Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572684 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5600 on: July 16, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQYb0dnyA0

The sound is MUCH better on this youtube link for the official audio.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5601 on: July 16, 2021, 11:59:34 AM »

That does sound really good, and the vocals sound clearer.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5602 on: July 16, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »
Didn't hate the song, didn't love it either. It's OK.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5603 on: July 16, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »

Thanks, that sounds better! I kind of like the song, nice chorus.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5604 on: July 16, 2021, 12:50:37 PM »
Listened to it again and if Dickinson wasn't singing, I don't know if I would have been able to identify this as an Iron Maiden song.  I mean, OK, no problem with bands evolving over time, this is a pretty common thing.  But as Iron Maiden songs go this one doesn't really contain any of the classic elements that make Iron Maiden songs so instantly identifiable.  No galloping bass/drums parts, no twin harmony guitar riffs, no sudden time/feel change into a crazy back and forth legato solo section, no breakdowns.   

Online Lupton

« Reply #5605 on: July 16, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »
Gers has been my favourite composer (at least credited composer, considering how much of each individual song is actually composed by Harris, I've heard) for the past few albums, especially the last two. I absolutely love The Talisman and Shadows of the Valley (and Ghost of the Navigator, etc) . I wonder if this will continue.

Agreed, Gers hopefully have lots of involvement in the songwriting department.

I've noticed on the last few releases Gers has been only allowed two tracks per record. Don't know why the band is Harrison-ing him (Beatles reference for those who get it ;)). It makes me wonder if the reason why his stuff has an edge on the other songwriters is because he's taking the best 2 tunes from a pile of songs that don't get used?

There's a much better balance of songwriting on Brave New World and Dance of Death and indeed I find both of those albums superior to anything that followed.

Online Lupton

« Reply #5606 on: July 16, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
Listened to it again and if Dickinson wasn't singing, I don't know if I would have been able to identify this as an Iron Maiden song.  I mean, OK, no problem with bands evolving over time, this is a pretty common thing.  But as Iron Maiden songs go this one doesn't really contain any of the classic elements that make Iron Maiden songs so instantly identifiable.  No galloping bass/drums parts, no twin harmony guitar riffs, no sudden time/feel change into a crazy back and forth legato solo section, no breakdowns.

To me, most of the re-union area stuff uses those "classic elements" in a much more sparse way than had been done during the classic 80s era. Those 80s records are chock full of those identifiable elements, while in a lot of the reunion tunes, those elements pop up every now and then, but overall there's a lot less of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5607 on: July 16, 2021, 02:42:29 PM »

That was my problem too.  The only part that sounded like Maiden was that harmony section reminiscent of Where the Wild Wind Blows.  I've only listened to this once but I don't genuinely understand the direction they have taken on this song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5608 on: July 16, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »
I still think the first solo could have been better - it sounds like a collage of ideas Adrian had while writing it. Also, it's weird that he has two solos in it, and the others have very little to show for. But I'll say this: the song has grown on me A LOT after a few more listens. I love that they're trying different things. No galloping, no looooong bass intros...just awesome!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5609 on: July 16, 2021, 03:09:42 PM »
The song comes to nicely thanks to Bruce's lyrics and concept and the video tying everything together. But without that I think I would find it lacking. The solo especially seems very phoned in, like a lot of other Maiden solos but with about half the effort.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5610 on: July 16, 2021, 03:31:13 PM »
I enjoy the second solo a lot.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5611 on: July 16, 2021, 03:34:09 PM »
Had someone played me the instrumental version of this, I would be able to identify it as a Maiden song two minutes in. Nicko's beat and Steve's basslines are just classic. Not to mention that the riffs are reminiscent of The Book of souls, Mother Russia, The Legacy and stuff like that. It's consistent with their sound in many aspects.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5612 on: July 16, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »
Gers has been my favourite composer (at least credited composer, considering how much of each individual song is actually composed by Harris, I've heard) for the past few albums, especially the last two. I absolutely love The Talisman and Shadows of the Valley (and Ghost of the Navigator, etc) . I wonder if this will continue.

Agreed, Gers hopefully have lots of involvement in the songwriting department.

I've noticed on the last few releases Gers has been only allowed two tracks per record. Don't know why the band is Harrison-ing him (Beatles reference for those who get it ;)). It makes me wonder if the reason why his stuff has an edge on the other songwriters is because he's taking the best 2 tunes from a pile of songs that don't get used?

There's a much better balance of songwriting on Brave New World and Dance of Death and indeed I find both of those albums superior to anything that followed.

I believe Gers' compositions are compatible with Murray, Harris-only, and even Dickinson (excluding his participation as a lyricist).
The outlier is Adrian Smith, who is having half of the writing on the records.

Book of Souls example:
Harris-only: 1
Gers: 2
Dickinson: 2
Murray: 1
Smith:5

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5613 on: July 16, 2021, 04:08:03 PM »

That does sound a lot better.

Damn, the verses, especially the second verse is so close to Turn the Page (Seger/Metallica)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5614 on: July 16, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »
I didn't mind the song on second listen, just really hope this isn't a clear representation of the album.  I hope it's the softest song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5615 on: July 16, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
I didn't mind the song on second listen, just really hope this isn't a clear representation of the album.  I hope it's the softest song.

Yeah, I definitely liked it better the second time around. I haven't listened to it a third time yet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5616 on: July 16, 2021, 04:45:50 PM »
I've listened to this again today and am really impressed.

Once past the the acoustic it's unmistakably Maiden with a slightly groovier, laid back twist.

I wasn't keen on TBOS. There's some good material (and these adjectives don't apply to all of it equally) but was kinda drawn-out, predictable, unpolished and unfinished to me. There's not a single track that would make it onto a Doctor Action Maiden best-of.

I already like this one more.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5617 on: July 16, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
I've listened to the song 5 times already, and I'm liking it much, much more than Speed of Light. I absolutely love the riff, the second solo and the melody inbetween.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5618 on: July 16, 2021, 06:21:57 PM »
I've listened to this again today and am really impressed.

Once past the the acoustic it's unmistakably Maiden with a slightly groovier, laid back twist.

I wasn't keen on TBOS. There's some good material (and these adjectives don't apply to all of it equally) but was kinda drawn-out, predictable, unpolished and unfinished to me. There's not a single track that would make it onto a Doctor Action Maiden best-of.

I already like this one more.

That would be a legit compilation album title!  :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5619 on: July 16, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »

I also realized why the vocals sound so much better here than on the original promo video, is because there is a cooler sounding delay effect rather than that bathroom reverb.  The delay sounds 10× better!
I wonder why that happened? Perhaps they used the wrong mix the first time??

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5620 on: July 16, 2021, 10:26:43 PM »
Had someone played me the instrumental version of this, I would be able to identify it as a Maiden song two minutes in. Nicko's beat and Steve's basslines are just classic. Not to mention that the riffs are reminiscent of The Book of souls, Mother Russia, The Legacy and stuff like that. It's consistent with their sound in many aspects.

I agree with this. It sounds exactly like latter-day Maiden.

Interesting that people are now speculating the original version released wasn't the right one. Bruce definitely sounded like he was in a large bathroom or hallway. The version released to Spotify sounds much better although I'd still argue the overall production is rather boxy.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5621 on: July 16, 2021, 11:56:28 PM »

That would be a legit compilation album title!  :metal

:lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5622 on: July 17, 2021, 12:23:50 AM »
The band is still posting photos of album art updated by TWOTW symbols. AMOLAD was posted today on Facebook and Instagram, with one of the soldiers wearing the Belshazzar's feast shirt.

I assume that The Final Frontier and The Book of souls are coming up on Saturday and Sunday, so that we can have the announcement of the new album on Monday.

Not just Belshazzar's feast shirt, but there are 17 marks on the tank, in addition to the number 17 on the trees (in Arabic and Roman numerals).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5623 on: July 17, 2021, 01:50:47 AM »
Even with the bad sound in the original upload, this sounded interesting and compelling. It's probably not the best song on the album, but it's a really good "this is my first taste of new Iron Maiden after a long absence and I'm imagining this animated video on VH1 Europe in 2007 because we've been through a pandemic and now all I listen to is nostalgia shit"-song. Whoops, too specific :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5624 on: July 17, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
THIRTY THREE years ago tonight!
(I've posted these before..)

July 17, 1988
Worcester Centrum

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5625 on: July 17, 2021, 03:31:14 PM »
 :hefdaddy :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5626 on: July 17, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »
 :hefdaddy
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5627 on: July 17, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »

Oh yeah, this sounds much better.  :metal

I think this song will warm up much better for me over time.  Once I get over the initial shock of "oh this sounds different than typical IM" and start to just enjoy it for what it is.  It's already more enjoyable than my first listen (and having the better sound helps tremendously).

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5628 on: July 17, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »
It's almost like the lot of you want Maiden to be AC/DC, where every song sounds the same. :corn

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5629 on: July 18, 2021, 06:05:25 AM »
The same?  No, I just want it to sound like Iron Maiden.  To me, this doesn't really sound like an Iron Maiden song. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5630 on: July 18, 2021, 06:18:34 AM »
The same?  No, I just want it to sound like Iron Maiden.  To me, this doesn't really sound like an Iron Maiden song.

+1.

Honestly, for a band of Maiden's age and the amount of material they have produced, I really don't want to see them try anything different so far at the back end of their career.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5631 on: July 18, 2021, 07:27:16 AM »
I didn't think it sounded any more different from their core sound than, say, Different World, Wildest Dreams, Here To Eternity, Can I Play With Madness.

It's a little different but not much, imo.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5632 on: July 18, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »

It's a little different but not much, imo.

Absolutely.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5633 on: July 18, 2021, 08:05:28 AM »
Yea for me this sounded pretty much like they've done on all the reunion albums atleast, a kinda of middle paced song.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline 425

« Reply #5634 on: July 18, 2021, 08:26:13 AM »
I mean, this is way less different than Empire of the Clouds. Given that they put that on their 16th album, I wouldn't put anything past them for their 17th, and wouldn't try to stop them.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time