. Their reunion albums have all been solid with AMOLAD being in my top 3. That being said the 3 back to back Harris songs I also find concerning lol. I just gotta hope that there's no song like Blood Brothers on it. I know sometimes the long maiden songs have the tendency to be on the repetitive side (especially songs penned by Harris) but my god I never liked that song.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5666 on: July 19, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »
Anyway, the track titles seem interesting but wow those song lengths.... I hope this isn't a huge let down the way TFF was for me (with lots of Harris songs and the back end with all the longer ones).

TFF only has one solo Harris song, though? (When the Wild Wind Blows)

He's credited as a co-writer on every song, but that was the case on every album from BNW to TFF.

Yeah, he may not be the solo credit but it feels very similar to me. Even with TWOTW which isn't a Harris song feels like TFF to me with the mid tempo pace.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5667 on: July 19, 2021, 09:38:52 AM »
I just gotta hope that there's no song like Blood Brothers on it.

Indeed. Not a good song.

As for the track lengths, more DT than DT.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5668 on: July 19, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
We can only hope the last 3 songs don't have a chorus or we need to hope that Steve finally learned how to right one.

Sadly, I would venture that at least one of those hits the Seventh Son, Angel and Gambler, Blood Brothers, No More Lies, For The Greater Good of God, etc. realm.

Man, he really has chorus issues.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5669 on: July 19, 2021, 10:27:17 AM »
Excellent. Not long to wait!

There is a lot of Steve on there. But well excited.  :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.