Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572582 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5530 on: July 15, 2021, 11:17:32 AM »
specifically Bruce did not sound good at all IMO.

I thought he sounded like he was singing in the bathroom (both for the reverb and the strain :lol). However, I'm also playing a game at the moment and thought the reverb might have been coming from that.

Yeah, I was thinking like some sort of empty room. Very odd.

Also, the youtube link used for the stream has now been updated with title and has the lyrics

Iron Maiden – The Writing On The Wall (Official Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBnW7bZHEE

Lyrics
Across a painted desert lies a train of vagabonds
All that’s left of what we were it’s what we have become
Once our empires glorious but now the empire’s gone
The dead gave us the time to live and now our time is done

Now we are victorious we’ve become our slaves
A land of hope and glory building graveyards for the brave

Have you seen the writing on the wall
Have you seen that writing
Can you see the riders on the storm
Can you see them riding ~ can you see them riding

Holding on to jury is that all we ever know
Ignorance our judge and jury all we’ve got to show
From Hollywood to Babylon ~ holy war to kingdom come
On a trail of dust and ashes ~ when the burning sky is done
A tide of change is coming and that is what you fear
The earthquake is a coming but you don’t want to hear
You’re just too blind to see

Have you seen the writing on the wall
Have you seen that writing
Can you see the riders on the storm
Can you see them riding
Can you see them riding. . . Riding next to you

Written by Smith / Dickinson

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5531 on: July 15, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
Most excellent,  and not bogus!!!  :metal

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

UP THE IRONS!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5532 on: July 15, 2021, 11:25:08 AM »
Holy cow, this is quite a graphic video here.

It's an all right song for the first single of what looks to be a new album.  I do agree though regarding Bruce's voice not produced clear enough.  He sounds ok.  It just wasn't projected clear enough if that makes sense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5533 on: July 15, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »
I like it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5534 on: July 15, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
Pretty good Maiden tune! I dig it. :tup

New Eddie design is also pretty cool, assuming that is what he is going to look like in the album cover!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5535 on: July 15, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
That song is awesome!   Love the part of the video where the old Eddie's appear. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5537 on: July 15, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »
Didn't like the 1st solo at all (sounded out of place) but then the following solo totally kicks ass.  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5538 on: July 15, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
Well, after so much hype, "just" a new song feels underwhelming... they started the whole WOTW thing months ago for just a single track? without even saying or HINTING it's a song from a new album? I mean, it's certainly a first for Maiden in their entire carrer, "here's a new song just because".

Having said that, I like it! Is it the freshness of it, or does it actually sound fresh and new and not "just another Maiden song"? I mean, it's no slow intro song, no anthemic Wicker Man wannabe song, no galopping bass... if you'd sell me this as a Bruce solo song, I'd totally fall for that. and I mean it as a compliment, it's nice to have a new song that doesn't let us think immediately "Ah, here we go again with the same kind of song".

Bruce sounds great as usual, but he's low in the mix. Like they want to hide him away, why? he's good as ever!

Anyway, love the song, video is cool, I just think the hype was worth of an album announcement, not a single song release without even the hint of a future album to come.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #5539 on: July 15, 2021, 12:00:00 PM »
Hmm. Kinda sounded like a Bon Jovi song for a while. Need a few more spins.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5540 on: July 15, 2021, 12:03:48 PM »
I liked the song! And it has a very different (for IM) western feel to it. Maybe because of that, it sounds like Bon Jovi?
Kevin Shirley's production is what it is... I never felt that he was good for IM.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:26:27 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Melphina

« Reply #5541 on: July 15, 2021, 12:12:21 PM »
While I enjoy it, it didn't grab me by the throat especially at the beginning, and as is typical of Maiden for the last 15 or so years, it's too long. But it's Iron Maiden so it's automatically awesome.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5542 on: July 15, 2021, 12:14:20 PM »
Video was really cool. Song didn't do anything for me, but then that's no surprise as I'm not really that big on anything from Smith on the last few Maiden releases. To me, Janick is the best writer in the band at this point. In fact, when I look at the list of tunes I regularly listen to from AMoLaD thru BoS, nothing from Smith is on the list. Shame, as Smith is the tastiest solo-ist in the band (IMHO).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5543 on: July 15, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
Anyway, love the song, video is cool, I just think the hype was worth of an album announcement, not a single song release without even the hint of a future album to come.

I really expected the album details at the end of the video.  Pretty shocked that there's no announcement.  I really doubt this is just a one off single which a lot of bands do these days, just doesn't seem very IM like.  Maybe they don't want to release the album just yet since they won't be touring to support it any time soon but they also don't want to fall out of the limelight so they release this track very early and over the next months we get more tidbits and eventually another song and album details.  Who knows. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5544 on: July 15, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like it would be more at home on a Bruce Dickinson solo album? 

Some interesting and unexpected choices on how this was mixed but I love that it's got plenty of head room.  The drums sound massive.  :eek

The music is not really what I've come to expect from Iron Maiden, which is a little bit surprising since they've been pretty consistent since the reunion.  Someone mentioned Bon Jovi...that flashed through my mind as well.  The intro reminded me a little bit of Wanted Dead or Alive, but only for a few seconds. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5545 on: July 15, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
A bit underwhelming..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5546 on: July 15, 2021, 12:25:14 PM »
It was ok.  Nothing great.  Not surprised to see at the end that it was a Smith/Dickinson composition.

When the main riff started, it seemed VERY reminiscent of something -- not sure if it was a particular song or just the style of some other band.

We'll see....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5547 on: July 15, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »
Well, I remember when they released the single "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" and I had about the same reaction to that song, but the rest of that album was really pretty great.  In fact, TROBB was probably the weakest track on A Matter of Life and Death, which is still my favorite reunion era album.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5548 on: July 15, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
Hard to judge sound quality on YouTube, if the final album sounds that way then that's another thing.

I liked the song and video, pretty elaborate animation.

I guess those were Eddies of different eras on the bikes. I think I saw Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind and Powerslave Eddie if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there were more.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:39:16 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5549 on: July 15, 2021, 12:35:58 PM »
Hard to judge sound quality on YouTube, if the final album sounds that way then that's another thing.

I guess those were Eddie's of different eras on the bikes. I think I saw Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind and Powerslave Eddie if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there were more.
Yea apparently there's alot of nuggets in the video, haven't looked for them myself yet though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5550 on: July 15, 2021, 12:41:42 PM »
Can't wait to listen as I'm at work but I've seen many people comment that the mix is much better on spotify and apple compared to the YouTube video
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5551 on: July 15, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »

I guess those were Eddie's of different eras on the bikes. I think I saw Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind and Powerslave Eddie if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there were more.

Well, just to clarify, I didn't think it sounded bad. In fact, I just listened again and I think it sounds pretty good overall.  The way the drums are mixed just caught me by surprise I guess.  Even that is not necessarily bad.  It's just not what I expected.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5552 on: July 15, 2021, 12:44:29 PM »

I guess those were Eddies of different eras on the bikes. I think I saw Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind and Powerslave Eddie if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there were more.

Killers, Dance of Death, Somewhere in Time and Powerslave Eddie's, plus the new one.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #5553 on: July 15, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »
Maiden meets Metalocalypse. :metal

Yep. Based on his weapons, the first one appears to be both Killers and Dance Of Death Eddie. Then there's also Somewhere In Time, Powerslave and Book of Souls Eddies.

Yea apparently there's alot of nuggets in the video, haven't looked for them myself yet though.
I started a thread about it on the Maiden subreddit. Here's a link, in case you find something cool to share: https://www.reddit.com/r/ironmaiden/comments/okxs3d/twotw_video_references/

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5554 on: July 15, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »
Considering the first singles since Bruce and Adrian came back:

01 - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
02 - The Wicker Man
03 - The Writing on the Wall
04 - Speed of Light
05 - Wildest Dreams
06 - El Dorado

I don't like the last three.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5555 on: July 15, 2021, 12:54:51 PM »
Reminded me of The Legacy.

The only issue I have is with the production on Bruce's vocals. They sound tight, as in tight in a box.

The video on the other hand was excellent, and is how music videos should be done. Loving Samurai Eddy.

I am laughing though because when the main riff came in, I instantly started singing "I feel like making love."   :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online faizoff

« Reply #5556 on: July 15, 2021, 01:01:58 PM »

Well, just to clarify, I didn't think it sounded bad. In fact, I just listened again and I think it sounds pretty good overall.  The way the drums are mixed just caught me by surprise I guess.  Even that is not necessarily bad.  It's just not what I expected.

Like others have said, it's kinda on par with how Kevin Shirley has been mixing the band in the reunion era. I checked out the YouTube music version and the Spotify version, it does sound a bit better than the video version. Still overall kinda bland mix but not surprising at this stage.

I'm waiting for more info on the album and release. At this rate, the release will probably be sometime next year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5557 on: July 15, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »

Killers, Dance of Death, Somewhere in Time and Powerslave Eddie's, plus the new one.

There was also a nod to the X factor as well.  I bet there were lots of nuggets in the video, I only watched once though.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5558 on: July 15, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »
Oh, please make it sooner than next year. A six month wait will be totally frustrating for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5559 on: July 15, 2021, 01:09:12 PM »
There's a sort of countdown in the band's official Instagram stories.

Every day there is a story with a album cover and the sound of the first single in the background.

Today: Dance of Death, to the sound of Wildest Dreams.

So tomorrow it will be A Matter of Life and Death, the 17th it will be The Final Frontier, the 18th The Book of Souls and the 19th... maybe the new album? To see....  :biggrin:

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5560 on: July 15, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »

Every day there is a story with a album cover and the sound of the first single in the background.

So tomorrow it will be A Matter of Life and Death, the 17th it will be The Final Frontier, the 18th The Book of Souls and the 19th... maybe the new album? To see....  :biggrin:

Ahh... and all the album covers have been modified with WOTW or Bellshazzar's Feast poster.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5561 on: July 15, 2021, 01:16:27 PM »

oh, nice!

Online faizoff

« Reply #5562 on: July 15, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »

Very cool, didn't Tool do something similar on Instagram, every week they released an album cover or something and then announced the new album? I forget the details but that would be a cool way to reveal it.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #5563 on: July 15, 2021, 01:24:50 PM »
Well, I really like it - better than anything off Book Of Souls. I wonder if they've done an approach to the vocals that tries to de-emphasise the effect on his speech that missing a chunk of his tongue has had.

When the main riff started, it seemed VERY reminiscent of something -- not sure if it was a particular song or just the style of some other band.

If you mean what kicks in around the 1 minute mark it's big hints of the Feel Like Makin' Love chorus.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #5564 on: July 15, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »
Considering the first singles since Bruce and Adrian came back:

01 - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
02 - The Wicker Man
03 - The Writing on the Wall
04 - Speed of Light
05 - Wildest Dreams
06 - El Dorado

I don't like the last three.

Speed of Light is easily my favorite of them all even if Bruce is straining in the chorus. Wicker Man not far behind. After that, meh.