Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572790 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5565 on: July 15, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
I thought it was good. I like the acoustic vibe, the mid tempo and the folky riffs. It's great to have a new Iron Maiden song after so many years, I was truly excited about this one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5566 on: July 15, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
Well, that song was a letdown for all the hype.  Expected something heavy from the name and the buildup and we almost get a Smith/Kotzen left over.  The verses reminded me heavily of Turn the Page.

Didn't like that at all.  Adrian taking both solos too which is a bit odd.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5567 on: July 15, 2021, 01:52:02 PM »
Well, that song was a letdown for all the hype.  Expected something heavy from the name and the buildup and we almost get a Smith/Kotzen left over.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5568 on: July 15, 2021, 01:55:16 PM »
Considering the first singles since Bruce and Adrian came back:

01 - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
02 - The Wicker Man
03 - The Writing on the Wall
04 - Speed of Light
05 - Wildest Dreams
06 - El Dorado

I don't like the last three.

Speed of Light is easily my favorite of them all even if Bruce is straining in the chorus. Wicker Man not far behind. After that, meh.

To me SoL, WD and El Dorado are typical Adrian Smith generic songs since returning.

I was genuinely surprised that the new song written by Adrian is not up to par.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #5569 on: July 15, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
Really Really enjoyed that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5570 on: July 15, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »
I’m usually let down by the opening single on most Maiden albums. But I really really like this one!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5571 on: July 15, 2021, 02:02:25 PM »
And even in AMoLaD Adrian Smith made his generic song to be single (Different World), but strangely it stayed as the second single.

It wouldn't be strange if a second single from the new album were of this type.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5572 on: July 15, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »
No opinion on the song yet, though it certainly does have a Southern rock kind of thing going, but if you're going to promote this much chatter and speculation you really need to hand out more than just one song. After TFF thing they have to know there's a ton of speculation that comes with these sorts of things, and this kind makes me think they're just yanking our chain.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5573 on: July 15, 2021, 02:24:55 PM »
No opinion on the song yet, though it certainly does have a Southern rock kind of thing going, but if you're going to promote this much chatter and speculation you really need to hand out more than just one song. After TFF thing they have to know there's a ton of speculation that comes with these sorts of things, and this kind makes me think they're just yanking our chain.

My initial thoughts are the same, but I don't follow their IG (or at least not closely) so if what Dedalus says is true (and I have no reason to doubt that) then it seems they are still pumping up some hype for another announcement.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5574 on: July 15, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »

Hoping this is the El Dorado of the album, or a b-side.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5575 on: July 15, 2021, 02:29:01 PM »
Well, that song was a letdown for all the hype.  Expected something heavy from the name and the buildup and we almost get a Smith/Kotzen left over.

Just the first thing that popped in my head.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5576 on: July 15, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »

I never checked that album out, I'm guessing you two weren't a fan?  I didn't hate the first single

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #5577 on: July 15, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
Great song, heard a much clearer mix on YT Music and I detected some keyboard sounds during the chorus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5578 on: July 15, 2021, 02:47:23 PM »

I never checked that album out, I'm guessing you two weren't a fan?  I didn't hate the first single

Didn't really have an opinion on it.  It was fine and a pleasant listen but not something I'd get the urge to keep revisiting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5579 on: July 15, 2021, 02:52:19 PM »
I thought the THIRD single was pretty good.  :lol

I might be able to swallow hard and try and enjoy it if it was just Adrian, but even then it'd be a tough one.

But yeah, nothing I'd follow up on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5580 on: July 15, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
I actually really liked the main riff. The chorus is a bit... idk, it's growing on me. It seems to be one of the choruses that I hate when I first hear them and they become one of my favourites later, like Fall into the Light by DT. but overall, I think I enjoyed this more than Speed of Light. And yeah, very weird to just drop a track and not give any info about the album, although I'm 99% positive an album is coming, considering the IMXVII on the poster.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:38:21 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline 425

« Reply #5581 on: July 15, 2021, 03:39:13 PM »
My calculus has not changed on whether I think an album is coming; even besides the IMXVII thing I just can't see them coming out with a standalone single at this stage of their career. My calculus has only changed on how likely it is that the title of the album will be The Writing on the Wall.

As for the song: What's promising to me is, like others said, this doesn't sound like a rehash of anything they've done recently. Doesn't really stand out as anything special to me on its own terms, but their last few lead singles have been among my least favorite songs on their respective albums, so I'm not inclined to worry too much.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Melphina

« Reply #5582 on: July 15, 2021, 03:50:16 PM »
I hope this album was not recorded in a cup of chocolate pudding like the last one.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5583 on: July 15, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
Can’t understand anyone saying Bruce sounds good, he’s still doing the Abe Simpson thing that he had on the recent live release.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5584 on: July 15, 2021, 03:53:55 PM »
Haven't heard it yet as I'm at work, but reading about it on Reddit everyone is saying there is something off with the YouTube version and the Spotify version sounds much better.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5585 on: July 15, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
Heard it multiple times now. I love Maiden but the new song is not connecting with me. At all.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5586 on: July 15, 2021, 04:01:02 PM »
Yea there's definitely some compression issue or something with the YT video. The Spotify version is the correct version. On headphones it's clear when you compare the two.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5587 on: July 15, 2021, 04:30:52 PM »
Gers has been my favourite composer (at least credited composer, considering how much of each individual song is actually composed by Harris, I've heard) for the past few albums, especially the last two. I absolutely love The Talisman and Shadows of the Valley (and Ghost of the Navigator, etc) . I wonder if this will continue.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:37:05 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5588 on: July 15, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »
Yea there's definitely some compression issue or something with the YT video. The Spotify version is the correct version. On headphones it's clear when you compare the two.

Oh wow, the Spotify version is 100 times better.

I can see this song growing.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #5589 on: July 15, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
Sorry but Bruce' voice makes the song unlistenable for me. Even burrying his voice in the mix and correction doesn't help.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5590 on: July 15, 2021, 05:55:51 PM »
I like the song. It’s not great by any means and I hope it’s one of the weakest songs on the album, but I like it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5591 on: July 15, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
I like the song. It’s not great by any means and I hope it’s one of the weakest songs on the album, but I like it.

Yeah, I say the same thing every time Iron Maiden releases a lead single..if this is my favorite song on the album, I'm not gonna be happy..

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5592 on: July 15, 2021, 06:28:22 PM »
The Brazilian cover band Children of the Beast ALREADY did a cover of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olzsaU-tbjM

This means they played it live BEFORE Maiden!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5593 on: July 15, 2021, 06:30:51 PM »
I don't love it, but it's a pretty cool song...a little different for Maiden (at least some parts). I agree it sounds better "outside" of YT, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the production.

I'm getting a Fleetwood Mac's The Chain vibe at the very start of the song, with the acoustic...anyone else?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:34:40 PM by nick_z »

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5594 on: July 15, 2021, 06:42:41 PM »
I know youtube can do weird things with the audio but man at least on spotify bruce doesn't sound like he recorded his vocals in a bathroom.

The song overall I enjoy. It sounds a bit different than the usual maiden stuff and sounds like it would be right at home on one of the earlier bruce solo records like Balls to Picasso. It probably won't be my favorite on what I'm assuming is a new album but then again their singles usually aren't anyway. I'm pretty used to what bruce sounds like nowadays so he sounds fine to me but it is clear that playing in standard tuning is getting harder for him. Thanks to his solo work we know Bruce can sound badass in lower tuning and a lot of Maiden stuff I'm sure would sound great in the transition. Hallowed be Thy Name in particular is one that comes to mind.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5595 on: July 15, 2021, 06:48:12 PM »
Can’t understand anyone saying Bruce sounds good, he’s still doing the Abe Simpson thing that he had on the recent live release.

I don't get that reference.

I liked the song.  I can't wait until I hear it on a decent system with decent sound.  I traditionally like the stuff better when I can listen to it properly (in my car).  I hated the Wolfgang stuff when I heard it on the interwebs, but love it on CD.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5596 on: July 15, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »
Gers has been my favourite composer (at least credited composer, considering how much of each individual song is actually composed by Harris, I've heard) for the past few albums, especially the last two. I absolutely love The Talisman and Shadows of the Valley (and Ghost of the Navigator, etc) . I wonder if this will continue.

Agreed, Gers hopefully have lots of involvement in the songwriting department.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5597 on: July 15, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »
DCLXVI (666) on the car heading out...  Nice little nod.  The song was okay on first listen.  Definitely want to listen a few more times before making a decision on it. 

The wife and I are watching Outlander at the moment.  Kinda sounds like something that should be playing in the background of that show.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5598 on: July 16, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »
I like the song.

Bruce sounds old, but for me not in a bad way. He hits the notes, uses his range and expression/passion etc. I do understand why it bothers some people. But I also feel this applied to Book of Souls to some extent.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5599 on: July 16, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
The band is still posting photos of album art updated by TWOTW symbols. AMOLAD was posted today on Facebook and Instagram, with one of the soldiers wearing the Belshazzar's feast shirt.

I assume that The Final Frontier and The Book of souls are coming up on Saturday and Sunday, so that we can have the announcement of the new album on Monday.