Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573126 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5425 on: July 04, 2021, 03:58:16 PM »
I thought it was Twist of Fate.  Anyway that one was a really heavy rumor seemingly out of absolutely nothing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online nick_z

« Reply #5426 on: July 04, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
You could easily make the opinion that the 5 Reunion Era albums are as good as if not better than the 5 Classic Era albums (82-88).

I made a thread on it. Not sure if the poll is active or not..

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44551.105#lastPost

That's certainly a respectable opinion, but one I would respectfully disagree with (see a few posts above)  :biggrin: Although, to Maiden's credit, I do go back to the reunion albums very often, and I thoroughly enjoy them for their intrinsic quality (i.e. not just because they are Iron Maiden's albums)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5427 on: July 04, 2021, 09:51:09 PM »
I'd go the classic 5, but really these days, I'd probably listen to more of the reunion 5, which is strange.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5428 on: July 04, 2021, 09:54:31 PM »
I'd go the classic 5, but really these days, I'd probably listen to more of the reunion 5, which is strange.

I totally get it. I’m the same way with Rush. Hemispheres, PeW, and MP are easily my top 3, but I almost never listen to them. I literally glutted on them from the age of 14-24. When I reach for Rush these days, I usually reach for something that I haven’t memorized and couldn’t recite in my head note for note.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #5429 on: July 04, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
There is so much about discussions or debates like this that is affected by the person's life experiences, especially if those experience occurred during their formative years or an otherwise important period of their life.

I can't disagree with anyone at all for treasuring the 80s Maiden albums above the new stuff when that's what they listened to during those crucial years. During those same years of my life, I listened to all of their first 15 albums, but always gravitated toward the reunion stuff. So I have different sentimental attachments, but also Dance of Death is just as heavily played in my life as Piece of Mind (excepting The Trooper, which I have heard more than any other song on either album because every Maiden live album).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5430 on: July 05, 2021, 01:19:03 AM »
The comparison between the two eras is difficult also depending on when you became a fan. I'm a Maiden fan since 1995, I've heard the classic songs a gazillion times, I don't even listen to them anymore - and yet, when they play them at concerts, I know them word for word. So it's hard for me to judge the old stuff I know in my sleep against new stuff that sounds fresh and exciting.

It's like with any other band really, of course Images and Words is a landmark DT album, but why should I listen to Metropolis for the 585455th time when in a few months there's newer and fresher music to enjoy?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5431 on: July 05, 2021, 06:24:53 AM »
It's just hard to compare because their classic album run created the legacy they now have and even if we grow tired of some songs due to them being overplayed over the years, I can't imagine a universe where you flip the albums (so have the post-reunion albums in the 80s) and the band would have become as big as they are. I think the reunion albums are great, but even though I'm sick of a song like Run to the Hills at this point, there's few songs on the last 5 albums that have that 'radio hit' power of a Run to the Hills or The Trooper or The Number of the Beast or Can I Play With Madness, and so on.

But it's weird like that when some songs become bigger than the band. For example I've thought of listening through the discography of some classic bands to get more familiar, and being able to say "I have heard those albums". But it would feel weird spinning Led Zeppelin IV for example, having heard Stairway to Heaven hundreds of times over the years - but you're still listening to the album for the first time, trying to have an honest neutral 'first spin' experience.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5432 on: July 05, 2021, 06:38:38 AM »
Yup, very good points, I agree with you.

It's kinda like saying which show is better between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.... love BCS all you want, which is indeed an awesome show, but without Breaking Bad BCS would hvve been just a random show about a sleazy laywer. BB was the foundation upon which BCS was built, same for Maiden - the classic era is the reason we have the reunion era to begin with.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5433 on: July 05, 2021, 07:34:07 AM »

It's kinda like saying which show is better between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul....

I'm going to have to take your word for that, brother. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5434 on: July 05, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »

It's kinda like saying which show is better between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul....

I'm going to have to take your word for that, brother. :lol

Perfect analogy. Breaking Bad for sure, while Better Call Saul... is indeed still very good!
I know it wasn't MirrorMask original intention, but still... ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #5435 on: July 05, 2021, 10:34:58 AM »
It's kinda like saying which show is better between Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.... love BCS all you want, which is indeed an awesome show, but without Breaking Bad BCS would hvve been just a random show about a sleazy laywer. BB was the foundation upon which BCS was built, same for Maiden - the classic era is the reason we have the reunion era to begin with.

Well, I haven't seen either of these shows, but I have definitely experienced many situations where I like a sequel or spin-off better than the original work on which it's based, even situations where the spin-off definitely wouldn't exist without the success of the original.

To me, the conversations of "what material made the band successful" and "what's your favorite material" are just two completely separate conversations. Yes, I agree that without Run to the Hills and The Trooper, they might not have ever even made the reunion albums. But that doesn't mean I have to like those songs better. It doesn't have anything to do with whether I like those songs better. And I think it should go entirely without saying, here of all places, that the status of something as a radio hit or potential radio hit has nothing to do and should have nothing to do with how well I like it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5436 on: July 06, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »
Sorry if this is something that gets discussed to death around here but, wouldn't it be cool if Blaze went on tour with Maiden and opened for them?  Finally heard Blaze's last one (late to the party again) and am very impressed. Very heavy and melodic. Seems like he could be a perfect candidate for opening band. Just a fan wish  :) 
(I understand that money considerations actually dictate these types of things -- so I was thinking rhetorically)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5437 on: July 06, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »
Sorry if this is something that gets discussed to death around here but, wouldn't it be cool if Blaze went on tour with Maiden and opened for them?  Finally heard Blaze's last one (late to the party again) and am very impressed. Very heavy and melodic. Seems like he could be a perfect candidate for opening band. Just a fan wish  :) 
(I understand that money considerations actually dictate these types of things -- so I was thinking rhetorically)

Considering we've seen Steve's children perform plenty of times opening for IM, Blaze opening would be a huge win IMO.  Would probably really help Blaze too.  We all know the shitty opener doesn't negatively impact IM and I got to think Blaze would be cheaper than Alice Cooper or Dream Theater (the better openers IM have brought along).

Also, just to add, his newest album War Within Me is really good like you say.  Highly recommend it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5438 on: July 06, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »
Yep, the Blaze album was a ripper.  Great return after the three before it I thought were ordinary.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5439 on: July 06, 2021, 10:43:03 PM »
I wasn't sure about the Infinite Entanglement at first, probably down to the more operatic style employed Blaze utilised but each one really grew on me. I'd say his weakest album is probably The King of Metal. Would love to him support Maiden.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5440 on: July 06, 2021, 11:58:45 PM »
I wasn't sure about the Infinite Entanglement at first, probably down to the more operatic style employed Blaze utilised but each one really grew on me. I'd say his weakest album is probably The King of Metal. Would love to him support Maiden.

The King of Metal was definitely a step down from Promise and Terror.  I really quite enjoyed it though.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5441 on: July 07, 2021, 05:34:40 AM »
As far as potential radio hits from the reunion era,  Rainmaker should be a staple for the airwaves. It's fairly short, with plenty of catchy melodic hooks.
The Wickerman, Final Frontier, and If Eternity Should Fail are also good contenders.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5442 on: July 07, 2021, 01:01:42 PM »
I came to Maiden during the Blaze era funnily enough.  I was at University and a metal fan but it was a time when metal was super uncool and I had begun to lapse in my appreciation of that stuff and start thinking it was embarrassing.  Maiden were on Top Of The Pops (a U.K. chart based tv show back in the day) and I watched them ready to scoff at how tragic and cringeworthy they were and they came on and played Man On The Edge.  I did chuckle at first seeing them so ridiculously old school, guitar players with their foot on the monitors etc.  Despite myself though, I kind of liked it and enjoyed how unashamedly trad metal they were.  Anyway, in those days, HMV stores had listening posts for some of the latest cds so I kept going back and listening to the X Factor until I eventually bought it and really liked it.  I then bought Best Of The Beast, when that came out, to sample their earlier stuff.  I knew a couple of songs, namely Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, Holy Smoke and Can I Play With Madness but that was it.  I loved it and then worked my way back (I’ve never gone back pre-Bruce though).  I even really liked Virtual XI when it came out but now find that to be terrible.

Basically then I came in at the crossroads between classic 80’s Maiden and Reunion era.  My feeling is that those old songs feel more immediate, catchy legendary songs.  Not all of them but the shorter “hits” like 2 Minutes To Midnight, Run To The Hills, Aces High work better than their modern contemporaries.  I think The Wicker Man comes close but not quite. 

That being said I also think their newer albums have incredible epic more mature songs like Paschendale and the recent Empire Of The Clouds is right up there as one of their greatest ever achievements in my opinion, if not their greatest.

So, yes, they don’t quite have the absolute killer riffs and catchy songs of the 80’s and yes, maybe if you flipped their catalogue, these reunion albums coming first may not have made them as legendary as they are.  However these reunion albums have been so good in a different heavier more thoughtful way that has kept Maiden relevant and right at the top of the tree all these years on when pretty much every other trad metal band have fallen by the wayside.  People forget as well that Maiden were not in great shape when Bruce and Adrian came back, they were not in the big arenas and stadiums anymore.  The Brave New World album catapulted them back into that and that has continued with an unbroken run of excellent quality albums in the years that followed.  I think they have been remarkably consistent in both eras and the fact we can have a discussion as to which is better tells you just how good they still are.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5443 on: July 07, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »
As far as potential radio hits from the reunion era,  Rainmaker should be a staple for the airwaves. It's fairly short, with plenty of catchy melodic hooks.
The Wickerman, Final Frontier, and If Eternity Should Fail are also good contenders.

A prominent rock radio station in my country, still has The Wickerman in heavy rotation! Rainmaker is also one of my favorite reunion era songs!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5444 on: July 07, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »
You could easily make the opinion that the 5 Reunion Era albums are as good as if not better than the 5 Classic Era albums (82-88).

I made a thread on it. Not sure if the poll is active or not..

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44551.105#lastPost

Yeah, for me it's a close call, but I've grown to prefer the reunion era albums over the classic era. 

I got no use for anything they put out after 1988 and until the release of Brave New World

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5445 on: July 07, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
I've kinda come around a bit on Fear of the Dark. There's a lot of fun and interesting songs on it, a band trying a lot of different things and while it's not necessarily a good Iron Maiden album, I would say I like it as an album. Some great songs on it that don't get as much love as they deserve like Fear is the Key or Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5446 on: July 07, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
I've kinda come around a bit on Fear of the Dark. There's a lot of fun and interesting songs on it, a band trying a lot of different things and while it's not necessarily a good Iron Maiden album, I would say I like it as an album. Some great songs on it that don't get as much love as they deserve like Fear is the Key or Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is a good one, I'm glad they brought that back a few tours ago.  But I have overall not come around to enjoying the album like you have.  I'm not sure I ever will.  Same with NPFTD.  The Blaze albums both have some really strong songs on them though.  If only they never wrote The Angel and the Gambler and I would look upon Virtual 11 much better.  That is one of the worst songs I've ever heard from any band and I'm sad to admit that as IM are my favorite band ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5447 on: July 07, 2021, 01:54:07 PM »
Fear Of The Dark has tons of great songs on it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5448 on: July 07, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »

::)

:biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5449 on: July 07, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
What if Iron Maiden decided to ditch Eddie for at least one album?  Give Eddie a vacation and let an imposter like Hugh Syme make a cover out of stock images.
Do you think the album would sell as good without Eddie, even if the music would be their best ever?  🙃🤘
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5450 on: July 07, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »
What if Iron Maiden decided to ditch Eddie for at least one album?  Give Eddie a vacation and let an imposter like Hugh Syme make a cover out of stock images.
Do you think the album would sell as good without Eddie, even if the music would be their best ever?  🙃🤘

Similar to the DoD cover (minus Eddie)?  I don't know if it would impact sales as long as the music is good, but I think it may upset some fans.  Especially if it was a stock image type of cover. 

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5451 on: July 07, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »
I'm sure the lack of Eddie would haunt the music like a powerful restless spirit. Making it sound instantly bad to any mortal ears, no matter the quality of the songs!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5452 on: July 07, 2021, 02:50:10 PM »

Why?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5453 on: July 07, 2021, 02:55:37 PM »

Similar to the DoD cover (minus Eddie)?  I don't know if it would impact sales as long as the music is good, but I think it may upset some fans.  Especially if it was a stock image type of cover.

Well, the merch too.   It's kind of neat to get the local shirt, and have the tie -in to the record.   Eddie busting up the Brooklyn Bridge... etc.  Maiden is literally the ONLY band I buy shirts from at this stage of the game, and I don't think I'd buy a clown on a tightrope shirt with the Maiden logo over it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5454 on: July 07, 2021, 04:01:17 PM »

Why?
IDK, just a weird random thought..

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5455 on: July 07, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
They already had a cover done by Hugh Syme, didn't they? An h told me their idea at the time was to do a completely different take on their visual identity. That makes sense, because the shift also happened in their sound. But I have a feeling that their days of making bold statements are gone, and they'll keep playing to their strengths until the end of the band.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5456 on: July 07, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »

I love that record too and some of the deep cuts that nobody ever mentions are really cool songs - Fear is the Key, Childhood's End and The Fugitive, in particular.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5457 on: July 07, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »
FOTD still probably a top 5 Maiden album for me.  Judas also still a top 5 Maiden song.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5458 on: July 07, 2021, 10:49:12 PM »
FOTD still probably a top 5 Maiden album for me.  Judas also still a top 5 Maiden song.
I have the FOTD album, but I've only listened to it maybe two or three times.  The title track is a top tier song, but the rest of the album did nothing for me.  I should give it another chance and listen from a fresh perspective.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #5459 on: July 08, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
Just listened to the song "Powerslave" for the first time. That chorus! :hefdaddy

The bit from 5:02 to 5:13 reminds me of "Metropolis - Part I", also starting at 5:02. Has it ever been confirmed whether it's a tribute or something?