Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573574 times)

Online pg1067

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5460 on: July 08, 2021, 03:10:08 PM »
FOTD still probably a top 5 Maiden album for me.  Judas also still a top 5 Maiden song.
I have the FOTD album, but I've only listened to it maybe two or three times.  The title track is a top tier song, but the rest of the album did nothing for me.  I should give it another chance and listen from a fresh perspective.

I listened to No Prayer and FOTD recently -- probably for the first time in 25 years.  FOTD (the song) is far and away the best song on either album, but I was a little surprised to find that I liked more songs on No Prayer than on FOTD.  They both bear revisiting.

Just listened to the song "Powerslave" for the first time. That chorus! :hefdaddy

The bit from 5:02 to 5:13 reminds me of "Metropolis - Part I", also starting at 5:02. Has it ever been confirmed whether it's a tribute or something?

I mean...they're both sections in which the band does a "bum bum" thing that is interspersed with drum fills, but that's about it.  Not exactly something unique, and I would imagine the similarity is purely coincidental.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5461 on: July 09, 2021, 07:37:06 AM »
Fear Of The Dark has tons of great songs on it!

I love that record too and some of the deep cuts that nobody ever mentions are really cool songs - Fear is the Key, Childhood's End and The Fugitive, in particular.

I wouldn't say "tons" but it's not devoid of good songs.  I LOVE Afraid To Shoot Strangers and From Here To Eternity (a part of the Charlotte series, BTW).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5462 on: July 09, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5463 on: July 09, 2021, 02:27:33 PM »
Can't wait!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5464 on: July 09, 2021, 02:43:18 PM »

I love that record too and some of the deep cuts that nobody ever mentions are really cool songs - Fear is the Key, Childhood's End and The Fugitive, in particular.

I overlooked The Fugitive for years, but it's a cool song, I only rediscovered it only a couple of years ago.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5465 on: July 09, 2021, 03:02:25 PM »
An Invitation

Well excited. It better not just be a streaming concert. I mean, a streaming concert would be ace but given my massive lust for a new album, nothing less will sate me!

Bruce is in the same location he was on that news show. I guess they recorded that the same day
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5466 on: July 09, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »
No way it's a streaming concert. First of all they're so big they'd crash every server in the world, also Maiden give me the idea of being old school and since they never did anything during the lockdown months, I'd ve very surprised if they'd do a streaming concert, I can picture Steve saying "nah, bollocks" to that.

It's very likely the announcement of the new album. But let's wait and see....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5467 on: July 09, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »
Well they could do a half soundstage concert and half magic show..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5468 on: July 09, 2021, 03:53:02 PM »
Well they could do a half soundstage concert and half magic show..

Yeah, that was truly awful :lol

I dunno. Who announces anything good on a Thursday? Mind you, things are still released on a Tuesday. Who on earth thought that was a good idea in the first place? No. Friday is where it's at.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DTA

« Reply #5469 on: July 09, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »

Childhood's End reminds me so much of Fish-era Marillion, particularly the aggressive tom-roll part. Like something straight off Script or Fugazi. Plus it's yet another Marillion song title (after Hooks In You). Has the band ever commented on the similarities? No Prayer is vastly superior to Fear imo with Run Silent Run Deep being the standout from both albums.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5470 on: July 09, 2021, 04:17:42 PM »
No way it's a streaming concert. First of all they're so big they'd crash every server in the world, also Maiden give me the idea of being old school and since they never did anything during the lockdown months, I'd ve very surprised if they'd do a streaming concert, I can picture Steve saying "nah, bollocks" to that.

Fingers crossed!

No Prayer is vastly superior to Fear imo with Run Silent Run Deep being the standout from both albums.

Totally. I love that song.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5471 on: July 09, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
I mean it would be funny to see them jam a couple of songs as Belshazzars Feast and then announce the new album, of course that will never happen if I know Steve.  :D
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5473 on: July 09, 2021, 05:34:55 PM »

Agreed.  If it were a streamed concert they'd be selling tickets.  I bet it's some elaborate announcement of the album.  I saw some speculation of the announcement and the album dropping live on reddit, but I also find that hard to believe.  Surprise album releases not only don't typically sell well, it also doesn't seem like the type of thing IM would do. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5474 on: July 09, 2021, 09:33:47 PM »

Childhood's End reminds me so much of Fish-era Marillion, particularly the aggressive tom-roll part. Like something straight off Script or Fugazi. Plus it's yet another Marillion song title (after Hooks In You). Has the band ever commented on the similarities? No Prayer is vastly superior to Fear imo with Run Silent Run Deep being the standout from both albums.

Both were on EMI, both had the stylized logo on their (early) records, both had the painted album covers by dedicated artists (Derek Riggs and Mark Wilkinson), both had singles that had corresponding artwork, both had a generous helping of live and studio b-sides, both had the mascot (Eddie and the Jester), both had/have singers that like to wear costumes and masks on stage...  I'd say there was a lot in common, actually.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5475 on: July 09, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #5476 on: July 10, 2021, 02:41:00 AM »
Yesterday, they also uploaded an edited live video of "The Clairvoyant", with hidden clues about next week's announcement. https://youtu.be/XVcxgmtwaSk

I listened to the song for the first time in over 15 years. God, they write such great choruses!

Offline DTA

« Reply #5477 on: July 10, 2021, 04:31:57 AM »

Both were on EMI, both had the stylized logo on their (early) records, both had the painted album covers by dedicated artists (Derek Riggs and Mark Wilkinson), both had singles that had corresponding artwork, both had a generous helping of live and studio b-sides, both had the mascot (Eddie and the Jester), both had/have singers that like to wear costumes and masks on stage...  I'd say there was a lot in common, actually.

:o That's a pretty extensive list of similarities that I've never seen mentioned before. Surely all coincidental, but interesting nonetheless. I was actually talking about the similarities between song titles that Maiden has "borrowed" from them...someone's got to be a Marillion fan in the band, right?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5478 on: July 10, 2021, 04:59:08 AM »
Yesterday, they also uploaded an edited live video of "The Clairvoyant", with hidden clues about next week's announcement. https://youtu.be/XVcxgmtwaSk

I listened to the song for the first time in over 15 years. God, they write such great choruses!
Oh, I noticed the video but didn't see it. Wow interesting!

Seems to contain two text messages: Live Forever and Man or Beast
and two images: The first I can't tell what it looks like but I did think about one of the Icebergs in the SSoaSS album cover. The second seems to be a image of the hall Bruce did the video from.

I honestly got some shivers from "Live Forever", this band has given everything to the life on the road, playing live and to their fans. I think the last thing this band will ever do is going out on a final tour to celebrate their music with their fans.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 05:30:43 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5479 on: July 10, 2021, 05:31:02 AM »
I wonder if there's any link to SSOASS...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5480 on: July 10, 2021, 03:22:40 PM »
So... I was thinking about this this morning.  "Balthazarr's Feast" does NOT sound like a Maiden album title, but it very much does sound like a song title.    Not having seen that Clairvoyant (love that song) video, I wonder if the "Live Forever" is the album. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5481 on: July 10, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »
Balshazzar's Feast is a biblical story that gave the origin to the expression "Writing on the Wall", with the Maiden machine pumping out tweets and posts with variants of the WOTW acronym in it - and WOTW was first spotted on a poster for the Legacy of the Beast tour.

I mean, at this point I'm gonna be actually surprised if the album isn't named Writing on the Wall.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5482 on: July 10, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
Live Forever sounds like it could be a tour name, maybe for their final tour.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5483 on: July 10, 2021, 07:49:21 PM »
Well, they have their fair share of albums with "death" in the name, so maybe it's time to shake things up a bit, no?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5484 on: July 11, 2021, 03:03:30 AM »
Live forever sounds like a good song title, especially for an album closer.

Belshazzar's feast could be the name of the first single. It could contain the words "writing on the wall" in the lyrics, which could be the name of the album. The "man or beast" could also be in the lyrics, the chorus in particular.

The image on the poster will be updated with Eddie and more color for the album cover.

Just my predictions / feelings / wishes.  ;D

Online pg1067

« Reply #5485 on: July 12, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
"Balthazarr's Feast"

Definitely not.

Balshazzar's Feast

Closer.

Belshazzar's feast

And there you have it.

Balshazzar's Feast is a biblical story that gave the origin to the expression "Writing on the Wall"

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43318.msg2786808#msg2786808
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:00:45 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5487 on: July 14, 2021, 06:07:53 AM »
It's July 15 in 2 hours here In Australia!  I want it now dammit!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5488 on: July 14, 2021, 06:44:26 AM »
Shit is about to get real!!!

Now I saw a clip on Maiden's Instagram with the acronym "TWOTW" (with the T at the beginning) and it was literally written on a wall.

Now the real surprise is gonna be if the album ISN'T called (The) Writing on the Wall.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5489 on: July 14, 2021, 06:46:37 AM »
Six o'clock tomorrow afternoon UK time.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5490 on: July 14, 2021, 06:48:17 AM »
It will be at 16:00 GMT :tup
Also, in IM's facebook, they posted all the album covers, from IM to VXI, reworked, adding some hints of WOTW, Belshazzar's Feast or that pointed mountain. Interesting that they didn't include the reunion albums on those.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:56:36 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5491 on: July 14, 2021, 07:18:36 AM »
Shit is about to get real!!!

Now I saw a clip on Maiden's Instagram with the acronym "TWOTW" (with the T at the beginning) and it was literally written on a wall.

Now the real surprise is gonna be if the album ISN'T called (The) Writing on the Wall.

That's a fucking dark album title if you ask me.  I know AMOLAD, DOD, NPFTD etc.  But something about The Writing on the Wall just seems dark and heavy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5492 on: July 14, 2021, 07:27:56 AM »
Maybe it's just the title track and it's a random story that warrants that title.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5493 on: July 14, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
Writing on the wall would be a chilling, brutal title. I'll be so happy if it turns out to be the name of the album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5494 on: July 14, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
Well, the phrase MEANS "a foreshadowing of impending doom", so it's inherently dark.   I'm more interested to see if it's meta, in the sense of pertaining to the band or it's future.